[ Sign In | Register ]

How anyone can say that TRE is a superior album to BI is beyond me. Yes, I'm slightly worse for wear tonight, which is why I've been haranging Ulstersaint tonight about why he is wrong. By the end he was agreeing with me...don't deny it. TRE is the dogshite on the bottom of my shoe and BI is the polish. TRE is all filler and if I have to be honest it is the lowest point of my AC/DC listening career...its the sound of a band on auto pilot, no inspiration (apart from TS). Thunderstruck, the razors edge, shot of love all killer tracks...but fuck me me the rest is total fucking shite. Black Ice on the other hand is packed with quality DC songs...a veritable feast of top notch fillet in comarison with the horse burger on offer from TRE. Don't disagree with me cos I'm right on this one. If BI was a 10 track opus we would be comparing it to FTATR or HTH....fact (copyright GoZone)

Bolton 3 West Ham 1- come on you you white men!!!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: BFET
    • Dec 15th 2009

Carlos: "If BI was a 10 track opus we would be comparing it to FTATR or HTH....fact"

^^^I can almost agree with that (apart from the lyrics of course, but even they were a tad better this time out) since the instramentals are really there. The riffs are there. When the solos are there, they are great. In the end though, I'm glad I got every single one of those 15 tracks because wed be complaining about it years down the line if we didnt get em.

Carlos: "TRE is all filler and if I have to be honest it is the lowest point of my AC/DC listening career...its the sound of a band on auto pilot, no inspiration (apart from TS). Thunderstruck, the razors edge, shot of love all killer tracks...but fuck me me the rest is total fucking shite."

^^^ I feel sorry for you if this is what you really think. It is actually a great album. Not one of the best by DC standards, but a fantastic rock n roll album in every way. The only songs I see as filler are probably RYHO and LMI, but even those are pretty decent tracks. If you think FYG, MT, AYR, and GYBTB are all filler you need to get your head checked. The others that I didnt mention are great too.

TRE catches a little too much flak and saying how shitty it is seems to just be the fashionable thing to do right now... You know what else used to be fashionable?\

...mullets.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: bonlives
    • Dec 15th 2009

Fire Your Guns, Moneytalks (sure, its poppy... but so is Anything Goes and I like that), Shot Of Love, Thunderstruck and TRE... all great tracks in my opinion. I can't split TRE and Black Ice - they are of the same calibre to me. I would err on the side of TRE however, only because it holds great memories and as I've said before, its the emotions that music evokes that determines quality for me.

•  
    • Dec 15th 2009

Moneytalks just doesnt go down as poppy to me. That fuckin' riff is ballstastic.

•  
    • Dec 15th 2009

I say poppy because one could consider it very mainstream and appealing to fans of pop music. It's still balls out rock though

Fuck yes it is^

if money talks is considered than Rock n Roll Damnation is too, and so is High Voltage, and Shot Down In Flames (and the list goes on)

•  
    • Dec 15th 2009

Close crispy, but I don't see those songs you mentioned in the same way as Moneytalks (perhaps HV, at a stretch). RNRD and SDIF are much heavier

RNRD does have a poppy feel though ot it when the shakers come in.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: SGDevil
    • Dec 15th 2009 edited

I think both of them have their strengths and weaknesses...
    Black Ice: better produced, great sound, some nice new ideas. Where is a fast song?
    TRE : better solos, better composed songs, more aggressive, some classics. Where is the blues?

Overall I prefer TRE by a small margin. The reason some people don't like it is because it sounds more radio friendly than other records. It's a badass rocker for me.
    P.S. I think Phil is the perfect drummer for acdc, but what a great great drummer is Chris Slade. I loved how they played some tracks much faster live in the Slade era (Heatseeker was INSANE!) I wish they would have hired him in 1983!

Yeah, look, I reckon The Razor's Edge is a bloody good album, and I reckon MONEY TALKS is a bloody good song, and I reckon that the live version of MONEY TALKS is an absolute bloody Ball-Tearer: even better than the studio version!!!!!

I also reckon that I write some bloody good comments!!   What do you bloody reckon about that?

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Windstorm
    • Dec 15th 2009

The Razors Edge blows. Five good songs and a shitload of filler.
    •  
    • Dec 15th 2009

I reckon that you've reckoned that you said reckon waaaay too many times, I reckon.
    •  
    • Dec 15th 2009

Windstorm... you rate BIB 3rd to last... Thats like Jews thinking Moses was a faggot!
    •  
    • Dec 15th 2009 edited

*Nevermind*
    •  
    • Dec 15th 2009

And keep in mind my list reflects my favourites, not necessarily which album is best...

That's funny, Borrowed Time!!

• AC/DC rock music: GoZone
    • Dec 16th 2009

MoneyTalks is not pop...fact

It is a classic rock song

hmmm...just read my post again in the cold light of day. i'm not going to edit it....even though I think I was a bit harsh. Its not the dogshite on the bottom of my shoe...its not that bad. lol. But moneytalks is a pop song...can't compare it to SDIF at all. When it was released I just felt that ac/dc had lost it a bit and would never recover whatever "it" was. The realisation that they would never get anywhere near a BIB or even a FTATR again. I appreciate alot of people on here got into DC about the time of TRE which probably means they're a bit biased towards it. But why oh fucking why do people like AYR? Its terrible...now look what you've all done...you've set me off again....over and out
    • Dec 16th 2009

AYR is good, i heard it was wriiten by someone else though

GZ- your a funny guy. its not good...where did you hear that about it being written by someone else? Can't say I ever heard that before
    • Dec 16th 2009

its out there, the band was looking for a hit and a famous song writer wrote it and was paid to not have is name on the credits....I am sure it is out on the web

• Dec 16th 2009

how is it not good, total rock song,  great intro too

great intro agreed...the rest is just....err...dumb, ploddy, leaden, uninspired,dull etc etc

Like a Desmond Child?? the thing is it was the 3rd single off tre. TS and MT are fare more commercial...doesn't make sense...does that mean some one else wrote those songs as well?
    • Dec 16th 2009

no...just that song...google it or someone will fill us in soon

can't see it on the net anywhere. I'll wait for someone like STT to put us straight on it
    Both albums has fillers and the lowpoints(MT And AG).
    BI is a better album,but Shot Of Love is a real killer track.
    • Dec 16th 2009

Moneytalks kills Anything Goes

It is an insult to compare the two songs

BI is better than Razor's Edge. Razor's Edge has the worst production in the band's catalogue just after BUYV. The band and the production sounds clinical. It's like they poured tons of antiseptics over the whole lot. There are some good songs such as TS, AYR and FYG, but it's a boring and non moving effort. And Moneytalks may be a well crafted song, but it's clearly a pop hook that doesn't do much to me. TS and FYG were much better live, which proves that some of the songs are really good but that the recording was bland.
    ^^^ "Razor's Edge has the worst production in the band's catalogue just after BUYV."

FOTW?
    Money Talks is a great song, one of the best songs they've done post-80s.
    I know that would be asked. FOTW is a beast from a band that is soaked with energy and recklessness. It's a follow up on the legacy of FOTS. Pure aggressive rock from a band that takes no prisoners. I never had a problem with that production. The band is very alive on that recording. It has a garage feel to it which I like and which suited them at the time when contemporary rock was very clean. Listen to the end of First Blood and you get a clue of what I mean.
    FOTW is grossly underrated.
    ^^ Except for the fact that somebody needed to hand Brian a throat lozenge before recording it!
    •  
    • Dec 16th 2009

FOTW is overrated on this forum at least as far as the production goes. If anybody, and I mean anybody, thinks that the production of this album is anywhere but last, they are not to be taken seriously. The vocals are just not there. Its a disgrace. Especially coming after BIB, FTATR, and FOTS which all have some of their best vocal production. FOTW's production isn't fit to lick the clit of TRE's production. The songs on the other hand are stronger. Just know what your talking about before ya start typing...

That being said... It's just a cracker of an album.

The vocals on TRE are drenched with enhancement effects for being AC/DC. "Just know what your talking about before ya start typing"...Oh really? A self professed authoritative source on what is good or bad about AC/DC. From my perspective you don't know what you are talking about. You said that you can sing like Brian and all? Get us a taste of what you can do then before you run here around bragging to be a know it all about vocals? The production on TRE is DEAD. There's no nerve in the sound.
    •  
    • Dec 16th 2009

So... you're saying the vocals are better in FOTW than TRE?

Brian sounds as if he's in another room on FOTW.... at least on TRE the vocals are in your face, even if his voice is shot
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Meanstreak
    • Dec 16th 2009 edited

I like the production better on FOTW overall even though its not close to perfect by production standards and it has many flaws. But, it sounds like a band jamming along and pure. To me the TRE sound as I said is clinical. The instruments sound separated and the whole effort doesn't sound alive. I never thought that the productions on either BUYV or TRE made the band's trademark sound justice. From a technical and mechanical point of view the vocals may be better on TRE but the ambience of the band is there on FOTW which it's not on TRE.
    "You said that you can sing like Brian and all?"

Ha ha - what?