[ Sign In | Register ]

•  
      AC/DC rock music: recimo
    • Jun 2nd 2023 edited

I was reading the Metallica 72 seasons thread and wondered, are there any bands that are past their "prime" years that put out an 10/10 or at least comparable album to the albums in their prime years?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Jun 2nd 2023

AC/DC
    With some artists it’s hard to define their ‘prime’ as they’ve continued to do amazingly consistent work throughout their careers

So I’m just going by ‘latter day’ releases here

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
    Low
    Motorpsycho

Neil Young had a mid career resurgence too
    Aerosmith. If their prime is their 70s... the trilogy of Permanent Vacation, Pump and Get A Grip is damn impressive for a band 15 to 20 years into their career. Pump is a 10/10 for me and the best of all 3.

John Fogerty's 1997 Blue Moon Swamp album is damn good, almost 30 years after CCR.

First 2 that come to mind
    • AC/DC rock music: Ron
    • Jun 2nd 2023

Judas Priest -Firepower.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Jun 3rd 2023

Although not a band but probably the best example of an artist way past his heyday putting out a few albums that are among the best he ever did: Johnny Cash.

Green Day also comes to mind with American Idiot.
    Posted By: RonJudas Priest -Firepower.
    absolutely this one.
    Would say Endgame, Dystopia and The Sick, The Dying and the Dead by Megadeth were strong releases.

Also the last few Joe Satriani albums have been brilliant, but I would say his weakest albums are 7/10 at worst.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Jun 3rd 2023

Van Halen - A different kind of truth
    Manic Street Preachers - Journal for Plague Lovers
    Motörhead - Aftershock

Not Judas Priest
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rajd07
    • Jun 3rd 2023

Tom Petty
    Alice Cooper
    Bruce Springsteen
    • AC/DC rock music: Schoolboy4
    • Jun 8th 2023 edited

Scorpions- Rock Believer.
    I really enjoy listening to it, I feel every song takes me back to the eighties.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Toast
    • Jun 8th 2023

Alright here’s my take

Bob Dylan - time out of mind.
    An absolutely sensational album, released many years after his supposed peak.

Muddy Waters - Hard Again
    With Johnny Winters on board, Waters reached new heights once again with this very late career release.
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Jun 8th 2023

Posted By: Schoolboy4Scorpions- Rock Believer.
    I really enjoy listening to it, I feel every song takes me back to the eighties.

I thought of this one as well, but it's nowhere near a 10/10 (O/P should adjust the criteria to perhaps 8/10). Great album, it's actually contrived in parts how they look back to specific older songs, but surprisingly, it works. In fact, Shining Of Your Soul is classic Scorps and as good as the song they were influenced by.

The album aligns with Power Up in terms of how it harks back to their 80s stuff so well, but after a few months I found it paled a little as an album overall whereas Power Up just became more and more mighty. Great effort though.
    Abbey Road.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: toddo
    • Jun 9th 2023

Posted By: BillyBollocks

Low

Double Negative by Low is phenomenal

I'd add My Bloody Valentine - MBV
    Tom Waits - Mule Variations
    Beth Orton - Weather Alive
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Gentox66
    • Jun 10th 2023 edited

Accept - Blood of the Nations
    Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell
    Ozzy Osbourne - Ordinary Man. Honestly can’t explain how much I love this album!
    Posted By: JemAC/DC

Yes. In particular The Razors Edge, Stiff Upper Lip and Power Up which are all very good Rock music albums. Especially when you consider the age of the band members when they released SUL and PU but all of those albums were very successful and at a time when they were well past their prime, an effort worthy of admiration.
    Black Sabbath - 13
    Megadeth - The sick, the dying and the dead
    Iron Maiden - Senjitsu
    American Idiot - Green Day
    Time Out of Mind - Bob Dylan
    New York - Lou Reed
    I'm Your Man - Leonard Cohen
    Black Star - David Bowie
    Motörhead: Rock 'n' Roll, 1916, Bastards and Overnight Sensation are phenomenal albums that were put out long after their "classic" period. After that it went downwards.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Jun 14th 2023

Johnny Cash - All of the American Recordings. To be honest, this is really the way he was always meant to sound, and these were made 40 years after he came onto the scene. Although I'm not the biggest fan of Rubin's work with AC/DC, his work with Johnny Cash stands shoulder to shoulder with the Sun stuff.