[ Sign In | Register ]

Posted By: BillyBollocks
    I purposefully stayed in the bar when My Bloody Valentine played the Rollercoaster in Birmingham, I was adamant they were shit.

I guess Billy B. wasn't so hip back in the '92. Dare I say, he seemed a bit conservative, musically speaking.
    During the infamous Loveless sessions, My Bloody Valentine's singer Kevin Shields grew ever more unhinged, traumatising his bandmates with his drug-fuelled quest for the "sound in his head", and the album's swelling costs was threatening to bankrupt a pre-Oasis Creation Records. Label boss Alan McGee finally went down to the studio to find Shields standing alone in the vast dome of barbed wire he'd constructed to envelope the studio. McGee immediately cut himself on the barbed wire trying to gain entry and as he mopped his wound uttered the immortal words: 'is everything OK, Kevin?'
    Good topic, here's some of mine:

1. I saw AC/DC twice with Malcolm still in the band, but I could have seen them 3 times. The reason I didn't go to the third show was because I had only just turned 18 and I had never travelled by myself, and I had some other stuff going on as well, but there was nothing stopping me from going. Two out of three isn't bad though.

2. I had planned to see the Rolling Stones for the first time in 2014. The shows were originally early in the year and I missed out on tickets. Then the shows were postponed to later in the year and it seemed like I had been given a second chance to see them. This time I did get tickets, but the show was cancelled. I bought a ticket for another show but didn't end up going because it was too short notice. I never saw them at all because they never came back to my country after that.

3. I saw Alice Cooper for the first time in 2017. I was not that impressed. The performance itself was fine, but he said almost nothing to the audience the entire time. So there was no interaction between the performer and the audience like there should be at live shows, which made the whole thing feel absolutely robotic. Going through the motions is how I would describe it. Maybe it was an off night for him because I know his shows usually get good reviews.
    Posted By: mutt_langes_perm
    I purposefully stayed in the bar when My Bloody Valentine played the Rollercoaster in Birmingham, I was adamant they were shit.

I guess Billy B. wasn't so hip back in the '92. There I say, he seemed a bit conservative, musically speaking.

Were MBV ever hip?

I guess Billy B. wasn't so hip back in the '92. There I say, he seemed a bit conservative, musically speaking.

Were MBV ever hip?

Probably not hip but definitely influential - they spawned the Shoegazing scene (Ride, Slowdive, Catherine Wheel etc) pretty much single-handedly although Shields was always sniffily ambivalent about that achievement. In the US, too, I remember Billy Corgan and Chris Cornell name-checking them.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Dec 18th 2021 edited

I left the first DC show before the end, so I didn’t miss the train.
    Turned round just as I was about to walk out of the door and contemplated getting the milk or paper train home.
    So wish I had.
    • AC/DC rock music: Dean
    • Dec 18th 2021

I should have seen The Stones a few years ago, ticket bought and everything, but had to pull out at the last minute. I'll right that wrong hopefully, but won't be the same without Charlie.

My old man had a ticket for Queen at Knebworth '86 (Queen's last ever show), however, a Celtic XI were playing a bounce game so he chose to go to that instead with the mind set "I'll catch them next time...".
    Unreal that story. Biggest things my old man gave to me other than life were my love of music, particularly Queen, and Celtic of Glasgow. Champion of a man.
    Posted By: DeanI should have seen The Stones a few years ago, ticket bought and everything, but had to pull out at the last minute. I'll right that wrong hopefully, but won't be the same without Charlie.

My old man had a ticket for Queen at Knebworth '86 (Queen's last ever show), however, a Celtic XI were playing a bounce game so he chose to go to that instead with the mind set "I'll catch them next time...".
    Unreal that story. Biggest things my old man gave to me other than life were my love of music, particularly Queen, and Celtic of Glasgow. Champion of a man.

Your Dad made the right choice
    Posted By: azelI left the first DC show before the end, so I didn’t miss the train.
    Turned round just as I was about to walk out of the door and contemplated getting the milk or paper train home.
    So wish I had.

We were up the steps at Stage De France in 2001 as FTATR was ending hoping to beat the mad train rush back into the city

Something stopped us from actually leaving though and then history happened right there and then

Ride On
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Dec 18th 2021

Posted By: azelI left the first DC show before the end, so I didn’t miss the train.
    So wish I had.

We were up the steps at Stage De France in 2001 as FTATR was ending hoping to beat the mad train rush back into the city

Something stopped us from actually leaving though and then history happened right there and then

Ride On

Terrific.

I applied for a ticket for the “Thankuou London” show after the HTH dates at Hammy in ‘79, but got the “Sold Out” letter back in the post.
    Had I been a couple of years older, I’d have travelled, and would have got in somehow, and seen “Baby please don’t go” and “Long way to the top”.
    • AC/DC rock music: Raff
    • Dec 18th 2021

Somehow i was not to keen to drive the 200 km on my own to see this show. Rockpalast keeps rebrodcasting this concert from time to time and reminding me of this poor decision...

I guess Billy B. wasn't so hip back in the '92. Dare I say, he seemed a bit conservative, musically speaking.

Billy speaks about Adam Ant (adamant)?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Goulash
    • Dec 18th 2021

I'm with St Looy about Ozzy with Randy in 1981.i had a ticket to the Manchester show that should've been 40 years ago today. I still feel robbed.
    Biggest waste of money was buying a ticket for Radiohead when they played Warrington. They were atrocious.
    Lucky breaks were Bon Jovi supporting Kiss in 1984, Muse supporting Live in 1999 and being invited to watch Springsteen from the directors' box at Old Trafford to name but a few.
    Had tickets for pantera and sepultura 94 , had already seen pantera but was a huge sepultura fan , turns out the show was night of graduation rehearsal and the stipulation was you had to attend or you couldn’t walk the stage and receive diploma the actual night a week later which I couldn’t disappoint my family so I didn’t go but my friends did who were banned from graduation until I personally spoke to principal of the school and convinced him to allow my classmates to attend ceremony
    Wish I had gotten into rush earlier than 2001 after seeing them in 02 I was hooked and fortunate enough to catch 6 more times before they retired
    Was very close to going to sars benefit in Toronto in 03 but backed out
    That one stings
    1. Could have seen AC/DC in Edmonton on the ROB tour. Said fuck it and didn't go.
    2. Motley Crue.
    Posted By: SabbathFuckingSucks
    2. Motley Crue.

I totally understand your regret, but why did you go in the first place? ;)
    Fuck me I regretted seeing motley Crue the last time I did, late 80s

Utterly abysmal
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Badlands66
    • Dec 19th 2021 edited

Steering clear of Motley Crue could be filed under biggest gig positives.
    Posted By: SabbathFuckingSucks1. Could have seen AC/DC in Edmonton on the ROB tour. Said fuck it and didn't go.

AC/DCFuckingSucks?