[ Sign In | Register ]

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Treehorn
    • Jan 30th 2023

Realised I signed up for this forum almost exactly a decade ago. It has had some positive effects on my life. Forgive the indulgence…

Back in 2013 I didn’t really know much about how the band worked. There were some rumours of an AC/DC tour (not much changes on that front) and without really knowing what an internet forum was I signed up for this one.

Previously I’d never really gone beyond listening to the music. For me it wasn’t common knowledge like how Malcolm had his guitar set up etc, I’d go as far as to say that details about the band that we take for granted now weren’t widely known back then.

So joining the forum was a big education. Reading stuff about production techniques, Mutt (supposedly?) adding a track of just room silence to HTH, taping up Angus’s strings and just recording one string at a time for the intro to Evil Walks (hazy if that’s right or not)… but it was a fountain of knowledge, especially back then.

It inspired me to get into playing guitar, and of course when I bought my first Gretsch and first amp where did I turn to for help? Here of course… and some great advice I got too.

Made it to a Forum meet-up around ROB and made my first public appearance with a guitar (albeit plugged-in acoustic in a car park in Kirriemuir!) with Benji playing lead and Moose singing and witnessed by Toast… ended up forming a cover band with other people and we raised over £6000 for a cancer charity here in Glasgow.

I don’t think any of this would have happened without this site. So thank you BonLives and those of you I’ve met, and those who’ve taught me everything I know!

I still miss Jem. And that guy who ‘knows Phil Rudd’…
    Jem and GoZone are sorely missed. I hear GZ knows Phil Rudd.

Congrats on 10 years here. Coming on lucky year 13 here this summer. No other board on the net has had the kind of longevity this one has.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Brads AC/DC
    • Jan 31st 2023 edited

Well done on 10 years on this forum and congrats Treehorn! :-)

I agree, this site/forum has been such a good AC/DC education for all that have been involved. I joined in early 2016 so it's been 6 years for me. Even though I'd been a fan of the band since 1979 it was unbelievable how much knowledge I acquired from being on this forum. Thanks to bonlives and all who have contributed and shared their knowledge of the greatest Hard Rock band of all time.

And yes, whatever happened to Gem? He was one of my favourites on this site. Hope he's ok.
    •  
    • Jan 31st 2023

Posted By: SpellboundJem and GoZone are sorely missed. I hear GZ knows Phil Rudd.

Congrats on 10 years here. Coming on lucky year 13 here this summer. No other board on the net has had the kind of longevity this one has.

GoZone! Of course! Thank you.

And I realise I’m a relative newbie compared to some on here…
    •  
    • Jan 31st 2023

Posted By: Brads AC/DCWell done on 10 years on this forum and congrats Treehorn! :-)

I agree, this site/forum has been such a good AC/DC education for all that have been involved. I joined in early 2016 so it's been 6 years for me. Even though I'd been a fan of the band since 1979 it was unbelievable how much knowledge I acquired from being on this forum. Thanks to bonlives and all who have contributed and shared their knowledge of the greatest Hard Rock band of all time.

And yes, whatever happened to Gem? He was one of my favourites on this site. Hope he's ok.

Cheers! I think Jem disappeared shortly after Power Up came out but I’m not really sure why… reports emerged that he was ok though. I miss his no-nonsense demands that we RTFO as well as his swift deployment of the ban hammer when required…
    • AC/DC rock music: nimeta
    • Feb 1st 2023

I think someone upset Jem shortly after PU, which is a shame cos he was a real personality here. Hopefully in time wounds heal and he feels OK to return.

This site is great and I also learnt a lot about the band. But also, about other music. For example, right now I am listening to CCR...I never knew who they were before reading about them here (although obviously I knew quite a few of their songs from radio play). And CCR are brilliant enough to warrant being here, before we even discuss all the stuff I learn about AC/DC.
    •  
    • Feb 1st 2023

Posted By: nimetaI think someone upset Jem shortly after PU, which is a shame cos he was a real personality here. Hopefully in time wounds heal and he feels OK to return.

This site is great and I also learnt a lot about the band. But also, about other music. For example, right now I am listening to CCR...I never knew who they were before reading about them here (although obviously I knew quite a few of their songs from radio play). And CCR are brilliant enough to warrant being here, before we even discuss all the stuff I learn about AC/DC.

Nimeta just checking have you seen this? Netflix, although I’m not sure it’s available worldwide https://www.netflix....
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Starsky
    • Feb 1st 2023

I think Jem was upset and disappointed in some of the reactions PU received here. I'm not entirely sure. Anyways, I thought he was taking a break from the forum, the album release ~2-month-period was very hectic here, but he hasn't returned since.

I remember seeing Jem at the PU single drop party with the forum members on Zoom, we saw eachother on webcams, gathered 10 minutes before the drop, and RTFOd. It was 8 AM for me, I drank a bottle of whiskey during and after the party and missed my uni classes that day, obviously.

All that to say, I've been here for only 5 years, but I have enjoyed it. Thank you lads!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Toast
    • Feb 1st 2023

8 years for Toast this year I think
    9 years for me, love this place, can't imagine life without it.
    I see Jem now and then and he's in good health but no doubt this place ain't the same without him.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: razorsedge
    • Feb 1st 2023 edited

So nice to read people’s experiences on this forum, I myself joined in 2020 & have only recently learnt how to use it properly and I must say I’ve grown very fond of it :))
    Just realised passed the 10yr milestone last year as well. Wonder what the long service award is? ha :p

Maybe a mandela effect but despite joining in 2012 I seem to recall getting fans.net tshirts for the Black Ice tour and a meet up then before Wembley. Was that BI or ROB?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: angus1878
    • Feb 1st 2023

ive done 14.............woudve got less if id mudered someone
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Feb 2nd 2023 edited

Posted By: Toast8 years for Toast this year I think

Same here. It says your sign up date in the "account" section. Mine was November 2014.

I was firmly in the AC/DC usegroup before that.
    Any risingpower forum rejects on here? That’s where I started
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Janonen
    • Feb 2nd 2023

Yes, Moose. I'm of that generation, although I wasn't very active for several years.
    I started on the old usenet alt.rnr/accdc or whatever ,, clicking in from my dial up FOund this place back in 2014 or so
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Janonen
    • Feb 2nd 2023

And on the rare occasion I did post, it was probably some drunken semi-provocative stupid bullshit. Sorry about that.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Grim177
    • Feb 2nd 2023

Posted By: moosefball77Any risingpower forum rejects on here? That’s where I started

Yep. What a puerile shithole that was.