[ Sign In | Register ]

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Jan 10th 2022

When the band first started out they said in their earliest interviews that it was George's wife Sandra that came up with the band's name. Later they always said it was actually their sister Margaret. In an interview he did last year for BBC Scotland Angus kind of clears those conflicting statements up: It was actually Sandra who came up with the name, while Margaret had the idea for the lightning bold because she saw that on her sewing machine.

(The question and answer about the origin of the name start at 13:35)
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Jan 10th 2022

Thank God. The order in the universe has been restored ;)
    Posted By: Roccowhile Margaret had the idea for the lightning bold because she saw that on her sewing machine.

Would have there been a lightning bolt on the sewing machine logo though? I'm not so sure.

The old school sewing machines I've seen pictures of, have the initials A.C.D.C. on them. No lightning bolt.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: SHOO23L
    • Jan 10th 2022 edited

Perhaps Angus is misremembering it, and it was Margaret who suggested the name, and Sandra who suggested the lighting bolt.
    The mystery continues!

At least they moved on quickly from the original "blocks" logo. The stencil logo that followed wasn't much more exciting, but at least it was used in a way that would be expected for the design (stenciled sign on High Voltage, stenciled crate boards on TNT)

•  
    • Jan 10th 2022

Posted By: SHOO23LPerhaps Angus is misremembering it, and it was Margaret who suggested the name, and Sandra who suggested the lighting bolt.
    The mystery continues!

At least they moved on quickly from the original "blocks" logo. The stencil logo that followed wasn't much more exciting, but at least it was used in a way that would be expected for the design (stenciled sign on High Voltage, stenciled crate boards on TNT)

In some of the very first interviews from 1974 they clearly say that Sandra came up with the name. So I don’t think he misremembers that part. Dave Evans also confirmed that it was actually Sandra who came up with the name.
    •  
    • Jan 10th 2022

Posted By: ThankassThank God. The order in the universe has been restored ;)

We can also go back discussing about asses stuffed with bananas while standing in the side of the road and it’s effect on (not) transmitting COVID :-P
    •  
    • Jan 10th 2022

Posted By: mutt_langes_perm
    Posted By: Roccowhile Margaret had the idea for the lightning bold because she saw that on her sewing machine.

Would have there been a lightning bolt on the sewing machine logo though? I'm not so sure.

The old school sewing machines I've seen pictures of, have the initials A.C.D.C. on them. No lightning bolt.

No fucking clue (but already see myself spending hours googling pictures of old sewing machines).
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Jan 10th 2022 edited

Posted By: Rocco

We can also go back discussing about asses stuffed with bananas while standing in the side of the road and it’s effect on (not) transmitting COVID :-P
    No no Rocco, just fucking a bit with ya ;) it's indeed a topic that always is and was a bit of a mystery. Just one of those typical acdc stories with many different twists. Although it has been asked by interviewers about 3.647 times.
    •  
    • Jan 10th 2022

Posted By: Thankass
    Posted By: Rocco

No no Rocco, just fucking a bit with ya ;) it's indeed a topic that always is and was a bit of a mystery. Just one of those typical acdc stories with many different twists. Although it has been asked by interviewers about 3.647 times.

Yeah, that’s why I posted it. I found it very interesting that after telling 45 years the story in a certain way, that wasn’t the same as the very first information they gave back in ‘74, suddenly Ang goes back (partly at least) to the original story.
    Posted By: SHOO23L

At least they moved on quickly from the original "blocks" logo.

Looks a bit like a dick and two balls. I wonder if that's what they intended?

The fact that Sandra's name comes up at all suggests she probably came up with the name. It was probably easy to misremember that as Margaret since I think Margaret did some of the sewing-machine work for Angus in the early years, like putting the white trim on his original school blazer, the 'A' on his cap, and the 'super-Ang' suit.

Dave Evans mentioned somewhere that the band then voted on the name at their rehearsal-space in Newtown.
    Posted By: CantEvenFeedMyCatLooks a bit like a dick and two balls.

LOL! Are your balls cube shaped mate? If so, I suggest seeing a doctor pronto. :)

Seriously though, that logo reminds me more of a pair of dice that you'd see hanging from a rearview mirror.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: SHOO23L
    • Jan 11th 2022

Posted By: mutt_langes_perm

Seriously though, that logo reminds me more of a pair of dice that you'd see hanging from a rearview mirror.

I've always been under the impression that they were supposed to be letter blocks, which (I guess) was supposed to tie in to the schoolboy image of Angus.

Posted By: mutt_langes_permLOL! Are your balls cube shaped mate?

Come to think of it, my dick has strange kinks in it as well. I'd better make an appointment!