[ Sign In | Register ]

Phil taking care of the boss

•  
      AC/DC rock music: SHOO23L
    • May 2nd 2021

Posted By: matirockerPhil taking care of the boss

Laying down some Powerage tracks. George has his new StingRay, and Phil has the clear fishbowls set up.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Jun 21st 2021

Posted By: Thankass

I'm gonna guess it's 1979, Highway to Hell tour, some dingy hotel room in the UK or Europe, the boys are trying out some new riffs, maybe Back in Black or Shake a Leg.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Goulash
    • Jul 15th 2021

The lady without whom we would never have had Bon Scott.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Jul 15th 2021

Posted By: GoulashThe lady without whom we would never have had Bon Scott.

Wow, that must have been an honor. Would you mind telling the story behind it?
    Posted By: Rocco

Story Time!! :P
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: FreoBoy
    • Jul 16th 2021

Well there is a dead giveaway that this is photographed in W.A , there is a can of Bush Chook on the table ;))
    •  
    • Jul 16th 2021

I went to Australia for the Razors Edge Tour. It was a fantastic trip. In Sydney I was walking past the backstage entrance when a car pulled up. The window wound down and AC/DC's tour manager said "Hey it's Darren isn't it?" He then got on his radio to the production office and said "I'm sending Darren back. Make sure he gets a laminate!"
    Had loads of encounters on that tour, including Colin Burgess but the highlight happened in Perth. After the show, Ella came over and said "Here's someone I'd like you to meet." It was Bon's mum. We chatted for ages and she was amazing.
    The next day I was walking through Fremantle Town centre, on my way to visit Bon's grave when I heard a Scottish voice say "Hello again!" it was Bon's mum, out shopping with his dad. That was the highlight of my life. I really can't thank Ella enough for introducing us.

Posted By: Goulash

I went to Australia for the Razors Edge Tour. It was a fantastic trip. In Sydney I was walking past the backstage entrance when a car pulled up. The window wound down and AC/DC's tour manager said "Hey it's Darren isn't it?" He then got on his radio to the production office and said "I'm sending Darren back. Make sure he gets a laminate!"
    Had loads of encounters on that tour, including Colin Burgess but the highlight happened in Perth. After the show, Ella came over and said "Here's someone I'd like you to meet." It was Bon's mum. We chatted for ages and she was amazing.
    The next day I was walking through Fremantle Town centre, on my way to visit Bon's grave when I heard a Scottish voice say "Hello again!" it was Bon's mum, out shopping with his dad. That was the highlight of my life. I really can't thank Ella enough for introducing us.

AMAZING!!
    Awesome story - got to meet mum and dad! - and yes, cans of VB in the background. Definitely Australia.

You would have stuck out like a sore thumb in Fremantle.
    Thats incredible, amazing story
    •  
    • Jul 16th 2021

Posted By: CantEvenFeedMyCatAwesome story - got to meet mum and dad! - and yes, cans of VB in the background. Definitely Australia.

EMU Export not VB ;)
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Jul 16th 2021

Just a class story and pics all round.
    Posted By: FreoBoy
    Posted By: CantEvenFeedMyCatAwesome story - got to meet mum and dad! - and yes, cans of VB in the background. Definitely Australia.

EMU Export not VB ;)

Green and red ones next to Goulash's arm look like VB to me. That must be Emu Export on the far left (red can)?
    • AC/DC rock music: St. Looy
    • Jul 16th 2021

Still have the copy of that last picture that Goulash sent me back then, coming up for 30 years ago! Even re-found the letter that came with it a year or so back - it's since gone under in a box again somewhere. Much envy at the time - and now :-).
    •  
    • Jul 16th 2021 edited

Posted By: St. LooyStill have the copy of that last picture that Goulash sent me back then, coming up for 30 years ago! Even re-found the letter that came with it a year or so back - it's since gone under in a box again somewhere. Much envy at the time - and now :-).

We've both got such magical memories my friend. I'm envious of you getting to hit the Hells Bell.
    •  
    • Jul 16th 2021

What an amazing story!
    •  
    • Jul 16th 2021 edited

Posted By: CantEvenFeedMyCat
    Posted By: FreoBoy

EMU Export not VB ;)

Green and red ones next to Goulash's arm look like VB to me. That must be Emu Export on the far left (red can)?

Ah yeh haha so there is... I didnt even see them up there :))
    •  
    • Jul 18th 2021

Great story and photo's. Bon really got his mum's looks.
    Second photo is proof that it was very windy at the 1991 TRE Australia gigs.
    •  
    • Jul 18th 2021

Posted By: ThankassGreat story and photo's. Bon really got his mum's looks.
    Second photo is proof that it was very windy at the 1991 TRE Australia gigs.8

That was those pesky cannons :-)
    Goulash, thank you. What a story:)
    •  
    • Jul 18th 2021

Posted By: CliffFINmark2Goulash, thank you. What a story:)

My pleasure mate. 30 years later and the memories still make me feel like the luckiest bloke on earth.
    • AC/DC rock music: acdc1988
    • Jul 19th 2021

...actually you probably are the luckiest bloke on earth, but i'm sure it's well deserved.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Starsky
    • Jul 19th 2021

for pretty much anyone on this forum you definitely are the luckiest bloke in the world. Can't say I have done any single thing better in my now 21 years, than regularily hanging out with Brian or meeting Bon's mum. Or any of the boys in fact.
    •  
    • Jul 19th 2021

Posted By: Starskyfor pretty much anyone on this forum you definitely are the luckiest bloke in the world. Can't say I have done any single thing better in my now 21 years, than regularily hanging out with Brian or meeting Bon's mum. Or any of the boys in fact.

Thanks for the kind words folks. On the plus side (for you) Starsky, you've probably got another 60 years left to listen to AC/DC :-)
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Starsky
    • Jul 19th 2021

Posted By: Starskyfor pretty much anyone on this forum you definitely are the luckiest bloke in the world. Can't say I have done any single thing better in my now 21 years, than regularily hanging out with Brian or meeting Bon's mum. Or any of the boys in fact.

Thanks for the kind words folks. On the plus side (for you) Starsky, you've probably got another 60 years left to listen to AC/DC :-)

Haha, if I never get to go to a gig, I hope I'll be able to see them in ultra-realistic freeroam VR or some shit in 2065.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: SHOO23L
    • Jul 23rd 2021

When were you in Canada to get the Pizza Pizza sweatshirt? ;)
    •  
    • Jul 23rd 2021

Posted By: SHOO23L

When were you in Canada to get the Pizza Pizza sweatshirt? ;)

Well spotted. I spent 3 weeks hitchhiking round Ontario in June 1990, 16 months before this photo. One of the rides was with a guy who worked for Pizza Pizza and he gave me a sweatshirt and a load of vouchers for free pizzas.
    •  
    • Aug 26th 2021

Just found this photo of me and Simon Wright. No matter what your opinion of his drumming he was a nice guy and part of the history.

•  
    • Aug 26th 2021

Posted By: GoulashJust found this photo of me and Simon Wright. No matter what your opinion of his drumming he was a nice guy and part of the history.

I always thought he would have been a much better choice than Slade to replace Phil on the ROB tour. I've seen videos of him drumming with that Australian tribute-act Bon But Not Forgotten (that at the time also featured Mark Evans, SoloDallas, the singer of The Poor and ex-The-Angels-guitarist James Morley) and he did an absolute outstanding job.
    • Aug 27th 2021

He certainly knew how to not "tickle it". Here's his snare skin and stick from the WMW video shoot - and he was only playing along to playback.
    Love that story!
    •  
    • Aug 27th 2021

Posted By: St. LooyHe certainly knew how to not "tickle it". Here's his snare skin and stick from the WMW video shoot - and he was only playing along to playback.

Remember badgering Simon into doing a drum solo? Great times indeed.
    •  
    • Aug 27th 2021

Posted By: St. LooyHe certainly knew how to not "tickle it". Here's his snare skin and stick from the WMW video shoot - and he was only playing along to playback.

Remember badgering Simon into doing a drum solo? Great times indeed.
    What was the story with Angus jumping of the balcony? I believe he was attached to a cable or something but that was too long? Did he get himself injured? Was this part "videoshopped" into the end result? I don't think he really jumped within the people underneath him?
    • Aug 27th 2021 edited

Yes, he did jump from the Brixton Academy's foyer balcony and he was on a cable. Can't remember now if it was people holding onto the cable or if a damper was holding it. Either way, on that first jump his legs swung too far forward and slipped out from under him on landing. Couple of bruises maybe, but nothing to worry about. Mallet had him do it again, but it's the first one that was used in the video, you can see his legs are forward but you don't see the landing. I was standing next to George Bodnar when he clicked the shutter for the stills.
    Much to our mirth, there was a guy responsible for distributing the dry ice with a sheet of cardboard, so before each take Mallet would order "waft Jeremy". Highly amused us didn't it Goulash :-). Still say it in our house when a fart needs redistributing.

We were all disapponted that the band weren't plugged in and that we never got to hear them play (video shoots were new to us as at the time), so as Simon was the only one audiable, Goulash and I started a chant for a drum solo - after it caught on and there was no ignoring it, Simon went for it: one light tap on the high hat. That was the drum solo. Years later he told me he hadn't known what to do, but felt that it wouldn't have been wise to rise to the bait. As he said, half jokingly, "it was in the contract - no keyboards - no drum solos!".
    •  
    • Aug 27th 2021

What was the story with Angus jumping of the balcony? I believe he was attached to a cable or something but that was too long? Did he get himself injured? Was this part "videoshopped" into the end result? I don't think he really jumped within the people underneath him?

It was brilliant to watch. Angus was nervous but a great sport. He was on a wire. He did the jump and no, he didn't injure himself. One of the best video shoots but it was bloody freezing in that venue (Brixton Academy).
    It's interesting how the ending came about. St Looy can correct me if my memory lets me down but here's how I remember it...
    The video was supposed to end with Angus on the stage, getting covered in slime that was to be released from the Ray gun that was hanging from the ceiling - very much a sleazy metaphor. Just before filming that scene, some bright spark pointed out that all the stage electrics were directly under the spot where Angus was to get gunked and moisture and electricity might not be a good mix. A different ending was needed at short notice and we got the cap being thrown onto the guitar. At least we got to keep our favourite guitar hero alive.
    Posted By: St. Looy it's the first one that was used in the video, you can see his legs are forward but you don't see the landing.

No kidding, I always wondered why that shot looked so weird. I always thought it was because it was faked and video editing tech was not great in 1986. A strange decision to use that take for that reason.

Coincidentally, they re-uploaded WMW's video in HD:

•  
    • Aug 27th 2021 edited

Hey St Looy, I've just read your post and pissed myself at the wafting. I'd forgotten about that. I do recall people being used on the other end of Ang's rope to slow him down. I also remember meeting Mark Putterford that day and who could forget Floyd, the choreographer?
    Did somebody jostle or bump the camera just prior to Angus falling onto the stage?