[ Sign In | Register ]

I'm looking to upgrade the pickups in my SGs and I wanted to ask you all which brand of t tops are best to achieve the Angus tone. I hear good things about the solodallas ones, but they are really expensive. Which ones would you guys recommend?
    • AC/DC rock music: Sellen
    • Sep 27th 2021

D.Allan Powerage Pickup and Manlius T-Top I heard good things about
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Treehorn
    • Sep 27th 2021

Thread below helped me a lot last year when I was in a similar position.

I went for Manlius in the end, roughly half the price of Solodallas although being in the UK the postage and import duty added some cost (wasn’t too painful).

Manlius do a dirtier T-Top called the Vinyl I think, I’d be interested to hear the difference but I’m very happy with my standard model.

https://www.acdcfans...
    You have to ask yourself, what Angus Tone are you going for? 70’s, 80’s, 90’s, studio, live…?

Pop in powerage and listen to LARP. Which one is more appealing to your build? There are a number of options for the earlier sound, you are on the right track with the T Tops. Angus has also run a number of 57 classics. For that live sound post SUP, you have to go the Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates. I have 3 set ups for Angus Tone, each do a great job, but they are not all the same
    • AC/DC rock music: Pancake81
    • Sep 29th 2021 edited

They all have their place. Enjoy the build and keep us posted!

90-F2-D790-C518-4-A13-882-D-0-A191-F2-CBAF7

802-D6-D51-34-A3-4-C7-D-9764-E5-E10825-E7-EF

0-DDDB541-A513-4877-B74-C-DB31583-FD0-CA

91-CD0-E65-8-CBF-4-F02-B88-C-CFF02337-FCD9
    I own a few Guitars but dont know anything about pickups really. I own two Paul Stanley signature models

But here are a few pick up lines;
    - That is quite real looking for a wig
    - What brand washing machine do you have
    - Hey! We went to Summer camp together

You can freely utilize these, no fees. Good luck mi’sons
    I have Brandonwound T-Tops and they have been great. It's a pretty dead simple pickup so I don't think you can really go wrong.

Posted By: Pancake81You have to ask yourself, what Angus Tone are you going for? 70’s, 80’s, 90’s, studio, live…?

Pop in powerage and listen to LARP. Which one is more appealing to your build? There are a number of options for the earlier sound, you are on the right track with the T Tops. Angus has also run a number of 57 classics. For that live sound post SUP, you have to go the Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates. I have 3 set ups for Angus Tone, each do a great job, but they are not all the same

When did Ang use '57 Classics?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Moh
    • Sep 30th 2021

Posted By: Pancake81They all have their place. Enjoy the build and keep us posted!

What a great trio of SGs! Which one is your favourite and why?

I got the David Allen Powerage pickups in my 61 reissue und they made sound her more "vintage". I think for the 70's and most of 80's AC/DC they are a good choice. It depends more on the amp you're using IMO, but a pair of good pickups can be a useful upgrade.
    • AC/DC rock music: Pancake81
    • Oct 1st 2021 edited

Posted By: Moh
    Posted By: Pancake81They all have their place. Enjoy the build and keep us posted!

What a great trio of SGs! Which one is your favourite and why?

I got the David Allen Powerage pickups in my 61 reissue und they made sound her more "vintage". I think for the 70's and most of 80's AC/DC they are a good choice. It depends more on the amp you're using IMO, but a pair of good pickups can be a useful upgrade.

Hey thanks man, these are my dream SG’s. Being an absolute Angus and ACDC gear head I always wanted his iconic guitars. Of course angus has played so many on stage over the years, but the three that struck so pure to me where a red early 60’s SG, the Custom that was refinished in black and reduced to two humbuckers (most notably made famous by the Robert Ellis photo from the Apollo gig) and of course his 1970 original that was re necked with the lightening bolts by John Diggins.

I love them all for different reasons. 61 is the most sentimental from a meeting with the boys, the Custom is the easiest to play and sounds fantastic and the Custom shop is an exact replica of my dream guitar. If there was a fire and I could only save one…? I would save them all and deal with the burns in the ICU lol
    I have heard great things in the Davis Allen Powerage pickups. I trust you are happy with them
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Moh
    • Oct 2nd 2021

Posted By: Pancake81I would save them all and deal with the burns in the ICU lol

Man, I believe you! That's so awesome because if I had to choose those three were my favourites, too. Meeting with the boys and get their signatures on a guitar is the icing on the cake. Take a good care of em!

Posted By: Pancake81I have heard great things in the Davis Allen Powerage pickups. I trust you are happy with them

I really am. Works pretty good with other styles, too. A comparison to the Solodallas ones would be interesting.