[ Sign In | Register ]

•  
      AC/DC rock music: DrBelford
    • Nov 3rd 2021 edited

Everyone is obviously entitled to have an opinion.

I really like BB. I really like BUYV.

But it's a scientific fact, that ShootToThrill ALONE crushes everything on those albums, easily. :)

From the intro of HB to the final notes of RnR Ain't Noise Pollution ... You'd wish there'd be something of that level on BUYV or BB etc.

I heard Moneytalks and the TRE album before anything else. But my first time listening to BIB (which I still remember quite vividly) is what turned me into a life-long fan.
    Doesn’t shoot to thrill crush anything on powerage though?
    •  
    • Nov 3rd 2021

Posted By: WarMachine73Doesn’t shoot to thrill crush anything on powerage though?

In terms of energy? Yes, no contest :)

Powerage still remains my favorite though :)
    If I look at the songs individually, BIB probably beats most albums but the sum of the parts is greater on Powerage.
    •  
    • Nov 3rd 2021

Posted By: WarMachine73If I look at the songs individually, BIB probably beats most albums but the sum of the parts is greater on Powerage.

Very well said. Wholeheartedly agree.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Aidenc
    • Nov 3rd 2021

Posted By: BillyBollocksThis is the perfect advert for not doing drugs in your youth

You are too funny.
    Well, I've never done drugs. Not even tried pot. Although I use to drink a good bit but not so much anymore.
    Demon Fire wrote:
    "I think the songs on BallBreaker and Blow Up Your Video are better written than the songs on Back In Black."

That's quite the statement. I know that I'll never be able to surpass it, but I'll keep trying.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Badlands66
    • Nov 4th 2021 edited

Love Bomb, Honey Roll & Cover U in Oil are actually better than Shoot to Thrill? Shit, I must have been hearing it wrong all these years. Silly me.
    Posted By: DrBelford
    Posted By: WarMachine73Doesn’t shoot to thrill crush anything on powerage though?

Strongly disagree. Riff Raff has energy to burn. And WAY more powerful lyrics.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Nov 4th 2021

BiB is a bit more of an artificially made great album that is enormously helped by sonic perfection, Mutt and an outstanding Brian.

Powerage doesn't need all that to be great.
    It's a great album by itself.
    Two great albums but Back in Black is my choice.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Nov 4th 2021

No way.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: youngjohn
    • Nov 4th 2021

Powerage then Back in Black.

Narrow margins but I'd also hate it if one of them didn't exist. definitely my top two albums by anyone.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: SHOO23L
    • Nov 4th 2021

Posted By: ThankassBiB is a bit more of an artificially made great album that is enormously helped by sonic perfection, Mutt and an outstanding Brian.

Back In Black's songs with Powerage's production (whose earthy production sounds like a good demo, really) would still bring Back In Black out on top.
    RNR Damnation, Gimme A Bullet, Up To My Neck In You, Kicked In The Teeth... all of those songs, which work in context of the other songs on Powerage, would sound like mere filler on Back In Black.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Nov 4th 2021

Posted By: SHOO23LI think completely the other way round. If you strip down the production on BIB songs they will be half as good an experience. Mutt defenitly brought BIB to live. Think of HB with PA sound or even BB sound. If would be an ok song.
    I think completely the other way round. If you strip down the production on BIB songs they will be half as good an experience. Mutt defenitly brought BIB to live. Think of HB with PA sound or even BB sound. If would be an ok song.
    •  
    • Nov 4th 2021 edited

Posted By: SHOO23L
    Posted By: ThankassBiB is a bit more of an artificially made great album that is enormously helped by sonic perfection, Mutt and an outstanding Brian.

Back In Black's songs with Powerage's production (whose earthy production sounds like a good demo, really) would still bring Back In Black out on top.
    RNR Damnation, Gimme A Bullet, Up To My Neck In You, Kicked In The Teeth... all of those songs, which work in context of the other songs on Powerage, would sound like mere filler on Back In Black.

Maybe the Powerage songs wouldn’t work on BiB, but then none of the BiB songs would fit on Powerage either. None would be filler though, would song out of context, that’s all.
    Besides, I wouldn’t want Mutt Lange anywhere near a Powerage song.

Don't really follow your logic. If RNR Damnation, Gimme A Bullet, Up To My Neck In You, Kicked In The Teeth are "mere filler" (they're not IMHO) then surely by that reckoning so are GTDAB, SAL, LMPMLIY and HADOM? And I'd take th PA "filler" over the BIB "filler" any day of the week.

I don't want "sonic perfection" in a rock n roll record.
    Why do I have to pick one? They are both spectacular! Enjoy them both.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: SHOO23L
    • Nov 5th 2021

Posted By: Alex Lebanon

Don't really follow your logic. If RNR Damnation, Gimme A Bullet, Up To My Neck In You, Kicked In The Teeth are "mere filler" (they're not IMHO) then surely by that reckoning so are GTDAB, SAL, LMPMLIY and HADOM? And I'd take th PA "filler" over the BIB "filler" any day of the week.

They're not filler on Powerage. They would be on Back In Black.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: youngjohn
    • Nov 5th 2021

I think I do follow the logic here. Even as someone who prefers Powerage. Powerage tells a story and those songs are intrinsic to the story. It's the total being stronger than the sum of its parts.

I actually think Back In Black tells a good story too but the parts = the sum.

It really is an evil, evil choice to be asked to make. And people complain about all the albums sounding the same:-(. Grrr!
    • AC/DC rock music: DPB
    • Nov 5th 2021

POWERAGE !
    •  
    • Nov 5th 2021

No they wouldn't.
    Powerage is a remarkable album in it's whole, but even singularly, each song is a masterpiece. Powerage as an album and individually is AC/DC at it's roughest and most naked, and yet at it's classiest as well.
    •  
    • Nov 5th 2021 edited

Well, there's no question PA always wins in the lyrics department. I still think STT is an exhilarating experience in terms of energy levels, which of course
    has a lot to do with production / song structure etc., but is rarely if ever surpassed in the whole catalogue.

If I'd go for purist energetic ACDC, I'd go with LTBR anyway :)

Powerage is simply their most well-rounded and sophisticated effort, but it feels a *little* more laid back overall and that's what I love about it.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Nov 5th 2021

I love Riff Raff but the lyrics don't make much sense to me.
    Me neither
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Aidenc
    • Nov 6th 2021

It's gotta be Powerage for me. Perfect example of what an album should be. However, the more I listen to Back in Black, the slightest bit more I'm convinced that it's better than Powerage. Any of you have that problem?
    I love both albums but Powerage is a better album in my humble opinion. It is a more versatile and rounded album. Powerage has great Bluesy Rock songs, Hard Rock songs and better lyrics. Powerage to me is a Bluesy Hard Rock album where as Back In Black is straight up Hard Rock which is great but I love the fact that Powerage is overall a more versatile Bluesy Hard Rock album.

Also, I'd put Let There Be Rock just ahead of both Powerage & Back In Black. My top three in order are LTBR, Powerage, BIB. Then probably Highway To Hell, TNT, Dirty Deeds and Flick.
    Back In Black because it’s the greatest album of all time and I can put it on and it will kick my ass no matter what sort of mood I might be in.

Powerage is better, objectively, but it has some sequencing issues, gets a bit bogged down after a kick ass start, and the last track is a throwaway that pisses all over the absolute barn burner that precedes it.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DustDevil
    • Nov 6th 2021

Posted By: ForThoseAboutToPost...and the last track is a throwaway that pisses all over the absolute barn burner that precedes it.

BLASPHEMY!
    Posted By: DustDevil
    Posted By: ForThoseAboutToPost...and the last track is a throwaway that pisses all over the absolute barn burner that precedes it.

BLASPHEMY!

Nah. It’s a cheap rewrite of Rosie. If they’d ended the album with Up To My Neck In You it would have been a master stroke ala RNRANP.
    LTBR
    Back in Powerage
    • AC/DC rock music: Ron
    • Nov 8th 2021

Back in Black. A completely perfect album.
    Powerage, over the past 40 years listened to it more, so gets the nod on that basis.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: SnakeEye
    • Nov 19th 2021

Back In Black fairly easily for me.