[ Sign In | Register ]

This has been beaten to death but I had an epiphany. I never much cared for Fly because it was so painful to listen to. My new Buick has excellent speakers and to my amazement I enjoyed listening to the record as I could hear it clearly and didn’t leave my ears ringing and brain aching. I get it now. This is an awesome set of songs. Its fucking heavy and the solos are nuts. Send for the man is a wild closer. The problem is Danger and Stand Up are so dull. Bland as shit. Can you imagine (some of you probably lived this) waiting for the new AC/DC single with the anticipation that we’re going through right now and getting DANGER? Yikes. Anyway that’s my take. Really good rock album with two grade F stinkers. Everything else rips. Talk amongst yourselves.
    Welcome to the club. I prefer it over Flick - a collection of great, nasty tracks with monster guitar tones and a whole lotta fun. I’ve grown to like the verses of Stand Up quite a bit (chorus is shit), and Danger is the same way. Great solo on Danger, too.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: pedrogkb
    • Mar 4th 2020

FOTW is f****g awesome when you really listen to it. Danger is a great track, but I can agree that it doesn’t work as a single.
    I respectfully don't get FOTW lovers. I tried a lot of times to give it a chance, but it's painful. It has it's good moments, but in general (for me) it's AC/DC's lowest point.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Mar 4th 2020

Never used a hammer on a penguin before.
    Posted By: JemNever used a hammer on a penguin before.
    The square variant of which I am part of came about due to repeated hammer bashes. Your efforts will be futile.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Mar 4th 2020

The Hammer requires no repeats.
    Then evolution is necessary, and you will promptly change my username to "MyBannedPenguin"
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinWelcome to the club. I prefer it over Flick - a collection of great, nasty tracks with monster guitar tones and a whole lotta fun. I’ve grown to like the verses of Stand Up quite a bit (chorus is shit), and Danger is the same way. Great solo on Danger, too.

Imagine fly with the production of flick. It would be every bit as good.
    Lol!

So the people who think FOTW is unlistenable really just have a bad sound system. That actually explains a lot.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: toddo
    • Mar 4th 2020

I guess more than any other ACDC album, FOTW and BUYV both have a sound reflective of the time in which they were recorded. Granted they're not as 80s as something like Robert Plant's "Now and Zen" but yeah I can see how some people don't like the sound of them. I've loved them since the day they came out :-)
    Posted By: tomscotland
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinWelcome to the club. I prefer it over Flick - a collection of great, nasty tracks with monster guitar tones and a whole lotta fun. I’ve grown to like the verses of Stand Up quite a bit (chorus is shit), and Danger is the same way. Great solo on Danger, too.

Imagine fly with the production of flick. It would be every bit as good.
    We are of different taste my friend ;) Vocally, Flick stomps on Fly in every possible way, yet it's the opposite IMO when it comes to guitars. Flick's just too dry for me, and while I'm not saying that it needs to be anywhere near FTATR levels of heavy/punch, I do wish there was more of a clang to it. Compare it to LTBR or Powerage, which are absolutely dripping with essence, and it seems too direct.
    • AC/DC rock music: Mike206
    • Mar 4th 2020

The production is ghastly, but it's not the cause of Fly's total failure .... that would be Simon Wright, who simply wrecks everything on this album. Bitchin new stereo is not going to change that.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: acadacauk
    • Mar 5th 2020

Fly and flick are both good albums its just the production has let them both down but out of the two I prefer flick
    Heavy metal AC/DC - like a totally different band from pre 80.
    I remember when I saw the album cover I though "This is a bit 'tasteful' for an AC/DC album cover isn't it?". Not that AC/DC really try to cause controversy with their album covers, I was just a bit surprised by it. I don't know, "Fly on the Wall" was a bit ordinary and "Send for the Man" was one of their most boring riffs in my opinion, I mean AC/DC could really make a simple riff sound good, but "Send for the Man" was lost on me. The other songs were better, some by a little, some by a lot. "Hell or High Water" tended to stand out best for me. Maybe Fly on the Wall is the weakest album from their "slow period", Flick'('83) through to Blow Up'('88), but not by much.
    Posted By: ruffstuff88This has been beaten to death but I had an epiphany. I never much cared for Fly because it was so painful to listen to. My new Buick has excellent speakers and to my amazement I enjoyed listening to the record as I could hear it clearly and didn’t leave my ears ringing and brain aching. I get it now. This is an awesome set of songs. Its fucking heavy and the solos are nuts. Send for the man is a wild closer. The problem is Danger and Stand Up are so dull. Bland as shit. Can you imagine (some of you probably lived this) waiting for the new AC/DC single with the anticipation that we’re going through right now and getting DANGER? Yikes. Anyway that’s my take. Really good rock album with two grade F stinkers. Everything else rips. Talk amongst yourselves.

I loved Danger when it came out. Love Brians vocal on it
    Also monster fucking riffs on Fly
    Posted By: Mike206The production is ghastly, but it's not the cause of Fly's total failure .... that would be Simon Wright, who simply wrecks everything on this album. Bitchin new stereo is not going to change that.

Imagine The Rudd and better production. Oooft!!
    Posted By: Pedro HodeckerI respectfully don't get FOTW lovers. I tried a lot of times to give it a chance, but it's painful. It has it's good moments, but in general (for me) it's AC/DC's lowest point.

That you'll find is everything after 1985
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: 42_39_56
    • Mar 5th 2020

Not an album I listen to much at all but when I do it’s usually just Shake Your Foundations... On repeat. BoL.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Mar 5th 2020

Angus hair was as big as his lead tone in those days. Loved it.
    A typical album produced by guitarists. Monster guitar sound and riffs and therefor probably giving them the "arena heavy metal" label.
    A big "fuck you" statement against the, heavy synthesizer dominated, juicy popsongs at the time.
    It didn't give them commercial succes of course.
    I expressed my love for the album in detail in other topics so I won't repeat myself. Great album and the real last "classic" AC/DC album. Afterwards they certainly did some good stuff, some more than other, but everybody on FOTW was still on fire and Brian's vocals are amazing, last album he sang with his "full power" tone. Same for the 85/86 tour (check the bootlegs and hear for yourself). Everything that came afterwards is a different story.
    You can keep on bitching as much as you want about the production, effects on vocals etc. but the album and the performances are kick ass. If they did an album like that these days everybody would scream miracle.
    Prob better than every album after it apart from TRE maybe.
    I was just listening to Shake Your Foundations, and one of the first thoughts that came to mind was:

"How much cocaine was consumed during the making of this album anyway? I bet it was enough blow to kill Ozzy Osbourne and Keith Richards!"
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Mar 5th 2020

Posted By: mutt_langes_permI was just listening to Shake Your Foundations

I was listening to SYF around the same time, and my thought was, I imagine Mal came up with that backing vocal, you can just imagine it. A few beers down, chanting it out in rehearsal.
    Posted By: 900
    Posted By: mutt_langes_permI was just listening to Shake Your Foundations

I was listening to SYF around the same time, and my thought was, I imagine Mal came up with that backing vocal, you can just imagine it. A few beers down, chanting it out in rehearsal.
    It's also got what is perhaps the tastiest guitar riff of their career. Not the best, no way, but the tastiest.

Also, it's very fun to imagine what Brian is singing, as the production makes him almost incoherent. I swear to god he says "beatin' on my dick" at 1:45 in the title track.
    As much as the music videos for the record were a horrendous display of 80's bullshit, I love the shots of the band on the stage of that small club. Good vibe to it, despite the annoying characters being on screen for a majority of the videos.
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinAlso, it's very fun to imagine what Brian is singing, as the production makes him almost incoherent.

I'm sure it wasn't much fun for Brian being buried in the mix that way. Quite insulting actually.
    Posted By: mutt_langes_perm
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinAlso, it's very fun to imagine what Brian is singing, as the production makes him almost incoherent.

I'm sure it wasn't much fun for Brian being buried in the mix that way. Quite insulting actually.
    Of course, but that's not at all what I'm saying. The production of his vocals might be the singular most disappointing thing about the record (though I adore his filthy tone), but just imagining what he's saying can be funny. I shouldn't have to, but that's Fly on the Wall for ya.
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinThe production of his vocals might be the singular most disappointing thing about the record

Most disappointing things about FOTW the album (in alphabetical order):

1. Brian Johnson's vocals
    3. Decline in quality in the songwriting department
    3. Lack of audible bass (was Cliff unavailable?)
    4. Phil Rudd being replaced by some random dude (sounds like it anyway)
    5. The not so cool album cover
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Meanstreak
    • Mar 5th 2020 edited

They had a lyric sheet for the album. First time since Dirty Deeds album. Seems like they wanted the lyrics to be read, when they were particularly dirty.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Mar 5th 2020

Posted By: mutt_langes_perm"How much cocaine was consumed during the making of this album anyway? I bet it was enough blow to kill Ozzy Osbourne and Keith Richards!"
    If you look at the FOTW videos; Malcolm and Cliff never were so vicious in their movements.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: angus1878
    • Mar 5th 2020 edited

its a fucking beast of an album...FULL STOP

as ive mentioned many times on here, my mate had a row with his neighbour, over the course of time my mates neighbour got to know FOTW very very well during daytime hours (while me mate was at work)....that repeat button somtimes comes in very handy
    Glad to get another new disciple!

Yes, the solos are ripping and memorable.

Listen to 2:26 of the title track. Angus' maniacal squeal to start the solo sounds like a saxophone being ripped through a Marshall stack — or warhorse on fire!

It's SUCH a good moment and no one else can play like that.

• AC/DC rock music: savsav
    • Mar 6th 2020

When the album was released I found myself disappointed . I could not help but feel the band had totally lost the boogie rock n roll that I had previously listened to . As time went by I did get to grips with it and actually really like the album . I liked the VHS video that came with it . It was a time when ACDC video footage was hard to come by and it was a welcome addition to my collection of grainy record fair bootlegs and clips I had recorded form the Jonathan king ( Burn him ) TV show No Limits . FOTW is full of great songs and some monster riffs . I also think FOTW was a great opening song for the tour .

It's a shame that every conversation regarding this album ends up with the production issues
    • Mar 6th 2020

It sounds great, you just need to turn the volume up and let it breathe..

The lack of bass was absolutely daft, but the vocals, although seemingly done like that as Y&Y were worried about Brian's voice sounding too abrasive, sound cool because it's part of the character of the album. Still, admittedly a weird thing to do! Backing vocals are bang-on.

The guitars are absolutely glorious, those thick lead tones with a dash of real room reverb. And those ringing chords, some really great sounds.

Drums - I like Simon's work, he's not Rudd but the drums are fine. The production on them is interesting, trying to use reverbs without cheating, I like that.

It has a party feel (which is how Angus described it on release) and that vibe wasn't really heard again until Rock Or Bust.
    • AC/DC rock music: savsav
    • Mar 6th 2020

No doubt the band had some great ideas for this album it has some great songs . The song arrangements also need a mention . Some really good breakdowns and “extra” verses flying about
    Love this album and the cheesy videos with it
    • Mar 6th 2020

Posted By: savsavSome really good breakdowns and “extra” verses flying about

Good point. Love the bit in FOTW where stuff drops out just exposing the chords for a few moments. Great breakdown in Back In Business as well, with that thumping bass drum which is a bit Led Zep sounding. SYF - I like how it goes on and on, third verse and a chorus really rammed down your throat! An album of energy and fun.