[ Sign In | Register ]

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Jul 29th 2021

Posted By: angus1878...least he had a good long life

He was 72. How would you feel if Brian Johnson died last year? Would say it was a long life?

Anyway...

Thank you legend. Really dig ZZ Top, and rank Dusty highly.

72 is long, but these guys are active - good medical attention etc so I eould still call It shorter than expected, anyway you look at It, sad

Years years back he suddenly losed a ton of weight and there was talk about him being ill, he dismissed the claims. Whatever happened It sucks, I am gonna crank some ZZ now
    What a tough week losing Dusty Hill, Mike Howe and Joey Jordison within 2 days of each other
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Jul 30th 2021

Posted By: Thegamer101135What a tough week losing Dusty Hill, Mike Howe and Joey Jordison within 2 days of each other

Yes.
    Devastating news.

Here's two of my favourite ZZ Top songs, he does the vocals on both.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Rikha
    • Aug 2nd 2021

Huge fan of ZZ Top. They have many similarities with AC/DC when it comes to hard rock/blues riffing and soloing. Huge loss and one by one we are losing the greats. RIP Dusty.
    Well they already started playing shows again with a replacement

Posted By: carolinareaperWell they already started playing shows again with a replacement

There is no way he is truly singing that. His voice is not that smooth nowadays.
    That has to be on playback.

Am I crazy?
    Posted By: moosefball77
    Posted By: carolinareaperWell they already started playing shows again with a replacement

There is no way he is truly singing that. His voice is not that smooth nowadays.

Am I crazy?

Seeing them live the past 5 or so years...it’s become apparent to me that a good portion of the show is on some sort of backing track.

I’m guessing Frank triggers the start of a song or such.
    Posted By: Powerage1776
    Posted By: moosefball77

Am I crazy?

Seeing them live the past 5 or so years...it’s become apparent to me that a good portion of the show is on some sort of backing track.

I’m guessing Frank triggers the start of a song or such.

Saw them Wembley 2015 and I could have sworn the same for Gimme All Your Lovin & Legs. I thought they were singing just not playing.

I was near the front 2 years later at Ramblin Man and they were definitely live.
    Whatever the case, Dusty was great.
    Posted By: DirtyDeeds69Whatever the case, Dusty was great.

Agreed. Just an incredible bass player and vocalist. They are all just fantastic musicians.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: angus1878
    • Aug 3rd 2021 edited

the show goes on....

not a massive TOP fan but i love the rawnesss of some of the early stuff (reminds me of hearing guitar cable crackle and amp hum, like early DC stuff) but the polished stuff i can leave.....
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: SnakeEye
    • Aug 4th 2021

They were already playing with Elwood and not Dusty before he passed.

Dusty played the first two shows of this tour and went home to get some treatment for bursitis in his shoulder which was quite painful.
    He instructed Billy that he wanted the tour keep going with Elwood on bass (their guitar tech for 30 years).
    Unfortunately he has passed away while on sick leave effectively.
    Still gives a bad taste to me to just keep touring when your band mate of 50 years passes away ...
    Posted By: soulstripper666Still gives a bad taste to me to just keep touring when your band mate of 50 years passes away ...

I feel the same. I can’t believe Rossi continuing Quo without Parfitt either. I mean, I don’t rate anything after 1976 but you get the point, they were comrades but it seems to count for nothing at times.
    Posted By: tomscotland
    Posted By: soulstripper666Still gives a bad taste to me to just keep touring when your band mate of 50 years passes away ...

I feel the same. I can’t believe Rossi continuing Quo without Parfitt either. I mean, I don’t rate anything after 1976 but you get the point, they were comrades but it seems to count for nothing at times.

I understand where you're coming from, but what do you want them to do? Stay at home and be sad? These guys live to play music, it's what they do. Plus, you assume that just because they continue playing they don't feel bad about their bandmate who passed away!
    Posted By: matirocker
    Posted By: tomscotland

I understand where you're coming from, but what do you want them to do? Stay at home and be sad? These guys live to play music, it's what they do. Plus, you assume that just because they continue playing they don't feel bad about their bandmate who passed away!

I hear that too. But in Quo’s case it was all just a bit too nonchalant for me.
    I’m sure the Rev will make the right call.
    Its all about choices. Some bands stop. Some carry on.
    Ive seen plenty of bands past their best. But its a night out and ive not had too many of them recently! I suppose in Quos case without parfitt is like having a hotdog without ketchup and mustard
    Posted By: DavidcelticIts all about choices. Some bands stop. Some carry on.
    Ive seen plenty of bands past their best. But its a night out and ive not had too many of them recently! I suppose in Quos case without parfitt is like having a hotdog without ketchup and mustard

More like having ketchup and mustard but no MEAT.
    Some bands make a better go of it than others, depends on the age old ‘key member’ debate which is probably best saved for another day.
    I'm not saying they must stop touring completely or that they should end the band or spend years of mourning. But taking some time off after a key member's decease, cancelling a couple of dates, would at least make it seem like you cared a little bit and was at least slightly affected by the loss.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: matirocker
    • Aug 7th 2021 edited

Posted By: soulstripper666I'm not saying they must stop touring completely or that they should end the band or spend years of mourning. But taking some time off after a key member's decease, cancelling a couple of dates, would at least make it seem like you cared a little bit and was at least slightly affected by the loss.

Different people react and mourn differently. To these guys, being on stage playing must be like therapy, its their favorite place in the world. Cancelling dates makes no sense, specially if you are only doing it to ''seem like you care''
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Meanstreak
    • Aug 7th 2021 edited

It is not really understanding of other people to opine about how they should lead their lives in difficult situations and what choices they should make in response to mourning, in my opinion.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Aug 7th 2021 edited

I feel for both opinions; for the outside world it feels like someone's wife for 50 years has passed away and the widower is already fucking another woman the day after.

But on the other hand; after 50 years you know each other through and through and also what the other person would like or wish you to do when he's gone. Doing a gig can be seen as therapy because it reminds you of the good life you had together.

Rossi was already a ruthless ass, and when confessing he never shed a tear after Parfitt's death, he made it feel even more worse for the fans when he continued.
    At the end of the day we all die. As hard as it is to deal with death, I’m sure once you get to an old age you must sit back and think shit this isn’t going to last forever

Rock on zz top
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Meanstreak
    • Aug 7th 2021 edited

Posted By: ThankassI feel for both opinions; for the outside world it feels like someone's wife for 50 years has passed away and the widower is already fucking another woman the day after.

But on the other hand; after 50 years you know each other through and through and also what the other person would like or wish you to do when he's gone. Doing a gig can be seen as therapy because it reminds you of the good life you had together.

Rossi was already a ruthless ass, and when confessing he never shed a tear after Parfitt's death, he made it feel even more worse for the fans when he continued.

The wife who is gone gave consent that it was ok for her husband to fuck another woman as soon as she passed (!? wtf). And that is the same as guys playing in a band, touring. I can see some semblances, but your analogy is still off to me, haha
    Damned if you do, sued by promoters if you don't. It's lucky Axl doesn't play bass.