[ Sign In | Register ]

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Gaolbreak
    • Feb 27th 2021

Jerry Harrison briefly talks about being at Compass Point recording "Remain In Light" in the next studio to the boys recording Back In Black.
    Skip to the 11 minute mark.

Wow. Arguably the two greatest albums of the 80s were recorded in such close proximity - amazing.
    •  
    • Feb 27th 2021

Surprised me too, it never crossed my mind those albums were being recorded at the same place at the same time. 1980 was such a great year for music.
    Posted By: Alex LebanonWow. Arguably the two greatest albums of the 80s were recorded in such close proximity - amazing.

This is fantastic. RIL is a huge, huge album for me.
    Back in Black was recorded in April and May, 1980 (six weeks in total I believe?)

Remain in Light was recorded in July and August, 1980 (they started in the Bahamas, but finished in Philadelphia).

The timelines don't match up.
    Posted By: mutt_langes_permBack in Black was recorded in April and May, 1980 (six weeks in total I believe?)

Mind-blowing when you consider Bon died on February 19.
    •  
    • Jan 11th 2022

Finished reading Chris Frantz’s “Remain In Love”. He should have called his book “More Stories About Buildings and Food”, so strong was his desire to tell the reader about all the hotels he’d stayed and meals he’d eaten over the years. Anyway, he briefly touches on being at Compass Point with AC/DC. Like Jerry his lasting impression seems to be that of Brian working hard.

“It was so sweet to be back at Compass Point. A second studio, Studio B, had been built and that’s where we set up. Studio B was brand new and the Jamaican Chinese studio designer Chow, who designed all of the Island Records studios, was on hand to make sure there were no problems. AC/DC was in Studio A with Mutt Lange recording Back in Black. Malcolm, Angus, Cliff, and Phil were lovely guys and this was their first recording with their new lead singer, Brian Johnson, after the death of Bon Scott. Brian had to take a break after screeching each line or he’d develop a migraine. He was under a lot of pressure as the new guy and when he signed on he didn’t know he would be expected not only to sing but also to write the lyrics. He did a fantastic job. Back in Black became the third best selling album of all time.”

On another note, there were some interesting tales from the 1977 European tour with the Ramones.
    Posted By: GaolbreakHe was under a lot of pressure as the new guy and when he signed on he didn’t know he would be expected not only to sing but also to write the lyrics. He did a fantastic job. Back in Black became the third best selling album of all time.”

What?? We all know that all Brian had to do was singing lyrics lifted directly from from Bon's notebooks! (with some exceptions like Chartrause eyes swapped for sight-less eyes.)

(I'm being ironic if anyone missed that.)