[ Sign In | Register ]

•  
      AC/DC rock music: jonalba
    • Oct 23rd 2020

Posted By: Leroy_KincaidJaney Needs A Shooter rules.
    It doesn't have this great guitar lead the rehearsal version from '79 had, but it copies it otherwise (not at all sounding like the early '70s piano demo).
    I like the album but for House Of A Thousand Guitars, which is not a guitar song ironically.
    It's a good album and I could listen to Janey over and over,
    but it's no Wild, Innocent and E Street Shuffle or Darkness.
    But it's overall solid, just 2-3 weak songs,
    which isn't a bad ratio.
    But regarding AC/DC, it doesn't really have any connection or relation to the upcoming album that I can see.
    Only problem with the album is that song Ghosts being stolen in the verses from Steve Earle's I Ain't Ever Satisfied. I like it more than Earle's original song, but Earle should have at LEAST gotten co-credit for Ghosts.

To be fair, when I started this thread, nothing about Power Up had been announced, so that was more referring to what AC/DC could put out.

I think this album has a lot of shades of Darkness/Promise era Bruce in it, truthfully. It's not as strong as an album as is, but there are elements there. Especially Roy.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Oct 23rd 2020

Roy and Max are the stars.
    •  
    • Oct 23rd 2020

RIG (in Bruce cannon).

He's amazing on this record. Particularly in Janey and Letter To You.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DustDevil
    • Oct 23rd 2020

Got it on now. Three tracks in, great stuff so far!
    • AC/DC rock music: Balder
    • Oct 23rd 2020

Who the fuck is Springsteen and does he belong in this forum? ;)
    •  
    • Oct 24th 2020

The movie is just as beautiful as the record. I was bawling at the end....and one minute in.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Oct 27th 2020

I have never "got" Springsteen, but off the back of jonalba's recommendations gave this a spin while running this morning.

Really enjoyed it on first listen!
    •  
    • Oct 27th 2020

Posted By: azelI have never "got" Springsteen, but off the back of jonalba's recommendations gave this a spin while running this morning.

Happy to hear that! What did you like?
    I’m not sure if the lyrics this time around are quite as strong as in the past.
    Plus Rainmaker is a weird friggin’ track.
    •  
    • Oct 27th 2020

Posted By: Badlands66I’m not sure if the lyrics this time around are quite as strong as in the past.
    Plus Rainmaker is a weird friggin’ track.

What do you find strange about it? I think it's fairly straightforward in what it's about
    •  
    • Oct 27th 2020

Posted By: jonalba
    Posted By: azelI have never "got" Springsteen, but off the back of jonalba's recommendations gave this a spin while running this morning.

So I started at the beginning of a run, so track names passed me by a bit, but I would say it gripped me from about song 5 onwards, with the second half of the album feeling much stronger than the first.
    That could have been my ears tuning in to the vibe of it all. There were a couple of standouts, that I will identify on tomorrow's run!!

I know one of them was called "A thousand guitars" or at least I think so, he repeated the tag line once for every one of the sodding things! ;)
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Toast
    • Oct 27th 2020

New record is growing on me, listened three times now
    Posted By: TryioToastNew record is growing on me

You may want to see a doctor about that.
    •  
    • Oct 27th 2020

Posted By: mutt_langes_perm
    Posted By: TryioToastNew record is growing on me

You may want to see a doctor about that.

Haha, been trying my best to get into Bruce - I prefer more aggro songwriting i.e Townshend - it is a solid effort so far, can see it picking up awards
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DrBelford
    • Oct 27th 2020

Posted By: mutt_langes_permYou may want to see a doctor about that.

Hearing somebody is in need of a doctor? XD
    •  
    • Oct 27th 2020

Posted By: DrBelford

Oh god, not DRBELFORD!!!!!!
    •  
    • Oct 27th 2020

Posted By: TryioToast
    Posted By: DrBelford

Oh god, not DRBELFORD!!!!!!

BOL!

I see my reputation precedes me!

But I assure I'm a trusted professional that was able to hone his craft under the sharp eyes of Dr Nick Riviera XD
    •  
    • Oct 27th 2020

Posted By: azel
    Posted By: jonalba

So I started at the beginning of a run, so track names passed me by a bit, but I would say it gripped me from about song 5 onwards, with the second half of the album feeling much stronger than the first.
    That could have been my ears tuning in to the vibe of it all. There were a couple of standouts, that I will identify on tomorrow's run!!

I know one of them was called "A thousand guitars" or at least I think so, he repeated the tag line once for every one of the sodding things! ;)

I'm intrigued by how people hear this album differently. For Jem and I, House was the weakest track on the record. But I've seen many say they loved it.
    •  
    • Oct 27th 2020

Still struggling with it a bit. If I was cutting it down to 45 minutes it would have gone.
    Rainmaker is definetly a weaker one for me, it has a clunky chorus and sounds overall odd. Over on the website Greasy Lake several others find it reminescent of the Soozie orchestration phase he had going on a while back, apparently not a good thing.

The lyrics to Janey needs a Shooter are a miss, hard to interpret what exactly is going on with the protagonist. It takes away from the track and makes it fall short of the level other great/classic cuts have attained.

House of a thousand guitars is one of the stronger ones though.
    Posted By: Badlands66The lyrics to Janey needs a Shooter are a miss

Tough crowd.
    •  
    • Oct 27th 2020

Tough crowd.

Lions XD
    Posted By: DrBelfordLions XD

Maybe instead of "trains", Bruce could write more about "mountain lions" or "lions ready to strike"?
    •  
    • Oct 27th 2020

Bruce is a better suit for Janey than any of the other men in the song. That’s it. My favourite song on the record.
    •  
    • Oct 27th 2020

Tough crowd.

You're not kidding. Interesting. I think Janey is one of the strongest on the record. Though my fav 70s composition from it is Priest.

Last Man Standing has also been making a climb up the record for me. Has some Magic-era vibe.

Posted By: Badlands66Rainmaker is definetly a weaker one for me, it has a clunky chorus and sounds overall odd. Over on the website Greasy Lake several others find it reminescent of the Soozie orchestration phase he had going on a while back, apparently not a good thing.

I get what you're saying there, but I don't hate it. It has a tad bit of The Rising album in it too.
    •  
    • Oct 27th 2020

LMS is one of my favourites now. Top half dozen I reckon.
    •  
    • Oct 27th 2020

Posted By: JemLMS is one of my favourites now.

LMS is one of your favorites now
    You're the last man standing now.
    •  
    • Oct 27th 2020

I see what you did there :)
    Just saw the Letter to You flick, just incredible stuff. Really puts more context, weight and meaning over the songs. Like LMS being about the death of George Thiess and Bruce being the sole remaining Castilles member from back in the day. Really poignant about how time is finite and life should be treasured and spent wisely as age sets in.

If I was the Priest might just be my favourite track, but still a bit early to say.
    •  
    • Oct 30th 2020

Posted By: Badlands66Just saw the Letter to You flick, just incredible stuff. Really puts more context, weight and meaning over the songs. Like LMS being about the death of George Thiess and Bruce being the sole remaining Castilles member from back in the day. Really poignant about how time is finite and life should be treasured and spent wisely as age sets in.

If I was the Priest might just be my favourite track, but still a bit early to say.

The movie is just absolutely beyond moving. And what a tremendous insight to the process.

Priest is the one constantly stuck in my head. I love it so much.
    •  
    • Oct 30th 2020

Second listen Wednesday. My fondness for the second half has spread into the earlier part of the album. Power of Prayer is emerging as favourite, but liking most of it.

You may have a convert!
    Looked like Stevie plays the solo at the end of Priest, took me a bit by surprise, thaught he was the rhytmn guy and Nils did the fiddly stuff.

Power of Prayer is def in my top 5, if not 3, great track.
    •  
    • Oct 30th 2020

Posted By: Badlands66Looked like Stevie plays the solo at the end of Priest, took me a bit by surprise, thaught he was the rhytmn guy and Nils did the fiddly stuff.

Power of Prayer is def in my top 5, if not 3, great track.

It's so funny how we all hear it differently. I like POP, but it's prob in the bottom tier for me. But I definitely don't dislike it.

Stevie has a very distinct solo style, and my first few times hearing that outro solo didn't seem like it was him. But the film confirmed it. I think Nils is almost exclusively acoustic guitar on this record.
    •  
    • Oct 30th 2020

My little lad is firmly of the belief that Ghosts is the best on the record.
    Confirming, Ghosts is quite well done, as I tried it
    being presented on this thread.

Letter to you started promising, but as soon as first
    lyrics come up, they kill the song.

Definitely on board with the crew saying Born USA
    his Back'n Black.
    People thinking otherwise are die-hard in the sense as
    weed tends to regrow all the time.
    They should get a cartography of their brain zones,
    must be some extraordinary feature,
    like being left-handed.
    A BOSS has to be a tough one, not a softie.

He should have written a letter to himself :

Fury in the Slaughterhouse - Letter to Myself (Official Video)
    128.125 Calls