[ Sign In | Register ]

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Gaolbreak
    • Nov 7th 2021

Martin Popoff has written a shitload of books on various bands. In the past I had been tempted pick one up but viewing him as regular guest on this channel I find his take on music is a little "off" to me. Here he kicks off this episode with AC/DC's most ridiculed songs...

Interesting. I love Let’s Get It Up but definitely the moment the lyrics got a little lazy and self-parodic, Less double entendres and more single entendres.
    Well well well, look how the cookie crumbles. I have been telling you for years that direct penis statements in songs are not the way to go. Yet most of you have been telling me that even if Back In Black would have been called Big Black Cock, you would have considered It as good of an album/song if the music was there. It would not have been as huge with that name, would have tanked.

So see!? Too blatant penis innuendo is not the way.

Thank you!

Lets Get It Up is a master-piece musically but the lyrics drag It to the deepest corner of Hell. Same happens with Hard as a Yack and Let Me Put My Love Into You - among others.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Nov 7th 2021

Cover You In Oil is the worst offender in where a good groovy riff, is spoiled by the most embarrassing lyrics.
    The moon is rising and so am I is genius
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Janonen
    • Nov 7th 2021 edited

Old navel gazing grey men who never themselves wrote a decent song. I wouldn't care what they think about Let's Get It Up. Of course they wouldn't approve of it anymore.
    Posted By: MeanstreakOld navel gazing grey men who never themselves wrote a decent song.
    I don’t need to be a chef to distingush between bad and good meals. I consume them every day, same with music, hence I would like to believe I know a thing or 2 regardless.

Let’s get it up has great music, though I’ll consede he kinda has a point. Not really something that ever bothered me on that particular track. Ballbreaker on the other hand is juvenile trash, made supercreepy that it was conceived by grown men. If only their frame of mind had been aligned with recent output, alas.
    Fully agree, Ballbreaker lyrics are pure sht and trashy and nothing clever in them at all. At least let’s get it up try’s to hide it a bit.
    Posted By: WarMachine73Fully agree, Ballbreaker lyrics are pure sht and trashy and nothing clever in them at all. At least let’s get it up try’s to hide it a bit.

Hide what? The crotch is fully exposed on that one
    Nah, it’s about sailing. Angus said. They used to go down to Sydney harbour as kids and watch the yachts cum in the mouth of the harbour.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Goulash
    • Nov 7th 2021

It's easy to pick apart lyrics as being juvenile etc.
    Let's look at the demographic that most music is aimed at and it explains the popularity of a lot of genres such as rap. I have students who love to sing along to tuneless drivel about popping caps in asses or smoking fat blunts. I find it boring subject matter because I've matured beyond that. The young ones however think it's cool.
    Look at punk and the Sex Pistols. In the 1970's, as a 9 year old boy, I loved the song "Frigging in the Rigging". As a young man, I loved seeing Metallica play "So What", which I now find extremely distasteful.
    I personally take AC/DC songs as being pure escapism and not to be confused with the works of Shakespeare. There have been some excellent double entendre and euphemisms in the lyrics, the beauty of which is in the ear of the beholder.
    Look at Bon's lyrics and we tend to agree that they are pure genius. However, look at them from a different angle and you'd be forgiven for thinking that songs like "Big Balls", "Crabsody In Blue", "The Jack (live)" and "Night Prowler" are nothing short of peurile and "Whole Lotta Rosie" should be banned for being fat-shaming sexism. Me personally, as I say, I love AC/DC songs and if anyone else finds them unpalatable then fine... it's my band so they can fuck off and read some poncey poetry.
    • AC/DC rock music: St. Looy
    • Nov 7th 2021

After, and sometimes before, Bon's departure, the bands lyrics are re-writes of what they want to say.
    Those who enjoyed the series Bottom know full well that ANYTHING (other than "No") can be a double-entendre. There are many ways to mislead with a lyric, and sexual references are popular, especially with DC's reputation, so they go with it.
    Let's Get It Up is about the boys dumping all the baggage that their new found empire had put on their shoulders (most of the FTATR album is - the title track, Inject The Venom, Night Of The Long Knives...). "C'mon Ang - black widow". A black widow kills what fucked her... "Loose wires..." need cutting off. "Loose lips" need shutting up... etc.etc.
    Following the I Am The Walrus approach has more recently lead them to go even further and re-dress the intended lyric with anything that fits the line, making the finished lyric seem incomprehensable, just what they wanted. They get to laugh about the dig at someone, the victim doesn't have a clue, and nor do we. And given that English is a foreign language for a large section of their listeners, what does it matter?
    In an interview Mick Jagger was asked why, with such an outstanding lifestyle, with so many stories, doesn't he write songs about his life. His answer was "I do, it's just in code, and no-one knows the key except me"...
    Posted By: Badlands66I don’t need to be a chef to distingush between bad and good meals. I consume them every day, same with music, hence I would like to believe I know a thing or 2 regardless.

Whoa, get a load of this guy, he thinks he can criticize LEGENDARY artists!

For real though, lyrics aren't meant to be read. They're meant to be sung and with music behind them. The delivery is what makes lyrics work, and you're also limited in what you can do within the context of the song. I'm sure a lot of artists would like to get more wordy and lyrically impressive, but it would not work melodically.
    Posted By: ToiletWallPoet
    Posted By: Badlands66I don’t need to be a chef to distingush between bad and good meals. I consume them every day, same with music, hence I would like to believe I know a thing or 2 regardless.

Whoa, get a load of this guy, he thinks he can criticize LEGENDARY artists!

For real though, lyrics aren't meant to be read. They're meant to be sung and with music behind them. The delivery is what makes lyrics work, and you're also limited in what you can do within the context of the song. I'm sure a lot of artists would like to get more wordy and lyrically impressive, but it would not work melodically.

Ok, I’ll bite, though making bold claims would be more your department if memory serves, mr “I write better riffs than Iommi”

That would be your opinion, there are artists fully capable of penning good lyrics and make them fit within the framework of the song. The only limit is how astute you are at your craft. Springsteen, Bowie, Dylan, Tina Turner etc. all had this gift.
    Posted By: St. LooyIn an interview Mick Jagger was asked why, with such an outstanding lifestyle, with so many stories, doesn't he write songs about his life. His answer was "I do, it's just in code, and no-one knows the key except me"...

Exactly. Songs that make no sense suddenly do when you have that extra piece of information.
    There is just something pretty bonkers about deconstructing ACDC in this way, it just totally misses the point. What's more, if Let's Get It Up offends anyone then surely they would stop listening to the canon way before they reach FTATR
    Posted By: Badlands66Ok, I’ll bite, though making bold claims would be more your department if memory serves, mr “I write better riffs than Iommi”

That would be your opinion, there are artists fully capable of penning good lyrics and make them fit within the framework of the song. The only limit is how astute you are at your craft. Springsteen, Bowie, Dylan, Tina Turner etc. all had this gift.

I think you missed the sarcasm but way to go for the low hanging fruit.

You're missing the point; I didn't say artists can't write good lyrics, I said the medium of music is inherently more limiting than, say, novel writing.
    I would say both LHAARIM and SDWLTT are candidates.
    Posted By: Alex LebanonLHAARIM and SDWLTT are candidates.

These acronyms are doing my head in. Still can't figure them out.
    The guy is a blowhard bawbag.
    Its only rock n roll
    End of
    I really need to learn to watch the video before commenting. :P

The guy makes some great points. Initially, I thought it was just going to be about Let's Get It UP's lyrics. I didn't realiZe that he would also discussing that some songs can be ridiculed because of the music.

Having said that, what's so wrong with Cover You in Oil? It's a triple entendre (painting, massage, money shot).
    Posted By: Badlands66Ok, I’ll bite, though making bold claims would be more your department if memory serves, mr “I write better riffs than Iommi”

You're missing the point; I didn't say artists can't write good lyrics, I said the medium of music is inherently more limiting than, say, novel writing.

No, I just didn’t give a rats ass what you were trying to get across. Pretty sure everybody in here has had plenty of you already.

No, didn’t miss a point at all…..cause you have no point, sure it’s more limited than writing a book, everybody and their mother knows that. If you are good enough at your craft, you’ll both pen great stuff and deliver it masterfully in the track. Only thing is, precious few are that good.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DrBelford
    • Nov 9th 2021 edited

All of this discussion is beside the point by now.

ACDC's music is visceral, not cerebral.

Posted By: Badlands66Springsteen, Bowie, Dylan, Tina Turner

All fantastic artists, that I love, but I don't get from them what I get from ACDC.

Non of them are as "visceral" (as RNR) as ACDC is, no matter how great their lyrics might be.

The main point is the initial *intention*. Therefore these comparisons don't make sense in the first place.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Nov 9th 2021

Posted By: Badlands66

No, I just didn’t give a rats ass what you were trying to get across. Pretty sure everybody in here has had plenty of you already.

No, didn’t miss a point at all…..cause you have no point, sure it’s more limited than writing a book, everybody and their mother knows that. If you are good enough at your craft, you’ll both pen great stuff and deliver it masterfully in the track. Only thing is, precious few are that good.

You’re a gem Toilet: you even manage to make me agree with Badlands66 for once.
    Posted By: Badlands66No, I just didn’t give a rats ass what you were trying to get across. Pretty sure everybody in here has had plenty of you already.

LOL, you clearly did miss the point, it's okay to admit. Some of Bons lyrics would sound cringey outside the context of a song and without his delivery, if just read out loud as these guys are doing. Which is why I made that point; they're treating lyrics to songs as if they should hold up simply being spoken.

If I had no point, why did you so badly need to "set me straight"?
    Posted By: RoccoYou’re a gem Toilet: you even manage to make me agree with Badlands66 for once.

Finding out Bollockser didn't like Bruce Dickinson for being a Tory almost made me question being a progressive. XD
    At least Let’s Get It Up rocks, unlike the video in question. I guess Martin longs for those halcyon days of artistic subtly such as squealer.
    Posted By: ToiletWallPoet If I had no point, why did you so badly need to "set me straight"?
    Your reading comprehension clearly needs to be better, all the bollocks you posted clearly fits within the context of my previous post,

If it’s okay to admit, maybe you should go ahead then, eh? How abboutit Toilet? No? Why am I not surprised.

Badly need to set you straight? I retort and suddenly I “badly need to set you straight?”
    Try again, dumbass. Impress us more with how great you are, but unfortunately have zero evidence to show for it.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Janonen
    • Nov 10th 2021 edited

LOL, dude you're just embarrassing yourself now.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: youngjohn
    • Nov 11th 2021 edited

Not being ridiculed as such but the one I have seen coming under attack the most recently is Squealer. Which has some logic if you are trying too hard to find meaning in AC/DC songs but why would you? In most cases, that isn't the point. At the time of writing, it was a bunch of young lads singing about their few year's experience of girls, drink and rock'n'roll.

Going with Let's Get It Up, I doubt most casual fans even remember it these days.

For me, Hard As A Rock, Mistress For Christmas and Are You Ready should all be instrumentals.
    Posted By: ToiletWallPoetLOL, dude you're just embarrassing yourself now.

A one trick pony eh? You kinda know exactly how shit is gonna unfold after reading a couple of exchanges between you and others in here. Try a bit harder dipshit.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Badlands66
    • Nov 11th 2021 edited

Posted By: youngjohnFor me, Hard As A Rock, Mistress For Christmas and Are You Ready should all be instrumentals.

Hard As A Rock & Are You Ready are ruined by terrible lyrics, if only Y&Y had known their own limitations.

Posted By: Badlands66
    A one trick pony eh? You kinda know exactly how shit is gonna unfold after reading a couple of exchanges between you and others in here. Try a bit harder dipshit.

Man, you really can't take a joke. Everything you've said has amounted to "No shit, I agree". A normal person wouldn't go on a rant full of expletives like you just did for what you admit was no reason because I "had no point".
    I hate to sound like your mom, but do you guys think Bon would want y’all fighting like this on a board dedicated to his band? Do you think Brian would wanna buy two guys bickering like old men a pint at the pub?
    Posted By: ForThoseAboutToPostI hate to sound like your mom, but do you guys think Bon would want y’all fighting like this on a board dedicated to his band? Do you think Brian would wanna buy two guys bickering like old men a pint at the pub?

Bon would probably just have had a laugh about it.
    Cmon guys - be nice.

Bon Jovi has a song: Have a Nice Day
    Posted By: CliffFINmark2Cmon guys - be nice.

Bon Jovi has a song: Have a Nice Day

But surely the appalling BJ having a song about being nice = a compelling reason NOT to be nice - that's like getting parenting advice from a convicted pedophile.