[ Sign In | Register ]

• AC/DC rock music: St. Looy
    • Oct 21st 2021

Inspired by Billybollocks question regarding listening format preferences, I did start to wonder...
    The international post and import shit has really dampened the topic (along with ridiculous starting prices), so who is still prepared to collect, or at least try to?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Kamikaze
    • Oct 21st 2021 edited

I am still trying to add to and expand my vinyl collection.
    But the postage costs sometimes prevent the purchase because they are sometimes simply too high and make the whole thing unprofitable.
    But sometimes you are also lucky, a few days ago I bought a Marcus Hook Roll Band US pressing for 12 euros ....
    I buy records every week, mainly new releases but something old/rare every now and again

Truth is, I’d much rather buy a couple of new albums than another version of an album or single I already own

Got to keep feeding yourself with new sounds IMHO
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Oct 21st 2021

Have never been a collector. Got some pretty cool stuff (mainly 7”, 10”, 12” picture discs and tour merch) but only things I picked up along the way.
    I still pick up vinyl occasionally.
    For the last album not so much, only the CD and a couple of colours of vinyl. I even passed on the RSD 12" since I already owned the songs. For other bands I like to have the albums on vinyl and CD but I prefer to buy them in used records stores than ordering it from Discogs. New albums you have to pre-order to even have a chance to get them physically.
    Since lockdown started Ive bought a shitload of vinyl. Cds i still buy second hand cause they are so cheap
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: SnakeEye
    • Oct 22nd 2021

I tend to purchase at least one album a week.
    As for getting every variant of a release, I only really have done that with PWRUP.
    • AC/DC rock music: Nachos73
    • Oct 22nd 2021

I haven't bought any vinyl or Cds since pwrup either..I'll get CD occasionally if a copy I have gets messed up. Was trying to get some older acdc vinyl...but its gotten too rich for my blood these days.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: 7seven
    • Oct 22nd 2021 edited

Of course i've got every Ac/Dc CD (albums, not singles), but that's not collecting ;-)

Except '74 Jailbreak (already all songs on the aussie LP's), Iron man 2 (same here, all songs on other LP's) & LARP i've got also every Ac/Dc LP.

I don't collect '7, if i buy vinyl, i want to listen to it and a '7 is way to short for my likeing if you know what i mean.

From every Brian era album i've only got 1 copy. Except PWRUP (red/yellow/picture, damn the hype got me..)
    There is also only 1 copy of IYWBYGI (sadly not the splatter ;-) )

I got the aussie LP's (all 2nd press 'till LTBR) and the international LP's of the Bon era.

So i only collected some Powerage Lp's (UK 9 Track a.k.a. porky prime cut, the European 10 track, the red one, and the normal international release)
    and the HTH (aussie cover with flames, the yellow/orange one, the normal internation release and the Joker one with the mirrored poster)

Beside that it makes really no sense to me to buy (for example) FOTS first press, second press, remasterd press and whatever, cause the songs remain the same.

Also i'm really music addicted, so i've a lot of other CD's and Lp's in my stereo or on my turntable, so collecting every '7 or different presses would make me bankrupt in less than a week :-)

And as you mentiones St Looy, it's way to expensive these days to collect.
    Not only post and import, since the vinyl has this big revival, the increased prices are insane
    I want the Razors Edge Minidisc - help:)
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Toast
    • Oct 22nd 2021

Posted By: CliffFINmark2I want the Razors Edge Minidisc - help:)

What about an inflatable Chris Slade cartoon head? Coupled with real steel cast tools so you too can build the very finest sheds
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Goulash
    • Oct 22nd 2021

Me too.
    Posted By: Goulash

Me too.

Dang - there just isnt a trace! Just got my The Clash minidisc collection done. But TRE is impossible to find, the last action hero soundtrack is out there feat Big Gun of course.

And Toast - if you have any, I will buy! Also a Brian Johnson hat. I have a vision of wearing one and sitting in a pub.
    • AC/DC rock music: nimeta
    • Oct 22nd 2021

This year I more or less got the entire NZ + AUs cassette collection of albums.

Kinda cheap and works of art.

I have no way to play them however. At Christmas I will pop round to Ghoulashes house to listen to them ;)
    • Oct 23rd 2021

I'm a litlle surprised there aren't more of us. I can understand those who say they'd rather listen to more varied music than keep buying the same thing over and over, but that's the collecting I'm talking about.
    While prices for those things we all want continue to rise, though mostly those prices are way ahead of the "market", there are more and more things whose buying price has plumeted. Most picture sleeve singles can be bought in bundles of 4 or more for under a fiver each for example. Most international pressings of anything, LP, single or CD, have also lost there appeal, because the internet has allowed them to become common (Spanish black sleeved FTATR for example - although a little more interst in those with the innersleeve). Now importing stuff has become so expensive I'd like to think the interest in foreign releases being sold within a different market will pick-up - ie Australian pressings sold within the EU or US. But from what I read here I get the feeling that us hardy folk who press on are about to join locomotive and car license plate numbers collectors of yore.
    I still enjoy the fun of turning up something, either unkown to me, or in better condition than what I have. Rather than spend a thousand euros on that "must have", I get more pleasure out of 20 smaller purchases (like Kamikaze's Marcus Hook LP and nimeta's cassettes). The "coooo" factor is the kick :-). I guess I average around 2 purchases a month in summer, and maybe 4 or 5 in winter, depending on what's on offer. The lack of record fairs has cooled the two or three spikes a year inbetween those figures.
    In the last few weeks it's been: UK Big Gun 7" with no labels, HTH German LP with offset printed cover, the German TTM 7" with Live Wire printed on the front cover, an upgrade for my German 10-track Powerage with faded Riff Raff, the (new to my knowledge) absolute first 10-track German Powerage which appears to have been issued before the end of 1978, and yesterday an Oz 77 pressing of HV with three labels stacked up on side one.
    All floated my boat :-)
    I collect the vinyl, 12" singles, bootlegs and the 7"singles.
    But AC/DC stuff is expensive
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Goulash
    • Oct 23rd 2021

Posted By: nimetaThis year I more or less got the entire NZ + AUs cassette collection of albums.

Kinda cheap and works of art.

I have no way to play them however. At Christmas I will pop round to Ghoulashes house to listen to them ;)

I look forward to it :-)
    I need to get a tape machine to play the Back In Black reel to reel tape that I picked up recently. I wouldn't mind the full set of reel to reels but will probably settle for just the one, unless I can get them at bargain prices.
    I know the responses on here seem to indicate a slow down in collecting hard copies but we're just one aspect of the AC/DC collecting world and there are still plenty of big spenders with deep pockets out there.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Kamikaze
    • Oct 23rd 2021

Posted By: St. LooyI'm a litlle surprised there aren't more of us. I can understand those who say they'd rather listen to more varied music than keep buying the same thing over and over, but that's the collecting I'm talking about.

That's how I see it too.
    I now have 300 LPs from 44 countries.

Posted By: St. LooyI get more pleasure out of 20 smaller purchases (like Kamikaze's Marcus Hook LP and nimeta's cassettes).

In the meantime I have received it and it is in a slightly better condition than the one I already had.
    Hey, does anyone need a Marcus Hook LP?
    I have a few more LPs that I have twice, if someone wanna trade.....
    • Oct 23rd 2021

I've got the MHRB US (still need the original Oz though) but send me a whisper, I've got quite a few doubles too.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DustDevil
    • Oct 23rd 2021

Posted By: St. LooyInspired by Billybollocks question regarding listening format preferences, I did start to wonder...
    The international post and import shit has really dampened the topic (along with ridiculous starting prices), so who is still prepared to collect, or at least try to?

This international post/import thing is blown out of proportion, it's really not that bad. I've bought vinyl from the US, NZ and Australia this past few months with no bother and perfectly reasonable costs.
    • Oct 24th 2021 edited

I guess it depends where you are?
    Here in Germany the system is now automated to insure that DHL get maximum profit. I buy an album in the US that costs me 20 euros. Then I have to pay the upgraded price of 20 euros tracked postage because normal post can just disappear (bad service = sell a premium service). Customs want 19% of the total including the higher postage rate, and the post are responsible for collecting it. They charge 6 euros for this "service". With import charges now levied on goods from value 1 euro (previously 22 euros), it means ALL packages will be held for the 6 euros charge regardless of value. Then you need proof of contents value to collect it and pay. If you don't have proof, as far as I know, you can't recieve your packet. After seven days it'll be returned at senders cost, or destroyed.
    20+20+3.60+6 and a drive into town to join the queue. And that's for cheap stuff...
    Marking it as a gift doesn't help either. You pay to collect first, then have to make a claim to get your money back from Customs. Under these conditions you can imagine how long you'll be waiting for that, and what you'll have to go through.
    I send records from the UK to the EU weekly and it’s fucking carnage at times since the EU VAT law came into effect
    • AC/DC rock music: nimeta
    • Oct 24th 2021

I have more or less stopped...not sure it is because my collection is pretty complete anyway or because prices rose so much or because I am investing in other shit

However my cheap as hell Aus/NZ cassettes are like treasures to behold so I am still in the market...just very little of interest tase days

That said, someone picked up a splatter for Euro 1000 recently (see other thread) so all is not lost. But for sure the world has changed and its less interesting for those off us addicted to the black crack.

I also more or less stopped buying Japanese Whisky for similar reasons by the way !!
    • Oct 25th 2021

Black crack!! Love it! There's a man who understands:
    You know what I'm talkin' about - ooh yeah!