[ Sign In | Register ]

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Goulash
    • Aug 3rd 2021

Hi folks,
    My mind was wandering and I got to think about sources of inspiration throughout our favourite band's career.
    As you know, the cannons in FTATR were inspired by the wedding of Prince Charles to Diana whilst the title came from For Those About To Die We Salute You.
    Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap is from a business card that a cartoon character called Dishonest John used to produce.
    Then of course there's Louie The Fly from 1985 who also inspired some of the lyrics to TNT.

Any others?
    • AC/DC rock music: Nachos73
    • Aug 3rd 2021

Learn something new everyday around here!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Starsky
    • Aug 4th 2021 edited

INSPIRATION

The Mortein advertisement was written by Bryce Courtenay who later wrote The Power of One (turned into a movie with Morgan Freeman). So he was the inspiration for Bon's 'dirty, mean, mighty unclean' line.
    This has been mentioned before, and I think it fits the brief: Bon got inspiration for the line "you can roll me tally ho ho" in You Ain't Got a Hold on Me from an Australian brand of cigarette papers called Tally Ho.
    • AC/DC rock music: St. Looy
    • Aug 4th 2021

I think it was Alex who sent George (or tipped him off to) Kraftwerk's Autobahn. Not only did it sow the seed for Flash and the Pan, but had a big influence on It's A Long Way... The fade of the bagpipe and the return of the guitar riff is very close to a sequence in Autobahn. Two totally different road songs, yet the drive is similar.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Aug 4th 2021

I think Angus mentioned that the inspiration for War Machine came from a documentary about Hannibal. The inspiration for the bell for Hells Bells was Mal’s dick. Then there’s the Australian groupies who provided inspiration for Rosie and Go Down. The heroin overdose of Bon in 1975 provided the spark for Overdose and heroin use (by Bon’s gf Silver Smith) was also the theme for Gone Shootin’. The movie “The Good, The Bad & The Ugly” inspired Ang for STT and James Cagney was the source of inspiration for Put The Finger On You. And IIRC the movie Badlands inspired the song of the same name.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Zan
    • Aug 4th 2021

The ThunderStreak toy was apparently the inspiration for Thunderstruck.
    Posted By: ZanThe ThunderStreak toy was apparently the inspiration for Thunderstruck.

I think Angus said in an interview somewhere he was once in a plane that got hit by lightning, and that played some role. But who knows.
    •  
    • Aug 4th 2021

Posted By: CantEvenFeedMyCat
    Posted By: ZanThe ThunderStreak toy was apparently the inspiration for Thunderstruck.

I think Angus said in an interview somewhere he was once in a plane that got hit by lightning, and that played some role. But who knows.

Hey St Looy, remember when Mal farted in front of you and said "Hey ****, you've been Thunderstruck!"? I don't half miss that bloke.
    Great stuff coming out here folks, thanks for all the input.
    Cheers
    Goulash
    • Aug 4th 2021

Ha Ha - yes!
    At the video shoot for Thunderstruck. I was wearing the video shirt sat on a flight case with Mal sat on another in front of me, back to me. He let rip, looked round, smiled, and seeing the shirt just came out with it!
    Mad comment mate, I was just this minute digitising pics from the day!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Aug 4th 2021

Quite a few of the song titles are derived from old sayings and phrases that have been knocking around for years.
    I can remember as a kid my nan, when asked for something over the odds would say "What do you want, blood?" which I'm sure way back comes from the old days of the roman games (ala For those about to die, we salute you).
    Tons of little phrases littered through the songs.
    •  
    • Aug 4th 2021

I could picture a young Angus seeing this and storing it in his memory bank.
    •  
    • Aug 4th 2021

I remember him being asked who his favourite movie star was and he replied with “Daffy Duck”. Wasn’t it him that used to say “Of course you realise, this means war!”
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Aug 4th 2021

Yeah, his plane was struck by lightning during a flight to/from Dusseldorf.
    •  
    • Aug 4th 2021

I think the reference to Tchaikovsky in Chuck Berry's Roll Over Beethoven was an inspiration for Bon in his LTBR theme.
    •  
    • Aug 4th 2021

The song Fly On The Wall was supposed to be inspired by a fan that always showed up in the most unforseen places, taking pictures of the band.
    It became annoying because they were feeling traped like a fly on the wall by this fan.
    •  
    • Aug 4th 2021

Moneytalks was inspired by Trump.
    •  
    • Aug 4th 2021

A trip on Rohypnol was supposedly the inspiration for the song Damned.

I can’t remember if it was this movie or another one, but I was under the impression that the Powerage sleeve came from Mal or Angus seeing the font from a movie poster.
    Burnin’ Alive is inspired from the Waco siege in 1993.
    The Furor is inspired from TV evangelists.

Bedlam in Belgium was inspired by the band's appearance at Kontich with a riot nearly breaking out when police tried to close down the show after the band allegedly ignored a strict 11 p.m. curfew.
    •  
    • Aug 4th 2021

Posted By: ThankassA trip on Rohypnol was supposedly the inspiration for the song Damned.

LOL
    •  
    • Aug 4th 2021 edited

IIRC correctly Brian once said that Shake Your Foundation’s lyrics were inspired by a woman he met in an airport bar in Sweden.
    • Aug 4th 2021

Wasn't me Thankass! I didn't become a fly until after the album, I was just a larva before that.

Spellbound: That font was very popular in the late seventies, especially on disco releases.

It's pretty clear that the whole first Oz HV album was Bon appealing to Irene in various ways. Pairing Love Song (Irene) - sic - with Baby Please Don't Go as the first single was laying it out on the line...
    •  
    • Aug 4th 2021

Posted By: Thankass

Yeah, his plane was struck by lightning during a flight to/from Dusseldorf.

The thing about ThunderStreak is actually from the liner notes of the 2003 reissue of The Razors Edge. But the story about the plane is a lot better and fits the lyrics!
    Really interesting thread..I’d add

Big Jack - Jack Charlton

Highway to Hell - road to Perth/life on road
    Posted By: Rocco
    Posted By: ThankassA trip on Rohypnol was supposedly the inspiration for the song Damned.

LOL

I'll be damned if I take Rohypnol?
    Posted By: RoccoThe inspiration for the bell for Hells Bells was Mal’s dick.

lol
    • Aug 5th 2021

Posted By: azelI remember him being asked who his favourite movie star was and he replied with “Daffy Duck”. Wasn’t it him that used to say “Of course you realise, this means war!”

You are correct sir!
    Posted By: St. LooyIt's pretty clear that the whole first Oz HV album was Bon appealing to Irene in various ways.

She's Got Balls! Irene wanted Bon to write a song about her, so he wrote that!

Money Made - inspired by Paris Hilton.
    •  
    • Aug 7th 2021

Hard Times - early years of the band.

Who Made Who - Maximum Overdrive by Stephen King
    • Aug 8th 2021

Posted By: Meanstreak

LOL

Who would've done that?
    •  
    • Aug 8th 2021

Posted By: Nachos73
    Posted By: Meanstreak

LOL

Who would've done that?

Ozzy said he once took rohypnol and ended up stuck down the side of his bed, unable to move.
    •  
    • Aug 8th 2021

Posted By: Goulashunable to move
    So just like when you listen to Damned
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?
    Angus wrote Black Ice after forgetting a can of Coke in the freezer.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Aug 9th 2021

Angus said that Love Hungry Man was inspired by a bad pizza. Imagine having so many great songs in the bank that you could afford to make such a flippant remark about a song that many lesser bands could stake their whole career on.

Money Made was written about the American obsession with money.
    The line "Chasin' that pie in the sky" in RNRD was probably inspired by Swedish-American singer Joe Hill: There was a long and interesting thread quite a long while back regarding all the inspirations for the lyrics to Next To The Moon.

Thanks for clearing the line "You can roll me tally ho ho" up - it's been a mystery for me in decades!
    •  
    • Aug 9th 2021

Posted By: SabbathFuckingSucksAngus wrote Black Ice after forgetting a can of Coke in the freezer.

LOL, happened to me a few days ago with a glass bottle of coke.
    •  
    • Aug 10th 2021

Posted By: soulstripper666The line "Chasin' that pie in the sky" in RNRD was probably inspired by Swedish-American singer Joe Hill:There was a long and interesting thread quite a long while back regarding all the inspirations for the lyrics to Next To The Moon.

Thanks for clearing the line "You can roll me tally ho ho" up - it's been a mystery for me in decades!

Or UFO - Lights Out:

"From the back streets there's a rumbling
    Smell of anarchy
    No more nice time, bright boy shoe shine
    Pie in the sky dreams"