[ Sign In | Register ]

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Meanstreak
    • Dec 23rd 2020 edited

The world lost one of the great guitar heroes. Very powerful voice as well. https://www.rollings...

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Toast
    • Dec 23rd 2020

Rest in peace Les.

Amazing work on Whos Next Record Plant session tracks.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Goulash
    • Dec 23rd 2020

Saw Mountain supporting Deep Purple at Knebworth in 1985 and they were excellent.
    RIP Mr West
    Leslie West, I think, was one of Angus' big guitar influences.
    Leslie at 19.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Zan
    • Dec 24th 2020

For all of us who grew up in the 00’s, Mississippi Queen was a staple song in Guitar Hero for Playstation. Really introduced them to a new audience, and they were a huge influence on the stoner rock bands here in Sweden..

RIP.
    Big loss for sure, amazing guitar player and great singer too. Those Mountain records were fantastic.
    • AC/DC rock music: 71SG
    • Dec 24th 2020

1st gig I ever went to at The Royal Court in Liverpool was Night Of The Guitars. My dad kept saying wait till Leslie West comes on. Blew me away. Came on playing the theme tune to Close Encounters Of The Third Kind on his headless Steinberg guitar. That solo Angus does on Jailbreak at Donington is very Leslie West where he does the violining effect by rolling the volume back and forth on his guitar. You can hear Leslie's influences in everybody from Schenker to Zakk Wilde. Awesome player.Perfect example of less is more. RIP
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Goulash
    • Dec 24th 2020 edited

Posted By: 71SG1st gig I ever went to at The Royal Court in Liverpool was Night Of The Guitars. My dad kept saying wait till Leslie West comes on. Blew me away. Came on playing the theme tune to Close Encounters Of The Third Kind on his headless Steinberg guitar. That solo Angus does on Jailbreak at Donington is very Leslie West where he does the violining effect by rolling the volume back and forth on his guitar. You can hear Leslie's influences in everybody from Schenker to Zakk Wilde. Awesome player.Perfect example of less is more. RIP

Sounds like we're neighbours. I saw Ozzy at the Royal Court in 1982
    • Dec 25th 2020

Sounds like we're neighbours. I saw Ozzy at the Royal Court in 1982

IYeah I live in Little Sutton on Wirral, originally from Bromborough.. Second gig that I saw at the Court was Rory Gallagher on the Defender tour. The only gig I ever went to at the Empire was BB King, that was a great one as were the others. Think it was the Royal court where The Beastie Boys got into all that trouble with papers for starting riot. Ozzy at The Royal Court, would be lucky if he ever played Liverpool now even without covid. Mad how they stopped having bands at the Royal Court, it was a great place.
    Posted By: ZanFor all of us who grew up in the 00’s, Mississippi Queen was a staple song in Guitar Hero for Playstation. Really introduced them to a new audience, and they were a huge influence on the stoner rock bands here in Sweden..

RIP.
    GH3 is probably one of the main reasons I was so attracted to Back in Black when I heard it on the radio. The game primed me for rock music at a very young age I guess. Mississippi Queen, Welcome to the Jungle, Slow Ride, School’s Out, Paranoid, One.... a great game.
    Still gutted. One of my favourite guitar players. Such a depth, so much texture in his playing. And this immense tone of his guitar! Fortunately, he left so many great songs. Its been mostly Mr. Leslie West for me the last 2 days. RIP
    One of my top ranked guitar players as well. Great tone, phrasing and vibrato. Great feel. He also had balls, as Malcolm would have said.
    • Dec 26th 2020

Always thought Smash and Grab sounded like Alligator era Leslie West. Just the harmonized guitar sound on S+G not the the whole song. My old man has Flowers of Evil on vinyl, remember him playing me the live side when I first got into the guitar, that solo he does with Roll Over Beethoven in it is epic. As I got more into playing the guitar I realised that you didn't have to play lightening fast to be good. Leslie was the perfect example of that. Played with two fingers and got the most out of a single note and string. I loved VH and Hendrix and Beck, but as a player I was more interested in the Bluesy stuff like Leslie, Angus, Gallagher. I was listening to UFO's Obsession album yesterday and you can hear Leslie's influence on Schenker all over that album, Pack it Up and Go comes to mind. What a criminally under rated player, even Townshend wanted him in the who at one point. Check out the Who's Next Record Plant Sessions with Leslie on lead.
    Posted By: MeanstreakOne of my top ranked guitar players as well. Great tone, phrasing and vibrato. Great feel. He also had balls, as Malcolm would have said.

Yes, he had this extra special thing that set him apart. One of my favourite songs, this one.
    •  
    • Dec 28th 2020 edited

Showcases Leslie West's playing very well in the style of his playing particularly on Mississippi Queen.

Mississippi Queen is 2 minutes and 30 seconds long. I don't remember anyone ever complaining about the length of that song. Great cowbell too.
    Part 2. I cannot vouch enough for early Mountain. M
    •  
    • Dec 29th 2020

Posted By: mutt_langes_permMississippi Queen is 2 minutes and 30 seconds long. I don't remember anyone ever complaining about the length of that song. Great cowbell too.

Great point.
    Did some digging for some stuff on Angus and Leslie West:

Some quotes from AC/DC: Maximum Rock & Roll, by Engleheart and Durieux (revised edition).

p. 40:

‘With that weekly pay packet, Angus decided to take the step up and get a new guitar from Chord Music in Burwood ... a Gibson SG was what he had dreamt of owning ... he snapped up the remaining Gibson SG, which was the guitar of choice of his heroes such as Mountain’s Leslie West ...’.

p. 42 (on Angus’s band Kantuckee):

‘He would grab about 10 albums a week ... learn everything on them and then somehow take them back (to the record store) and get more. The sole criterion was anything that had good strong guitar riffs. For that reason, songs by Mountain, (etc.) ... all made appearances in their sets’.

p. 44 (quote of Kim Humphreys, a friend of the band Kantuckee):

‘He was probably more flashy then than he is now, because of the sort of things he was listening to. He really liked Jeff Beck and he also liked Paul Kossoff from Free. [Mountain’s] Leslie West was one of his favourite guitar players.

‘I’ve still got a really early Guitar Player magazine that Angus loaned me that’s got Leslie West on the cover – I never gave it back to him. That’s where I think he got that really distinctive vibrato from, Leslie West’.
    •  
    • Dec 31st 2020

That's really awesome CantEvenFeedMyCat!! What a great post!

Going back listening to Mountain whilst knowing this, you hear it straight away. It's almost like a ground zero of sorts for Angus guitar playing. Even the opening riff from Mississippi Queen gives it away.
    •  
    • Dec 31st 2020 edited

Yes, great find. What marks both Leslie and Angus are their distinct tone, masterful vibrato, sense of time, economy and phrasing.
    Listen to the song he performs in the end. Phenomenal.