[ Sign In | Register ]

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Jul 28th 2021 edited

ZZ Top Bassist Dusty Hill Dead at 72

https://www.rollings...
    Blues rock will never be the same again.

RIP Dusty.
    •  
    • Jul 28th 2021

•  
      AC/DC rock music: angus5041
    • Jul 28th 2021

Sad news R,I,P Dusty
    Absolutely gutted.

R.I.P. Dusty

What a legend, a class act to boot.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Zan
    • Jul 28th 2021

RIP Dusty. Great player and vocalist. ZZ Top were one of the few bands (perhaps the only) to maintain their original line-up for over 50 years without interruption. Huge loss for such a legendary band.
    Huge loss. What a great band. I understand Bon was quite fond of their music.
    Terrible news! R.I.P Dusty

RIP, another one gone

Just looking for more info and he played his last gig with ZZ Top a couple of weeks ago - but his bass tech stood in for him for a show last week.
    • AC/DC rock music: grizzly
    • Jul 28th 2021

Shocked and gutted by this news. Such a talented guy, a terrific player and an absolutely wonderful character. Saw ZZ Top stacks of times over the decades. Every time a joy. Such a massive loss. RIP Dusty.
    One of the very best bands in the world. RIP.
    Posted By: MeanstreakOne of the very best bands in the world. RIP.
    Posted By: MeanstreakOne of the very best bands in the world. RIP.

Absolutely. Shocked by his loss.

Such a great player.
    • AC/DC rock music: rideon77
    • Jul 28th 2021

What a loss
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Grim177
    • Jul 28th 2021

Adios amigo. And thank you. You will be missed.
    • AC/DC rock music: Ron
    • Jul 28th 2021

Dusty Hill and Joey Jordison gone within 24 hours
    It's been a rotten couple of days for music.

Billy Gibbons has said it was Dusty's wish that the "show go on" but I don't see how they can. They've been the three of them since 1972. How can you replace that?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Treehorn
    • Jul 28th 2021

Very sad news. I knew little of the man but loved his music and playing.
    A band I always hoped to see but never happened for various reasons.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Treehorn
    • Jul 28th 2021

Bonamassa doesn’t really do it for me but the rest of them are top drawer
    What a loss to rock music! Not only was he a great bass player and show man, but I also really dig his voice. He had a such a cool more smooth voice in contrast to Billy's rawer pipes. I just wished they'd had used Dusty's vocal abilities more. Vila i frid.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Grim177
    • Jul 28th 2021 edited

R.I.P. The Dust.

• AC/DC rock music: Raff
    • Jul 28th 2021

There are no words...

Ride on Dusty.
    Posted By: soulstripper666What a loss to rock music! Not only was he a great bass player and show man, but I also really dig his voice. He had a such a cool more smooth voice in contrast to Billy's rawer pipes. I just wished they'd had used Dusty's vocal abilities more. Vila i frid.

Agreed 100%. I always felt he was ZZ's secret weapon. Laid a thick foundation with Frank for Billy to do his thing and could sing like Little Richard. RIP Dusty.

• AC/DC rock music: peluso8
    • Jul 29th 2021

R.I.P.

A legend and a huge loss to the music world
    •  
    • Jul 29th 2021 edited

Posted By: RonBilly Gibbons has said it was Dusty's wish that the "show go on" but I don't see how they can. They've been the three of them since 1972. How can you replace that?

Same way AC/DC went on without Malcolm. He told them too.

------

" Received this just now via text from @BillyFGibbons regarding passing of Dusty Hill @ZZTop . Billy told me okay to share w/fans: As Dusty said upon his departure, “ Let the show go on!”.and…with respect, we’ll do well to get beyond this and honor his wishes.

— Eddie Trunk (@EddieTrunk) July 28, 2021"
    R.I.P dusty, absolutely shattered

Thoughts going out to his family and band members of over 50 years, they’ll be lost without him.
    Aw man. One of the best
    Dear Frank & Billy

Please don’t carry on as ZZ Top
    Crank up the bass on the first four albums. Dusty’s ability to groove and fill were just phenomenal. Frank Beard’s drumming on tracks such as Precious and Grace along with Dusty’s bass lines are those things in life that just move you as a music lover.

Along with AC/DC these guys defined a significant part of mine and many other peoples lives.

We are all blessed to of had these guys.

RIP Dusty Hill and thanks for leaving a legacy we can enjoy everyday.
    Posted By: Powerage1776Crank up the bass on the first four albums. Dusty’s ability to groove and fill were just phenomenal. Frank Beard’s drumming on tracks such as Precious and Grace along with Dusty’s bass lines are those things in life that just move you as a music lover.

Along with AC/DC these guys defined a significant part of mine and many other peoples lives.

We are all blessed to of had these guys.

RIP Dusty Hill and thanks for leaving a legacy we can enjoy everyday.

Well said…. What a sad day
    • AC/DC rock music: FLACDC
    • Jul 29th 2021

Massive loss…RIP.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: SnakeEye
    • Jul 29th 2021 edited

Ah man, this shit fucking blows hard.

ZZ Top are a pivotal band for me.

They were part of the other world I would go and get lost in when I was struggling with parental separation as a younger lad. The power of music is an unbelievable thing.

Dusty was the Yin to Billy’s Yang, he locked down the bottom end and gave Billy space to do his thing.

I looked forward to every new release and more often than not would spin it to death. Yes, in what will be a shock to some, their career continued after 1983’s Eliminator. Post that they more often than not largely ignored in terms of new releases, which really grinds my gears as some of those albums are better than a couple of their earlier ones.

Especiallly dug when they experimented with lower tunings and wild fuzz sounds. If you are unfamiliar with some of these later releases I highly recommend 1996’s Rhythmeen which is baddass. 1999’s XXX is a bit more quirky but has great stuff, Made Into A Movie being a particular blues masterpiece. Plenty of others worth your time but there’s a quick fire couple.

RIP Dusty, thanks for the countless hours of joy.

Made Into A Movie:

A Dusty led rocker from 2003’s Mescalero:
    • AC/DC rock music: Big Rab
    • Jul 29th 2021

Absolutely awful news that's hard to take.
    • AC/DC rock music: tnpee
    • Jul 29th 2021 edited

Very sad news. ZZ top is a legendary band that always did great albums. I had chance to see them live 3 times. Great live band that always offered entertaining show with numerous classic original songs.

RIP Dusty. Thank you for your music that always keeps on playing.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Zan
    • Jul 29th 2021

They'll most likely keep touring with Elwood Francis on bass. He's been their guitar tech for 20 years and knows everything about their sound, it won't be the same but I don't think Billy Gibbons has any intention to stop. I'm glad I got to see the original line-up live in 2014.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Moh
    • Jul 29th 2021

Sad news...RIP Dusty.

Glad I've got to see them live a few times! That little ol' band from texas went with me for almost my whole life. He'll surely be missed.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Jul 29th 2021

RIP.
    No words.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Jul 29th 2021

RIP Dusty. You've brought a lot of joy with one of the best blues/boogie rock bands that ever existed. Also a great influence on the boys.
    Ride on rough boy.
    Genuinely gutted to have just heard that news
    RIP Dusty
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: angus1878
    • Jul 29th 2021 edited

its gutting to hear your sporting, movie or music favourites dying, but hey what can you do....its the one thing that no matter who you are, its the one part of life where we are all equal...least he had a good long life