[ Sign In | Register ]

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Nov 30th 2009 edited

I would say that BUYV, mix/production not withstanding, is superior to FOTW and all albums since it in terms of music and lyrics...

Best moments on BI: The whole song RNR Train is an excellent piece of work. The verses, choruses and especially the outro is very good. The solo in Big Jack is a good one. Smash and Grab is another smashing gem with the best solo on the album. It just hits you in the face from the first chord. War Machine is the brutal track on the album with great dynamics and an excellent and fierce drum roll intro by Phil. Angus goes crazy with a unison bend guitar pattern in Decibel which gives some nice tension in that song. The slide work in Stormy May Day gives some really nice variation. She Likes Rock N' Roll has a great groove and swing in the verse and the chorus is really pounding. Money Made is another track with a really good groove, underlying repetitive guitar pattern and nice chorus. The chorus in Rock N' Roll Dream really hits thanks to a subtle but very effective and hard hitting groove pattern by Phil. Black Ice is an extremely cleverly crafted and ominous riff with a hell of a groove and some really good work by Phil.

Black Ice is a much better album on the whole than SUL, although SUL is a pretty good effort and more down to basics. Brian sounds much better on BI. Phil sounds much better and much more inspired, although I feel that the snare drum is almost too loud in the mix. You can hear Cliff better. I have some reservations with the guitar sound which is rather cold, hard edged and compressed like (there is a warmer, more natural guitar sound on SUL).
    •  
    • Nov 30th 2009

There's just not enough gonzoid shenanigans on BI for me.............Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeels apart of course............. 

Wheels solo is a nice one.
    •  
    • Nov 30th 2009

My fav on the album by some distance...proper gonzoid!

Jem - what other tracks from the last, say, 4 albums would you also describe as "gonzoid"?

TNT was a great album, just gonna chime in with that.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: BFET
    • Nov 30th 2009

I'd say that Ballbreaker, Fire Your Guns, Meltdown, and Skies on Fire are all Gonzoid tracks from each album. But theres waay more than that.

Jem - I knew what you meant dude, just stirring you up because this band doesn't exactly try something new very often.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: 56Century
    • Nov 30th 2009

BI is lacking in gonzoid shenanigans
    Brians vocals are exceptional on black ice, especially on;
    Anything goes
    skies on fire
    r`n`r train
    r`n`r dream
    •  
    • Dec 1st 2009

Good question Ulster I'll have a run through the albums and work out the essential gonzoidal masterpieces....

Jem - I am genuinely interested, because I don't think I get what gonzoid really is....
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: bonlives
    • Dec 1st 2009

Meanstreak - unison bend guitar pattern - tell me more.. which bit am I listening out for?
    The guitar phrase starting at about 1:10.
    •  
    • Dec 1st 2009 edited

Gonzoid is when you can no longer control that feeling that been building and building and building and nothing is going to stop it from ripping the whole world apart in an orgy of insane joy, dribble and snot spray from orifices as you thrash your head and body around, injuries won't be noticed until the next day and then they will be borne as badges of honour. You know that moment when you are possessed, when you ARE Angus,  AC/DC are fucking ON, be that at home or in concert and time and space fall away and all that is left is that incredible power as you channel the universe through your instrument (air) or otherwise and spray the neighbourhood with your essential juices.......that is gonzoid my friend.

Listen to Shoot To Thrill after just the right amount of beer, alone in a dark room with the volume set to insanity ......

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Landslide
    • Dec 1st 2009

And there we have it.

I'm fairly sure what Jem said is the greatest thing said on this forum. I take my hat off to you, sir.
    Jem - I thank you, sir... Great explanation. Now I know...
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: BFET
    • Dec 1st 2009

That still doesn't explain how Wheels is a Gonzoid track... lol!  jk

Just to add - BT is right: If Gonzoid is as described above, surely that makes Wheels the Anti-Gonzoid?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Landslide
    • Dec 1st 2009

I quite like Wheels but I wouldn't call it 'gonzoid'. I'd have to nominate RNRT, Big Jack or Spoilin' For A Fight off BI for the 'gonzoid award'.
    •  
    • Dec 1st 2009

I am the Prophet Of Gonzoid.   You must seek for your inner gonzo my children, cultivate him, cherish him, bring him to fulfilment and you too shall see the true gonzoid nature of Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeels. 

It's there in the first 8 seconds.  Heralded by six notes that say 'Oh I'm a-coming.'  Echoed by it's answering riff  'Bring it on brother!'   The Rudd kicks down for the door for you BAM!  And we're off. Allow the brothers inside, play both riffs simultaneously, switch from Chuck Berry to Malcolm Fecking Young, ride that twitching, writhing, ejaculating solo to the end.......it's totally gonzoid my friends.......totally gonzoid! YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Pod
    • Dec 1st 2009 edited

And that'll be Jem spraying the neighbourhood with his "essential juices" then. Riff Raff on IYWB. Now that fits your earlier description for me to a tee. Many is the time my kids have had to suffer seeing their dad totaly lose it to this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uXu067MTqI

•  
    • Dec 1st 2009

Pod knows :)

I remember playing the spade (I haven't got a fucking clue where it came from) to BBB on IYWB at a mates party in the kitchen ( I was Malcolm he was Angus- the bastard)...now that was a gonzoid moment! Indusrial quantities of Jack Daniel's were involved as well
    •  
    • Dec 2nd 2009

Spade?  Nice choice.....hockey sticks, tennis rackets but never a spade.....

air guitar is hard to beat, though
    •  
    • Dec 2nd 2009

I am a purist at heart as well :)

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Pod
    • Dec 2nd 2009

Air guitar rules. Closely followed by a kids plastic toy guitar.

http://vimeo.com/6869986

I love the little look to the camera and the Pete Townshend windmills. What a pro.

•  
    • Dec 2nd 2009

Legend ^

Outdone by a 3 year old...I need to up my game