[ Sign In | Register ]

In these rock-starved times it's great to see their new one heralded as a masterpiece across the board and getting the kind of media exposure usually reserved for pop acts these days. Haven't heard it yet but about to give it a spin or -more prosaically but accurately - click the link on Spotify :)

https://www.bbc.co.u...
    • AC/DC rock music: jonnya
    • Jun 4th 2021

The Guardian gave it 5 stars - make of that what you will.
    • AC/DC rock music: Ron
    • Jun 4th 2021

Sorry Alex. That sounds like generic, lifeless indie fluff to my ears. If that's a rock masterpiece I am a potato
    When talking of Pop vs Rock,
    let me tell you, that I had read some sites
    few month ago, after discovering, that we actually
    have since year 2016 a dedicated Rock sender on FM-radio,
    that the Rock-genre is the only genre here in Germany, that
    has rising audience numbers, in a market environment,
    that is steadily declining (since around 2010).

I made a multiple choice poll on another forum,
    with some ~15 choices relating to radio and genres.
    Of 31 participants, 16 selected 'no radio at all' .
    FM was still ahead of DAB+, cable, internet steams and others.

For Wolf Alice, I have seen her here on the forum
    already, but due to bandwith limitation, am rarely
    watching YouTube.

Hopefully RadioBOB will introduce her here, too.
    Never had heard about her before.

Not sure, though, they play quite much the
    go' old times of Mr Hendrix, Led Zep, Stones, Ozzy, et cetera.

They play also quite a much Green Day and German Die Ärtze -punk.
    When they played the East German "Broilers" with "We were chased by Nazis" I made a sh*tty comment in their app.
    West-Germans are actually left-winged: When I had been to France in 1992 on an aprenticeship-exchange,
    I took a Samsung ghettoblaster with me.
    My brother had forgotten his Die Toten Hosen -CD in it;
    that punk went up and down whole 2½ weeks long.
    The other trades didn't wanted to listen to me music.
    One hitleresque übermensch being blacksmith/metal worker even told,
    that he refused to manufacture fog-horns for submarines.

Am reducing RadioBOB consumption currently.
    even missed the AC/DC daily midnight song now 00:29 clock,
    since they always play the few same old titles.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Jun 4th 2021

Posted By: Alex LebanonIn these rock-starved times it's great to see their new one heralded as a masterpiece across the board and getting the kind of media exposure usually reserved for pop acts these days. Haven't heard it yet but about to give it a spin or -more prosaically but accurately - click the link on Spotify :)

https://www.bbc.co.u...

I've been looking forward to this one. Haven't had a chance to listen to yet, but will pretty soon. I love the 3 songs released already.
    •  
    • Jun 4th 2021 edited

Posted By: RonThat sounds like generic, lifeless indie fluff to my ears.

I don't like much indie stuff either, but there's something different about this one. Some of it is mellow, but no way is it lifeless.
    Posted By: Inferno
    Posted By: RonThat sounds like generic, lifeless indie fluff to my ears.

I don't like much indie stuff.

C’mon, Inferno, we all know you spend the wee hours scouring the web for early Belle & Sebastian EPs :)
    •  
    • Jun 4th 2021 edited

Posted By: Alex LebanonC’mon, Inferno, we all know you spend the wee hours scouring the web for early Belle & Sebastian EPs :)

I get my indie fill while trying to bypass the videos you post in the "Today I'm listening to" thread. : )
    • Jun 4th 2021

To each their own of course but there must be something better out there this year than this Dido spliced with the Weeknd effort. Fair enough, this isn't from my end of the music spectrum by a long shot and I'm sure anyone driving their Chelsea Tractor to Glastonbury next year is going to lap this up, but how in any way is this a rock album?
    •  
    • Jun 4th 2021 edited

Posted By: Ronbut how in any way is this a rock album?

It's not. But then, I don't consider Pink Floyd to be rock either.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DustDevil
    • Jun 5th 2021

Tracks 4 and 7 are the only two anywhere near Rock. The rest is dreary snooze-fest shite. I'm not surprised The Guardian gave it a 5.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Janonen
    • Jun 5th 2021

The word universal makes it sound like even grey aliens are listening to it on their drunken friday night cattle mutilation cruises.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: angus1878
    • Jun 5th 2021 edited

love to hear something new is up and coming, but i also get a feeling sometime artists are being "pushed on you", ...you can get 5 stars for farting now, just listened to it...its alright but wont be getting a second listen.....if they are "ROCK" ...make them headliners of Download 2022/23...lets see the reception !
    •  
    • Jun 5th 2021

I liked the first few songs they put out ahead of the album and I had no idea what The Guardian or any other other British or American magazine thought of them. I still like the album.
    Fantastic band! Not going to be everyone's cup of tea especially on an AC/DC forum.

I've loved the first two albums and the latest one is a great follow up. Ethereal and spacious but with elements of indie and alternative rock. The sort of music to listen with headphones whilst taking in the crisp morning air of a summer sunrise. Music that whilst being new somehow gives you a sense of nostalgia.
    I think they would actually go down a storm at Download. Metal fans are much less tribal and narrow minded than they used to be. :)
    Posted By: Alex LebanonMetal fans are much less tribal and narrow minded than they used to be. :)
    Well I would hope so, but such things exist everywhere (even in the realm of ACDC fandom... *cough cough Jesse Fink*). People can like what they like, ultimately, but it's when people attempt to force their closed-mindedness on others with such things as "purity" and "posers" that I have a problem.
    •  
    • Jun 6th 2021

Ya know, I hadn't thought about it that way, but it has to be true. The old geezers can't continue to be the ones who continue to lead the charge. If Mogwai are super popular, then it means that this "post rock" stuff resonates with people, and those fans will be the ones buying the tickets to these festivals. AC/DC and the rest of the hard rock and heavy metal forefathers will always be a draw, and will be appreciated by the younger crowd, but there will be new favorites, and maybe not the kind of bands we expect.
    • Jun 6th 2021

They've had Biffy Clyro headline Download. Their crowd was a little sparse with the more trad metallers over watching Rob Zombie but the days when a band could expect a hail of piss-bottles launched from a thousand hairy catapults are long, long gone.
    Thank fk
    I’d rather see Lana Del Ray headline than this snoozer personally
    • AC/DC rock music: jonnya
    • Jun 7th 2021

Muse, Royal Blood, Twenty One Pilots, MCR are suitable headliners
    •  
    • Jun 7th 2021 edited

I just listened through the album again. I don't care what genre people want to call it, it's got great songs. I'm very much digging it.
    Nice, Heather Nova in loud and tremble.

First song heard was `Smile' :
    Interesting approach, but not my cup o't.
    Predjudices came up, reading that BBC article,
    lefties gave 5 hyping stars, cons generously nationalist 4.

Then Last Man, and another one:
    Heather Nova.

As oldie I stick with the glory day's past;
    completely agree, if not known HNova before,
    and 12-year old would like WAlice better.
    Heather Nova! there’s a name I haven’t heard in decades. Saw her play upstairs of a pub in Wolverhampton sometime in the 90s. Not bad
    It’s a grower. Delicious Things is the best thing they’ve done - what a chorus! Love the candid lyrics about getting wasted in the Hollywood Hills, then feeling wobbly and phoning her mum.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Jun 8th 2021

Posted By: jonnyaMuse, Royal Blood, Twenty One Pilots, MCR are suitable headliners

Muse smashed it a few years back. They did exactly what they should have done. Scaled sown their show, and stuck to their rockier stuff.
    I think they converted quite a lot of people that day.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Jun 8th 2021

As far as the thread title goes, i quite like it. I do love a quirky female voice and atmospheric backdrop!