[ Sign In | Register ]

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Treehorn
    • Sep 3rd 2022 edited

Just finished ‘Denim and Leather- The Rise and Fall of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal’, to give it its full title.

A fantastic oral history of the movement by sometime Forum member and former Guardian writer Michael Hann (who also wrote my favourite tribute to Malcolm after his death). Featuring interviews with the likes of Malcolm Dome, Phil Alexander, members of everyone from Def Leppard to Saxon, Girlschool, Tygers of Pan Tang, and Venom, it’s a great read which evokes the period brilliantly and covers everything from the birth of a community to near-fatal accidents with pyros.

Some great interviews and some laugh-out-loud sniping between factions (and often members of the same band). I wouldn’t say I’m much of a fan of the genre but highly recommended for an insight of what the UK rock and metal scene was like in the late 70s and early 80s.

In true rock n roll fashion I stumbled upon the book at my local library while visiting with my toddlers!
    Thanks for the tip - I'll definitely read it when I stumble across it at the local library!
    • AC/DC rock music: savsav
    • Sep 5th 2022

Thanks for the heads up . Sounds great . I will look to pick this up . Bullet belts , Rocking double denim , band patches all over the jacket and pants . The smell (stench ) of patchouli oil . This was my outfit around that time . Great times
    • AC/DC rock music: St. Looy
    • Sep 6th 2022 edited

Then and now:

Came in just too late and in the wrong place for the full on NWOBHM, but loved it all the same. Mostly for what it did to the already going bands of the age (Priest, UFO, Scorpions, etc), giving them a kick up the arse, and a new market.
    Sounds like a fun read over winter.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Sep 7th 2022 edited

As it looks, St. Looy was a blond feller, bit of a poser.

Btw; always been fascinated by NWOBHM. Good era. Came just a few years too early for me to really live the moment when it florished.
    • Sep 7th 2022

When I was young...
    • Sep 7th 2022

Yes , that was the look . Great photo!. Haha , Just the one bullet belt? I remember my jacket was dominated by a massive IYWB album cover patch . Also the 150 studs that took me ages to attach to the jacket
    • Sep 7th 2022

Just the one bullet belt, but I did pick up all the cartridges and clips for free on the army's firing range!

If you follow the two black lines down from the A and the Angus devil of the Mexico patch, and the line between the Donington 84 and 91 patches, thats the remnants of the Motorhead patch that was on the back at the time of the first pic (1981). Above it back then was an AC/DC Let There Be Rock strip which is still also partially visible between the shoulders (of which similar ones are still on sale online - over 40 years later!), and at the bottom was the stick-on razorblade that came with Priests Breaking The Law single.
    Didn't have the pocket money for a Maiden Killer Tour patch, so Gillan 81 was the first "real" one.

Anyone else out there still in possession of their late seventies/early eighties cutdowns? Get em out if you got em! As Mr. Johnson likes to say.
    • Sep 8th 2022

This is a great idea but my cut downs are long gone. Motorhead patches looked (look) great . Quick story regarding Gillan. Saw his band 80-81 at Hull City hall. Bernie Tormé through his guitar up in the air and it hit the roof spinning down uncontrollably on to the drums . At the end of the song Gillan said that he had been rehearsing that for ages. It's just something that has stuck in my mind.
    • AC/DC rock music: JCDC
    • Sep 8th 2022

My 80s jacket is long gone too, which is a shame as it signed by all members of Iron Maiden (Clive Burr era)!
    • Sep 8th 2022

So wanted to catch Gillan with Bernie, again just too late.
    Still, the reception for Smoke... (you know it) when Ian returned to the Hammersmith stage, after Janick bridged the set to the encore doing his best Ritchie playing, was amazing. One raised fist to acknowledge the crowd and the balcony was bouncing with joy.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Sep 10th 2022

Posted By: St. LooyThen and now:

Came in just too late and in the wrong place for the full on NWOBHM, but loved it all the same. Mostly for what it did to the already going bands of the age (Priest, UFO, Scorpions, etc), giving them a kick up the arse, and a new market.
    Sounds like a fun read over winter.

That jacket sure looks like it could tell a few stories. Love the Moto Guzzi at the bottom.
    Great thread. It’s on my Amazon wish list and the recommendation is much appreciated
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Sep 12th 2022

I rode the NWOBHM right through, it was great fun.
    Agree with Looy, best part of it was the impetus and energy it gave to the bigger bands at the time.
    For me, 77-80 was the best time in music.
    Will never forget it.

Sadly, my cutdown was laid to rest many years ago.
    • AC/DC rock music: JCDC
    • Sep 12th 2022

Did anyone have Axe Attack - I had the tape cassette...
    https://www.discogs....
    Not 100% NWOBHM, but I played it to death in the early 80s!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Treehorn
    • Sep 12th 2022

Posted By: JCDCDid anyone have Axe Attack - I had the tape cassette...
    https://www.discogs....
    Not 100% NWOBHM, but I played it to death in the early 80s!

Think I still have this on vinyl- picked up when the BBC in Manchester were clearing out old vinyl libraries in 2004!
    • Sep 12th 2022

Rocco, I love the Moto Guzzi too :-)

Re: Axe Attack. Who has either of the versions with Maiden's Demo of Running Free?
    I bought the dull one back in the day. Sort of had to really - support the old (new) school! Many years later I picked up the version with the demo and the logo label, then found one with the typeset logo. UK and Irish issues, or just different label print runs?
    Ex-BBC should be a first press with the demo, I would think....?
    Were there two versions of the tape too?
    Have Maiden ever issued this elsewhere?
    • Sep 13th 2022

I still have Axe Attack somewhere . Loved it . I like the words PLAY IT LOUD on the back cover . I took these words as an order ! Was this album a tribute to Bon in anyway?
    • Sep 13th 2022

I think it was just K-Tel jumping on the Metal bandwagon. And with ten tracks a side it needed to be played loud, and with the Loudness button in to get the bass back! Still, a good compilation, and better than Vol.2, just not the NWOBHM cudos of Metal For Muthas.

If anyone jumped on exploiting Bon's death then it has to be the singles from the Heavy Metal set that WEA bought out. 4 DC singles, and two smaller bands got kicked out to make space for the two extra from the boys.
    • Sep 13th 2022

Interesting , I did enjoy collecting these singles . I had issues finding the High Voltage picture cover which was a cracking cover. I do miss a good picture cover !
    • Sep 13th 2022

Still hoping to find one of the counter display boxes for the ten HM singles. There never was an actuall box on sale, just the display one. I remember it clearly sitting on the counter at our local Boots the chemists of all places. Never saw one anywhere else, not in record stores, record chains or W.H. Smiths.

It is worth noting that Axe Attack was the only comercially available compilation LP to feature DC in the UK. Before it was only the Melody Maker coupon LP Hot Platter Cordon Bleu, and eventually in 1988 for the 40th anniversary of Atlantic there was the double LP with HTH and BIB (the CD box used well worn tapes for the mastering - hissy as fuck).
    I think that was it for vinyl comps with the band in the UK. In contrast Oz had seemingly hundreds over the years.