• Welcome to the new ACDCfans.net forum

Existing member? - You may need to reset your password. Use the 'forgot your password' link in the 'Log in' form to do this. You will need to enter your registered email address. If you have trouble logging in, send an email to

Iron Maiden - Senjutsu

Status
Not open for further replies.

medium_rare

So, the new Maiden album was released today - what do you think?

I think it's great! Only listened twice, but favourite so far is "Death of the Celts".

Initial impressions are that it's my favourite since Seventh Son... which is going back Somewhere in Time. See what I did there.

Still not a patch on the original "Iron Maiden" album of course, but very, very good IMO.

Last edited:
Stellar album. Nothing like Powerslave which is exactly what I want out of my Maiden

Predictable levels of tedium and monotony, mostly in the 4 Harris-penned tracks. Death of the Celts is the best of the four, though there are some good ideas in the Parchment I think. The title track is wonderful, as is the Time Machine.

To generalize (first listen):
Great - Senjutsu, the Time Machine
Good - The Writing on the Wall, Stratego, Darkest Hour, Death of the Celts
Decent - The Parchment
Totally forgettable - Hell on Earth, Days of Future Past, Lost in a Lost World

Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinPredictable levels of tedium and monotony, mostly in the 4 Harris-penned tracks. Death of the Celts is the best of the four, though there are some good ideas in the Parchment I think. The title track is wonderful, as is the Time Machine.

To generalize (first listen):
Great - Senjutsu, the Time Machine
Good - The Writing on the Wall, Stratego, Darkest Hour, Death of the Celts
Decent - The Parchment
Totally forgettable - Hell on Earth, Days of Future Past, Lost in a Lost World

I seem to remember you not digging PWR/UP all that much. So, maybe this will be Maiden's best album in decades!

Last edited:
Listened through it once, fully focused. I think it's absolutely one of the best albums they've done in the reunion era.
The high level of artistic intent is really impressive, they don't rely on nostalgia at all but just blast out these epics like they're still trying to make their best album.

I reckon ABBA´s new one will outsell this one.

To be fair, I think the new ABBA stuff will outsell everybody this year, even if it is complete shit. I have 2 mega-rare ABBA singles so I am thinking now might be the time to sell with all this hype

ABBA will out sell because people are sheep that like being told what to like...

another great album by the Maidens, a massive attack on the senses, lots to take in tho, especially with the over long tunes, just wondering which tunes would work live ?

Last edited:
Posted By: angus1878ABBA will out sell because people are sheep that like being told what to like...

Exactly like Maiden then

One s side-note. ABBA were asked why they are making the comeback and they said ”well we thought It would be better to do this before we are dead.”

I like their spirit

just been reading some posts on Maiden forums, not only have the box got the same booklet in it twice, but now some are saying they have received their box not sealed in shrink wrap, just a ready to open box ?, sound like Warners has reallly fucked up on this one !!

Posted By: CliffFINmark2One s side-note. ABBA were asked why they are making the comeback and they said ”well we thought It would be better to do this before we are dead.”

I like their spirit

True! And considering how little they have done the last 40+ years(other than musicals for Bjorn and Benny) they are filthy rich so i doupt they need the cash.

Sounds like Book of Souls part 2 with a bit more keyboards.
A few great songs but nothing special. Production once again let's it down. They desperately need to get Kevin Shirley and Steve Harris off the desk. I know they've been going for the whole "raw is better" idea since AMOLAD but when compared to a modern produced metal album like Judas Priest's Firepower for example it just falls completely flat.

Posted By: WholelottatobePosted By: CliffFINmark2One s side-note. ABBA were asked why they are making the comeback and they said ”well we thought It would be better to do this before we are dead.”

I like their spirit

True! And considering how little they have done the last 40+ years(other than musicals for Bjorn and Benny) they are filthy rich so i doupt they need the cash.
I've worked for Polar Music (ABBAs label) and met Björn quite a few times. He's not about the money in terms of actual financial gain, but he's very concerned about his legacy and success. The comeback is coordinated to re-ignite interest in ABBA, the museum and musical were also created for a similar purpose.

Funny how this has become an Abba/Iron Maiden joint thread. A rather unlikely combination!

My very rarest vinyl's however include :-

Soundhouse Tapes x 2 (1 signed by the wrong lineup of Iron Maiden, but I was a kid and didn't know better when I asked Bruce and Nikko to sign it )
Dutch Splatter
DDDDC Musicworld
Master of Puppets (signed by whole band including Cliff a week before he died)

and...

Sång Till Görel
Hovas Vittne ‎(signed by the Abba manager...the single was a celebration of his 50th birthday)

Posted By: nimetaFunny how this has become an Abba/Iron Maiden joint thread. A rather unlikely combination!

My very rarest vinyl's however include :-
Hovas Vittne ‎(signed by the Abba manager...the single was a celebration of his 50th birthday)
Impressive! I've seen it go on auctions for 20.000SEK.

For those who don't know, this is a single by ABBA that was only given out as a gift to guests at Stikkan Andersons birthday party and never sold in stores, making it incredibly rare.

For those who don't know, this is a single by ABBA that was only given out as a gift to guests at Stikkan Andersons birthday party and never sold in stores, making it incredibly rare.

I think it has sold for quite a bit more on Discogs. Only 500 pressed for the party, making it on a par with Splatter but I think ABBA are probably more popular.

I still think the Puppets signed by Cliff is cooler though. Almost impossible to value.

Posted By: nimeta

I think it has sold for quite a bit more on Discogs. Only 500 pressed for the party, making it on a par with Splatter but I think ABBA are probably more popular.

I still think the Puppets signed by Cliff is cooler though. Almost impossible to value.
No doubt your Puppets record is a billion times cooler. It will never go down in value, only up. The ABBA record is really niche and interesting though.

Not that it really belongs here, but there were some mentioning of other items. I have the Animalize LP by Kiss, signed by Simmons, Stanley, St. John and Carr.

Last edited:
Posted By: nimetaMy very rarest vinyl's however include :-

Soundhouse Tapes x 2

I will always maintain that the Soundhouse version of Strange World is superior to the album version.

i never consider something is "autographed" unless you yourself went out and got it personally !.....like saying ive got Elvis,s autograph, but never met the bloke !...is it the same ?

angus1878 said:
i never consider something is "autographed" unless you yourself went out and got it personally !.....like saying ive got Elvis,s autograph, but never met the bloke !...is it the same ?

Same. Not really into getting autographs anymore (used to collect motorcycle road racers signatures as a kid), a handshake does me.

Posted By: CliffFINmark2
11668022.jpg

Now this was a singer

^^^^^^^ This.
Such an underrated singer.

Posted By: nimeta
Soundhouse Tapes x 2 (1 signed by the wrong lineup of Iron Maiden, but I was a kid and didn't know better when I asked Bruce and Nikko to sign it )
Master of Puppets (signed by whole band including Cliff a week before he died)

The Master of Puppets is easy to value... it's priceless!

The Soundhouse tapes one... I'm going to start another thread as I'm interested in hearing from the Collectors.
I'd love to own the Soundhouse Tapes, trouble is I don't know what to look for and I'd be ripped off.

angus1878 said:

fwiw, I got the Cliff signature myself. I have the ticket, program and also Ride the Lightning vinyl signed.

angus1878 said:

I received the album as the result of a competition arranged by a magazine. That is quite odd thing to say that it is not autographed unless I saw them do it themselves, in this case.

Last edited:
angus1878 said:

I received the album as the result of a competition arranged by a magazine. That is quite odd thing to say that it is not autographed unless I saw them do it themselves, in this case.

I just think it means more to have the guy sign it in front of you. And no matter what authentication you have, personally I would always have that seed of doubt in my mind.

Back on topic, I'd say Senjutsu is one of the best rock albums of the 21st centuty so far. Really ambitious, epic and immersive in a way that most other bands can't even come close to. They're easily the best-aging band of their generation.

Zan said:
Back on topic, I'd say Senjutsu is one of the best rock albums of the 21st centuty so far.
Far cry from that to my ears....not hearing any instant classics so far, few of the tracks really stand out too. Writing on the Wall & Stratego are the most obvious single choices.

Zan said:
Back on topic, I'd say Senjutsu is one of the best rock albums of the 21st centuty so far. Really ambitious, epic and immersive in a way that most other bands can't even come close to. They're easily the best-aging band of their generation.

Its getting very good reviews almost everywhere. I am struggling to see the excitement even though i would quite like to enjoy a 5 star (Gruandian review) rock album in 2021.

I read somewhere that Steve Harriss had said that the song Senjutsu would be a great set opener... Not too sure about that, not strong enough IMO. They need something like "Aces High", I think "The Writing On The Wall" would be a better opening song.

Really digging "The Parchment" at the moment, but it took about 10 listens to get into it.

I love 80's Maiden. Their last several albums sound more or less the same to me.

Zan said:
Back on topic, I'd say Senjutsu is one of the best rock albums of the 21st centuty so far.
Far cry from that to my ears....not hearing any instant classics so far, few of the tracks really stand out too. Writing on the Wall & Stratego are the most obvious single choices.
If you're into progressive metal, then this album is pure heaven. I think they've updated their signature sound in a genius way-

Posted By: medium_rareI read somewhere that Steve Harriss had said that the song Senjutsu would be a great set opener... Not too sure about that, not strong enough IMO. They need something like "Aces High", I think "The Writing On The Wall" would be a better opening song.

Really digging "The Parchment" at the moment, but it took about 10 listens to get into it.
They've been more succesful in writing longer epics than they've been at writing punchy singles these last few decades. I blasted it at full volume and really concentrated when listening through the whole album and got really, really into it. The Parchemnt would be almost Spinal Tap-like silly if made by any other band, but Iron Maiden are just so epic they blow my pants off with that type of stuff.

They've certainly been writing more epics than short punchy songs, but IDK if I'd say more successfully so. The last album I liked was Final Frontier, and the best songs were mostly shorter ones like Coming Home, Mother of Mercy and The Alchemist. Isle of Avalon was a sleeper epic though, much better than Where the Wild Wind Blows, which didn't musically live up to the hype of its story. Not sure where you'd put Starblind and Talisman, but those were very good songs too. Epics for most bands, but normal length for Maiden, haha.

AMOLAD was the high point of reunion-Maiden IMO.

I still haven't listened to the new album though, BOS left me totally bored so I hope it's not just another one like that.

Last edited:
ToiletWallPoet said:
I still haven't listened to the new album though, BOS left me totally bored so I hope it's not just another one like that.

Give it a listen mate, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. Much better than BOS I think.

ToiletWallPoet said:

Give it a listen mate, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. Much better than BOS I think.
It's a lot better than BOS. That album probably has the weakest short songs since the Blaze-era. Death or Glory is Maiden at their most uninspired, it's their third or fourth song about fighter airplanes so the subject in itself is tiresome. Empire saves the album for me, Bruce really knocked it out of the park with that one and it redeems the album from some of its weaker middle tracks.
Senjutsu is their best since Brave New World I'd say, a lot of fans and critics seems to agree. Some say it's the best since 7th son, and in quality of composition I guess you could make that arguement.

Last edited:
Zan said:
Senjutsu is their best since Brave New World I'd say, a lot of fans and critics seems to agree.

That sounds promising. I liked Brave New World and Dance Of Death, but they've been losing me a bit since then. Still some good songs though, and their new stuff is better than a lot of other bands of their age.

The artwork on the new album is awesome.

So I am not a heavy metal fan, and whilst i was into Maiden around the release of first two albums, I drifted away when Bruce joined.
I've gone back and given them a chance here and there, seen them live a number of times, but it's never really stuck.

However of late, I'm starting to appreciate them more, although the music still doesn't really move me like the bands I love.

To me, this album isn't bad, and has a few highlights, but I'm really not getting what has been said by Bruce and a few comments on here about it being different for them, updated, ambitious. It sounds like dyed in the wool, formulaic Maiden to me. So I guess for the fans it's a winner!

Must have listened the album 6-7 times since release. No matter how much I want to like it, it doesn't really do much for me for now. Songs are just unnecessarily too long and the shorter ones are not that memorable.

Although Book of Souls is an uneven album, there are 4 songs on it which are really good. Senjutsu is more even, but nothing stands out as a great song. Still, some really exciting moments on Lost in a Lost World, Death of the Celts and The Time Machine. I hope the songs will grow on me with with time.

Fantastic art direction! Thank you for posting. The Parchment could be my favorite modern Maiden track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom