[ Sign In | Register ]

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Treehorn
    • Oct 30th 2023

Can never remember if there’s any truth as to whether he wrote the hits on the Razor’s Edge and was paid off to receive no writing credit. But here’s an article about his forthcoming autobiography. Quite a CV of hits that DO bear his name.

https://www.theguard...
    Desmond Child has a real gift for crafting catchy songs. I don't have to like everything he's written to recognize his talent.

I would imagine that songwriting credits are a real sticking point for a lot of artists, considering that they lead to (a) public recognition and (b), even more importantly, money. Why would Child have his name included on songs co-written for Aerosmith and Bon Jovi, but be okay with a lump sum and no public credit in AC/DC's case?

Considering the commercial success of The Razor's Edge, how much money upfront would make up for over 33 years of potential royalties?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Treehorn
    • Nov 1st 2023

I agree entirely with your point, it wouldn’t make a lot of sense for a songwriter not to have their name attached to something they’d written.

Unless hypothetically Malcolm and Angus were struggling to come up with something catchy enough for US radio, refused to go down the route of the Aerosmiths and Bon Jovis and offered a hefty fee and percentage of royalties on the quiet.

I haven’t got around to searching the forum again for the rumours. But he used to get a fair bit of chat on here and someone even came up with Anti Christ/Desmond Child which still makes me laugh.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Grim177
    • Nov 1st 2023

Posted By: AcesHigh78Desmond Child has a real gift for crafting catchy songs. I don't have to like everything he's written to recognize his talent.

I would imagine that songwriting credits are a real sticking point for a lot of artists, considering that they lead to (a) public recognition and (b), even more importantly, money. Why would Child have his name included on songs co-written for Aerosmith and Bon Jovi, but be okay with a lump sum and no public credit in AC/DC's case?

Considering the commercial success of The Razor's Edge, how much money upfront would make up for over 33 years of potential royalties?

It's bunk. Rumours started by people who assume Child came with Fairbairn like giblets come with a turkey. Also it's apparently a Desmond Child trait to start a song with the title, no one else would think to start a song called "Are You Ready" with those words.
    • AC/DC rock music: AcesHigh78
    • Nov 1st 2023 edited

Posted By: Grim177
    Posted By: AcesHigh78Desmond Child has a real gift for crafting catchy songs. I don't have to like everything he's written to recognize his talent.

It's bunk. Rumours started by people who assume Child came with Fairbairn like giblets come with a turkey. Also it's apparently a Desmond Child trait to start a song with the title, no one else would think to start a song called "Are You Ready" with those words.

I figured as much. I'd never even heard this rumor before. Do the people who believe it think he ghost wrote the whole album, or just a few songs?

I saw Thunderstruck, Are You Ready and Moneytalks mentioned in some old threads on this topic, but I think those songs are quite capable of being written solely by the boys.
    Desmond Child is ghostwriter of many AC/DC songs.
    I have it on good authority that Angus has not actually played live in decades, it's just been Desmond Child in prosthetics.
    Well, we've already heard that Mal wrote most of the songs while the band was on tour, before fleshing them out with Angus before recording. And that they then started recording some of them with George (and Harry) before George had to pull out of the sessions. And that they then packed up and went to Fairbairn in Canada instead. So the songs were probably all but done by that point.

I'm pretty sure Mal would have told anyone who suggested the idea of collaborating with Desmond Child to fuck off at that stage (or any stage for that matter).

Mal gave Fairbairn a guitar at the end for his help.

Not sure what the name of Child's publishing would be for royalties. Angus and Malcolm use Leidseplein Presse B.V.
    Desmond Child had absolutely nothing to do with those songs.

Besides the lyrics to his songs don’t sound like Beavis and Butthead wrote them. There’s the clue……
    Posted By: ToiletWallPoetI have it on good authority that Angus has not actually played live in decades, it's just been Desmond Child in prosthetics.

Haha
    Posted By: WhereeezangooseDesmond Child had absolutely nothing to do with those songs.

Besides the lyrics to his songs don’t sound like Beavis and Butthead wrote them. There’s the clue……

Another clue: The choruses to MT and AYR don't sound anything like Ang & Mal had written before plus they never started songs with choruses or chorus melodies before.
    • AC/DC rock music: 71SG
    • Nov 2nd 2023

Another clue: The choruses to MT and AYR don't sound anything like Ang & Mal had written before plus they never started songs with choruses or chorus melodies before.

Quite a few come to mind that use the chorus melodies to start the songs, not as melodic as MT apart from Rock n Roll Ain't Noise Pollution and Two's Up but the Chords play the melody.

Two's Up
    Some Sin For Nuthin
    Come He'll Or High Water
    Send For the Man
    Brain Shake
    night Of The Long Knive
    What Do You Do For Money Honey
    Rock n Roll Ain't Noise Pollution
    Get it Hot
    Love Hungry Man
    Cold Hearted man
    Go Down
    Dog Eat Dog
    • AC/DC rock music: AcesHigh78
    • Nov 2nd 2023 edited

Posted By: soulstripper666
    Posted By: WhereeezangooseDesmond Child had absolutely nothing to do with those songs.

So...you're in the "Desmond Child ghost wrote these songs" camp?

I'm puzzled by your comment though, because wasn't TRE the first album that Ang and Mal wrote all the lyrics for without Bon or Brian being involved? If so, how do we know what (if any) choruses they'd written before?

But I guess that raises another question that I don't know the answer to: did Ang and/or Mal contribute to lyric writing prior to TRE? Bon and Brian obviously wrote the vast majority of the lyrics, but did Ang and Mal tinker with the lyrics as well, or were they strictly on the instrumental side of the songwriting prior to TRE?
    Don't forget the album had an actual producer aswell. Never the less, everything that's been said in favor of Desmod Child having a hand in writing songs for the album is completely baseless and made up. Don't see the point...
    Desmond and Bruce could've arranged the songs and written chorus melodies without chaning the overall lyrics? If those two had cared about lyrics, they would've told Mal to write more than one verse lyric for If You Dare that poor Brian has to sing thrice.
    I don't know if Desmond helped out or not, but I don't rule it out. The chorus start of songs is his trademark and apparantly he was good friends with Faribarin. Someone said Desmond said on some MTV gala that he'd worked with AC/DC, but that guy never found an VHS of it so make of that statement what you want.
    And Desmond was the songwriter to go to in those days if you wanted a hit, and the band was under some pressure to make a bigger album especially for the American market where BUYV didn't fair as well as in Europe.
    Posted By: soulstripper666Desmond and Bruce could've arranged the songs and written chorus melodies without chaning the overall lyrics? If those two had cared about lyrics, they would've told Mal to write more than one verse lyric for If You Dare that poor Brian has to sing thrice.
    I don't know if Desmond helped out or not, but I don't rule it out. The chorus start of songs is his trademark and apparantly he was good friends with Faribarin. Someone said Desmond said on some MTV gala that he'd worked with AC/DC, but that guy never found an VHS of it so make of that statement what you want.
    And Desmond was the songwriter to go to in those days if you wanted a hit, and the band was under some pressure to make a bigger album especially for the American market where BUYV didn't fair as well as in Europe.

I see what you're saying, but I still don't know how they would have gotten around giving Child co-writing credit.

I know damn well that having "Young/Young/Child" on the album sleeve wouldn't have sat well with Angus and Malcolm, but I'm skeptical that Child would have been okay with an envelope full of money being handed to him under the table to keep quiet, unless it was an absolutely absurd amount.

The funny thing is that TRE had by far the worst lyrics of any AC/DC album up to that point (certainly worse than BUYV), yet it became a big hit due to the glossy production and catchy hooks.
    Posted By: AcesHigh78<
    I see what you're saying, but I still don't know how they would have gotten around giving Child co-writing credit.

As they sing in one of the choruses which Desmond might have a hand in composing: Moneytalks.
    Has anyone tried to contact Desmond?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Grim177
    • Nov 5th 2023

Posted By: soulstripper666Someone said Desmond said on some MTV gala that he'd worked with AC/DC, but that guy never found an VHS of it

Classic.
    Posted By: Grim177
    Posted By: soulstripper666Someone said Desmond said on some MTV gala that he'd worked with AC/DC, but that guy never found an VHS of it

Classic.

IF the footage actually exists, it would be interesting, but it sounds like more bullshit.
    Desmond Child has a hand in more AC/DC songs than anyone can possibly imagine.
    Desmond Child taught Angus how to play guitar.

Desmond Child gave Rosie Bon's number.

Desmond Child was the German woman who called Brian about joining "A-C und D-C".

Desmond Child's daughter is the subject of the song Down on the Borderline. She's an idle Child, high society.
    Posted By: MeanstreakDesmond Child has a hand in more AC/DC songs than anyone can possibly imagine.

Are you trolling or do you really believe that? What's your source?