[ Sign In | Register ]

•  
      AC/DC rock music: matirocker
    • Jul 8th 2021 edited

While most of the users here are going crazy about the Euro final, Im sure there's a bunch of us that are more concerned with the nations tournament this side of the hemisphere. And any football fans that may care for it, I guess!

Argentina hasn't won a title since 1993's Copa America (if you don't count the gold medals in 04 and 08 Olympics) and have lost countless final matches since then (2004, 2007, 2015 and 2016 Copa America, 2014 World Cup, 2005 Confederations Cup).

I was born in 1994 so, besides those Olypmics, I've never seen the national team be champions, and it's about time. This is most likely Messi's last Copa America, since the next one is in 2024 and he'll be 37 by then. He deserves a title with Argentina. Brazil has been the main stone in the way of that, so let's hope this time's different.
    Go on Argentina!
    Always been my favourite world team
    Be sweet to beat that wee diving cnut neymar
    • AC/DC rock music: fyfe79
    • Jul 9th 2021

As a Liverpool fan, I wouldn't mind seeing Alisson, Fabinho and Firmino win it with Brazil, but I can't begrudge Messi a title with Argentina. He deserves it after coming close so often. Also, I'm sure he's desperate to draw level with Ronaldo (European championship with Portugal) in terms of international titles.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Jul 9th 2021

Always had a soft spot for Brazil to be honest, going back to 1970.
    Should be a great final though, and certainly wouldn't begrudge Argentina winning it.
    • AC/DC rock music: Ron
    • Jul 9th 2021

I have caught a few of the games. I've not been impressed with Brazil. The gulf in quality between the Brazil of the 1990s and now is immense. Messi is one of the best players ever to grace the field so would love to see him pick this up.
    •  
    • Jul 9th 2021

Brazil was always the coolest team for playing Subbuteo!!!

All the youngsters are now....WTF??
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: morevish
    • Jul 9th 2021

must be a matter of life and death, this match between two archrivals. Hope Messi brings the trophy to Buenos Aires, he deserves it. I was always a fan of Brazil in the 80's with their Samba-football. Started to dislike them with their change in style in the 90's, more result-driven, defensive and also more theatre and diving (Rivaldo, and Neymar of course).
    • Jul 9th 2021

Late 90s, early 2000's, Brazil still had some magic to them. Original and best Ronaldo was a marvel to watch when he was on it. Ronaldinho as well. As for Roberto Carlos on a set piece. He'd make Beckham look like a rank amateur. Brazil will always have that anchor of 1970 hanging around their neck. How could any team be that good again? That was their Back in Black.
    •  
    • Jul 9th 2021

Two of my favourite games of all time, Brazil v Italy - Mexico 1970 (yes I can still remember watching it) and Argentina v Rumania - USA 1994.
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Jul 9th 2021

I would like to see this. I love Lionel Messi and believe he is the greatest player ever, even better than Maradona. In fact, I'll list the five greatest players I've seen in my lifetime (only on TV):

- Messi
    - Maradona
    - Brazilian Ronaldo
    - Zidane
    - Portuguese Ronaldo
    Argentina to win hopefully, for Messi and especially Emi Martinez
    No way as an Englishman I could ever support Germany or Argentina over any other team.
    Posted By: WarMachine73No way as an Englishman I could ever support Germany or Argentina over any other team.

Live and let live
    Says the man who says England supporters think they are superior and would no doubt wear and Argentina shirt over an England one.
    • Jul 9th 2021 edited

I made my peace with Die Mannschaft in 2014. They were absolutely fantastic. Beating them at Wembley 2 weeks ago furthered that thaw. I love going to Germany. I've got a lot of time for the place.

Not quite as much with Argentina but looking at past World Cups with older eyes I can appreciate just how good Maradona was and also feel a little sadness that both Brazil and Argentina seem to be husks of their former selves.
    Posted By: WarMachine73No way as an Englishman I could ever support Germany or Argentina over any other team.

Why not?
    Posted By: BillyBollocks

Why not?

Maybe because of the "Hand of God" and arch-rivalry, respectively.
    It’s 2021, most of us have moved on
    • Jul 9th 2021

Indeed. That's what's so great about the current England team. Absolutely none of that baggage is attached to them. They couldn't give a flying fuck about Euro 96, Italia 90 or Maradona or Beck's red card in 98. It's just a bunch of shit that happened before they were born.
    Posted By: BillyBollocksIt’s 2021, most of us have moved on

Really? So why do all neutrals (Scottish in particular) hate England. Because of history, that’s why. Hypocritical to say live and let live, we’ve moved on etc etc Bollocks when that’s the actual reason they will never support the English.
    Posted By: RonIndeed. That's what's so great about the current England team. Absolutely none of that baggage is attached to them. They couldn't give a flying fuck about Euro 96, Italia 90 or Maradona or Beck's red card in 98. It's just a bunch of shit that happened before they were born.

Agreed, they are creating their own history thank fk and good luck to them. All of them including Southgate should be proud of what they’ve achieved and how they’ve gone about doing it.
    Posted By: WarMachine73

Really? So why do all neutrals (Scottish in particular) hate England. Because of history, that’s why. Hypocritical to say live and let live, we’ve moved on etc etc Bollocks when that’s the actual reason they will never support the English.

I couldn’t give a fuck what the Scottish or anyone else thinks. I’m English and I’m saying I’ve got absolutely no problem with Germany or Argentina

I’m not a flag shagger
    You said most of ‘us’ have moved on. That Bollocks Bollocks in my opinion.
    • Jul 9th 2021

Posted By: WarMachine73

That's just their equivalents of 50 year old bald men from Kent that think they personally flew a Spitfire and won WW2. Every country has them. Who cares.
    Posted By: WarMachine73You said most of ‘us’ have moved on. That Bollocks Bollocks in my opinion.

Well I can’t help but feel a bit sorry for you if your view of other nationalities is based on decades old football matches or maybe wars
    Posted By: WarMachine73Says the man who says England supporters think they are superior and would no doubt wear and Argentina shirt over an England one.

Youre misquoting me mate. I never mention English fans being superior. And what I did say I winked after it. I could go on and explain myself but dont see the point. I am what I am and you are what you are. I would never write off a nation for any reason. Bottom line is there good people and cnuts in every race creed and colour. Peace man :-)
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: dt
    • Jul 10th 2021

Team Argentina here. Maybe because my first football memories are of the World Cup 1990 and quite impressive performance of substitute goalkeeper Sergio Goycochea during penalty shoot-outs.
    And yes, as many stated above, Messi deserves it.
    And yes, finally, Mati deserves it ;-)
    Bottom line is there good people and cnuts in every race creed and colour. Peace man :-)

Can’t argue with that dude.
    Posted By: WarMachine73Bottom line is there good people and cnuts in every race creed and colour. Peace man :-)

Can’t argue with that dude.

Oh yeah! yeah! What is a cnut, by the way?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Starsky
    • Jul 10th 2021

It's incredible Argentina hasn't won a tournament for this long. I won't be watching the game, but I am rooting for Argentina.

I saw an article saying that a lot of Brazilian fans are supporting Argentina in this final, with the reason being the soft, flopping Brazilian players that they're ashamed of.
    Posted By: fyfe79As a Liverpool fan, I wouldn't mind seeing Alisson, Fabinho and Firmino win it with Brazil, but I can't begrudge Messi a title with Argentina. He deserves it after coming close so often. Also, I'm sure he's desperate to draw level with Ronaldo (European championship with Portugal) in terms of international titles.

Agreed on every point.
    Posted By: RonLate 90s, early 2000's, Brazil still had some magic to them. Original and best Ronaldo was a marvel to watch when he was on it. Ronaldinho as well. As for Roberto Carlos on a set piece. He'd make Beckham look like a rank amateur. Brazil will always have that anchor of 1970 hanging around their neck. How could any team be that good again? That was their Back in Black.

They were quite good in 1982 aswell as i recall. Socrates, Eder, Falcao, Júnior, Zico and Serginho.
    Posted By: StarskyIt's incredible Argentina hasn't won a tournament for this long. I won't be watching the game, but I am rooting for Argentina.

I saw an article saying that a lot of Brazilian fans are supporting Argentina in this final, with the reason being the soft, flopping Brazilian players that they're ashamed of.

Can they ever be ashamed on the level of 2014 World cup SF against Germany? That was a tragedy for fans in Brazil.
    • Jul 10th 2021

What an amazing, unforgettable game that was. I haven't seen so many South Americans felled by a Teutonic killing machine since Arnie Schwarzenegger starred in Commando.
    Posted By: RonWhat an amazing, unforgettable game that was. I haven't seen so many South Americans felled by a Teutonic killing machine since Arnie Schwarzenegger starred in Commando.

Don´t forget the kindergarten defending by Luiz, Dante, Marcelo etc. But they all blamed the striker Fred in the end. Poor chap.
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Jul 10th 2021

Posted By: WholelottatobeThey were quite good in 1982 aswell as i recall. Socrates, Eder, Falcao, Júnior, Zico and Serginho.

What a team that was. And watching on telly, with the slightly crackly, distorted sound and commentary, it added to the sense of occasion and exotic feeling of it all.

Posted By: RonOriginal and best Ronaldo was a marvel to watch when he was on it.

As with Zidane, he made it look like when you're at school playing against a team from two year grades below! The way he'd storm towards goal at incredible speed yet still time his stepovers to perfection, he was totally impossible to stop, and his finishing was lethal. Amazing striker, one of the absolute best ever.
    Posted By: 900
    Posted By: WholelottatobeThey were quite good in 1982 aswell as i recall. Socrates, Eder, Falcao, Júnior, Zico and Serginho.

What a team that was. And watching on telly, with the slightly crackly, distorted sound and commentary, it added to the sense of occasion and exotic feeling of it all.

Posted By: RonOriginal and best Ronaldo was a marvel to watch when he was on it.

As with Zidane, he made it look like when you're at school playing against a team from two year grades below! The way he'd storm towards goal at incredible speed yet still time his stepovers to perfection, he was totally impossible to stop, and his finishing was lethal. Amazing striker, one of the absolute best ever.

I quite liked Romario aswell if you remember him in Brazil and Barcelona. He could be like the invisible little man, and then he just turned up and scored. Always looked so damn easy.
    Eder

• Jul 10th 2021

Sexy chip into goal by Di Maria.
    I am watching the game now, and i am not far away from really disliking Neymar. He is disgusting, and so far away from legendary players like Sokrates, Pele and Zico. With rolemodels like those i am wondering what the hell went wrong? I watched on the telly when Barcelona paid tributes to Cruyff when he died. One player didn´t even take his cap off. Guess who? He will probably win the game for Brazil. I don´t really care. Do you?