[ Sign In | Register ]

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Meanstreak
    • Jan 18th 2021 edited

This sound and playing is completely unreal. I don't why the video was downvoted 10 times. He plays the chorus more intensively than on the studio version and it's not that easy on first listen to copy what he does there.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Zan
    • Jan 18th 2021

His tone is absolutely incredible. The guitar only distorts when he hits it hard, but it's still so much heavier than most other guitarists who use a lot of distortion.

It must be very difficult to first of all dial in the right tone, and then play it with the same sense of dynamics as he had.
    So good

Didn’t realise he was doing those extra notes on the chorus’s. Magician
    • AC/DC rock music: savsav
    • Jan 18th 2021

I could listen to this all day
    Posted By: savsavI could listen to this all day

I seldom agree with a poster as much as with you now.

Legend, so so good
    He was at his most distorted on that tour, and he really sounded massive.
    Posted By: ToiletWallPoetHe was at his most distorted on that tour, and he really sounded massive.

It's definitely up there, but I think he sounds even more distorted here
    I wish this was possible for more eras of the band.Absolutely love being able to hear them isolated like this. I would kill to hear some like this from say '81 or so.

This is great stuff though,he did sound great in '91.
    I'll be damned Mati,you posted that T.N.T. at the same time I was making my previous post, was thinking of that particular version of T.N.T. as a song I'd love to hear isolated. Mal sounds absolutely nasty as he is chops along...love it.
    Posted By: nitroangus23I'll be damned Mati,you posted that T.N.T. at the same time I was making my previous post, was thinking of that particular version of T.N.T. as a song I'd love to hear isolated. Mal sounds absolutely nasty as he is chops along...love it.

Gotcha!
    Posted By: matirocker
    Posted By: ToiletWallPoetHe was at his most distorted on that tour, and he really sounded massive.

It's definitely up there, but I think he sounds even more distorted here

True, he was pretty distorted from '82-'85. The Mesa Boogie gave him more of a punchy sound that I really liked in 1991.
    ^That was 1981. Also there's some bootlegs from the 70s where he had a super distorted sound aswell. TRE tour was probably the most distorted he ever was from that point on, tho
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Jan 19th 2021 edited

Great listen. Bit weird he plays that extra A note at the start of the chorus lick. He punches it 2 times. Feels a bit off in the timing. But if you hear the total song you don't notice it.
    Malcolm's tone on the FTATR your is still my favorite. Pure badass tone. Spellbound said he got his Pickups rewinded to achieve more bite/grit.

The intro in FTATR at Largo is fantastic sounding (also due to Mutt's production of course)
    •  
    • Jan 19th 2021

This is also great: Malcolm's isolated part of Heatseeker at Donington:

You can really hear him banging the strings.
    • Jan 19th 2021

Posted By: CliffFINmark2
    Posted By: savsavI could listen to this all day

I seldom agree with a poster as much as with you now.

Legend, so so good

Yes, a true legend . I spend a lot of time with just with my left ear headset on. Especially listening to the album IYWB. Mal's playing and tone are just stunning
    • AC/DC rock music: Gilly
    • Jan 19th 2021

Mal's tone peaked when he used the Mesa's and had the stop tail piece. His tone just didn't have the same bite and growl after.
    Posted By: ThankassGreat listen. Bit weird he plays that extra A note at the start of the chorus lick. He punches it 2 times. Feels a bit off in the timing. But if you hear the total song you don't notice it..

My guess is that it’s because he’s singing in the chorus, and the word “Bells” is on beat 1 (which is where that extra A is)
    Bit of a tricky co-ordination, when there are notes just before and just after that “Bells” lyric;
    But as you say, it’s not really noticeable in the context of the whole song.
    This is fantastic. Quite a few little bits I've not noticed before. Is there any other isolated Malcolm tracks?
    Posted By: ThankassGreat listen. Bit weird he plays that extra A note at the start of the chorus lick. He punches it 2 times. Feels a bit off in the timing. But if you hear the total song you don't notice it.
    Malcolm's tone on the FTATR your is still my favorite. Pure badass tone. Spellbound said he got his Pickups rewinded to achieve more bite/grit.

The intro in FTATR at Largo is fantastic sounding (also due to Mutt's production of course)

It was done prior to FTATR tour. If you listen to Tokyo 81 - is tone is SEARING there, especially in the intro to rocker. His sound became noticeably more distorted and grainy throughout the 80s - to the point of sounding kinda bad by 86-88.

91; and 80-82 is almost perfection. Could listen to this for days.
    • Jan 19th 2021

Posted By: SpellboundHis sound became noticeably more distorted and grainy throughout the 80s - to the point of sounding kinda bad by 86-88.

91; and 80-82 is almost perfection. Could listen to this for days.

Agreed. The beast also became too soft when he added back the original burns tail piece IMO.
    Posted By: elliottfloydThis is fantastic. Quite a few little bits I've not noticed before. Is there any other isolated Malcolm tracks?

All of them from Live at Donington
    I don’t think the issue is the Burns - Malcolm’s tone was incredible when he had it in the 70s, and Stevie made it work during the Coachella gigs very, very well. That problem is down to amps/mixing.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: jonalba
    • Jan 19th 2021

Proof that Mal is in fact the Power in Powerage.
    • Jan 19th 2021

Posted By: SpellboundI don’t think the issue is the Burns - Malcolm’s tone was incredible when he had it in the 70s, and Stevie made it work during the Coachella gigs very, very well. That problem is down to amps/mixing.

It all plays a part, but I suspect Mal was using slightly thinner gauge strings than the 12s used in more recent tours as well. Mesa's Simul 295 power amp used both EL34 and 6l6 tubes simultaneously - definitely playing a huge part in the 91 tone.
    • Jan 19th 2021

Posted By: jonalbaProof that Mal is in fact the Power in Powerage.

Word

•  
    • Jan 19th 2021

Posted By: ThankassGreat listen. Bit weird he plays that extra A note at the start of the chorus lick. He punches it 2 times. Feels a bit off in the timing. But if you hear the total song you don't notice it.

It's really interesting that he would change up a classic song that much. Because it's definitely deliberate although the timing is tough to pull off.

Mutt produced Largo? Or you mean the album?

Posted By: Gilly
    It all plays a part, but I suspect Mal was using slightly thinner gauge strings than the 12s used in more recent tours as well. Mesa's Simul 295 power amp used both EL34 and 6l6 tubes simultaneously - definitely playing a huge part in the 91 tone.

That makes a lot of sense; 6L6s are very bright and punchy tubes. I think I made my Mal tone patch with 6L6 emulation because EL34s just couldn't get the bite and punch needed.
    Call me crazy but I always loved the tone Malcolm and Angus got on TRE tour even though it’s not their “traditional” amps.
    •  
    • Jan 20th 2021

Posted By: ToiletWallPoetMutt produced Largo? Or you mean the album?
    Mutt produced the songs from Largo that were used for offical releases on b -side singles. So at least LTBR, TNT and BIB. They have exactly the same sound as on video.

The other songs that were only used for video promo; LGIU, PTFOY, HTH and FTATR have the same sound as the released b-sides so they have been worked by Mutt also.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Moh
    • Jan 20th 2021

Posted By: Gilly
    Posted By: jonalbaProof that Mal is in fact the Power in Powerage.

Word

Pure magic!
    • Jan 20th 2021

Posted By: Thankass
    Mutt produced the songs from Largo that were used for offical releases on b -side singles. So at least LTBR, TNT and BIB. They have exactly the same sound as on video.

I absolutely loved these versions of LTBR and BIB. My dad must have told me to TURN IT DOWN a thousand times back in the good old days!
    He's so fucking percussive, I love it!
    Posted By: Thankass

The other songs that were only used for video promo; LGIU, PTFOY, HTH and FTATR have the same sound as the released b-sides so they have been worked by Mutt also.

Wow, that is cool as hell and I had no idea. Gotta go back and listen again.
    Around 3:20 you can hear were they spliced the tape. Makes you wonder how much is edited on this album.
    Posted By: BonneedsPenicillinAround 3:20 you can hear were they spliced the tape. Makes you wonder how much is edited on this album.

I think that's a result of the editing done to isolate Malcolm's track, because it only happens for the solo, where Ang gets mixed to the center so it's more difficult to remove. You can hear it again in the outro when Angus starts soling again.

Also, from what we've heard, they don't even edit the rhythm tracks much for studio albums. Nobody would notice Mal making a mistake unless it was big. Angus, on the other hand, is the center of attention (and Brian too). Just look at how none of us noticed he changed the chorus until we heard this.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Zan
    • Jan 22nd 2021

Posted By: BonneedsPenicillinAround 3:20 you can hear were they spliced the tape. Makes you wonder how much is edited on this album.

For a big budget live album like this, certainly there has been some editing.
    Apparently the Donington version of Hell's Bells is not featured on the Live album from the same era. It's from Northland Coliseum in Edmonton.
    Wikipedia features this disclaimer for the "AC/DC Live" album.

"Disclaimer: guitar and vocal overdubs were added during post-production, so the original audio (found on bootlegs) will be slightly different from the album version. The recordings from the dates listed below were used as a basis before being edited. These dates are not listed in the album booklet and were confirmed by fans synchronizing bootlegs with the album."

https://en.wikipedia...

I'd say it's fair to assume that the whole Donington show was edited in a similar way.
    All of Angus's guitar solo's were live, no over dubs on live at Donington according to the engineer.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: benji
    • Jan 23rd 2021

Posted By: BonneedsPenicillinAll of Angus's guitar solo's were live, no over dubs on live at Donington according to the engineer.

Fire Your Guns solo says hi

I believe the original solo is on the VHS version though.
    Posted By: BonneedsPenicillinAll of Angus's guitar solo's were live, no over dubs on live at Donington according to the engineer.

Mal’s right hand is amazingly percussive.