• Welcome to the new ACDCfans.net forum

Existing member? - To log in you must reset your password. Use the 'forgot your password' link in the 'Log in' form and enter your registered email address. If you have trouble logging in, send an email to

great news for Quo lovers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pod

classic-quo-are-back

"Francis Rossi has confirmed speculation that the original lineup of Status Quo are getting back together.

He, Rick Parfitt, bassist Alan Lancaster and drummer John Coghlan will tour the UK and record an album next year. But the project will exist alongside the current Quo, which will also release a new record."

Great news as this was the lineup that recorded the bands finest albums, Piledriver, Hello, etc..., when Quo were still a serious band.

This Quo

24972.jpg

an image that just spoke to me a decade after release, even before I heard the music

I'll be looking at tour dates for sure.

Back in the day, Quo were THE rocker's band and with the advent of the surge of rock late 70's, the rocker's line-up evolved into Quo, AC/DC, Motorhead, Rush and Rainbow.

Never were one of my favourite bands, but got dragged along to the Hammy for the "Whatever you want" tour.

I remember doing this when I was 11 or 12, and I'd still do it now if they played Quo at any function with a bar.

this is like saying: "great news for lovers of the C, F and G chords"

Keep it simple, that's the knack of great rock n roll as Angus and Malcolm will tell you. Status Quo made some oustanding music in the 70's with this lineup. Sadly it appears they'll only really be remembered for shit like In The Army Now and Somethin' 'bout You Baby I like. I for one am stoked with this news. I just hope that Alan Lancaster's health holds up.

A nice slow burner with some great guitar work

Sorry, but this has got me dusting down some Quo. piledriver is a corking album, and this is one of the best on there for me. Just brilliant live too.

benji12394 said:
this is like saying: "great news for lovers of the C, F and G chords"

No different than when we get "great news for lovers of the A, D, B, and E chords". ;)

Great vid Pod, not seen that before. I was one of the many who used to stand in a line doing the 'greaser' at discos in the 70's, headbanging didn't really come in if you were at a night club or disco until the 80's. I've only seen Quo live once (Donington in 1982) but if the original line up tours, I will be there. (although it does have echoes of another British rock band who started in the 60's and who didn't quite make the full reunion line up, watch your back Coughlan!)

Parfitt playing an SG!

Hahahaha. Fair point, although it looks like Lancaster may be the one who struggles. Multiple sclerosis is a shitty thing to have, I guess it depends on the severity for him. Great song by the way.

I've heard that he's coping and staying well, which is about as best you can hope for with MS. I bought all their records back in the day, but just never caught them on tour. There's lots of debates about when they turned to the boogie, but I think this is the earliest 'heavy' song they did....
=related

Even my mum caught Quo live (Poole Arts Centre, the End of the Road Tour in 1984). She loved them but did keep commenting on the 'odd smelling' cigarettes a couple of lads were smoking near us.

Nice little interview clip with Rossi and Parfitt about that 'final' tour.

I think you'll find an awfull lot of british DC fans jumped on the AC/DC wagon from the Quo one.
Its the next progression.
Definitely a british thing and almost definitely a "you had to be there" thing.

Quo have some cracking tunes. A bar band who made it big.

56Century said:
Must be a British thing

GoZone said:
is this thread a joke?

ha ha haaaa. I love the bemusement in those 2 posts

But to answer, its mainly a british thing with some euorope thrown in and no its not a joke. Might just pop along when they hit town

Great news !

Their last album: Quid Pro Quo, is just great,excellent album !!

Pod,they still are a serious band !

And this is a serious riff

Posted By: Diamond JimGreat news !

Their last album: Quid Pro Quo, is just great,excellent album !!

Pod,they still are a serious band !

And this is a serious riff

I gave up when they made In The Army now. Awful song. I have heard good things about the latest album to be fair so I may have to check it out.

The Quo were the first big band that I saw live back in 1990, when they played a local sports centre. I never was a huge fan but they put on a decent show live plus my dad was a fan so naturally it was played a lot at home.

Yes Pod,check it out.Quid Pro Quo remind me their early 80's style,not that In The Army Now-shit..fortunately !

A little bit off topic but, goin to see the quo this saturday, in a festival that only started last year in my small home town of Enniscorthy, Ireland, will only have a few thousand at it, can't wait.. my first time seein them, also this is my 1st post in a long time!! lol

Last edited:
Akenny01 said:
A little bit off topic but, goin to see the quo this saturday, in a festival that only started last year in my small home town of Enniscorthy, Ireland, will only have a few thousand at it, can't wait.. my first time seein them, also this is my 1st post in a long time!! lol

Be sure and have a couple of beers 1st (like you need telling) and get with your mates, and you'll have a great time for sure.

Posted By: Diamond JimYes Pod,check it out.Quid Pro Quo remind me their early 80's style,not that In The Army Now-shit..fortunately !

On your advice, I been checking out some more recent Quo. This week I am mostly liking Heavy Traffic and In search Of The 4th Chord.

watch

Posted By: Diamond JimKeep up the good work,Pod.

Here's some older stuff..

Love the 'Quo' album. As good as any they've done IMO.

Milton Keynes, the end of the road on the End of the Road Tour. Great tour. 2 1/2 hours of Quo, no openers.

=related

Then they came back to steal the show the following year, opening for this little spectacular

i go back to the early days with Mean Girl and Down the dustpipe i was never really into Led Zep or Sabbath and Deep purple but loved the fast and furious Caroline and Paper Plane and the early albums especially the double album Live at the NEC .. some serious head banging

angus5041 said:
the double album Live at the NEC .. some serious head banging

That double album is Quo+Live, but you're right,it's some serious head banging !

Just got 4 standing tickets for the Frantic Four Reunion gig at the Hammy on the Saturday night. Just hope the band can keep it together till then, it is only 4 months away but this is Status Quo we're talking about.

Besides squabbling, a mate has seen the Hello Quo film and says Alan looks quite ill in it. Fingers crossed.

Was reading the other day that all the reunion gigs will be on sale in download or CD format

DisplayArtist.html

Always a nice little memento. The Wembley gig is also getting a DVD release apparently. Shame really. Would be nice if it was in a more intimate setting, like the Hammy say. The Saturday night seems the obvious choice to me....

3 words spring to my mind right now. Can not wait.

got me ticket for manchester ,,,cant wait

just downloaded the HELLO QUO movie,,,superb

hope alan lancaster lasts the tour...he looks well wrecked

Last edited:
The most shocking thing, and the one thing I just CAN'T get my head around watching that.

Rossi without a ponytail!!!!

Last edited:
Fantastic show. They rocked their socks off, not a medley or a Marguerita Time in sight. Only complaint was it was a bit short, 85 mins but if you like poundingly heavy boogie rock played at stupid loud volume....

DC/79 said:
Fantastic show. They rocked their socks off, not a medley or a Marguerita Time in sight. Only complaint was it was a bit short, 85 mins but if you like poundingly heavy boogie rock played at stupid loud volume....

Sounds right up my street. Tomorrow night can not come soon enough

I may have unjustly ignored these fellas, as they were in my teens praised by the same people who thought that Dire Straits were a great rock 'n' roll band. The couple of links I opened were definitely not bad.

I know technology has moved forwards but how about this....In my mate's car on the way home, we listened to an official cd of the gig we'd just been to, complete with printed cover and disc. As soon as the gig finished he went to buy a shirt after the gig and I went to the pub at the back of the Apollo. I was halfway through my 2nd pint (about 15 mins) when he turned up with the booty!

Kerhonen said:
I may have unjustly ignored these fellas, as they were in my teens praised by the same people who thought that Dire Straits were a great rock 'n' roll band. The couple of links I opened were definitely not bad.
This Quo is not the Quo that were around in the 80's mate....that was a completely different (crap) animal!

"This Quo is not the Quo that were around in the 80's mate....that was a completely different (crap) animal!"

- OK, man. I'm gonna give these guys a fair trial. So far no beef with these dudes.

Love the way they use the Jackie Lynton 'Live' intro to announce the band. Nice touch. Alan sounds bloody good there, nice to see given his health issues.

I've ordered my CD online, as I can't be arsed waiting at/near the venue after the gig when it finishes early enough to hit the pub (gotta take advantage of the rare moments you get away without the kids). Is the sound good quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom