[ Sign In | Register ]

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

I've been doing this for 20 years and I know I'll never settle on a permanent ranking. It's a thorny one because they're ALL fucking masterpieces - all absolute classics. So here's mine as of April 2021.

EOMS
    LIB
    BB
    SF
    Exile
    Fingers
    Bleed
    Beggars

None less than 9.5/10
    Still largely unfamiliar with Exile. Just haven't gotten around to it quite yet. The rest I know pretty well.

Sticky Fingers - I could do without Dead Flowers, the rest is perfect. Easy top spot for me. Sister Morphine, Sway, Can't You Hear Me Knockin.. brilliance.
    Let It Bleed - Would've preferred them to just put Honky Tonk Woman on there instead of the country version, but otherwise close to perfect.

Beggar's Banquet - Too blatantly rootsy at times for my personal taste. I get that that was the point following Their Satanic Majesty's, but it just doesn't work for me. Still, the obvious standout tracks are great.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rajd07
    • Apr 16th 2021

All great but Exile is their number 1 imo.
    Sticky Fingers
    Let it Bleed (might have been #1 if they had included the proper version of Honk Tonk Women)
    Exile on Main Street (A bit of filler, and the production is a step down from the excellent sounding SF)
    Beggars Banquet
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Apr 16th 2021 edited

- Exile; so divers, from R&R barnstormers (Rocks off, Rip this joint, All Down The Line) to perfect country songs (Sweet Virginia, Torn and Frayed), blues and soul. With a very loose and sometimes sloppy performance this is The Stones at their best.
    - Sticky Fingers; Close call with Exile. Sway, Knocking, Brown, Sister, Dead. All classics. Maybe my most played Stones album
    - Let It Bleed; Also some classics but a little less than nr 1 and 2. Gimme Shelter is probably bigger than the album itself. Midnight Rambler a barnstormer live. Great
    - Beggars Banquet; Close call with LIB but just a little less classic. No Expectations, Stray Cat Blues and of course Devil are most favorit
    •  
    • Apr 16th 2021

Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinI could do without Dead Flowers
    This one was always a personal favorit. Maybe because it's very fun to play on guitar. Nothing beats this live version. Mick Taylor is God.

Waddaye know, ol Dave and Mick havin’ a go. Dave seems to be everybodys best friend these days.
    1. Let it Bleed
    2. Beggars Banquet
    3. Exile on Main Street
    4. Sticky Fingers

Love Honky Tonk on LIB, Country style and all. Jamming With Edward is a great little bootleg/album as well. Captures the essence of the band nicely between LIB and SF. Also love the Ry Cooder influence on the band.
    • AC/DC rock music: JCDC
    • Apr 16th 2021

EXILE all the way. its the Stones' Powerage.
    Not only is Exile the sound of all their influences colliding, even this outtake released years later from the vaults is utterly wonderful (IMHO)

1. Sticky Fingers
    2. Exile
    3. Let It Bleed
    4. Beggars Banquet

Next up for me is Goats Head Soup. That album is way underrated. I think it's an easy pick for #5.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Gaolbreak
    • Apr 16th 2021

Exile is definitely #1.
    And Beggars is definitely #4.
    Fingers and Bleed have been flipping between #2 and #3 on regular basis for 30 years for me.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Apr 17th 2021

My order would change almost daily. There are so many moods in there, and so much to take and listen to on each song that it’s pointless me trying!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Zan
    • Apr 17th 2021

I actually think Exile is enhanced by the filler and sloppy production. It makes for a very loose and natural sounding album.
    SF and LIB I hold sort of equal.
    BB not as high as the other 3 but still very good.
    Sticky Fingers is the album I have gone to.
    Posted By: ZanI actually think Exile is enhanced by the filler and sloppy production. It makes for a very loose and natural sounding album.

There was some documentary I saw on the making of that album. They rented a house in France on a lake. They used the 'mobile recording' studio referenced in Deep Purple's Smoke on the Water. A lot of hangers-on and random people kept showing up when they wanted to record. They were also using a lot of smack at the time.
    Posted By: ShootToThrill1. Sticky Fingers
    2. Exile
    3. Let It Bleed
    4. Beggars Banquet

Next up for me is Goats Head Soup. That album is way underrated. I think it's an easy pick for #5.

100% this.
    Good taste! :)
    My fav RS is Steel Wheels!
    Posted By: CliffFINmark2My fav RS is Steel Wheels!

Are you sure it's not Dirty Work?
    Exile On Main Street
    Sticky Fingers
    Let It Bleed
    Beggars Banquet

It’s a remarkably close contest, can’t get a fag paper between ‘em.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Apr 23rd 2021

Spent a lot of time with these four albums this week off the back of this thread.

I still don't know.
    Posted By: mutt_langes_perm

No It is Steel Wheels. Bills last hurrah
    Posted By: CliffFINmark2
    Posted By: mutt_langes_perm

No It is Steel Wheels. Bills last hurrah

Yeah, and Charlie didn't even play on Dirty Work.
    • AC/DC rock music: 44
    • Apr 23rd 2021

I consider them all to be perfect 10/10 albums. Maybe Let It Bleed is the best one but it's very difficult to put them in order

I’m not falling for that
    Posted By: BillyBollocks

I’m not falling for that

But It is true. Like TRE has a special place in my heart as It was the first ACDC album I had, Steel Wheels was the first RS album I owned and I prefer It over any I have heard since
    •  
    • Apr 24th 2021

I’m not falling for that

But It is true. Like TRE has a special place in my heart as It was the first ACDC album I had, Steel Wheels was the first RS album I owned and I prefer It over any I have heard since
    You just got to know the Stones with the wrong album.
    Posted By: Thankass

I’m not falling for that

You just got to know the Stones with the wrong album.

But It is a great album; Mixed Emitions, Rock&a hard place, slipping away, terryfying... Amazing!
    Posted By: CliffFINmark2But It is a great album; Mixed Emitions, Rock&a hard place, slipping away, terryfying... Amazing!

Slipping Away is fantastic.

As far as later albums are concerned, I've always loved 'One Hit (To the Body)' from Dirty Work. Keith's guitar is amazing. Guitar solo by Jimmy Page.

I never thought I’d see the day someone would call songs off Steel Wheels amazing :)

That was the first tour (Urban Jungle) I saw the Stones on though, they were in good form even if Jagger looked like a teacher let loose in a shit clothes shop

Midnight Rambler was the highlight each night on the three shows I saw
    So whats wrong with Steel Wheels? I think It is a great album, I really do!
    Posted By: CliffFINmark2So whats wrong with Steel Wheels? I think It is a great album, I really do!

To be fair, weren’t you the chap who liked Kiss?
    Posted By: CliffFINmark2So whats wrong with Steel Wheels? I think It is a great album, I really do!

Well mine was an honest question, you answered with a insult’ish

But dont mind, happy to say that I like KISS, the Razors Edge, Chris Slade and light beer. Think Powerage is Average. Dislike songs about mens genitals like HAAR (terrible yack)
    ^Female genitals?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Zan
    • Apr 25th 2021 edited

I'm no expert in the band dynamics of the Stones, but I've always had the impression that Mick Jagger takes total control sometime in the mid 70's, which is the reason that most of their albums post-Goats Head Soup sucks balls.
    • AC/DC rock music: Ron
    • Apr 25th 2021

Spent last summer with Exile on heavy rotation. I'll put that first. Can't choose between the other three. All of them have unarguable classics on them.

Well mine was an honest question, you answered with a insult’ish

But dont mind, happy to say that I like KISS, the Razors Edge, Chris Slade and light beer. Think Powerage is Average. Dislike songs about mens genitals like HAAR (terrible yack)

Were you dropped on your loaf as a child or something?
    Tom I know you like songs with male fallos innuendo, but not being up your alley, does not justify to say that someone is a retard.