[ Sign In | Register ]

•  
      AC/DC rock music: morevish
    • Jul 14th 2015

After my first short impressions of the gig, this is a bit more extensive write up of the gig in Gelsenkirchen I visited with my 15-year old daughter.

We left our place in the Netherlands late morning, on a typical Dutch summerday (grey skies and sleazy rain) and after a swift ride on the German Autobahn we arrived in our hotel in Recklinghausen, about 15 mins. from Gelsenkirchen. Following a prompt check in and a short rest we headed to the Veltins Arena, parking the car at the designated P+R area as advised by the Veltins website. A short transfer later, we were dropped at 1,5 km from the stadium, meaning we had to walk quite a bit, and after sighting the first food stand with Bratwurst and Pommes (french fries), we had our late lunch, the food stand being a good shelter from the rain. Didn't need to put Brylcream in my hair as the greasy fumes from the deepfryers and smoking sausages being grilled did their work to keep my receding hairline in place.
    Anyway, we decided to skip the pre-show beers at Der Schalker, as we didn't feel like walking through the rain for another kilometer or so, and headed to the stadium instead, having enough time to explore the place, taking some pics and chatting to some friendly locals.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    (Proud) father and daughter, before the show.

We took some further refreshments, using the Arena debit card system, an efficient way to order the beers and Bratwuerste, and an even more efficient way to empty your wallet (with prices for a cup of water being the same as the Veltins beer, a hefty EUR 4,50 - I think Germany is the only place in the world where beer costs the same amount of money as water...).

The Whiskey Foundation, a blues/rock band from Munich opened shortly after six, which proved to be quite an ungrateful job with the place being only half full, prompting lukewarm reactions from the crowd. They reminded me a bit of The Doors.
    More success for Vintage Trouble, a decent act with a skilled and entertaining frontman/singer, I really appreciated their music and I am sure we will hear from them in the future. Also the crowd appreciated their short gig, a perfect warm up for the main act. In this case the greatest fucking Rock 'n Roll band of this planet.
    At exactly 20:45 (talking about being "puenktlich"), the gig started off with the intro, followed by an excellent version of RoB. Goosebumps, to hear and see the band live, and goosebumps/watery eyes to see my daughter enjoying the show. The setlist is known, no surprises, but it was a tight and fun gig, with the guys clearly enjoying themselves. I particularly enjoyed RoB, HAABPTB, SDIF, Sin City, HV and BIB, as well as Baptism, not being my favourite from the RoB album, but a very spirited performance of this track this evening. With mentioning these songs, I don't want to do injustice to the other tracks, it was an entertaining and tight performance with Brian at his best (unbelievable to hear him fucking sing his ass off at his age and mincing all the way through the show), Angus the ultimate performer (I particularly enjoyed him sliding the guitar with this tie during HV - and by the way I lost count how many times he changed his guitar this evening), Stevie and Cliff being the reliable engine, with even acceptable BV's, and Chris drumming as he should be drumming, no complaints regards his performance, although it's not the same groove as The Rudd can produce (but we have been discussing this in countless threads already, don't want to start all over, Slade being the best drummer for the band at this stage of their career).
    Epic performance of LTBR, although I would have preferred a shorter version which would have allowed for another track.
    Anyway, at the end, no complaints, a great performance from my all time favourite band. I didn't notice any mistakes, but I have to admit that I was not in the mood to pay particular attention to possible flaws. One thing I noticed was that the riff in Thunderstruck was a bit weak, or powerless I don't know how to describe this properly.

After exactly 2 hours, and not a second longer, the show ended with the famous canons and some firework display, completing an epic night for me and my daughter.

Ambience:
    The Germans take this band serious, not without reason why Germany is prime AC/DC territory. Having said this, going to an indoors gig of the band in the Bundesrepublik is a family outing for many: I saw kids as young as 8 years old (and I being wary of taking my 15-year old...) as well as people in their late 50's and early 60's. The atmosphere was, as a result, very relaxed and friendly, I didn't notice any incident or trouble whatsoever. You can call it a bit tame (I call it like that), at some stage I thought I was the only one in the section where we were who was RTFO. This can be confirmed by my daughter, asking me the rhetorical question "Dad, you did have fun tonight, haven't you?" Some dudes behind us just stayed seated the whole gig, only leaving their place to get fresh beers.... I mean, when the band stroke their first chords, it was impossible for me to stay seated. Gelsenkirchen is clearly not Madrid or Buenos Aires.... This is not a criticism or negative comments, it's how I experieced the ambience at Veltins.
    Additionally, where we were standing, the Osttribune, the sound was quite good, no complaints about the acoustics (unless the Amsterdam Arena, which is abysmal), BUT: it was not loud to me. We brought our earplugs as a precautionary measure, but didn't need to use them, and after the gig there was no sign of hearing issues like tinnitus or so.

Anyway, on a final note I have to say that logistically it was well organised. After the show we walked back to the pick up point for the shuttle, and within 10 minutes we were at the parking place, and after a short drive we were in the hotel before midnight.

All in all, a memorable experience, and we will definitely be there in 2016, for the second leg of the tour. Rock on!
    Veltins Arena

Thunderstruck

•  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Jul 15th 2015

Excellent stuff!

Looks like a great venue, similar to Arnhem.
    • AC/DC rock music: shocker
    • Jul 15th 2015

It is a lot bigger than Gelredome in Arnhem.

Maybe they will play in Amsterdam Arena next year.
    Here are some nice articles from "BILD" about their stay in Düsseldorf before and after the gig in Gelsenkirchen.

1.) The Band relaxing, walking, shopping and have a good time at the "Breidenbacher Hof" in Düsseldorf on the famous boulevard "KÖ".

2.) Stevie on bargain hunting...

3.) Stevie gives his bag of fruits to a beggar...!

• Jul 15th 2015

Fuck, I also stayed in Dusseldorf but I didn`t see them there.
    All pics copyright by "BILD Nrw"

•  
      AC/DC rock music: jonalba
    • Jul 15th 2015

LOL at the Sale headline

Another great tape, a bit out of sync but the best so far...

PLAY BALL

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Jul 15th 2015

Great review morevish and lol at the dusseldorf pictures. Just one thing; hope they NEVER gonna play the Amsterdam Arena again. It was a disaster soundwise in 2009. Please Goffertpark instead.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: benji
    • Jul 15th 2015

Posted By: riffraff007Another great tape, a bit out of sync but the best so far...

PLAY BALL

Play Ball is getting better and better. I love this song. All we need now is for Brian to get the lyrics in the verse right.
    good read thanks for giving your review
    Posted By: shockerFuck, I also stayed in Dusseldorf but I didn`t see them there.

The Düsseldorf Newspaper "RP-online" reported that the Band checked in on July 9th and left 14th at the Breidenbach So they had some days off. If you want to meet the band in the near future there is no better place than this. They love the spirit and shopping mall of Düsseldorf as well as the crew of Breidenbach: "Serious just normal people they are, no extra wishes, friendly."
    Posted By: ThankassGreat review morevish and lol at the dusseldorf pictures. Just one thing; hope they NEVER gonna play the Amsterdam Arena again. It was a disaster soundwise in 2009. Please Goffertpark instead.
    This This and This again. Even if I get a free ticket I won't go. The sound is ten times worse then Wembley.
    Posted By: riffraff007Another great tape, a bit out of sync but the best so far...

PLAY BALL

"I said it's, party time and I'm on the loo"
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Jul 15th 2015

Terrific Review.
    • Jul 15th 2015

This was an amazing night I`ve never forget.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: morevish
    • Jul 17th 2015

Thanks guys, it was a memorable night!
    I've listened to all gigs during ROB Tour but this is something special. You know what?
    I think that should be the next bluRay. Gelsenkirchen Arena.

We all know angus has a special relationship with Düsseldorf. just found this snippet recorded in a small cafe in düsseldorf a few years ago. Fortuna Düsseldorf is a football club. Taped spontaneously by WDR, german tv.

Posted By: riffraff007We all know angus has a special relationship with Düsseldorf. just found this snippet recorded in a small cafe in düsseldorf a few years ago. Fortuna Düsseldorf is a football club. Taped spontaneously by WDR, german tv.

Why would you think this is a few years ago? I have a feeling this could be recent based on his hair and his look.
    It’s a from a few years ago. I remember when it was dropped and first posted on here
    Posted By: SpellboundIt’s a from a few years ago. I remember when it was dropped and first posted on here

I’m assuming pre-RoB in that case?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Spellbound
    • Nov 4th 2018 edited

I want to say 2012 or 2013. Nudging closer to the latter. Definitely during the dead silence.
    Trying to recover the vid.

Article on Rheinische Post from 8. März 2019 um 15:01 Uhr
    https://rp-online.de...

Original article from 8. März 2019 um 20:56 Uhr
    https://rp-online.de...
    Needs to scroll down quite a bit.
    Year had been 2012, Düsseldoof winning Frankfurtz 4:0,
    but says both clubs ascendet that year.

Article also says, PR-agency fetching Angus demanded removing of vid shortly after.

Articles likely got unproffesionally moved on the servers,
    not preserving the main timestamps.
    Journalists should probably start to weave exact dates and
    times into their texts, to prevent such

Back to the Future incidents.

Found 3 articles of Bild about their Düsselldorf stay,
    unfortunately, pics seem to have lost contact to the CSS,
    or got otherwise somewhere ...

Stevie and the pauper; btw. sommer OK, but
    in the other seasons they need sugar and fat.
    https://m.bild.de/re...
    Article says, pauper in Methadon-substitution,
    started with alc and hash over to heroine.
    Father died early, Mother working full-time,
    too much loneliness.

7-year old fetching photo and autograph from Brian:
    Brian still married to wife Brenda.

Angus with one security guard giving autographs:
    Many people, all get autographs, one fan hands
    him a guitar, that he signes.
    The former 7-year old again there.