[ Sign In | Register ]

Pretty much all of us on here have bemoaned the lyrical element (or lack thereof) of the Young/Young albums. How would you guys rank them?

For me, I'd have to go with

BB

SUL

TRE

BI
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Nov 30th 2009

If we are ranking them on all round greatness then it is really very tricky

TRE - TS, FYG, MT,TRE, GYBTB, SOL, GBAGRTBL are all decent songs or better imo. (5 top tracks)

BB - HAAR, TF, BM, HR, HC, CWYPD, WOTR, BB are all decent songs or better imo (5 top tracks)

SUL - SUL, HOJ, HMB, SINYC, CSS, SB, CAGI, GIU are all decent songs or better imo (5 top tracks)

BI - They are all decent tracks or better I think (8 top tracks)

So that means BI from TRE,BB and SUL

If we chuck in prodution as well then it becomes BI from SUL from BB from TRE! And that is a little surprising I have to say......

Black Ice- best songs and production, most variety

Ballbreaker- not bad at all

Stiff Upper Lip- or stiff upper snooze

The Razors Edge- worthless pile of shite- Jem I'm sorry have to totally disagree about GBAGRTBL...I think its the worst Brian era song ever and is almost as bad as Love Song. It sounds so fucking uninspired...see what you've done now? That album just pisses me off...aaaarghhhh

Its fashionable to have a pop at BI on here, but if you analyse it honestly the quality of songs as a whole are far superior to any of the other Young/Young efforts
    Carlos - woah, woah, woah! Nobody is having a pop at BI because it's "fashionable" to do so (well, I'm not anyway). It pains me to criticise any DC album, but I genuinely consider it to be a sub-standard LP. This whole BI thing has surprised me in that I honestly didn't think opinion would be this divided over it. After a few listens (and after declaring it "superb" after my first listen), I think it began to settle and find its place. I swear that I am not trying to be fashionable in criticising it, it just doesn't do it for me...
    •  
    • Nov 30th 2009

See Carlos I reckon that GBAGRTBL has a little realism about it.  Mal getting over the booze problems and such...it at least doesn't has any na na na's in it ! :)

Ulster- you are ;-)
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: bonlives
    • Nov 30th 2009

Ulster is very fashionable - he was wearing a brand new Back in Black top at the RNRT shoot
    lol...your right...bit of a fashion victim I reckon :-)
    bonlives - how can you such a hurtful thing, brother? I wasn't wearing a crisp BIB shirt at the video shoot - you know full well that I was wearing a fitted, Topshop, charcoal, tight t-shirt with sequined logo...

Your words hurt, dude....
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Landslide
    • Nov 30th 2009

Black Ice

Stiff Upper Lip

Ballbreaker

Razors Edge.

Tough call between BI/SUL though.
    BB
    BI
    SUL
    TRE
    For me it's:
    BI
    TRE
    SUL
    BB

And hey Ulster, as you know full well, that (presumably very crap) shirt is exactly what I was wearing at the RNRT video shoot, you cheeky fucker! (One of the many reasons I'm nowhere to be seen in that video...)
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Pod
    • Nov 30th 2009

BI

BB

TRE

SUL

And as for that shirt. Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo should be in the ladies wear section.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: SGDevil
    • Nov 30th 2009

TRE
    BI
    BB
    SUL
    It's a fair point Pod. And I did see at least one girl wearing one that day. My logic was that it would look shiny & sparkly so be more likely to be seen. But I forgot to take into account the fact that my ugly mug would do more than negate that. Anyway, all the sequins fell off soon after that, so it went in the bin. To recap:

BI
    TRE
    SUL
    My dead sequined t-shirt
    BB
    EW-you should have donated it to Strictly Come Dancing...before the sequins fell off...what were you thinking of?
    Carlos, I'm offering an open apology for ever having worn the thing. My girlfriend bought it for me, if that even begins to be a valid excuse. But you're quite right, wearing that shirt puts you in danger of having come strictly dancing all over you.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Pod
    • Nov 30th 2009

"But I forgot to take into account the fact that my ugly mug would do more than negate that"

Tis a sad state of affairs. Back in the day only the hairiest, pig ugly feckers got their "even my mums not sure if she loves me (otherwise known as ...and my momma hates me)" faces on an AC/DC video.

Mind you they never wore a ladies top.

BB
    SUL
    BI
    TRE
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: BFET
    • Nov 30th 2009 edited

BI- Only song that hurts the album is SLRNR...

TRE- Only song that hurts the album is RYHO...

BB- Songs that hurt the album are Love Bomb and CWYPD.

SUL- Songs that hurt the album are House of Jazz, CSRNR, CAGI, Give it Up.

(TRE just... and I mean JUST topped BB. If any of them were to be a tie, these 2 are it.)

... and also, for the record, all these albums are still very good no matter their place on the list.

Will- I haven't laughed as much for a long time! First we get "My logic was that it would look shiny & sparkly so be more likely to be seen."...sounding ever so slightly gay. Then we have exhibit B "My girlfriend bought it for me," which quite frankly is not the most macho of statements. I think you need to stop digging mate!

P.S. Good to see you back on here btw.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: bonlives
    • Nov 30th 2009

Who wants to see a pic of Will in that top?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: BFET
    • Nov 30th 2009

do you really have to ask?

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Windstorm
    • Nov 30th 2009

Stiff Upper Lip-Great bluesy album. Every track is a winner.
    Black Ice-The most diverse with the strongest material, but it is a little inconsistent.
    Ballbreaker-Started on what SUL perfected, but has some filler.
    The Razors Edge-Blows. AC/DC says they're an album band, but all this album has is five good songs and a shitload of filler.

Black Ice

The Razor's Edge

Stiff Upper Lip

Ballbreaker

•  
    • Dec 1st 2009

I think boysboysboys.com might be a more suitable website for that pic.....

It worked! Will - I knew you still read this forum! Welcome back - make sure you stay around this time....

bonlives - I have said picture. For a small fee, it can be made available to you and it can be added to the pictures at the top of the page...
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: BoogieMan
    • Dec 1st 2009

Hmm, not a hard one for me. Stiff Upper Lip, Ballbreaker, The Razor's Edge, Black Ice.

SUL and Balbreaker are probably my most played albums. The bluesy feel on both is just perfect for the band and the songs. The Razor's Edge has some filler, but the 6-7 standout tracks are enough to get it over the line. Black Ice, well I think I've already said my fair share of negative things about it.