[ Sign In | Register ]

Sony Music Publishing has struck a worldwide deal to administer the works of the Australian music company Alberts, which owns the complete song catalogs of AC/DC and the songwriting and producing team Vanda, Young and Wright. The latter team included George Young, the older brother of AC/DC founders Malcolm and Angus Young, and who, with Harry Vanda, produced the group’s early recordings as well as writing many hits for the Easybeats and others
    https://www.musicbus...

https://variety.com/...

What do you think guys?
    • AC/DC rock music: 71SG
    • Jul 12th 2021

Maybe we'll get Oz versions of TNT, HV, DDDDC released internationally?
    I wonder what they will release.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: MarvSidious
    • Jul 12th 2021 edited

I would love to see some new live stuff from them!
    Posted By: MarvSidiousI would love to see some new live stuff from them!

That's what I was thinking. Maybe they'll release some full shows on bluray. That would great.
    • AC/DC rock music: Rammy
    • Jul 12th 2021

1 word.

Vaults
    I’m confused. AC/DC has been with Sony since 2008. And Alberts was purchased as a whole, by Sony (Germany?) as of a few years ago. What exactly is new about this?

That said. FFS please unleash the vault already.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Moh
    • Jul 13th 2021

Posted By: Rammy1 word.

Vaults

Amen to that!
    Posted By: SpellboundI’m confused. AC/DC has been with Sony since 2008. And Alberts was purchased as a whole, by Sony (Germany?) as of a few years ago. What exactly is new about this?

That said. FFS please unleash the vault already.

They got a deal with Albert Studio's
    Flash and the Pan boxed set may be coming? But I hope this is gives them a reason for re-releasing the original Australian versions with original album art, etc.
    • AC/DC rock music: Nachos73
    • Jul 14th 2021

What do we want from the vaults? Everything? Or somethings?
    Three’s Up?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Goulash
    • Jul 14th 2021 edited

Posted By: Nachos73What do we want from the vaults? Everything? Or somethings?

Trouble is that we don't know what we don't know. I wouldn't want the quality of the legacy to be diluted by stuff that Angus and Mal didn't feel comfortable with but boy would I love to have a month to mooch around.
    I would like that they release some concerts with Bon, and maybe a concert from the back in black tour or for those about to rock tour.
    Posted By: Goulash

Trouble is that we don't know what we don't know. I wouldn't want the quality of the legacy to be diluted by stuff that Angus and Mal didn't feel comfortable with but boy would I love to have a month to mooch around.

I don't think the legacy would be deluted by live albums or demo stuff being officially released from the vaults, as long as the products are properly labeled so that people don't think the unreleased album from the summer of 77 is a new album or something. Metallica's legacy haven't been deluted because they released Cliff 'Em All in sub-par quality because they were open with that it was made from bootlegs. There's new box-sets and live albums from Bowie almost every month, but I don't think that delutes the legacy of his original albums at all.
    • AC/DC rock music: mkberg
    • Jul 14th 2021 edited

Gimme the unreleased/unfinished Lock Up Your Daughters documentary! But is that even Albert/Sony?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Grim177
    • Jul 14th 2021

I'd just like decent digital masterings of the complete discography. It would be a first. Australian albums, both versions of Powerage and any odd tracks appended to the corresponding albums. Preferably including downloadable HD versions with good dynamic range.
    Maybe AC/DC Live At Wrigley Field? Or some demos from Power Up, maybe how Angus sung the songs for Brian?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Goulash
    • Jul 14th 2021

Posted By: soulstripper666

I don't think the legacy would be deluted by live albums or demo stuff being officially released from the vaults, as long as the products are properly labeled so that people don't think the unreleased album from the summer of 77 is a new album or something. Metallica's legacy haven't been deluted because they released Cliff 'Em All in sub-par quality because they were open with that it was made from bootlegs. There's new box-sets and live albums from Bowie almost every month, but I don't think that delutes the legacy of his original albums at all.

I kind of agree with this train of thought although I think Metallica were ahead of the game by bootlegging the bootleggers. For me, anything unofficial from the early Bon era would be interesting but not something to keep revisiting unless it was very good quality. I've heard that Oxford 1978 was filmed (not by the band) and I'd like to see it but an official release would be another thing altogether.
    I find demos interesting but I don't revisit demo versions of songs by my other favourite bands so would I add AC/DC demos to my regular play list? It's hard to say. I'd love to see pro-shot stuff like the things regularly discussed here.
    Regarding the constant barrage of Bowie (and Hendrix) I feel uneasy as it soon becomes a case of just another release that has a stink of cash cow about it.
    I prefer quality over quantity I suppose but I accept I'm probably in the minority.
    • AC/DC rock music: St. Looy
    • Jul 14th 2021

From the stories I've heard over the years I wouldn't be at all surprised if this isn't just corporate filing that'll give Sony a bigger cut of the revenues. Administering something doesn't require new thought.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: benji
    • Jul 14th 2021

Posted By: MarvSidiousMaybe AC/DC Live At Wrigley Field?

What's the problem with Wrigley Field? xD
    Regarding the constant barrage of Bowie (and Hendrix) I feel uneasy as it soon becomes a case of just another release that has a stink of cash cow about it.

Absolutely money grabbing, but it still doesn't tarnish the legacy of Ziggy Stardust or Electric Ladyland. The bands/artists that I think have their legacy deluted by too many albums are ones like Chuck Berry, Elvis and to some extent Motörhead where there are so many different compilations floating around it's hard to find the original albums.

I prefer quality over quantity I suppose but I accept I'm probably in the minority.

Perhaps we can have both :-)
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Zan
    • Jul 15th 2021 edited

Posted By: benji

I'm pretty sure that show was canned for a reason. The videos circulating on YouTube are not flattering.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: benji
    • Jul 15th 2021

Posted By: Zan

I'm pretty sure that show was canned for a reason. The videos circulating on YouTube are not flattering.

Exactly
    Wrigley Field: the band was average, the weather was shite, the crowd was lame
    Berlin was way better

That SONY Deal only means one thing: more money with (so called) remastered albums, more box sets and maybe a few outtakes. Angus has already used Mal's best ideas and demos for ROB and PWRUP. There is nothing in the vault that we already know.

SONYs CEO Jon Platt stated: "We are pleased to join forces with Alberts to deliver new opportunities for AC/DC and Vanda, Young and Wright....

LOL
    Paris 2001 was pro shot; it was toss up between that and Munich for DVD, wouldn’t mind seeing full version of that gig
    Posted By: riffraff007SONYs CEO Jon Platt stated: "We are pleased to join forces with Alberts to deliver new opportunities for AC/DC and Vanda, Young and Wright....

Sounds like the Easybeats are going to get some remastering.
    Posted By: Zan

For a sec I thought you were talking about The Office and I was about to kick you in the ass for saying something like that hahaha
    • AC/DC rock music: Nachos73
    • Jul 16th 2021

Posted By: riffraff007 Angus has already used Mal's best ideas and demos for ROB and PWRUP. There is nothing in the vault that we already know.

Didn't Angus say there are 100s of song ideas left in the box in one of the interviews? It seemed like he wants to use more them. So there still could be more best stuff no?
    Posted By: Nachos73
    Posted By: riffraff007Angus has already used Mal's best ideas and demos for ROB and PWRUP. There is nothing in the vault that we already know.

Didn't Angus say there are 100s of song ideas left in the box in one of the interviews? It seemed like he wants to use more them. So there still could be more best stuff no?

Yes. Didn't even get to go through most of the boxes because Brendan said they had enough songs for the album already.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Spellbound
    • Jul 16th 2021 edited

Posted By: riffraff007Angus has already used Mal's best ideas and demos for ROB and PWRUP.

This is a retarded post and you should feel bad for posting it unless you’ve heard every single idea that they have archived. BI was a very mediocre album yet ROB and PWR/UP were fucking great. To say that there isn’t any other greatness under wraps is nonsense.

Posted By: CantEvenFeedMyCat
    Posted By: riffraff007SONYs CEO Jon Platt stated: "We are pleased to join forces with Alberts to deliver new opportunities for AC/DC and Vanda, Young and Wright....

Sounds like the Easybeats are going to get some remastering.

This is something I can get behind. I would love remasters/remixes of The Easybeats catalog. Flash and the Pan should be left alone though.
    Posted By: Nachos73Didn't Angus say there are 100s of song ideas left in the box in one of the interviews? It seemed like he wants to use more them. So there still could be more best stuff no?

No, Angus said in a German magazine (I can't remember which one) that he has worked on more than 100h! studio/private recordings with Mal and took the best ideas for ROB and PWRUP. Maybe there are more riffs or snippets, but no real songs or even lyrics. Angus also said that Mal rejected many ideas. PWRUP: "This one is for Mal" means the best shots Angus has found in the vault...
    It was said they had tons of tapes and they just started shaping up some of the tracks off the first set of tapes they grabbed.

He said there were plenty he hadn't even looked at yet. They grabbed a tape and started sorting out ideas, and once they had a good chunk of songs together they stopped and kept working those.

He never said he picked and picked until he had some that where good. We have absolutely no idea what is left in there and to assume that because they haven't been used yet they're "subpar" or "no good" is ignorant.

If it's not been proven already,never underestimate them, still could be some diamond's in the rough.

The songs we got on Power Up could have easily been out on ROB had he grabbed that tape first, Angus more or less said that.
    He def said he had hundreds left to go through in an interview.
    • AC/DC rock music: brechin
    • Jul 16th 2021

What they should do - Dump the international Bon releases and make the Aussie versions part of the official canon.

What they will do - remastered / re-released versions of what we've already had.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DustDevil
    • Jul 16th 2021

EVERYTHING REMASTERED BY BOB LUDWIG PLEASE. And NORMAL SLEEVES/INLAYS, none of this fucking OOO HAVE A READ ABOUT THIS AND THAT shite.

Sorry for the caps, I'm IN BEER.
    Wrigley gig might not be phenomenal, but I love this version of Sin City from this gig:

•  
      AC/DC rock music: DustDevil
    • Jul 16th 2021

^YES. I'd like to see it released just for THAT. The ladders/snakes breakdown from Brian makes the hairs on the back of my bollocks stand up.