[ Sign In | Register ]

A user on another thread put this:

"Soundhouse Tapes x 2 (1 signed by the wrong lineup of Iron Maiden, but I was a kid and didn't know better when I asked Bruce and Nikko to sign it )"

As I am not a Collector, what is the general consensus about Band Members that were not part of the original recording signing the record? Does it actually de-value it at all?

I remember watching a Megadeth documentary where Marty refused to sign an Album he hadn't played on.

Thought this might make an interesting discussion for the non-collectors out there like me.

Thanks.
    • AC/DC rock music: nimeta
    • Sep 6th 2021

Its kind of been touched on before, when people discussed for example Brian signing a splatter. The consensus has always been that's its bad.

For me, with my Soundhouse Tapes, I got the whole band to sign it (and a load of other stuff) after the "Somewhere on Tour" gig at the Manchester Apollo. The band invited all the fans waiting at the stage door back into the venue and every fan who wanted basically met every band member and got a few things signed each. I only ever recall Motorhead and Marillion (don't ask please!) doing similar.

I remember Nikko spending a little time looking at the Soundhouse Tapes as he hadn't been asked to sign one before.

I don't regret devaluing the item and the whole experience was a so cool. I was still at School and was so made up at meeting the band like that and getting so many of my collectables signed.
    Posted By: nimetaIts kind of been touched on before, when people discussed for example Brian signing a splatter. The consensus has always been that's its bad.

For me, with my Soundhouse Tapes, I got the whole band to sign it (and a load of other stuff) after the "Somewhere on Tour" gig at the Manchester Apollo. The band invited all the fans waiting at the stage door back into the venue and every fan who wanted basically met every band member and got a few things signed each. I only ever recall Motorhead and Marillion (don't ask please!) doing similar.

I remember Nikko spending a little time looking at the Soundhouse Tapes as he hadn't been asked to sign one before.

I don't regret devaluing the item and the whole experience was a so cool. I was still at School and was so made up at meeting the band like that and getting so many of my collectables signed.

Thanks nimeta.

That must of been a great experience.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Goulash
    • Sep 6th 2021 edited

I was there for both shows and so inadvertently had the pleasure of Nimeta's company.
    I personally don't like to buy autographs but I am also a bit anal in that I feel uncomfortable when I see signatures of members who didn't play on AC/DC records. For example, I wouldn't want Phil on the Australian HV but on the international version is a different tale.
    • AC/DC rock music: St. Looy
    • Sep 6th 2021

Janick Gers apparently wouldn't sign any Gillan recordings with Bernie Tormé. Sometimes if he was piqued he'd sign Bernie's name. I had a solid vinyl test press of the Gillan flexidisc from Flexipop magazine and because it had white labels he joined the whole band in signing them. Friend of mine at the time was a massive Gillan fan and in a moment of poverty I gave in and sold it to him. Only time I've ever sold a record I had signed for myself. Wish I could have afforded to keep it :-(.
    With DC I always only had credited players sign, although I have a Mexican Flick Lp signed by 6, Phil for the album, and Simon for the tour. Same with a Spanish FOTS single's pic sleeve.
    • AC/DC rock music: fyfe79
    • Sep 6th 2021

Posted By: St. LooyJanick Gers apparently wouldn't sign any Gillan recordings with Bernie Tormé. Sometimes if he was piqued he'd sign Bernie's name. I had a solid vinyl test press of the Gillan flexidisc from Flexipop magazine and because it had white labels he joined the whole band in signing them. Friend of mine at the time was a massive Gillan fan and in a moment of poverty I gave in and sold it to him. Only time I've ever sold a record I had signed for myself. Wish I could have afforded to keep it :-(.
    With DC I always only had credited players sign, although I have a Mexican Flick Lp signed by 6, Phil for the album, and Simon for the tour. Same with a Spanish FOTS single's pic sleeve.

Interesting about getting Phil and Simon to sign those Flick items. Did Phil look at them before signing and notice Simon's signature on there?
    I got stuff signed in my youth by whoever was about on whatever I had at hand in all honesty. It’s only for my own memories at the end of the day
    • AC/DC rock music: Dyl70
    • Sep 7th 2021

I got a bunch a stuff signed on the somewhere in time tour too at Oxford apollo. Steve Harris asked where i managed to get the red vinyl wrathchild 7” that he signed. I only got him to sign that although Niko did sign my copy of number of the beast. Met Motorhead a few times, they came out and met us before the gig at Reading. For me its just personal memories, so the value doesn’t really matter. I finally met ACDC at the river plate premier and managed to get them to sign a black ice CD, minus Phil as he wasn’t there......
    • Sep 7th 2021

Fyfe79:
    I don't think Phil looked close enough to notice.
    If you hand any of them something they just sign it, no regard to composition - not even Angus the painter. Believe me I've tried to get "nice" sets, it's almost impossible!
    Just asking Brian to use the "right" pen for a set resulted in at least two items now decorated with "... you're a puff!" Puff being the northern English spelling of poof (US English something like "nancy boy"). Ah the memories.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Sep 7th 2021

Devaluation or an extremely rare and thus valuable item. You tell:

• Sep 7th 2021

Posted By: ThankassDevaluation or an extremely rare and thus valuable item. You tell:

An extremely rare and slightly devalued item !

Priceless though :))
    Posted By: ThankassDevaluation or an extremely rare and thus valuable item. You tell:

Are we talking about the record or that blokes mullet?

You know when you can't "unsee" something... I feel like that now.
    • Sep 7th 2021

When I put this under Mr. Evans nose for an autograph, he looked at the three already on there, George, Malcolm and Angus, and looked at me... "you want ME to sign this?". Yes I did. And I'm still damn glad I had the opportunity to do so. As with the other three.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Goulash
    • Sep 7th 2021

Posted By: St. Looy

When I put this under Mr. Evans nose for an autograph, he looked at the three already on there, George, Malcolm and Angus, and looked at me... "you want ME to sign this?". Yes I did. And I'm still damn glad I had the opportunity to do so. As with the other three.

That should hang next to the Mona Lisa. It's beautiful.
    • AC/DC rock music: fyfe79
    • Sep 7th 2021

Posted By: St. LooyFyfe79:
    I don't think Phil looked close enough to notice.
    If you hand any of them something they just sign it, no regard to composition - not even Angus the painter. Believe me I've tried to get "nice" sets, it's almost impossible!
    Just asking Brian to use the "right" pen for a set resulted in at least two items now decorated with "... you're a puff!" Puff being the northern English spelling of poof (US English something like "nancy boy"). Ah the memories.

Yeah, I'd imagine that Phil wouldn't even look twice at what he's signing.

Funny about your request to Brian to sign them nicely ended up as such... pretty unique! No way he'd sign them like that today in these woke times! :)
    • Sep 7th 2021

Posted By: Goulash

That should hang next to the Mona Lisa. It's beautiful.

I feel kinda dim. What the fuck was it that they all signed???
    • Sep 8th 2021

Let there be light:
    It's the right-hand inside of the Albert Archives LP's gatefold sleeve. The copy that as a sixteen year old I tore out of the hands of a school friend when we saw the photo of this wierd AC/DC neither of us had ever heard of.
    Wasnt Malcolms wife thanked on that album?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Zan
    • Sep 8th 2021

Phil would probably sign a banana if you stuck it in front of him, he doesn’t strike me as a man concerned with details.
    Just remembered, I have Phils signature. Got a copy of Head Job signed at Bonfest. Happy Days!
    Posted By: St. LooyFyfe79:
    Puff being the northern English spelling of poof (US English something like "nancy boy").

Correct. I live practically a stones throw from the English/Scottish border, and yes it's a term used for someone who is a bit of a "mummys boy".

It's generally used in good taste and normally only used with someone you call a very good friend. There is definitely no offense intended when used where I come from.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: youngjohn
    • Sep 8th 2021

This is one of the best things I have ever seen on here. Spectacular. I've got a huge grin on and little idea why. I think it might be George.
    • AC/DC rock music: kyoung
    • Sep 8th 2021

I think it's a little odd. When I was given an opportunity for signatures I only brought items appropriate for the current members at the time.
    Posted By: BillyBollocks

Are we talking about the record or that blokes mullet?

What, for the love of all that is holey, sorry holy, is as asstan?