[ Sign In | Register ]

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Aidenc
    • Jun 3rd 2021

Some of you might know this already, but AC/DC released a video album, only in Australia, back in 1989. More info about it: https://en.wikipedia...
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DC/79
    • Jun 3rd 2021

I've owned a copy since.....1989!

https://imgur.com/3w...
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DC/79
    • Jun 3rd 2021

Incidentally, the cover photo is by Robert Ellis, and was taken at Liverpool Empire 5th November 1979. The cover of the Touch Too Much single is very similar & was taken at the same gig.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Goulash
    • Jun 3rd 2021

There are 2 versions of this.
    Mine had dreadful, quiet sound but I put up with it.
    Posted By: GoulashThere are 2 versions of this.

Jailbreak?
    WTF is a ‘video album’ ?
    • AC/DC rock music: Franz
    • Jun 3rd 2021

I've got this one.
    It's just a vhs with videoclips on it.
    •  
    • Jun 3rd 2021

Posted By: WarMachine73
    Posted By: GoulashThere are 2 versions of this.

Jailbreak?

I can't remember what is different on the two releases, I'll have to get my VCR from the attic.
    It’s jailbreak. One has the video outside with the explosions and the band dressed as guards and convicts and the other has the video inside with Bon in his cropped red and black striped sawing the bars during the solo.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Aidenc
    • Jun 4th 2021

Posted By: BillyBollocksWTF is a ‘video album’ ?

It´s a collection of music videos and live videos. Let There Be Rock: The Movie was a video album, Live at Donnington was a video album, Live was a video album, Family Jewels was a video album, Plug Me In was a video album. Live at River Plate was a video album.
    These have always just been called video compilations in my lifetime
    •  
    • Jun 4th 2021

Posted By: WarMachine73It’s jailbreak. One has the video outside with the explosions and the band dressed as guards and convicts and the other has the video inside with Bon in his cropped red and black striped sawing the bars during the solo.

Spot on mate
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Starsky
    • Jun 4th 2021

The wiki article doesn't say who played bass on track 5 (Dog Eat Dog) on this mysterious album. Could it be... no, surely not... STING??
    • AC/DC rock music: St. Looy
    • Jun 4th 2021

My memory says Riff Raff was also different on the two versions, one starting on stage, the other starting with a shot of the front of the Apollo.
    Can't remember which quarry Jailbreak version was used, the one with Mal shooting Bon in the back, or the re-cut which muddy's who fired the shot. Have to watch both again soon actually.
    My version shows front of apollo and indoor jailbreak.
    Wait... this was an official release?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DustDevil
    • Jun 4th 2021

I remember buying this from Penny Lane Records in Chester, must've been about 1989/1990ish. It went missing many moons ago unfortunately!
    •  
    • Jun 4th 2021

Posted By: DustDevilI remember buying this from Penny Lane Records in Chester, must've been about 1989/1990ish. It went missing many moons ago unfortunately!

One of my favourite record shops. I bought the Australian HV from there. I guess we're practically neighbours.
    •  
    • Jun 4th 2021

Posted By: ac/dennisWait... this was an official release?

Yeah, it was official.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DustDevil
    • Jun 5th 2021

Posted By: Goulash
    Posted By: DustDevilI remember buying this from Penny Lane Records in Chester, must've been about 1989/1990ish. It went missing many moons ago unfortunately!

One of my favourite record shops. I bought the Australian HV from there. I guess we're practically neighbours.

I wish I could go back in time, some of the vinyl they had in there I regret not buying now! They didn't last very long after HMV opened over the road :(
    Posted By: BillyBollocksThese have always just been called video compilations in my lifetime

Agreed. I've never heard anyone use the term "video album". An album is something you listen to not watch.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Badlands66
    • Jun 5th 2021 edited

Wasn’t Dog Eat Dog different on a few versions? One was Bon with a jacket/Mark with a Gibson Thunderbird bass, the other was just the DED clip from Glasgow Apollo?
    Posted By: AidencSome of you might know this already, but AC/DC released a video album, only in Australia, back in 1989. More info about it:https://en.wikipedia...

Yes I have this VHS Video. I've had it since I was a teenager. I'm now about to turn 49 and I still have it.
    • AC/DC rock music: tnpee
    • Jun 6th 2021

Yes, I bought it in the 90's as a kid and still got it!
    • AC/DC rock music: St. Looy
    • Jun 19th 2021 edited

Finally found time to watch these again:
    First issued in 1987 distributed by EMI as VM60057. My copy has a test picture at the end with a duplication date of July 88, so not a first run off copy. The recordings seem raw and direct from tapes, with no on-screen song titles. Jailbreak is the indoor version with Bon wearing the black and red striped top. Riff Raff includes the PA hum audio start with footage of the front of the Apollo. Dog Eat Dog is the London recording, with Mark, for Australian TV introduced by Leo Sayer.
    When CBS took over Albert's distribution in 1989 the tape was issued again (49817 2), same artwork but with a yellow "For General Exhibition" strip on the front (the receipt is still in mine - I bought it in November 92, so also not a first run off copy). The tracklisting was reassembled from what CBS could access and the mastering seems crisper, both audio and picture. High Voltage now has a title caption over the start. The other songs also now have title captions, but over black screen before each song. Jailbreak is the quarry video in it's re-cut version (maybe it was re-cut for this release?). Riff Raff starts with Angus on the amps, and Dog Eat Dog is also from the Apollo.
    I don't think EMi put it back catalogue when they took back Albert's distribution in 1994 - maybe I'm wrong?
    • AC/DC rock music: fyfe79
    • Jun 19th 2021 edited

Bought the vhs back in 1991 or so, when I was about 12. Still have it. Based on the above, it's the re-issue (Jailbreak in the quarry). It was my first time even hearing Jailbreak. I remember making an open-mic recording of that song to cassette. The recording had my mother shouting my name from the other room on it. Listened to it loads, although the cassette is long gone now.
    Even to this day, when I play the proper studio version of Jailbreak, I hear my mother's voice calling my name right at a particular point in the track. Weird.

Btw, I made a kind of unofficial "Family Jewels 4" dvd. If there's any interest, I'll upload it to Mega for download.
    I wanted all the HTH and BIB promo videos on one disc, so I used the youtube vid's, and also the newer Stevie-era promo's which weren't on FJ 3.... everything up to 'Witch's Spell'. Filled out the disc with a few tv appearances... nice set, about 110mins.
    Great video! My dad bought it for me as Christmas gift at Heavy Sound Records in Stockholm back in the day. That was a great little record shop!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: 7seven
    • Jun 23rd 2021

Posted By: fyfe79
    Btw, I made a kind of unofficial "Family Jewels 4" dvd. If there's any interest, I'll upload it to Mega for download.

Definitely interessted!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Kamikaze
    • Jun 23rd 2021

Posted By: 7seven

Definitely interessted!

Count me in!
    • Jun 23rd 2021

Definitely interessted!

Cool. I'll try to get around to uploading this at some stage. The below is what I put on it.
    Generally good quality, apart from the Aplauso track and the rare promo of IALWTTT. I also needed to edit together 2 different videos of HTH on Rockpop in order to get a complete track. Authored with menu's etc.

Classic Videos (1979-80)
    Highway to Hell
    Shot Down in Flames
    Walk All Over You
    Touch Too Much
    If You Want Blood You've Got It
    Hells Bells
    Back in Black
    You Shook Me All Night Long
    Let Me Put My Love Into You
    What Do You Do For Money, Honey
    Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Recent Videos (2014-21)
    Rock or Bust
    Play Ball
    Rock the Blues Away
    Shot in the Dark
    Demon Fire
    Realize
    Witch's Spell

TV Appearances (1976-80)
    Jailbreak - "So It Goes", England
    Rock N' Roll Damnation - "Rockpop", Germany
    Highway to Hell - "Rockpop", Germany
    Touch Too Much - "Top of the Pops", England
    Beating Around the Bush - "Aplauso", Spain

Alternative / Rare Videos
    Can I Sit Next To You, Girl
    It's A Long Way To The Top
    Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
    Shoot to Thrill (Iron Man 2 version)
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: 7seven
    • Jun 25th 2021

Definitely interessted!

Cool. I'll try to get around to uploading this at some stage. The below is what I put on it.
    Generally good quality, apart from the Aplauso track and the rare promo of IALWTTT. I also needed to edit together 2 different videos of HTH on Rockpop in order to get a complete track. Authored with menu's etc.

Classic Videos (1979-80)
    Highway to Hell
    Shot Down in Flames
    Walk All Over You
    Touch Too Much
    If You Want Blood You've Got It
    Hells Bells
    Back in Black
    You Shook Me All Night Long
    Let Me Put My Love Into You
    What Do You Do For Money, Honey
    Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Recent Videos (2014-21)
    Rock or Bust
    Play Ball
    Rock the Blues Away
    Shot in the Dark
    Demon Fire
    Realize
    Witch's Spell

TV Appearances (1976-80)
    Jailbreak - "So It Goes", England
    Rock N' Roll Damnation - "Rockpop", Germany
    Highway to Hell - "Rockpop", Germany
    Touch Too Much - "Top of the Pops", England
    Beating Around the Bush - "Aplauso", Spain

Alternative / Rare Videos
    Can I Sit Next To You, Girl
    It's A Long Way To The Top
    Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
    Shoot to Thrill (Iron Man 2 version)

Can't hardly wait. Thanks for your work and time you put in this!
    • Jun 25th 2021 edited

Just noticed that "AC/DC Portugal" has uploaded the rare 'Nervous Shakedown' video.... just seen it now for the first time ever.

That's gotta be added to the dvd!
    • Jul 2nd 2021

This dvd is literally being uploaded to Mega all day.... 12 hours and counting.... currently at 91%, so it's coming shortly!
    Posted By: fyfe79Just noticed that "AC/DC Portugal" has uploaded the rare 'Nervous Shakedown' video.... just seen it now for the first time ever.

That's a video that benefits a lot from being cleaned up - it's always been VERY dark and dirty, and the wrong pitch as well.

Could've done without the 60 FPS interpolation, though. It's created a distracting flickering effect, plus some artifacts.
    Posted By: fyfe79Just noticed that "AC/DC Portugal" has uploaded the rare 'Nervous Shakedown' video.... just seen it now for the first time ever.

This is cool but I prefer the original studio version to be honest.
    • Jul 8th 2021

Posted By: Brads AC/DC

This is cool but I prefer the original studio version to be honest.

You mean the rehearsal room footage? I guess the band prefered it too as that's the version included on Family Jewels.