[ Sign In | Register ]

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Treehorn
    • Dec 6th 2021 edited

Never particularly kept up with Slash’s career, but I saw the (enormous AC/DC fan and always inspiring) Peter Dankelson cover this yesterday.

Quite an earworm, I love it. Feels like a cousin of Sweet Child O’Mine and streets ahead of what passed for ‘new GnR material’ a couple of months back.

He gets his money’s worth out of the main riff but it works for me.

He's my biggest influence next to Angus, so I don't say this lightly, but he's seems to have lost his touch. Apocalyptic Love was his last truly good album. World on Fire had some good moments, and then the last album was just completely forgettable IMO. His tone has also gotten worse in the same time span. His cleans were never all that special but they sound completely dead these days. Even his distorted tone is too clean so he can't get the sustain necessary for long bends like in Nov Rain, and he's often rushing the tempo on slower stuff like that, too. Somehow he hits more bum notes than when he was an alcoholic... it really sucks to see. I'm worried what this could mean for new GNR material, although I like what he did with Hard School, at least.

That said, this is better than the first single and has an interesting main riff melody there at least. But you can hear the things I'm pointing out in this video; his tone is weirdly clean for the solo and there are notes that he doesn't even fully pluck like at 3:20, that weak sounding trill at 3:42, and at 4:21 you can hear a missed note.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: acadacauk
    • Dec 7th 2021

Its got a touch of the midlands band called MAGNUM. Its ok though
    Posted By: ToiletWallPoetHe's my biggest influence next to Angus, so I don't say this lightly, but he's seems to have lost his touch. Apocalyptic Love was his last truly good album. World on Fire had some good moments, and then the last album was just completely forgettable IMO. His tone has also gotten worse in the same time span. His cleans were never all that special but they sound completely dead these days. Even his distorted tone is too clean so he can't get the sustain necessary for long bends like in Nov Rain, and he's often rushing the tempo on slower stuff like that, too. Somehow he hits more bum notes than when he was an alcoholic... it really sucks to see. I'm worried what this could mean for new GNR material, although I like what he did with Hard School, at least.

That said, this is better than the first single and has an interesting main riff melody there at least. But you can hear the things I'm pointing out in this video; his tone is weirdly clean for the solo and there are notes that he doesn't even fully pluck like at 3:20, that weak sounding trill at 3:42, and at 4:21 you can hear a missed note.

I think the best thing you could do is contact his people and offer to teach him your guitar playing secrets Toilet

For the sake of humanity at least
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Dec 7th 2021

Posted By: BillyBollocks
    Posted By: ToiletWallPoetHe's my biggest influence next to Angus, so I don't say this lightly, but he's seems to have lost his touch. Apocalyptic Love was his last truly good album. World on Fire had some good moments, and then the last album was just completely forgettable IMO. His tone has also gotten worse in the same time span. His cleans were never all that special but they sound completely dead these days. Even his distorted tone is too clean so he can't get the sustain necessary for long bends like in Nov Rain, and he's often rushing the tempo on slower stuff like that, too. Somehow he hits more bum notes than when he was an alcoholic... it really sucks to see. I'm worried what this could mean for new GNR material, although I like what he did with Hard School, at least.

I think the best thing you could do is contact his people and offer to teach him your guitar playing secrets Toilet

ROTFL
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DustDevil
    • Dec 7th 2021

Chortle!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Treehorn
    • Dec 7th 2021

Posted By: ToiletWallPoet

I haven’t really listened to much he’s done since about 1991, it sounds different from what I’m used to but I didn’t mind it. I dunno about listening quite so critically, I enjoyed the tune a lot but I’m not marking his diploma.

As for missed notes etc, personally I’d rather have a slightly rough live take than a surgically produced perfect take. I love that the end of the solo on Let It Be has the bum note open B in it, for me the minor things make music human. Or it might just be a producer oversight, who knows.
    That song makes me think of Anything Goes.
    Posted By: Treehorn
    I haven’t really listened to much he’s done since about 1991, it sounds different from what I’m used to but I didn’t mind it. I dunno about listening quite so critically, I enjoyed the tune a lot but I’m not marking his diploma.

As for missed notes etc, personally I’d rather have a slightly rough live take than a surgically produced perfect take. I love that the end of the solo on Let It Be has the bum note open B in it, for me the minor things make music human. Or it might just be a producer oversight, who knows.

It's no different than anyone here who critiques everything from FOTW through PU.

That said, I'm not necessarily against some roughness and flubs, you can hear that on his Snakepit records for sure, but at that time he had great tone and used more gain, which not only masks flubs but can also just make them sound more natural. I mean, tell me that little descending pull-off lick at 2:52 doesn't sound weak with such a clean tone.

Now compare that to his tone in Snakepit (especially from 5:22 on):

Posted By: BillyBollocksI think the best thing you could do is contact his people and offer to teach him your guitar playing secrets Toilet

They say the same joke gets funnier the more you repeat it. Or, wait...

Some people just never grow up...
    I knew Slash was in Velvet Revolver. When did this Snakepit thing happen in the Slash timeline?
    Posted By: ToiletWallPoet for long bends like in Nov Rain, and he's often rushing the tempo on slower stuff like that, too..

If he's rushing November Rain, that's a good thing, right? :)
    Posted By: Alex LebanonI knew Slash was in Velvet Revolver. When did this Snakepit thing happen in the Slash timeline?

First album was 1995 while he was still in GNR, second album (totally different lineup) was in 2000.

Posted By: Alex Lebanon
    Posted By: ToiletWallPoetfor long bends like in Nov Rain, and he's often rushing the tempo on slower stuff like that, too..

If he's rushing November Rain, that's a good thing, right? :)

XD

The solo is the best part of the song though (and the outro).
    Posted By: BillyBollocksI think the best thing you could do is contact his people and offer to teach him your guitar playing secrets Toilet

They say the same joke gets funnier the more you repeat it. Or, wait...

Some people just never grow up...

Buckle up, people seem to like it

Could all go away with some examples of your own song writing genius as you’ve been asked to share before of course

First Iommi, now Slash being giving a riff making lecture :)
    Dude I honestly just feel bad for you that you're this obsessed with me. The cheapshots are just embarrassing. I offered up my own stuff, continuing to pretend like I didn't for this long is just pathetic.
    Posted By: ToiletWallPoet I offered up my own stuff, continuing to pretend like I didn't for this long is just pathetic.

I missed that, might wanna share it again? I'm curious and interested
    Posted By: ToiletWallPoetI offered up my own stuff, continuing to pretend like I didn't for this long is just pathetic.

Of course you did!

That’s why we’re all talking about how amazing it is

Feel free to share the link again for those that missed it
    • AC/DC rock music: rideon77
    • Dec 9th 2021

Sweet Child O' Mine on Morphine LOL. If you want to listen to a great Slash Album check out Ain't Life Grand
    •  
    • Dec 9th 2021 edited

Posted By: ToiletWallPoetDude I honestly just feel bad for you that you're this obsessed with me. The cheapshots are just embarrassing. I offered up my own stuff, continuing to pretend like I didn't for this long is just pathetic.

Grow a fucking sense of humor FFS.
    •  
    • Dec 9th 2021 edited

Posted By: TreehornNever particularly kept up with Slash’s career, but I saw the (enormous AC/DC fan and always inspiring) Peter Dankelson cover this yesterday.

Quite an earworm, I love it. Feels like a cousin of Sweet Child O’Mine and streets ahead of what passed for ‘new GnR material’ a couple of months back.

He gets his money’s worth out of the main riff but it works for me.

The verse is a prime example of Schlager Rock.
    Posted By: RoccoThe verse is a prime example of Schlager Rock.

Yes, I could even picture Adele singing the verse.
    •  
    • Dec 9th 2021

Posted By: mutt_langes_perm

This guy would be a better fit:

Just to give you an idea: Right now this is Austria's most famous "singer". He's very popular in Germany too. He even got a X-mess special on Austria's biggest TV-station last year. This is what it sounded like:

I swear, I'm not kidding.
    Posted By: matirocker
    Posted By: ToiletWallPoetI offered up my own stuff, continuing to pretend like I didn't for this long is just pathetic.

Yeah, give me an email to send it to or something (I don't see any DM system in here). For the record, here is my comment from that thread: "I actually do have a rough demo that would prove my point, but here's the thing; you (Billy) would never in your life have the dignity to admit I was right about anything. I could send you a never before heard outtake from the BIB sessions and you'd shit on it because you thought it was mine. So no, you won't get the satisfaction. If anyone else wants to hear it, someone who actually has dignity like Thankass, you're welcome to ask and I'll send it to you."

Nobody ever followed up on that.
    Posted By: rideon77Sweet Child O' Mine on Morphine LOL. If you want to listen to a great Slash Album check out Ain't Life Grand

This guy gets it. ALG would have been hailed as the sequel to AFD if it were a Guns album.

Posted By: RoccoGrow a fucking sense of humor FFS.

Please, this dude repeats the exact same thinly-veiled-insult-as-a-joke constantly, even on threads I haven't made a single post in. I make plenty of jokes on this forum. Here, have a receipt:

Posted By: InfernoDon't go too far into the weeds, people. Just enjoy the sweet, sweet smell of good, high energy rock n roll!

It smells like a gym bag!

Tell you what though, the only thing worse than somebody with no sense of humor is somebody who weaponizes humor to insult others without taking responsibility for it as insults. That's just cowardice.
    Posted By: mutt_langes_perm

The return of Schlager! I knew it was only a matter of time.
    I am not a big fan of GnR fan - AFD would only make the very lowest reaches of my top 100 albums of the 80s - but I do like it in small doses. Is Slash's stuff more in AFD stripped-down vein than that the double album they did afterwards? If so which album to try?
    Posted By: Alex LebanonI am not a big fan of GnR fan - AFD would only make the very lowest reaches of my top 100 albums of the 80s - but I do like it in small doses. Is Slash's stuff more in AFD stripped-down vein than that the double album they did afterwards? If so which album to try?

Interesting. Yes, Slash's stuff is more stripped-down. If you like really raw bluesy southern rock, that's the first Snakepit album It's 5 O Clock Somewhere. If you like classic rock with a soulful singer who cites Marvin Gaye as an influence, that's Ain't Life Grand. His self-titled solo album has a different singer on every track and is a smorgasbord.

Yeah, give me an email to send it to or something (I don't see any DM system in here). For the record, here is my comment from that thread: "I actually do have a rough demo that would prove my point, but here's the thing; you (Billy) would never in your life have the dignity to admit I was right about anything. I could send you a never before heard outtake from the BIB sessions and you'd shit on it because you thought it was mine. So no, you won't get the satisfaction. If anyone else wants to hear it, someone who actually has dignity like Thankass, you're welcome to ask and I'll send it to you."

Cool. There's the "whisper" option here, I'll send you my email there

Use the whisper option and send me a stream link, Soundcloud/Bandcamp etc please

No point saying ‘you won’t say even if you do like it’ that’s you basically saying if someone thinks it shit they’re wrong and you’re right :)

Send me 10-20 and I’ll judge em like any other music
    • AC/DC rock music: flo9
    • Dec 10th 2021

I met this Gabalier guy from Austria on the Rock or Bust Tour. He's a big fan
    Still no whisper
    Posted By: flo9

Where can I buy a jacket like that?

Honestly, it's better than the Celine Dion version.
    Posted By: BillyBollocksUse the whisper option and send me a stream link, Soundcloud/Bandcamp etc please

No point saying ‘you won’t say even if you do like it’ that’s you basically saying if someone thinks it shit they’re wrong and you’re right :)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA keep trying to rewrite the words you've quoted above you, troll. XD

Not "if ANYONE thinks it's shit they’re wrong". Try "Billy in particular and nobody else - is not trustworthy to give an honest opinion and will say it's shit no matter what".

That you think I'd send it to you while you're STILL lying to my face about my own words is laughable.
    Posted By: BillyBollocksUse the whisper option and send me a stream link, Soundcloud/Bandcamp etc please

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA keep trying to rewrite the words you've quoted above you, troll. XD

Not "if ANYONE thinks it's shit they’re wrong". Try "Billy in particular and nobody else - is not trustworthy to give an honest opinion and will say it's shit no matter what".

That you think I'd send it to you while you're STILL lying to my face about my own words is laughable.

I fucking knew it!

Shithouse :)
    •  
    • Dec 11th 2021

Posted By: flo9

He’s even a bigger cunt.
    Share it Matirocker

We could all be missing out on the finest riffs of this century
    Posted By: BillyBollocksI fucking knew it!

Shithouse :)

Please do stew in it.
    Two people have now asked to hear your masterpieces as you requested they do

Two people still haven’t heard it

No further questions your honour

You don’t even play the guitar
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: angus1878
    • Dec 12th 2021