[ Sign In | Register ]

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Rikha
    • Apr 19th 2023 edited

I must say that I'm really really impressed after listening to this album.

Ok, I know it's not thrash and it's no MOP, but I think they got it right this time and it's a dark album, which I like it. I think it's almost as good as the Black album and a bunch of these new songs would fit perfectly on the 1991 album.

The riffs alone are a standout and they're all over the place. James' vocals show a (old?) man on the top of his game. Surprisingly Lars' drumming is awesome on the record as well as Rob's bass. The only weak point is Kirk's solos but I guess everyone is already used to it. The mixing is AWESOME, really!

The songs range from good to great. I'm not going to review each one of them, you should listen for yourself to have an opinion but they're all HEAVY, I mean really heavy. No ballads!

Any Metallica fans here?

PS: "Inamorata" is a must listen if you have decided to not listen the whole album.
    It’s a load of old pedestrian wank.

And deep down everyone knows it’s.

Great PR campaign, but same old shit since the Black album.

Wank sandwich.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Treehorn
    • Apr 19th 2023

Inamorata? Have they been listening to Flanders and Swann?!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Apr 19th 2023

I will give it a listen. I might pop and see them live. It has been a very long time.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Apr 20th 2023

There's nothing "wrong" with it, but on a full listen through, not a lot stood out. It all kinda blended together. It's too long, really. Needs to be cut down. However, I'll keep giving it a shot to see if grows on me.
    •  
    • Apr 20th 2023

Posted By: JemI will give it a listen. I might pop and see them live. It has been a very long time.
    It's heavy Jem and production/mixing really nailed it this time.
    •  
    • Apr 20th 2023

Posted By: InfernoThere's nothing "wrong" with it, but on a full listen through, not a lot stood out. It all kinda blended together. It's too long, really. Needs to be cut down. However, I'll keep giving it a shot to see if grows on me.
    I don't know, I just love that it's a longer one and believe me, this one is a GROWER!
    •  
    • Apr 20th 2023

Tip: I recommend listening to it loud, very loud...that's when the songs really come to life. Avoid headphones if you can, go for a good sound system in your car or a home theater.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: SnakeEye
    • Apr 20th 2023

It's about half an hour to long and the longer tracks are a bit repetitive.
    Some of the solos are pretty terrible. Drumming pretty unimaginative in parts.
    Seems like anything that has an intro has a snare intro as far as drums go, it's like Lars forgot he had toms times sometimes.

BUT, on the whole not too bad at their age.

Nice little different flavours riff wise pop up here and there, I assume due to more communal writing this time around.
    Been meaning to listen to it.

I'm interested to hear it and see what its like.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Apr 20th 2023

Posted By: InfernoThere's nothing "wrong" with it, but on a full listen through, not a lot stood out. It all kinda blended together. It's too long, really. Needs to be cut down. However, I'll keep giving it a shot to see if grows on me.

I'll admit that I haven't listened to the full album but I basically agree on the basis of what's been heard so far.

If you divide riffs into hook riffs, which act as a song's melodic signature and link riffs, which connect parts of a song together, then I'm not hearing many hook riffs and an absolute density of link ones. The riffs which do have a hook are a bit derivative. Lux Aeterna, for example, sounds like the afterbirth of Seek and Destroy in its main riff. And that leads me on the main thing that disappoints me about Metallica these days (and thrills others) - the band seem content since Death Magnetic to just do a never ending tribute to their first ten years, but without the novelty factor, genius of execution or righteous youthful anger
    The final track is awesome, overall I like the album
    It's an OK thrash album, but it lacks what made Metallica stand out from the bunch of other thrashers back in the 80's: song dynamics and variety. This album is neither better nor worse than any Exodus or Nuclear Assault album.
    •  
    • Apr 20th 2023 edited

Posted By: soulstripper666It's an OK thrash album, but it lacks what made Metallica stand out from the bunch of other thrashers back in the 80's: song dynamics and variety. This album is neither better nor worse than any Exodus or Nuclear Assault album.
    With all due respect I guess you're missing the point...It's not a thrash album per se and Metallica haven't been thrash since the 80's. How can you expect 60 year old men to sound like their twenties? Why compare latest albums with their prime era? I feel lucky enough to be able to listen and watch a great band still in activity playing good heavy songs in a time where real music is almost dead. I stopped comparing recent records with past glory many decades ago and I've been enjoying it since then. It's the same with AC/DC or any other great band in activity, they can't replicate their masterpieces, it happens once or twice in a lifetime. 72 seasons is the best album Metallica could have done in the recent era so I won't be pointing out every mistake or what they could have done better, I just enjoy it and be grateful.
    I listened to it on the first day as well. I'm a big Metallica fan, Kill' em All being my favorite by far. The first 2 singles were horrendous to me and I considered not even listening, but there are some decent tracks on there. The solos are lame, but I've always thought Kirk wasn't the guitarist Mustaine is hence my love for Kill em All and I love Megadeth and have seen them multiple times.

I am looking forward to seeing them at Power Trip since I have never seen them live, though I hope they don't play too many of these 11 minute songs.

Listening loud on decent equipment was good advice above as well.
    • AC/DC rock music: jonnya
    • Apr 20th 2023

Its a lot better than Power Up
    Screaming Suicide is my favorite song on the album right now. I don’t mind the production. James sounds great. The guitar tone is ok, not amazing but ok. There’s some decent riffs on the album just like Hardwired but the songs drag on too long. They’ll probably be more interesting live but I don’t know how many songs they’ll play.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Apr 20th 2023

Does Metallica have a six pack and if so; does this new album belongs to it and if yes, which album does it shove out?
    Posted By: jonnyaIts a lot better than Power Up
    Haha, nice one...
    •  
    • Apr 20th 2023

I've scanned through all the songs now.
    My first impression is that Black Sabbath's Symptom Of The Universe wipes the floor with all of them.
    •  
    • Apr 20th 2023 edited

Posted By: ThankassDoes Metallica have a six pack and if so; does this new album belongs to it and if yes, which album does it shove out?
    We can consider their first five as a 5 pack (they're all great). 72 seasons sounds like an extension of the Black album.
    Metallica's best since the Black Album
    •  
    • Apr 20th 2023 edited

Posted By: Rikha
    Posted By: ThankassDoes Metallica have a six pack and if so; does this new album belongs to it and if yes, which album does it shove out?
    We can consider their first five as a 5 pack (they're all great). 72 seasons sounds like an extension of the Black album.
    Yeah those albums up to the Black Album are indeed stellar. 72, although production wise sounds a bit like it, the songs are way different and have less soul than on The Black Album. It's a bit like ACDC; the riffing becomes more important than the song, imo. The intro in the song 72 sounds promising but sadly turns into rather generic riffing.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: angus1878
    • Apr 20th 2023

superb album...if you want MetallicA 83, then youve missed the boat, but obviously, theyve aged, matured and have been and are still absolutely sublime !
    Posted By: stuhiltonMetallica's best since the Black Album

More like Metallica's best album since Hardwired.

If Metallica had a six pack, it would be:
    Kill 'Em All
    Ride the Lightning
    Master of Puppets
    ...And Justice for All
    Metallica S/T
    Load

72 Seasons is not better than Load (and I'm no fan of Load).

PS - Metallica has a 5 pack ('83-'91)
    Posted By: RikhaThe only weak point is Kirk's solos

The guitar solos on St-Anger were much better.
    Posted By: ThankassI've scanned through all the songs now.

Listen to the entire album before making a judgement. Might take a few days though. It's a bit of a slog.

Interesting that you would say that. I see it as Metallica's Rock or Bust in terms of song quality.

Death Magnetic = Black Ice
    Hardwired... To Self-Destruct = Power Up
    72 Seasons = Rock or Bust

So far, the 3 tracks that stand out to me are: Lux Internae, If Darkness Had A Son and Inamorata.

PS - Thanks to Rikha for starting to thread. A new Metallica album is always worthy of discussion.

No.
    • Apr 21st 2023

Posted By: mutt_langes_perm

Interesting that you would say that. I see it as Metallica's Rock or Bust in terms of song quality.

Death Magnetic = Black Ice
    Hardwired... To Self-Destruct = Power Up
    72 Seasons = Rock or Bust

So far, the 3 tracks that stand out to me are: Lux Internae, If Darkness Had A Son and Inamorata.

PS - Thanks to Rikha for starting to thread. A new Metallica album is always worthy of discussion.

I enjoy AC/DC 78-83 and Metallica Black album as well as S&M/2; Of powerup and 72 i have enjoyed 72 more than powerup- it may be due to having no/lower expectations from a Metallica album.
    You only enjoy AC/DC ‘78-‘83?

I only enjoy Metallica ‘83-‘86. So I’d feel a bit weird joining a Metallica forum

As with all music, if you grow up with a band as they’re actually releasing the records and playing the gigs, you tend to have a more intense relationship with them.

I lived through the Kill ‘Em All, Ride The Lightning, Master Of Puppets era. I felt the growing excitement, and the progression of the band through those three albums was amazing to witness.

I also lived through buying And Justice For All and the incredible disappointment once it was sat playing on my turntable. It wasn’t crap, but after three stellar albums it was certainly a ‘WTF’ is this moment.

The tour was great though, but that album set the rot in for my young ears (17)

I didn’t even buy the ‘black’ album. My sister had that on cassette and hearing it blasting out of her room was enough to tell me they’d gone to shit.

Good times.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Apr 21st 2023 edited

Jonnya - “I enjoy AC/DC 78-83”

Really? What is your opinion of “Let there be rock” album?

Genuinely interested.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Apr 21st 2023

*Goes to polish hammer*
    Posted By: RikhaWith all due respect I guess you're missing the point...It's not a thrash album per se and Metallica haven't been thrash since the 80's.

Definitions of genrers always divide, but to me heavy metal from the 80's are Maiden, Saxon, Priest etcetera. Thrash are Anthrax, Metallica and so on. And this album sounds a lot more like the latter bunch than the former.

72 seasons is the best album Metallica could have done in the recent era so I won't be pointing out every mistake or what they could have done better, I just enjoy it and be grateful.

It seems pointless to me discussing music if you don't bring up what you like and what you don't like about it. And in this case there are things they could've done better, as I pointed out: worked more on the variety of songs and dynamics. That doesn't mean that I'm not grateful we get a decent album from Metallica. At least we Metallica fans have something to discuss.
    Maybe Lux Æterna should sound like this

•  
      AC/DC rock music: medium_rare
    • Apr 22nd 2023 edited

I’m 50/50 on whether to even listen to the album. Lux Eterna (or whatever it’s called) was/is awful in my opinion. I’m a dinosaur in age and can’t get past the 80’s Metallica when they were good.

Edit: just popped into my news feed from the BBC that this album is Metallicas first UK number 1 in 15 years. A quote from the article:

"hardest, most pulverising records to date - a continuous onslaught of riffs that falls on you like a landslide".
    I listen to them as much as AC/DC, and discovered them around the same time (2000) so I don't have the "they sold out" perspective. I'm a big fan of this album. Some songs seem a bit lengthy and repetitive riff wise, but that's about all the criticism I have. I'm thrilled to get something of this caliber from a band at this stage in their career. These songs will crush live. James' voice sounds fantastic and his playing is still incredible... they seem sharper live now that Lars seems to give a shit about what kind of shape he's in.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Zan
    • Apr 25th 2023

I thought it was great. As good as any veteran band putting new stuff out. Maybe not as good as the first 4 albums, but that’s sort of an impossible standard.

I reckon you have to be deaf or silly if you don’t at least get some enjoyment out of it, unless you’re one of them tedious purists who doesn’t like anything.
    • Apr 26th 2023

Posted By: BillyBollocksYou only enjoy AC/DC ‘78-‘83?

I only enjoy Metallica ‘83-‘86. So I’d feel a bit weird joining a Metallica forum

As with all music, if you grow up with a band as they’re actually releasing the records and playing the gigs, you tend to have a more intense relationship with them.

I lived through the Kill ‘Em All, Ride The Lightning, Master Of Puppets era. I felt the growing excitement, and the progression of the band through those three albums was amazing to witness.

I also lived through buying And Justice For All and the incredible disappointment once it was sat playing on my turntable. It wasn’t crap, but after three stellar albums it was certainly a ‘WTF’ is this moment.

The tour was great though, but that album set the rot in for my young ears (17)

I didn’t even buy the ‘black’ album. My sister had that on cassette and hearing it blasting out of her room was enough to tell me they’d gone to shit.

Good times.

Dont feel weird, you might learn something if you stay open minded. I own all of AC/DCs albums,i just dont rate a lot of them by their own high standards.