[ Sign In | Register ]

They recorded the album in the summer/fall of 2018 and did not release the album until November of 2020. Several members here hinted at a "couple of problems". Did we ever find out what the problems were? Obviously they were worked out.
    Probably bullshit with the record company. It's a pretty common occurance for a band to finish recording, mixing, and mastering an album, but have its release pushed back multiple months or even years due to legal copyright stuff.
    There was a forum member who said that the album was delayed in 2020 due to Covid. I don't know about the delays before that.
    • AC/DC rock music: nimeta
    • Jan 12th 2022

For sure Covid won't have helped !!

Maybe this is the reason Brians book is delayed. He's writing the chapter on PWR UP :)
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: jonalba
    • Jan 12th 2022

Well it was going to be spring of 2020 but COVID messed that up. Fraser mentioned in my interview, and Angus said in others I believe, that there were overdubs being done in 2019 in LA, so I think it may just have been wanting to take time with it to get things right and line up a promotional push honestly.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Jan 12th 2022

But was there ever an album that had such a big gap between recording and releasing? I don't think so.
    Wasn't there some issue with money? Record company?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Jan 12th 2022

From what I understand one of the factors was they had to made sure they could go out on the road from an insurance point of view after what had happened on the ROB tour with Brian ecc. I guess that took some time and as long as that wasn’t solved it would have made no sense to put out the album. Then when they were finally ready in early 2020 COVID hit and the release was pushed back until November 2020. I guess at that stage they hoped COVID would ease up until 2021. But that’s just my two cents.
    Fucking Covid.
    It must have been because Angus thinking that could he really put the turd Wild Reputation (one toilet town) next to brilliance of the other tracks. Record label wanted one more and he had to put in on the album, other choice Rockin the Parlour (feat Dave Evans)
    Posted By: CliffFINmark2It must have been because Angus thinking that could he really put the turd Wild Reputation (one toilet town) next to brilliance of the other tracks.

You have a funny way of spelling Code Red. Is that the Finnish spelling by any chance?
    They don't like those who have a wild reputation in the neck of the Finnish woods.
    Posted By: mutt_langes_perm
    Posted By: CliffFINmark2It must have been because Angus thinking that could he really put the turd Wild Reputation (one toilet town) next to brilliance of the other tracks.

You have a funny way of spelling Code Red. Is that the Finnish spelling by any chance?

Aa Mutt ol Geezer, Fire one - Fire two. Code Red is a masterpiece!

And Meanstreak, correct in Finland we prefer a mild Reputation - and if you would happen to have a wild Reputation, one should keep It to him/herself
    Ok, Mild Reputation, it is.
    Posted By: RoccoFrom what I understand one of the factors was they had to made sure they could go out on the road from an insurance point of view after what had happened on the ROB tour with Brian ecc. I guess that took some time and as long as that wasn’t solved it would have made no sense to put out the album. Then when they were finally ready in early 2020 COVID hit and the release was pushed back until November 2020. I guess at that stage they hoped COVID would ease up until 2021. But that’s just my two cents.

I'd imagine touring with Phil was a similar concern.

It's also possible that they did more writing in the studio than usual, we know Ang and BOB were wading through boxes of old tapes, right? Those photos could have been from the early stages of sorting out their material.
    Angus had to learn the C chord to overdub it on the prechorus of SITD.
    •  
    • 6 days ago

Posted By: SabbathFuckingSucksAngus had to learn the C chord to overdub it on the prechorus of SITD.
    If it was only the C chord, it would have been released in 2019. But it was a C7 chord so that's why it became 2020.
    • AC/DC rock music: Pancake81
    • 6 days ago edited

They had been anticipating following up with a tour, so proactively delayed release for things to settle down. When it was evident that wasn’t going to happen, they went ahead with the release.

I know we are a snoopy bunch and loved the hype around the photos from warehouse studious, but it would have been amazing if that was released out of no where, as it was intended.
    •  
    • 6 days ago edited

Posted By: ToiletWallPoet
    Posted By: RoccoFrom what I understand one of the factors was they had to made sure they could go out on the road from an insurance point of view after what had happened on the ROB tour with Brian ecc. I guess that took some time and as long as that wasn’t solved it would have made no sense to put out the album. Then when they were finally ready in early 2020 COVID hit and the release was pushed back until November 2020. I guess at that stage they hoped COVID would ease up until 2021. But that’s just my two cents.

I'd imagine touring with Phil was a similar concern.

It's also possible that they did more writing in the studio than usual, we know Ang and BOB were wading through boxes of old tapes, right? Those photos could have been from the early stages of sorting out their material.
    Angus (and Malcolm) always waded through boxes of tapes before recording. This one, just as RoB was no difference. Normally Angus only calls in the band when he has finished going through the boxes and has 80% of the material ready for recording. Those pictures i believe were just from the recording sessions with putting on the final touches. 2019 was for overdubs and some remixing. 2020 april was the orginal release planned of SITD.
    So 2019 is a bit of a lost year and that is weird because they have never had such a long time between recording and releasing. Some thing went on that year.
    Something clearly happened in 2019 which effectively shelved the album for a year.

No way did they spend the whole year mixing it, I reckon it was done and dusted early 2019 at the latest and then ‘something’ saw it put back on the shelf and we’ll never know why

And frankly we don’t need to

But the whole Covid delay is clearly nonsense seeing as it only started a year after it was ‘done’

Maybe we’ll read about why one day but I doubt it
    Posted By: ThankassAngus (and Malcolm) always waded through boxes of tapes before recording. This one, just as RoB was no difference. Normally Angus only calls in the band when he has finished going through the boxes and has 80% of the material ready for recording. Those pictures i believe were just from the recording sessions with putting on the final touches. 2019 was for overdubs and some remixing. 2020 april was the orginal release planned of SITD.
    So 2019 is a bit of a lost year and that is weird because they have never had such a long time between recording and releasing. Some thing went on that year.

I know, and I'm saying maybe this time Ang went in before sorting through the material so BOB could help him in Mal's absence. They certainly took their time going through material in 2003-2007, anyway. Ang can afford paying for a studio and BOB while sorting and arranging material if that's what he wants to do.
    It could be possible that there was another FOTS scenario, where the record company (George, in this analogy) came in and said, "this isn't good enough", because they didn't want another ROB. Maybe the "overdubs" were more extensive work than we think. Who knows.
    For a band who spends 6 weeks laying down an album, they didn’t spend a year doing overdubs.

Ang no doubt spent time with BO’B in the mix but again it’s more likely we’re talking weeks.
    Posted By: BillyBollocksBut the whole Covid delay is clearly nonsense seeing as it only started a year after it was ‘done’

I don't think the Covid delay is nonsense. They filmed the Shot In The Dark video in February 2020 and the album didn't release until November. Seems likely to me that they wanted to release the album soon after the video recording, but had to push it back due to Covid.

There was a forum member who claimed that the original release date for the album was April 2020. I don't know what his source was.

Obviously Covid didn't cause any of the delays prior to 2020.
    Posted By: ShootToThrill
    Posted By: BillyBollocksBut the whole Covid delay is clearly nonsense seeing as it only started a year after it was ‘done’

I don't think the Covid delay is nonsense. They filmed the Shot In The Dark video in February 2020 and the album didn't release until November. Seems likely to me that they wanted to release the album soon after the video recording, but had to push it back due to Covid.

There was a forum member who claimed that the original release date for the album was April 2020. I don't know what his source was.

Obviously Covid didn't cause any of the delays prior to 2020.

Covid came about in early 2020, the question at hand here is surely why an album recorded in 2018 didn’t come out in 2019?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DrBelford
    • 5 days ago edited

Posted By: ShootToThrillObviously Covid didn't cause any of the delays prior to 2020.

Correct

Posted By: ShootToThrillThere was a forum member who claimed that the original release date for the album was April 2020. I don't know what his source was.

Early/mid 2020 as original release date is a fairly solid guess. I think this was also confirmed in some of the interviews.

IIRC the subject is brought up in the Delray interview (when Delray is describing his exclusive opportunity to listen to the whole album for the first time in early 2020)

(After 49:00 Min mark)
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Toast
    • 5 days ago

Marketing/sales/tour based decision.

Wait until you can guarantee maximum profit from the album and promotion
    • AC/DC rock music: Glum9
    • 5 days ago

Maybe they were waiting until 2020 because they wanted the album to come out 40 years after Back In Black and not 39?
    Posted By: BillyBollocksCovid came about in early 2020, the question at hand here is surely why an album recorded in 2018 didn’t come out in 2019?

Where does the OP mention 2019?

The thread was asking about all delays, not just delays that happened in 2019. When I mentioned Covid I made sure to acknowledge that it wasn't the whole reason, and I couldn't answer what happened before it.