[ Sign In | Register ]

Yeah Yeah - I know; I post about KISS. Slaughter me!

Always liked em, expect the way over the top cheesy 80ties stuff: Read My Body and Lets Put The X is Sex - geez!

But the silliest state is right now, to proof It there was a in ear monitor feed leak from the Japan 2019 show. You can hear Lip-synced vocals, some musical director counting and guiding (wait, wait, wait, 1-2-3 drums!) and some horrific live vocals.

Love em or hate em, It is really interesting

Thoughts? Billy? Mati? Moose? Goulash? :——)
    Jokers
    Oh Yeah and there is a click track for drums too
    They've always been rather fake in recent years more-so than ever.

It's always been about the experience with them I guess. I certainly still wouldn't turn down the chance to see them 'live' as I haven't yet, haha.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Meanstreak
    • Oct 24th 2021 edited

I think many big productions work with in-ear clicks like that. Not fake singing, but clicks. Mickey Dee seemed to say that Scorpions has a show were you do like that. You couldn't take breaks betweem the song as you wished because everything was set according to a planned schedule, probably the lights as well.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Oct 24th 2021

Posted By: MeanstreakI think many big productions work with in-ear clicks like that. Not fake singing, but clicks. Mickey Dee seemed to say that Scorpions has a show were you do like that. You couldn't take breaks betweem the song as you wished because everything was set according to a planned schedule, probably the lights as well.

Yeah, this kind of stuff has become more and more common practice over the years. While I think it is ok for a pop show I find it rather irritating for a rock'n'roll show. If you can't cut it on stage without clicktracks and a musical director giving indications and cues get back and rehearse properly. I guess this is another reason why I hate those big shows. It's all rather fake. I really wish if AC/DC go out live again that they tone the whole blow-ups and fireworks thing a bit down and get back to a more basic thing. Like they did with those 2003 shows. The bell and the cannons are sufficient. As I've said before I'd rather have them play a few shows in much smaller and intimate venues that get streamed live for all those who can't get tickets than another round of stadium shows.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jet1984
    • Oct 24th 2021

"hands up wait for count off"...jesus, worse than I thought.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: matirocker
    • Oct 25th 2021 edited

Well, I'm not listening to 2 hours of that, but from the looks of it, I don't see what's wrong with it, except with the pre-recorded vocals to lip sync, of course. You're kidding yourselves if you think there's not a guy in an AC/DC show going "pyro in 3,2,1..." or something like that and for every little detail of the show.

A lot of bands use pre recorded tracks, not necessarily to lip sync, but maybe just some keys or effects in the background, and if you use that, the drummer HAS to play to a click track, otherwise you wouldn't be able to sync the pre recorded tracks to what the band is playing live. A lot of drummers also probably use click tracks just for the sake of sounding consistent and having the song be in exactly the desired tempo they want to.

The logistics of putting together such a huge spectacle like a Kiss concert is, definitely needs organization like this, lip sync or not.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Oct 25th 2021

I'm not taking the huge spectacle thing as an excuse. Back in the '90s I know that Michael Jackson and Madonna lip-synced, and the excuse was that they couldn't do the full dance routine and sing at the same time. Don't dance then!

Put the pre-recorded visuals on the video screen, and let me hear you sing and play live!
    The click track is there to sync the backin vocals

And Yes Mati you are correct - there is a producer for all Big shows, but to think that there is some guy telling them instructions to songs with no pyro that they have done live a gazillion times is an Eye opener for me

Also listen to Paul instro vocals to Black Diamond without Lip sync on that one and geez after that I am almost ready to accept lipsync to him
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Goulash
    • Oct 25th 2021

I listened to most of it and I didn't mind the click track and production instructions.
    Listening to the live vocals, the recording would have been more palatable if all Paul's vocals had been pre-recorded. I went to see Kiss in Budapest during a day off on the BI tour (long story). I was shocked and gutted at how appalling Paul's vocals were that night and the lip synching has been added since then. It's a shame because I saw Paul play the lead role in The Phantom Of The Opera in Toronto in 1999 and to say he sounded phenomenal would be an understatement.
    I would say that Gene's vocals didn't sound too good in places on this recording.
    If I'm listening to a live album then touch ups don't bother me but if I'm paying to see a band live then I want to hear them live, not just see them.
    If they can't cut the mustard then I'll save my pennies.
    Goulash - great point, Gene usually is still pretty much spot on with his vocals but this was a rough night to him too.

I think Paul peaked in the early 90'ties and was 100% until 2002-2003ish and then the downhill started, he was still on his game on 2010'ish.

Musically cutting the mustard has been ok, what they should do in my mind is limit Pauls songs in the set to five, increase Genes singing, put an extra song to Eric and get Ace back and give him a few songs: Shock Me, New York Groove and Rip It Out for example.

And yes! I also pay to see the band in its honest shape, faults and everything. Rough edges make the pie.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Oct 25th 2021

Posted By: CliffFINmark2Goulash - great point, Gene usually is still pretty much spot on with his vocals but this was a rough night to him too.

I think Paul peaked in the early 90'ties and was 100% until 2002-2003ish and then the downhill started, he was still on his game on 2010'ish.

Musically cutting the mustard has been ok, what they should do in my mind is limit Pauls songs in the set to five, increase Genes singing, put an extra song to Eric and get Ace back and give him a few songs: Shock Me, New York Groove and Rip It Out for example.

And yes! I also pay to see the band in its honest shape, faults and everything. Rough edges make the pie.

Better still, Paul should graciously accept that Father Time has not been kind on his voice, and they should become a five piece, with a dedicated vocalist on the mic only.
    Can you spot pre-recorded vocals in that recording?
    The canned vocals are bullshit, but it's highly likely that our boys and every other stadium act use click tracks in the same exact way
    •  
    • Oct 25th 2021

Posted By: hirtlocker128The canned vocals are bullshit, but it's highly likely that our boys and every other stadium act use click tracks in the same exact way

If you listen to bootlegs from the BI tour there was a significant difference in speed of songs during different legs of the tour. Not saying that it's not possible but I doubt they did with Phil at least.
    • AC/DC rock music: St. Looy
    • Oct 25th 2021

Phil's his own Boom-Thwack track.
    True! Remember the train-wreck tempo in the Grammy awards for Highway to Hell; somebody pushed a wrong button was the reason right? Jack Slade maybe pointed this out and maybe pointed to his dad, cant remember
    Posted By: CliffFINmark2
    And Yes Mati you are correct - there is a producer for all Big shows, but to think that there is some guy telling them instructions to songs with no pyro that they have done live a gazillion times is an Eye opener for me

I don't think it's a matter of the band needing to be told what to do, it's just a reminder so they get everything right. It's a huge show and they take no chances. Similar to how most singers use a teleprompter in case they forget the lyrics.
    Greatest click track ever Oh thats Phil Rudd

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Edo02
    • Oct 26th 2021

Posted By: CliffFINmark2True! Remember the train-wreck tempo in the Grammy awards for Highway to Hell; somebody pushed a wrong button was the reason right? Jack Slade maybe pointed this out and maybe pointed to his dad, cant remember

HTH was slower than usual because the Grammys told them to omit a whole verse for time constraints so they responded by performing it in a slower tempo
    Posted By: Edo02
    Posted By: CliffFINmark2True! Remember the train-wreck tempo in the Grammy awards for Highway to Hell; somebody pushed a wrong button was the reason right? Jack Slade maybe pointed this out and maybe pointed to his dad, cant remember

HTH was slower than usual because the Grammys told them to omit a whole verse for time constraints so they responded by performing it in a slower tempo

I really have the feeling that It was not the desired outcome. I am pretty sure that Jack raised this issue. It didnt sound too good, the band did but the tempo dragged way too much
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Oct 26th 2021

I really have the feeling that It was not the desired outcome. I am pretty sure that Jack raised this issue. It sounded horrible

I think it was a case of Angus starting the song a bit too fast and then Chris had to slow it down to match the desired tempo. But that’s just my guess.
    Posted By: Rocco

I really have the feeling that It was not the desired outcome. I am pretty sure that Jack raised this issue. It sounded horrible

I think it was a case of Angus starting the song a bit too fast and then Chris had to slow it down to match the desired tempo. But that’s just my guess.

Now I might be totally off but I think Jack said that they had some light (?!) on par with the desired tempo pre programmed somewhere visible to Chris and that was off. I struggle to think that they wanted that tempo, rather do the normal tempo and add a bit of that trademark Angus at the end

Source: My friend who plays tennis with Phil Rudd's niece
    Posted By: matirocker

Oh say Hi to her/him!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Edo02
    • Oct 27th 2021

Posted By: matirocker

Hahaha yeah i don't remember where i heard that
    I saw KISS live in june 1997 at Olympic stadium in Stockholm. I do like many old songs, and i am glad that i was there when Frehley and Criss were there. Not a super concert, but the crowd was amazing.
    I had a search around for other bands - U2 have a lot of assistance

• AC/DC rock music: St. Looy
    • Oct 28th 2021

If DC have, do, or will, use anything like this I'll open a vein.
    Learn the songs, play them, have a competent crew. If the big stage and toys are too scary - don't use them. Play live Rock'n'Roll instead, and live or die by your talents everynight.
    Seems the last people scared of a rock band are the members of the band.
    •  
    • Oct 29th 2021

I think you can tell by the little fuck ups on the last 2 tours that they don't use that kinda stuff.
    Posted By: Jet1984I think you can tell by the little fuck ups on the last 2 tours that they don't use that kinda stuff.
    It is entirely possible to screw up even with such stuff.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: matirocker
    • Oct 29th 2021 edited

Angus doesn't even use in ears. And given the long spaces between songs sometimes, its very safe to say AC/DC don't do this. It's the crew by themselves who time all the effects and screens and pyro, etc
    Posted By: matirockerAngus doesn't even use in ears. And given the long spaces between songs sometimes, its very safe to say AC/DC don't do this. It's the crew by themselves who time all the effects and screens and pyro, etc

Good on them not having the performance that monitored in detail.