[ Sign In | Register ]

•  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Dec 15th 2021 edited

What were the shows you missed but could have gone to?
    What was the show you paid big bucks for, and felt let down?
    Which bands have you got into in later life, and felt that you missed out on?

Me:

1. Thin Lizzy on the Black Rose tour. I would have said The Who & AC/DC at Wembley, but I was actually in another country.
    2. No real regrets of paying to see a band I didn't enjoy, but regret getting sh!tfaced in Hannover and DC being just a big blur.
    3. Lots, but I'll choose Tool, Rush, The Ramones and Radiohead as stand-outs.
    Hammersmith 2003

Had ticket, was ill
    •  
    • Dec 15th 2021

Posted By: BillyBollocksHammersmith 2003

Had ticket, was ill

Fuck.
    The thought of the stress of trying to get my ticket that day still makes me feel ill.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Dec 15th 2021

AC/DC Circus Krone in 2003. I was flat broke at the time.

Motörhead: Never saw ‘em live and when I finally had tickets for a gig Lemmy died.
    Pink Floyd back in ‘94, their last tour. Wasn’t quite into them at the time.

Last Motorhead gig in 2015, thought I’d catch them at a later date, Lemmy died a month or so later, been reading about his declining health beforehand and should have gone, get to live with the bitter regret now.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jet1984
    • Dec 15th 2021 edited

Was planning on seeing a couple of gigs of the BI Tour in Australia back in 2010, flights booked from Euorpe and all. Fell ill a few weeks before and had to cancel everything just a few days before my flight. Looking at the videos of the boys doing High Voltage with Bon on the big screen still makes me want to punch a hole into a wall.

Got into Oasis quite a bit recently and in hindsight regret not having gone to a gig back when they still were touring. Fucking brilliant music.
    •  
    • Dec 15th 2021

I was offered a free ticket to see Queen at Milton Keynes and turned it down. Was a big fan in the early days, but drifted away from them.
    Wish I'd gone, just to see how good Freddie was.

Just remembered....ignore my biggest regret above.....I got talked out of going to Donington '84 by my then girlfriend, in favour of a holiday in Dorset.
    She was hot, but can't believe I missed that line-up now!!
    The other 2 River Plate shows. Was 15 and had spent all my money on the first show's ticket.
    BB King in 2010. He passed away later.
    The other concerts Aerosmith did here (2011 and 2013)
    Maybe others but those are the few that come to mind.
    Eric Clapton. Boring concert.
    •  
    • Dec 15th 2021

I saw DC at Wembley Arena on "The Cannon & Bell" tour, and decided not to try for Hammy tickets which were dates released later.

So wish I'd broken the bank!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Dec 15th 2021

Posted By: Jet1984Was planning on seeing a couple of gigs of the BI Tour in Australia back in 2010, flights booked from Euorpe and all. Fell ill a few weeks before and had to cancel everything just a few days before my flight. Looking at the videos of the boys doing High Voltage with Bon on the big screen still makes me want to punch a hole into a wall.

Got into Oasis quite a bit recently and in hindsight regret not having gone to a gig back when they still were touring. Fucking brilliant music.

You didn't miss much: I saw Oasis live in 2005 and it was a disappointing (which was mainly down to Liam's annoying behaviour and "singing"). I'm probably not what you would call a die hard fan but I love their first 2 albums and I still think Noel is great.
    • AC/DC rock music: St. Looy
    • Dec 15th 2021

Ozzy at Hammersmith Boxing Day 40 years ago this Christmas. Cancelled the whole European tour after only a couple of shows. Hammy would have been Randy's last European show, as if not seeing the gig wasn't bad enough. Mind you, I miss what I didn't see. If it was felt necessary to cancel the tour, but he'd carried on another couple of months, who knows what a disappointment that might have been.

Not going to Russia for DC in 91 - a story involving the band that I won't be divulging, but boy did they try to make it happen!
    Posted By: Jet1984

Hugely overrated live band (and on record for me)

I saw them 3 times. First tour in a local Civic Hall, was pretty good. No drama then and it was better for it

Headlining Glastonbury mid 90s just before the second album I think. Very boring

Earls Court on the second album tour. Even more boring so we left after about 30 minutes
    • AC/DC rock music: nimeta
    • Dec 15th 2021

Probably I will be banned for this for a while, but there was a G'n'R tour kinda around the Appetite period that I couldn't go to cos of exams....sometimes I am such a stupid fuck.

Anyway in my moment of remorse I just now checked setlist.fm and realised that I only actually missed 11 songs !!!! 2 of these they didn't even write lol

https://www.setlist....

Still I stand behind me assertion that I was a stupid fuck ;) I should have gone !!!
    • AC/DC rock music: nimeta
    • Dec 15th 2021

by the way I aced my exams and did well, so it's not 100% bad. Probably 99.3% bad !!! We can debate on a separate thread
    Oasis always reminded me of a British Guns n Roses. Very arrogant, very gobby singer, very popular very fast, very derivative but both produced songs of such undeniable quality that it sort of didn't matter for their first couple of albums. Who cares if someone's a magpie if they're writing songs as good as Live Forever, Slide Away, Acquiesce, Welcome to the Jungle and Sweet Child. The difference is that at his very best - Live Forever, say, almost a perfect song - Noel could move me whereas G n R couldn't get serious without getting soppy. And G n R wore cowboy boots which is obviously a hanging offence in any language or era.
    • AC/DC rock music: Big Rab
    • Dec 15th 2021

Monsters of Rock 1984 AC/DC and Van Halen with Ozzy, Gary Moore, Motley Crue, Y&T and Accept. Got chicken pox 2 days before and im still pissed about it.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jet1984
    • Dec 15th 2021 edited

Posted By: Alex LebanonOasis always reminded me of a British Guns n Roses. Very arrogant, very gobby singer, very popular very fast, very derivative but both produced songs of such undeniable quality that it sort of didn't matter for their first couple of albums. Who cares if someone's a magpie if they're writing songs as good as Live Forever, Slide Away, Acquiesce, Welcome to the Jungle and Sweet Child. The difference is that at his very best - Live Forever, say, almost a perfect song - Noel could move me whereas G n R couldn't get serious without getting soppy. And G n R wore cowboy boots which is obviously a hanging offence in any language or era.

It's a bit how I see it. I mean the way they behaved and still do just makes any grown man cry, but then again songs like Cigarettes and Alcohol, Live Forever, Acquiesce etc. make me look past that quite easily. Love lots of the music, think it would still sound cracking in the arena today.
    Posted By: Jet1984
    Posted By: Alex LebanonOasis always reminded me of a British Guns n Roses. Very arrogant, very gobby singer, very popular very fast, very derivative but both produced songs of such undeniable quality that it sort of didn't matter for their first couple of albums. Who cares if someone's a magpie if they're writing songs as good as Live Forever, Slide Away, Acquiesce, Welcome to the Jungle and Sweet Child. The difference is that at his very best - Live Forever, say, almost a perfect song - Noel could move me whereas G n R couldn't get serious without getting soppy. And G n R wore cowboy boots which is obviously a hanging offence in any language or era.

It's a bit how I see it. I mean the way they behaved and still do just makes any grown man cry, but then again songs like Cigarettes and Alcohol, Live Forever, Acquiesce etc. make me look past that quite easily. Love lots of the music, think it would still sound cracking in the arena today.

Certainly in the UK I'd also give Oasis credit for getting a certain demographic of audience who I'd never really seen at gigs before - in a word LADS - twenty/thirtysomething blokes more likely to be found on the football terraces etc. You'd see a lot of big, bald tattooed guys who looked like off-duty bouncers in tears during the likes of Don't Look Back In Anger. Love them or loathe them, Oasis were a people's band - explaining how they could still still out Wembley Stadium FOUR NIGHTS even in the dying days of 2009.

And yes there is a massive pile of money waiting for them if the brothers ever buried the hatchet and did a reunion tour. I'm sure their mum would be very happy if they did. The problem is that Liam can sell out two nights at Knebworth on his own now so the incentive is not there - and Noel is mega rich from publishing, Wonderwall alone still makes him a fortune every year. So, all told, hard to see it happening.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Moh
    • Dec 16th 2021

1. Tom Petty on his last Tour.
    2. Aerosmith 2017. Worst sound I've ever experienced. We had big trouble to identify the songs.
    3. I am sure there are some I can't think of right now.
    Posted By: nimetaProbably I will be banned for this for a while, but there was a G'n'R tour kinda around the Appetite period that I couldn't go to cos of exams....sometimes I am such a stupid fuck.

Anyway in my moment of remorse I just now checked setlist.fm and realised that I only actually missed 11 songs !!!! 2 of these they didn't even write lol

https://www.setlist....

Still I stand behind me assertion that I was a stupid fuck ;) I should have gone !!!

I went to three of those five UK dates, inc Manchester

Couple of random facts, the Apollo balcony wasn’t even open, stalls about 3/4 full. And I manned the spotlight on Axl for about half a song when my mate Steve who was doing it that night went for a piss

Good gig though
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Dec 16th 2021

Posted By: BillyBollocksAnd I manned the spotlight on Axl for about half a song when my mate Steve who was doing it that night went for a piss
    If you'd done that during an Axl/DC gig you'd probably used a laser beam i suppose?
    Probably Queen on the Magic tour
    Rolling Stones at the old Wembley on the Steel Wheels tour - i wasn't impressed at all. Also GnR were disappointing.
    Classic VH - though did get to the 3/4 version in 2015
    Posted By: Thankass
    Posted By: BillyBollocksAnd I manned the spotlight on Axl for about half a song when my mate Steve who was doing it that night went for a piss
    If you'd done that during an Axl/DC gig you'd probably used a laser beam i suppose?

No I’d have been the one taking a two hour piss break
    Posted By: BillyBollocks
    Posted By: Thankass

No I’d have been the one taking a two hour piss break

Fuckin’ humiliating, manning the spotlight on him and he actually goes over to front your favourite band later on. What a prick.
    Yeah he was a prick back then make no mistake, but GNR were fucking GREAT!

My whole problem with him being given the temporary DC job is nobody should’ve been given it. Tour should’ve been canned like other bands do when such obstacles arrive

But to carry on and choose someone with such a distinctive voice was … well I’ve still not got over it frankly
    •  
    • Dec 16th 2021

Just thought of another.....went to see the Scorpions at the Hammy Odeon, supported by one of my boyhood heroes, Michael Schenker.

Mr. Schenker was so pissed that he only lasted a few songs, and half finished a number on his knees before being assisted offstage by roadies.

Was gutted at the time.
    Posted By: azelJust thought of another.....went to see the Scorpions at the Hammy Odeon, supported by one of my boyhood heroes, Michael Schenker.

Mr. Schenker was so pissed that he only lasted a few songs, and half finished a number on his knees before being assisted offstage by roadies.

Was gutted at the time.

What year was that?
    •  
    • Dec 16th 2021

Posted By: Meanstreak
    Posted By: azelJust thought of another.....went to see the Scorpions at the Hammy Odeon, supported by one of my boyhood heroes, Michael Schenker.

Was gutted at the time.

What year was that?

I kinda wish I had gone to the SARS show in Toronto, living only 1 1/2 hours from there. I just didn't fancy standing in a field with 500,000 other people.
    I remember coming out of an Iggy Pop gig in about 87/88 before he’d even come on stage as me and my mate were absolutely twatted

By the time we’d got back home we were both sobered up and regretting our complete idiocy of course
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Dec 16th 2021

What were the shows you missed but could have gone to?
    AC/DC 1988 in the Rijnhal in Arnhem (RIP). In the non-internet time i was not in time aware of the opening sales date and when i knew it was already sold out. A friend of ours had a ticket though and could at least give a review of how it was. The day after, in a rock radio program, they played BIB from the night before and it sounded mighty. Luckily i could tape it and treasured it for years. I also missed out on the GnR/Faster Pussycat gig in Amsterdam Paradiso in 1987 but just because i only got massively into GnR in the beginning of '88.

What was the show you paid big bucks for, and felt let down?
    AC/DC in 2009 in the Amsterdam Arena; worst place to do a gig because of the very bad acoustics. The visuals were still great though.

Which bands have you got into in later life, and felt that you missed out on?
    Not much. Maybe Rory Gallagher. I only started to play him one year before he died.
    •  
    • Dec 17th 2021

Posted By: BillyBollocksI remember coming out of an Iggy Pop gig in about 87/88 before he’d even come on stage as me and my mate were absolutely twatted

By the time we’d got back home we were both sobered up and regretting our complete idiocy of course

I've had too many gigs over the years where I enjoyed the pre-gig festivities just a little too much. Travelled to Florida for Van Halen and came very close to overdoing it and wiping out the gig itself!
    On the Black Ice and RoB tours, I managed to perfect the art of pre-partying to the point where I could sober up just in time for the opening video (Hannover excepted!).
    I think I saw Alice Cooper and Motorhead playing in Denver back in 1996. Or maybe it was 1995. I'm sure it was a great concert, too bad I can´t remember anything because, as dumb as I was back then (some might argue I still am, fair enough) I was stoned out of my fucking head. I regret that, even today.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: BallToucher
    • Dec 17th 2021 edited

Oh, and I had once free tickets to see the Grateful Dead, but I gave them away to someone who was a fan. Gosh, I'm an idiot.

Not only that, we ended up hanging around the parking lot, with all the hippies that were following them around the country, and listening what little we could from outside. Anyway, that parking lot experience was amazing. It was like another universe.
    Posted By: BallToucherI think I saw Alice Cooper and Motorhead playing in Denver back in 1996. Or maybe it was 1995

It was in 1988. :P

Seriously though, they also toured together in 1991 (Operation Rock N Roll). Hey, at least, you got the decade right. :)
    •  
    • Dec 17th 2021

Fairly sure I saw Motorhead support Alice Cooper at the Brighton Centre UK in the last ten years?
    Posted By: mutt_langes_perm
    Posted By: BallToucherI think I saw Alice Cooper and Motorhead playing in Denver back in 1996. Or maybe it was 1995

It was in 1988. :P

Seriously though, they also toured together in 1991 (Operation Rock N Roll). Hey, at least, you got the decade right. :)

Haha, no, it was in the mid 90s. I checked it once because I was afraid I might had even just dreamed it, lmao.

I did saw them in 1991 and I have some recollection of that because I was younger and not into all the shit stuff I later got into, which I regret of greatly, obviously. Judas Priest was there, too!
    Alice Cooper & Motorhead never shared a tour in the mid 90’s. You dreamed it.
    Posted By: BillyBollocksI remember coming out of an Iggy Pop gig in about 87/88 before he’d even come on stage as me and my mate were absolutely twatted

Too pissed to rock, I love it. We've all been there. I climbed in the urinal at Brixton Academy on the Rollercoater tour in 1992 aka the Jesus & Mary Chain & My Blood Valentine with a pre-fame Blur supporting. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Despite being out of my tiny mind , I will never forget how loud MBV were - nothing's ever come close - Slayer, Swans, nothing. It felt like someone was attacking your internal organs.
    Posted By: Alex Lebanon

Too pissed to rock, I love it. We've all been there. I climbed in the urinal at Brixton Academy on the Rollercoater tour in 1992 aka the Jesus & Mary Chain & My Blood Valentine with a pre-fame Blur supporting. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Despite being out of my tiny mind , I will never forget how loud MBV were - nothing's ever come close - Slayer, Swans, nothing. It felt like someone was attacking your internal organs.

Ha!

I purposefully stayed in the bar when My Bloody Valentine played the Rollercoaster in Birmingham, I was adamant they were shit. Years later I ‘got it’ and have regretted missing them ever since

You forgot to add Dinosaur Jr who also played