[ Sign In | Register ]

•  
      AC/DC rock music: razorsedge
    • Aug 12th 2023 edited

Thought it would be interesting to talk about the bands/musicians we can’t stand - I’ll start: Guns N Roses simply bc I can’t stand Axl & don’t find him that good of a singer.
    I have nothing but contempt for Iron Maiden. Their music sucks, their look sucks, Dickinson is an arsehole of the first degree. All imo of course.
    Why can you not stand Axl? In his heyday he was one helluva frontman and some of the gigs he did with GNR were magic. Don’t bash him just because it is the norm on this forum, make up your own mind.
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Aug 12th 2023 edited

Posted By: Badlands66Why can you not stand Axl? In his heyday he was one helluva frontman and some of the gigs he did with GNR were magic. Don’t bash him just because it is the norm on this forum, make up your own mind

Not only that, but there were reasons why he was a dick at times in the old days, he didn't have the best of times in his youth. The fact he's come out on top and seems a decent guy says a lot about him.

And yes his voice has had some weak periods but he can't be expected to just give up. And as much as I hated the AC/DC thing, his vocals were amazing.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rajd07
    • Aug 12th 2023 edited

People keep bashing Axl, his voice and so on. But I think there’s someone else in GNR that also deserves some slack. Slash. I know his guitar skills is highly regarded. But the guy’s such a poseur..
    AC/DC

It's just the same song over and over again and the singer sounds like a cat in heat.
    Serious answer: David Bowie

Not sure I'd use hate and know he was fairly talented but I've tried to get into his music but just don't get it.
    I’ll second Axl
    Maiden, especially Bruce
    Gene/Paul
    Grohl
    Any of the RHCP

probably a hundred more
    Posted By: Badlands66Why can you not stand Axl? In his heyday he was one helluva frontman and some of the gigs he did with GNR were magic. Don’t bash him just because it is the norm on this forum, make up your own mind.

How condescending
    Rush and Queen (their debut aside).

I've really tried - obviously they're both super talented but just not my bag.
    Posted By: Badlands66Why can you not stand Axl? In his heyday he was one helluva frontman and some of the gigs he did with GNR were magic. Don’t bash him just because it is the norm on this forum, make up your own mind.

What makes you think he hasn't made up his own mind?

I never liked G n R much then or now - they've only got about four good songs IMHO - although I did see them live last summer and they put on a good show.
    • AC/DC rock music: Rammy
    • Aug 12th 2023

ABBA
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: angus1878
    • Aug 12th 2023 edited

Foo Fighters....and the size of Dave Grohls big fat fucking head !!!

and i also was given a free ticket (someone couldnt go)... to see RHCP and at the end i wanted my money back.

Huh? I’m not bashing him because ‘it’s the norm on this forum’ I just don’t like him, never have done & never will
    Kiss. I’ve tried, but they are pretty much the only “classic rock” band that I just can’t take seriously. Remember that clip where Paul and Gene made the guy interviewing them take off his Iron Maiden shirt because “Kiss is spelled K.I.S.S.”? Fucking dickheads.
    I find stuff to like in most bands work, I don’t know if it’s just a me thing or if other people do this, For example:
    I love Status Quo between Ma Kelly and On The Level specifically, and seriously dislike the later pantomime version.
    The same with Queen, but from their debut until News Of The World only. Basically Freddie’s pre-‘tashe years.

Obviously we all have our ‘don’t get’ bands, for me that’s maybe Kiss or Bon Jovi or something.
    For a band to be in the flat-out can’t stand category, we’d need to be thinking Nickleback or Coldplay.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Janonen
    • Aug 12th 2023

I'd rather not think about those.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: ROC/KR
    • Aug 12th 2023

I FUCKING HATE QUEEN.
    •  
    • Aug 12th 2023 edited

But Iron Maiden have written a fair amount of enjoyable tunes.
    •  
    • Aug 12th 2023

Plus, I tend to think that anyone who makes music that is actually listenable can not be a complete scumbag. Perhaps Bruce just happens to have a bad day any time he's not in the studio.
    Posted By: Alex Lebanon

I never liked G n R much then or now - they've only got about four good songs IMHO - although I did see them live last summer and they put on a good show.

Well, first off...it’s a she not a he...get that right at least ;)
    The reason, since you asked is that when someone bashes Axl on this forum without reasoning it just comes across as jumping on the bandwagon, it’s just plain silly.

Well, I can’t fuckin’ stand the RAMONES, but you don’t hear me bitchin’ about it. I respect that others do.
    Posted By: Badlands66
    Posted By: Alex Lebanon

Well, first off...it’s a she not a he...get that right at least ;)
    The reason, since you asked is that when someone bashes Axl on this forum without reasoning it just comes across as jumping on the bandwagon, it’s just plain silly.

Well, I can’t fuckin’ stand the RAMONES, but you don’t hear me bitchin’ about it. I respect that others do.

No one is bitching, I’m just asking what bands/musicians ppl don’t like & again me not liking Axl/GNR has nothing to do with this forum or ‘jumping on the bandwagon’ if you like them that’s fine, it’s just not for me.
    Posted By: BillyBollocks

How condescending

Oh, you took offense on her behalf? How noble...who would have taught you had it in you Billy?
    Posted By: Wholelottalaur
    No one is bitching, I’m just asking what bands/musicians ppl don’t like & again me not liking Axl/GNR has nothing to do with this forum or ‘jumping on the bandwagon’ if you like them that’s fine, it’s just not for me

First off, I replied to him, not you. You do see my point though? People tend to bash on him just because he was involved with their favourite band. Tarnished them so to speak, lol.

I would like to know however why you dislike him. Some of the tracks on Appetite are bonafide rock classics.
    I will go with Red Hot Chilli Peppers like a couple of others here. If a song of theirs comes on the radio, I turn it off straight away (except Higher Ground - which is a decent cover). Speaking of stupid lyrics, Kiedis has to up there.
    No one is bitching, I’m just asking what bands/musicians ppl don’t like & again me not liking Axl/GNR has nothing to do with this forum or ‘jumping on the bandwagon’ if you like them that’s fine, it’s just not for me

First off, I replied to him, not you. You do see my point though? People tend to bash on him just because he was involved with their favourite band. Tarnished them so to speak, lol.

I would like to know however why you dislike him. Some of the tracks on Appetite are bonafide rock classics.

I’m fully aware that you didn’t reply to me, no need to get rude & no, I don’t. I think he is a shitty person & I don’t think he is a good singer it’s that simple.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Aug 13th 2023

@wholelottalaur: would you have liked GnR when they would have had another singer than Axl?
    Because you seem to dislike a whole band and its music just because you don't like the singer.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Aug 13th 2023 edited

Red Hot Chilli Peppers
    Accept

Quite a few bands who I loved in their heyday that I drifted away from at certain points. Not keen on latter day Priest, Van Hagar and Dio era Sabbath, with a few exceptions.

Spot on. GNR are great, and Axl was terrific when he helped the boys out. He really exceeded my expectations back then. Touring with two of the biggest bands on the planet at the same time is not an easy task, and he nailed it.
    • AC/DC rock music: nimeta
    • Aug 13th 2023

I always struggled with the Stones. Apparently this might be because I like the Beatles. Anyway their music never did much of me, apart from Paint It Black, which I quite liked.

The Eagles, The Who and Lynyrd Skynyrd were also kinda one hit wonders for me also (HC, Baba and Freebird respectively...everything else just bores me)

Slayer...I tried to like often cos everyone says how great they are, but I always revert back to early Megadeth for my fix of thrash metal when I am in that kind of mood.

Ted Nugent - I never saw what the fuss was about

Whitesnake is a tale of 2 halves. Up until Slide It In, I think they were amazing. After that, for me, depressing garbage. My first ever gig as a kid was o their Slide it In Tour.
    •  
    • Aug 13th 2023 edited

Posted By: nimetaI always struggled with the Stones. Their music never did much of me, apart from Paint It Black, which I quite liked.
    Jesus, you sound exactly like my wife!
    •  
    • Aug 13th 2023

Posted By: nimetaLynyrd Skynyrd were also kinda one hit wonders for me also (HC, Baba and Freebird respectively...everything else just bores me
    Good lord!
    •  
    • Aug 13th 2023

Bands or musicians i'd tried but didn't like, i just don't listen to. So hate is a big word.

Maybe the only one that i don't get why they are so popular and who do nothing to me is Foo Fighters.
    The defenition of beige soccer mom rock with a frontman who tries just way too hard to act like a rocker without really being it. Only Johnny Depp is worse.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Aug 13th 2023

I’m adding post Hysteria Def Leppard to my list.

How condescending

Oh, you took offense on her behalf? How noble...who would have taught you had it in you Billy?

Yes I did. Some middle aged bloke talking down to a young woman insinuating she can’t make her own mind up about what music she liked

Have a word with yourself
    Posted By: JanonenBut Iron Maiden have written a fair amount of enjoyable tunes.

Yep, I think so as well. The albums with Di'Anno are great. I saw Iron Maiden live after they had released the A matter of life and death. They played the whole damn album. That was quite a test of patience I must say
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Moh
    • Aug 13th 2023

Metallica. Just don't get into it

How condescending

Yes I did. Some middle aged bloke talking down to a young woman insinuating she can’t make her own mind up about what music she liked

Thank you :)) tho I wouldn’t worry to much about him as my opinion has clearly struck a nerve aha.
    Posted By: BillyBollocksYes I did. Some middle aged bloke talking down to a young woman insinuating she can’t make her own mind up about what music she liked

Please accept my sincere apology good sir, that hit so hard...considering what a shining beacon of morality you have always been. Seriously, I’m welling up over here ;)
    Posted By: Wholelottalaur I wouldn’t worry to much about him as my opinion has clearly struck a nerve aha.

Correct, ignorance always strikes a nerve with me.