[ Sign In | Register ]

At least, Steel Panther is comedy on purpose.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rajd07
    • May 7th 2021 edited

First two albums good. Especially the selftitled debutalbum, which sounds like a different beast from anything else they’ve done. I thought it was generally accepted that TNOTB is the highlight of their career? Invaders is a real good album opener, and a song that isn’t overplayed to death.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • May 7th 2021

I've always liked this Samson song (with Bruce)

Talking about Spinal Tap...
    Posted By: mutt_langes_perm
    INVADERS!!! Pillaging!

GANGLAND!!!! Where the jail birds die!!!

You sure about that mate? TNOTB hasn't really aged well at all compaired to the first two albums. The title track sounds really cartoonish instead of nightmarish, and the corny Run to the Hills was even lampooned by Metallica in '87.

DICKinson is just too operatic/dramatic. Maiden had some punk elements in their sound before Bruce came on board, which gave them more street cred.

It’s not about street cred, it’s about quality of the end product. Di’Anno was severly limited in his capabilities, though arguably great within what output he contributed.

The first album has utter shite production, though it has an all time classic in Phantom of the Opera. Half of Killers is filler....Another Life, Genghis Khan, Prodigal Son, innocent exile etc.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Janonen
    • May 7th 2021

Thankass, which song is that (can't handle Youtube links)? I really like Earth Mother and a few others by Samson.
    •  
    • May 7th 2021

Posted By: JanonenThankass, which song is that (can't handle Youtube links)? I really like Earth Mother and a few others by Samson.
    It's Hard Times
    •  
    • May 7th 2021

The Number of the Beast (song) rocks.
    •  
    • May 7th 2021

Posted By: Thankass
    Posted By: JanonenThankass, which song is that (can't handle Youtube links)? I really like Earth Mother and a few others by Samson.
    It's Hard Times
    Yeah. It was Shock Tactics that I used to listen to.
    Posted By: Badlands66The first album has utter shite production, though it has an all time classic in Phantom of the Opera. Half of Killers is filler....Another Life, Genghis Khan, Prodigal Son, innocent exile etc.

You should give those songs another shot. Genghis Khan is some stellar musicianship just like Transylvania. Prodigal Son has one of Adrian's best solos ever. Innocent Exile, oh man, that main riff is so cool!
    •  
    • May 7th 2021

Transylvania is a terrific, monster of a 'song'.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Goulash
    • May 7th 2021

I find the lyrics to Take It Like A Man by Samson rather disturbing.
    Am I alone in loving all 7 of their 80s records? The first two and the last two represent two very different bands/styles, yet from a quality perspective they're very close IMO. I prefer Di'anno's vocals just a *tiny* bit over Bruce's, but Bruce was much more integral to the songwriting process, and had an incredible voice on his own of course. The sort of operatic style they went for may seem cheesy to some, especially following the grittiness of Di'anno's stuff, but it works just as well for me. Favorite record is a tie between Seventh Son and Killers, which might just be the two most different records from that period.

Regarding the whole spinal tap comparison - I guess? They've got aspects of it, but I don't really see how that's an objectively bad thing. I and many others absolutely adore Rime of the Ancient Mariner, middle section included. Pretension is in the eye of the beholder, as it depends on whether or not you think the music is good. To that end, I think that Maiden's blend of operatic vocals, lengthy, occasionally atmospheric songs, and history/literature based lyrics worked because I think the music was genuinely incredible. A great example of pretension that I would think most can agree on is KISS's the Elder - a very simple rock band of mediocre musicians trying to be all orchestral and absolutely falling on their face.
    I think their peak "epic" song was To Tame A Land because it never got stretched through repetition and every section was stellar writing. I could never get into stuff like Alexander the Great because it didn't have very interesting riffs and just seemed to be padded into an "epic". I'd put most reunion albums above anything between 1986-1992 in fact.
    •  
    • May 8th 2021

I can't believe someone had the balls to criticise Kiss's Music From The Elder album. Apart from the fact I love that album almost as much as I love Unmasked. You're risking the wrath of one of our absent friends who may not know who you are or where you are but he has a certain set of skills.. He will find you and he will kill you!
    •  
    • May 8th 2021 edited

Posted By: GoulashI can't believe someone had the balls to criticise Kiss's Music From The Elder album. Apart from the fact I love that album almost as much as I love Unmasked. You're risking the wrath of one of our absent friends who may not know who you are or where you are but he has a certain set of skills.. He will find you and he will kill you!
    Wasn't The Music From The Elder not the wedding music of the man who is absent and who's name shall not be mentioned?
    •  
    • May 8th 2021

Posted By: GoulashI can't believe someone had the balls to criticise Kiss's Music From The Elder album. Apart from the fact I love that album almost as much as I love Unmasked. You're risking the wrath of one of our absent friends who may not know who you are or where you are but he has a certain set of skills.. He will find you and he will kill you!
    Wasn't The Music From The Elder not the wedding music of the man who is absent and who's name shall not be mentioned?

It was indeed. He entered the church to "Fanfare" and the 1st dance was to "Just A Boy" but don't tell him I've told you.
    •  
    • May 8th 2021

Posted By: Goulash

It was indeed. He entered the church to "Fanfare" and the 1st dance was to "Just A Boy" but don't tell him I've told you.
    My lips are sealed. Just like his, when he kisses the album cover every night before going to bed.
    •  
    • May 8th 2021

Posted By: Goulash

My lips are sealed. Just like his, when he kisses the album cover every night before going to bed.

I've just wet myself :-)
    A World Without Heroes.
    •  
    • May 8th 2021

This song, with Bruce making fun of manager Rod Smallwood, always gave me a good laugh tbh. I'd bought the Wasted Years 12 inch single and found this B side almost as good as the A side (also Reach Out from Adrian was great).

Posted By: Thankass (also Reach Out from Adrian was great).

Tell me H doesn't sound like Bryan Adams on that song though. Right?
    •  
    • May 8th 2021

Posted By: ToiletWallPoet
    Posted By: Thankass(also Reach Out from Adrian was great).

Tell me H doesn't sound like Bryan Adams on that song though. Right?
    He didn't, till you mentioned it now..
    Never been a fan of Maiden and Kiss style of artwork.
    Don't know Di'Ammo.

But my little brother was, with Eddie patches
    on jacket,
    7th Son sticker at his chamber door.

Middle brother was more diverse into Motörhead,
    Dio and Anthrax.

Me never ever would have come to the idea,
    buying an Iron Maiden recording.
    Dickinson's voice was to much into opera, than metal.
    Horrifying terrible the tune ladder up and down.
    Too diverse, might point to multiple personalities inside him.
    Being a turnament single swordsman might need to meet him as opponent,
    not "friend", buddy or member of a legion.

Of course one can say f*kkers to audience,
    but needs situation and how.
    Blunt directly straight between the eyes, of course is,
    nicely spoken not very amusing,
    except one is a Brexiteer and in Scottland on enemy ground.

From the interims singer of Mayday Maiden I stumbled
    some years ago via Mss Doro Pesch on YT
    performing 'Fear of the Dark' .
    That singer seems not have as artistic vocal cords,
    as Dickinson has.
    It's much deeper. But frankly, are deep voices
    not a sign of masculinity ?
    Dickinson's nickname shall "Air Raid Siren" be.

RadioBOB! occassionally plays Maiden,
    am remembering Run to the Hills, Fear of the Dark,
    and probably some others in lesser frequency.
    But seems only stuff of the 80/early90s Dickinson.

Now growing older, I am starting to accept Dickinson,
    but could probably stand only three songs in a streak.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Ian Sane
    • Jun 4th 2021

I love Iron Maiden, right up there with AC/DC for me.
    For me, "Powerslave" is their best album, but they're all great through to "Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son".
    I like a lot of the later stuff too.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Zan
    • Jun 4th 2021

Iron Maiden rocks and Bruce Dickinson is the man, that's all I can say to you people who criticize one of the greatest bands and frontmen on Earth.
    Posted By: ZanIron Maiden rocks and Bruce Dickinson is the man, that's all I can say to you people who criticize one of the greatest bands and frontmen on Earth.

I certainly didnt criticise the band. I loved maiden in the 80s and seen them many times live.
    I just made an opinion about Bruce Dickinson ( who I did meet) and lots of people agreed with me
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Zan
    • Jun 4th 2021

Posted By: Davidceltic
    Posted By: ZanIron Maiden rocks and Bruce Dickinson is the man, that's all I can say to you people who criticize one of the greatest bands and frontmen on Earth.

I certainly didnt criticise the band. I loved maiden in the 80s and seen them many times live.
    I just made an opinion about Bruce Dickinson ( who I did meet) and lots of people agreed with me

I’m not attacking anything you said or anything in specific mentioned in the thread. I just wanted to highlight that Maiden and Bruce kicks ass.
    Quite a few rockstars seem to be jerks, but I don’t mind that if they do a good show.
    I see the flag shagging, right wing, Tory shitbag is back in the news today.

This time moaning about the effects Brexit has had on the touring musician.

The brass balls of the bloke are something else, he was a fully paid up Brexit chest beater!

You voted for it Bruce. You entitled twat.
    I've read a lot of posts about Bruce being a twat, Brexit voter and so on. I wonder: Does noone have anything nice to say about Bruce as a person, not as singer, performer, pilot, fencer or whatever, but as a person? Is he really always a jerk??
    • AC/DC rock music: nimeta
    • Jun 28th 2021

This was foreseen. I was at a Steve Hackett gig a couple of years back and he forwarded of this to the crowd, telling how difficult touring was for Genesis before the EU free labour movement legislation made things easier.

Interesting, Elton John was in the news over the weekend saying how harmful this is to the industry as a whole (not to him...he acknowledged he has people filling in all the bullshit forms for him...but concerned about others) and his quote was that the UK government thinks its ok to "lie every minute of the fucking day"

Boris won't care of course....he knows he gets away with it time and again. Basically he effectively came to power peddling lies....why stop now?
    Wait, I thought the only country that had controversial politics was the USA???
    He seemed more or less alright when he was on christmas university challenge a couple of years back. Thick as fuck, but alright.
    • AC/DC rock music: jonnya
    • Jun 29th 2021

"Paul Bruce Dickinson was born on 7 August 1958 in Worksop, Nottinghamshire.[1] His mother, Sonia, worked part-time in a shoe shop, and his father, Bruce, was a mechanic in the British Army.[2]" - yeah fucking entitled twat! two parents who both worked; shit! would he be less entitled if his parents fucked each other and then couldnt make it work and then not bother having a job to support him?

In my almost no experience of him personally i didnt take to him, but he has many talents and a drive to succeed that is way more impressive than mine!
    •  
    • Jun 29th 2021

Posted By: jonnya"Paul Bruce Dickinson was born on 7 August 1958 in Worksop, Nottinghamshire.[1] His mother, Sonia, worked part-time in a shoe shop, and his father, Bruce, was a mechanic in the British Army.[2]" - yeah fucking entitled twat! two parents who both worked; shit! would he be less entitled if his parents fucked each other and then couldnt make it work and then not bother having a job to support him?

In my almost no experience of him personally i didnt take to him, but he has many talents and a drive to succeed that is way more impressive than mine!

I think he's amazingly talented but my experiences are that he's not a very nice person.
    Would I go to see him perform? Yes I would and indeed I do. Would I like to have him in my circle of friends? Nah, I don't think so.
    Bruce isn't alone in being a talented arsehole... ask Brian about Chuck Berry.
    Posted By: soulstripper666I've read a lot of posts about Bruce being a twat, Brexit voter and so on. I wonder: Does noone have anything nice to say about Bruce as a person, not as singer, performer, pilot, fencer or whatever, but as a person? Is he really always a jerk??

I think as with many things, you'll find that those with a chip on their shoulder will find any excuse and gather anecdotes to make somebody look bad, whereas normal people won't have anything to say because they don't judge people they don't know personally. I certainly don't agree with his politics if he is a Tory, but it would be absurd to think I could judge his character as a person from some anecdotes I've heard through the grapevine.

Maybe like most people he is a complex human being who has bad days and good days and doesn't always appreciate being treated like a public spectacle while going about his daily life? I don't know the actual circumstances of these anecdotes so I don't give them very much worth.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DustDevil
    • Jun 29th 2021

I've met Bruce a couple of times. He seemed OK to me, but I'm a cunt.
    Posted By: DustDevilI've met Bruce a couple of times. He seemed OK to me, but I'm a cunt.

Dusty dont be so hard on yourself
    •  
    • Jun 30th 2021

Posted By: DustDevilI've met Bruce a couple of times. He seemed OK to me, but I'm a cunt.

Nah mate, a cunt's useful :-)
    •  
    • Jun 30th 2021 edited

Posted By: ToiletWallPoet
    Posted By: soulstripper666I've read a lot of posts about Bruce being a twat, Brexit voter and so on. I wonder: Does noone have anything nice to say about Bruce as a person, not as singer, performer, pilot, fencer or whatever, but as a person? Is he really always a jerk??

I think as with many things, you'll find that those with a chip on their shoulder will find any excuse and gather anecdotes to make somebody look bad, whereas normal people won't have anything to say because they don't judge people they don't know personally. I certainly don't agree with his politics if he is a Tory, but it would be absurd to think I could judge his character as a person from some anecdotes I've heard through the grapevine.

Maybe like most people he is a complex human being who has bad days and good days and doesn't always appreciate being treated like a public spectacle while going about his daily life? I don't know the actual circumstances of these anecdotes so I don't give them very much worth.

I totally agree. I take people as I find them and I find Bruce to be an arrogant arsehole. Maybe on the dozen or so times I've been in his company he was having off days but, as a mathematician, I find the probability of that being the case to be rather slim.
    I've experienced him away from pestering fans and haven't found him to be any more pleasant.
    If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then it's probably a duck... If he acts like a dick and talks like a dick then he's probably a dick.
    Like I say, I admire and respect his talents but not his personality.
    Liam Gallagher is a dickhead but he's a rock n roll dickhead. Bruce is just a dickhead.