[ Sign In | Register ]

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Aidenc
    • Sep 26th 2021

On this day in 1995, the album Ballbreaker was released. Shit talk it if you want, but still, it's Ballbreaker's birthday.
    No shit talk from me about BallBreaker. I love it and think it's the best album ever. That's my opinion though.
    Ballbreaker rocks. If any album lacks political correctness, it is the mighty Ballbreaker. The band was on all cylinders during that tour.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Sep 27th 2021 edited

It was the cleanest tone since, well ages. Maybe cleanest ever. And although i instantly liked the tone and groove on songs like HAAR, CWYPD and CYIO, the whole album was a bit of a let down, energy wise, compared to TRE. No real barnstormer (title track comes close) or epic runs up and down the fretboard by Angus.

Some good songs though, but due to the uber dry drums and clean guitar tones, they screamed for some extra balls. Some oomph. Brian's declining voice, for the first time without the tons of reverb, couldn't carry the songs anymore. It even started to annoy on some songs imo. All reasons for them to sound old for the first time.

They were completely out of sync with the then popular sounds in rock music.
    The advantage they had was that they were on the brink of becoming rock dinosaurs after their commercial comeback with TRE. A form of general respect and credits by the music scene was therefor given. Their cartoonish character started from then on but was given a pass. But if BB was released after BUYV, it could have been a totally different story for their career.

26 years ago but i can still remember the release day like it was yesterday. Maybe it's time to give it a spin again today.
    Posted By: ThankassMaybe it's time to give it a spin again today.

Or maybe not.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Starsky
    • Sep 27th 2021

I love Ballbreaker. The album that really got me into AC/DC, believe it or not. Yeah, I knew the major hits, but that album got me hooked, so do not tell me it's trash. And the title track should have been a regular in the setlist ever since.
    Posted By: BallToucher
    Posted By: ThankassMaybe it's time to give it a spin again today.

Or maybe not.

Do you avoid that album?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Gaolbreak
    • Sep 27th 2021

A masterpiece.
    Time for it to become a member of the 27 club.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rajd07
    • Sep 27th 2021

Posted By: GaolbreakA masterpiece.

Definitely maybe. Top two of the last five albums.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Gaolbreak
    • Sep 28th 2021

Posted By: Rajd07
    Posted By: GaolbreakA masterpiece.

Definitely maybe. Top two of the last five albums.

Top two of the Brian albums for me.
    Posted By: MeanstreakDo you avoid that album?

Yeah, mostly. I like Ballbreaker and Burning Alive though, the rest I could live without.
    Posted By: GaolbreakTop two of the Brian albums for me.

You need medical help, sorry.
    • AC/DC rock music: St. Looy
    • Sep 28th 2021 edited

First time I heard it was sat in Part Rock's office in London listening on Stewart Young's Walkman to the only CDR in the country, copied direct from the DAT that was on it's way to East/West for them to hear and start the pressing works. Didn't even know Phil was back at that point. When Stewart told me it was like the world had been put right. This is the BIB line-up, the first album I bought when it came out, the line-up I'd seen at Hammy 82. And here I am hearing their return sitting in their manager's office. It was a beautiful day, and no amount of history or opinion will ever destroy it.
    Ballbreaker. Fucking great!!!!!!!!!!!
    •  
    • Sep 28th 2021

Posted By: St. LooyDidn't even know Phil was back at that point.
    Casual ;)
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Moh
    • Sep 28th 2021

I like Ballbreaker. But I got into AC/DC five years later with SUL which might have made that easier for me.
    After falling in love with SUL my uncle gave me Ballbreaker, Live and TRE. So I got a full overview of the last 10 years at pretty much the beginning of my AC/DC Journey. Then I went to the music store and bought a random and to me unknown record which turned out to be Powerage which became my definitive number one until today.
    But I think that's why I have no issues with BB and SUL.
    I’ve got great memories as a kid when this album came out, and the nostalgia alone makes me happy hearing this album.

Some of my favourite riffs and guitar solos are from this album
    Ballbreaker was my favorite tour since I began seeing the band starting with the TRE tour. I just graduated college when the album came out. I have some good memories of the time so I think I like this album a little more than others do.

My friends and I would always do a shot whenever we played Whiskey On The Rocks at the bar.
    • AC/DC rock music: BSeattle
    • Oct 2nd 2021 edited

I first heard the album at a release party at the paramount theater in Seattle.
    It was loud and awesome and I loved it.
    Loved the tour as well.
    The album isn't one I go back to a lot, but I listened to it a ton back when it came out.
    Posted By: MeanstreakBallbreaker rocks.
    A lot of Nickelback songs rock too. Not exactly high praise.
    Did I miss out on the 25th anniversary celebrations for Ballbreaker?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DrBelford
    • Oct 2nd 2021 edited

Posted By: mutt_langes_permA lot of Nickelback songs rock too.

Happy Birthday, Ballbreaker! You might have some problems ... but don't we all? ;)
    mutt lange's perm has gone astray lately. Is it the Canadian weather, perhaps?
    •  
    • Oct 2nd 2021

Just needs a little good ol german 3-Wetter-Taft hairspray ... everything's gonna be fine again
    Oh, so it's 26 now! Are we going to do a yearly party for every record? OK, fine by me.

Ballbreaker: title track, Burnin' Alive, CYIO (bite me), Hard as a Rock, sure why not, I don´t mind listening to Whiskey on the Rocks every few years. That's 5 tracks, the rest is tired, boring, with no sense of excitement whatsover. Sometning PWR/UP manages to do, somehow.

Oh, and Boogie Man. I like that one too. Not much, but hey.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Oct 2nd 2021

Some great songs on it. Top 3 songs - Hard as a Rock, Whiskey on the Rocks and Burnin' Alive. Middle 3 songs - CWYPD, The Furor, Ballbreaker. Then the rest in order of best to worst - Hail Caesar, Boogie Man, Cover You in Oil, Honey Roll, Love Bomb.
    •  
    • Oct 2nd 2021

Posted By: BrianySome great songs on it. Top 3 songs - Hard as a Rock, Whiskey on the Rocks and Burnin' Alive. Middle 3 songs - CWYPD, The Furor, Ballbreaker. Then the rest in order of best to worst - Hail Caesar, Boogie Man, Cover You in Oil, Honey Roll, Love Bomb.

Switch HAAR with BB and we're all set ;)
    A brilliant record. Back to basics and blues, the return of The Rudd, and none of your sugar coated razors edge candy production values either.
    Magnificent.
    Posted By: BallToucherAre we going to do a yearly party for every record? OK, fine by me

Just to help you prepare for the celebrations, here's the dates so you can get your party supplies prepared beforehand:

18 January (1988): Blow Up Your Video
    17 February (1975): High Voltage (Aus)
    28 February (2000): Stiff Upper Lip
    21 March (1977) Let There Be Rock
    5 May (1978): Powerage
    14 May (1976): High Voltage (Int.)
    24 May (1986): Who Made Who
    28 June (1985): Fly on the Wall
    25 July (1980): Back in Black
    27 July (1979) Highway to Hell
    15 August (1983): Flick of the Switch
    20 September (1976): Dirty Deeds
    21 September (1990): Razors Edge
    22 September (1995): Ballbreaker
    13 October (1978): If You Want Blood
    15 October (1984): ’74 Jailbreak
    20 October (2008): Black Ice
    27 October (1992): AC/DC Live
    13 November (2020): Power Up
    28 November (2014): Rock or Bust
    1 December (1975): TNT

Missed the three-day bender in September
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Oct 3rd 2021

Posted By: DrBelford
    Posted By: BrianySome great songs on it. Top 3 songs - Hard as a Rock, Whiskey on the Rocks and Burnin' Alive. Middle 3 songs - CWYPD, The Furor, Ballbreaker. Then the rest in order of best to worst - Hail Caesar, Boogie Man, Cover You in Oil, Honey Roll, Love Bomb.

Switch HAAR with BB and we're all set ;)

My only problem with BB is that I think the band focused too much on the aggressive aspect of the song and forgot to put a proper hook in there. It's perfectly good to rock out to, but not the song I think the album hangs upon. HAAR has that opening melody that is instantly identifiable and classic.
    Posted By: CantEvenFeedMyCat
    Are we going to do a yearly party for every record? OK, fine by me

Just to help you prepare for the celebrations, here's the dates so you can get your party supplies prepared beforehand:

Thanks man, much appretiated.

Posted By: tomscotlandnone of your sugar coated razors edge candy production

Where's the candy in TRE? I mean, apart from the obvious Moneytalks and Let's Make It. TRE has well, Thunderstruck, obviusly, Fire Your Guns, which is like Rose on steroids, Got you by the Walls, where's the sugar there? Razor's Edge title track? A heavy metal song. Yeah, lots of sugar in there. Good Riddance is basically a blues song, you may like it or hate it, but there's no sugar. It's actually kinda rough. Maybe you should give that album another spin, with clearer eyes. Remember this was 1990. Grunge anyone?

Rock Your Heart Out? Yeah, I guess that migh be sugar coated or whatever, but so is Mist of Time. Love Bomb or whatever. Let alone Rock the Blues Away or Anything goes, etc. You guys should let go of this TRE hate because it comes from nowhere.

Oh, sorry, it comes from Rudd not playing on it.

It's OK, of course, if you don`t like the songs, but Bruce Fairbairn's production was top notch and was the first to understand that if your singer sounds like that, well, that's the way it is and make it work. He brought Brian's voice up front, whereas others tried to hide him under a wall of reverbs, echoes and shit.
    90/91/92 was a brilliant time to be an ACDC fan. Arguably the best time of the Brian years. Razors edge was massive worldwide, thunderstruck was a brilliant lead single. The tour was amazing and got positive reviews worldwide. They played a great gig at Donington which was awesome and the Moscow gig was huge. then they brought out the Donington video and Brian got his live album. Highway to hell live single sounded amazing and did really well and the live album went down well. DDDDC was brilliantly put together and deserved second single. Video of monsters in Moscow also. Tell me another time better for amount of quality outputs with Brian. A classic time for the band and for any ACDC fans. Anyone who wants to degrade those outputs is a fkin idiot.
    Posted By: WarMachine7390/91/92 was a brilliant time to be an ACDC fan. Arguably the best time of the Brian years.

You sure have a funny way of writing 80/81/82.
    No live album, no live video, no massive tour
    Posted By: WarMachine73no massive tour

Back in Black and For Those About to Rock had massive tours for the time period. Back then, bands didn't embark on these never ending tours to promote a single album no matter how successful it was. The FTATR tour probably should have been longer though, considering the band was playing in front of bigger crowds compared to BIB. I guess that's what happens when you fire your world class manager before the start of the tour.
    Albums were better that’s for sure. But in 90/91 they were bigger than the Beatles in Germany and Russia and BIB was prob bigger in 90/91 than it was in 80/81/ The back catalogue went mental.
    •  
    • Oct 4th 2021 edited

Posted By: BrianyMy only problem with BB is that I think the band focused too much on the aggressive aspect of the song and forgot to put a proper hook in there. It's perfectly good to rock out to, but not the song I think the album hangs upon. HAAR has that opening melody that is instantly identifiable and classic.

Partly have to agree with that. BB is great, but still a little underdeveloped. With a little bit more juice or a hook as you say, I think it would have become a legitimate classic.

HAAR is serviceable as the opener, that's true, but it feels way too much like a "fast food version" of ACDC to me.
    •  
    • Oct 4th 2021 edited

BB didn't need a hook. It was made to flatten the building during gigs.

Posted By: DrBelfordbut it feels way too much like a "fast food version" of ACDC to me.

More like a "meat and potatoes" version of AC/DC. With a lot of emphasis on the potatoes if you know what I mean.
    Gotta love those hot patatoes