[ Sign In | Register ]

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

Your thoughts?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Treehorn
    • Feb 27th 2020

Possibly. A few tours I know of have already been cancelled due to the virus. Hard to tell if it is overly cautious to do so, from the coverage, when seasonal flu seems to kill far more, or if we're all doomed.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DrBelford
    • Feb 27th 2020

Looks like it at this point. So... most likely yes?
    I would think that it would certainly impact the mindset of concert attendees, perhaps coercing them into not attending due to having such a large number of people in one area. On the legal/regulation side of things I don’t have a clue.

Great question
    Soccer games in stadiums had been cancelled in Italy, so I guess is the same with large concerts :/
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: recimo
    • Feb 27th 2020

Maybe for a next month or two, but as soon as temperature goes up virus will die out and it will all return to normal most likely.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Feb 28th 2020

I think for the next 2 months it will probably have an impact for sure.
    Switzerland has forbidden all events with more than 1000 attendees till at least 15th of march (like events with 800 attendees isn't a problem..)

In Europe the spreading has just started last week and will certainly increase for the coming weeks.
    It will probably have an effect on gigs and tours in the next couple of months.
    Green Day just cancelled their tour
    ^Yep
    • AC/DC rock music: nimeta
    • Feb 28th 2020

Posted By: carolinareaperGreen Day just cancelled their tour

Balls - I was all set to catch the virus there from some cute French girl or other in the Paris La Defense arena :(((

Many of us will catch this virus. Almost all of us will survive it. I travel on fearless :)
    Posted By: recimoMaybe for a next month or two, but as soon as temperature goes up virus will die out and it will all return to normal most likely.

That’s interesting. What’s the temp in Iran, Japan, Korea, Thailand right now?
    •  
    • Feb 28th 2020

Posted By: WarMachine73
    Posted By: recimoMaybe for a next month or two, but as soon as temperature goes up virus will die out and it will all return to normal most likely.

That’s interesting. What’s the temp in Iran, Japan, Korea, Thailand right now?

https://www.google.n...
    How did this virus come about in the first place and transfer to humans,? A mentally deranged and fucked up inhabitant of Wuhan, trying to have sex with a bat?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: benji
    • Feb 28th 2020

Posted By: MeanstreakHow did this virus come about in the first place and transfer to humans,? A mentally deranged and fucked up inhabitant of Wuhan, trying to have sex with a bat?

Was there really any need for that comment?
    •  
    • Feb 28th 2020

Yeah, enough with the prejudice.

Furthermore, how do know the bat wasn't trying to have sex with *him*, huh?

Joking aside, I agree with benji on this.
    Posted By: benji
    Posted By: MeanstreakHow did this virus come about in the first place and transfer to humans,? A mentally deranged and fucked up inhabitant of Wuhan, trying to have sex with a bat?

Was there really any need for that comment?

Depends on whether you're interested or uninterested in etiology. Well, my comment was not politically correct, probably. The mods can do what they want with it.
    •  
    • Feb 28th 2020

Bats are maybe the initial host but they were not sold at the market in Wuhan. Probably an intermediate host in form of another, still unknown, wild animal that wás sold at the market is the final transmitter to humans. Civet cat f.i.was the host and transmitter of SARS virus 2003.
    • Feb 28th 2020

The WHO has been preparing for Virus X for some years. The last one was during the First World War and killed more people than the war. Seems to happen every hundred years or so. Seems this is the one.
    •  
    • Feb 28th 2020

Posted By: nimetaThe WHO has been preparing for Virus X for some years. The last one was during the First World War and killed more people than the war. Seems to happen every hundred years or so. Seems this is the one.
    You mean the Spanish Flu. That was much more deadly than the current corona. The current mortality is about 2%. SARS was almost 10%
    Medical care, knowledge and medicine is of course totally different than in 1918
    •  
    • Feb 28th 2020

Posted By: ThankassMedical care, knowledge and medicine is of course totally different than in 1918

Not just medical care, also general hygiene standards are drastically different.
    • Feb 28th 2020

Well...plus there was a bloody Great War on at the time - that didn't help
    •  
    • Feb 28th 2020

Posted By: DrBelford
    Posted By: ThankassMedical care, knowledge and medicine is of course totally different than in 1918

Not just medical care, also general hygiene standards are drastically different.
    Yeah, i meant that with knowledge
    •  
    • Feb 28th 2020

^Sorry.

So am I right that you think that people overreact / are a bit hysterical?
    •  
    • Feb 28th 2020 edited

Posted By: DrBelford^Sorry.

So am I right that you think that people overreact / are a bit hysterical?
    In our current world in where media rule our daily lives and try to influence our perception of things, it's very easy to ignore facts and figures. Spanish flu was so deadly because it caused the main defense system to fail and therefor all kinds of bacterial complications like pneumonia could occur. Without antibiotics existing this meant you were dead. Mortality still was about "only" 10%. Less than bird flu
    •  
    • Feb 28th 2020

I agree. A pandemic is obviously a very, very unpleasant prospect, still though people should be able to put things in perspective.
    As crappy as Coronavirus is I feel there is allot of hype and hysteria that has been stirred up by the media and even by some governments around the world. I'm not suggesting for a second that it's not a dangerous virus but the fact is it's still very early days so we just need to wait and see how it all pans out. For now the best thing to do is follow all of the proper precautions such as good hygiene, like washing your hands after going to the toilet and before and after eating, steering clear of people with cold & flu like symptoms and going straight to the Doctor if you have any cold or flu like symptoms etc...
    Places heavily affected by the Coronavirus have shut down schools and postponed or cancelled concerts, sporting events and anything that has a large gathering of people in one place and that makes complete sense as they are trying to contain it from getting completely out of control. If AC/DC were to announce a tour they may possibly look at delaying the start of the tour and/or may avoid playing in certain countries if Coronavirus is not contained and controlled.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: bonlives
    • Feb 28th 2020 edited

This is actually a REALLY relevant thread. No band management will be wanting to line up tours that could be disrupted/cancelled due to a changing virus situation. This situation will absolutely be factoring into any potential tour planning for any band, including AC/DC.

Whether this is a media beat-up, or a genuine threat to the health of a lot of people, is irrelevant - the reality is governments are clearly closing borders, preventing mass gatherings, shutting down entire cities. That's some serious shit from the point of view of a business that depends on travel, open borders and mass gatherings in the form of concerts.

"Will Coronavirus Impact Rock Tours This Year?" was the thread title. The answer is yes - in a big way. Particularly right now when this situation is constantly changing.

I'm doing some work for a company that is heavily reliant on Chinese students - I've been told to find a way to cut the project's budget by over $1M because right now no Chinese students are permitted into Australia. You cannot plan ahead in situations like this, the uncertainty is too great.
    •  
    • Feb 28th 2020 edited

https://www.vulture....

... stating that “the recent outbreak has made it impossible at this time to predict the scale of the outbreak during the dates of the concert in April, alongside increasing uncertainty about the cross-border movement of concert staff and equipment.”
    •  
    • Feb 28th 2020

Yes, if the development continues as it does right now, delays will be inevitable & cancellations will be very likely.

Let's just hope the situation will ease in the coming months.
    •  
    • Feb 28th 2020 edited

I think the biggest threat of the virus is economical. It's not that a huge proportion of the population will die but many will be down for weeks, unable to work. The virus is lethal for the elderly so a lot of young people don't care. Don't they have parents and grandparents they can infect? I'm thinking about my university where there are a lot of students in theri 20s who barely get any sleep, are stressed out have an unhealty diet and go home to their parents for the weekend.
    As always, use common sense don't panic but also don't ridicule the possible effects and the cautious. If you feel sick, stay home and call you doctor.

The number of infected can go up exponentially if there is a certain % of the already infected. If you cry about the media, check why it was called the Spanish flu.
    •  
    • Feb 28th 2020 edited

Posted By: DrBelfordLet's just hope the situation will ease in the coming months.
    Let's hope so. But absolutely no band management of a professional outfit, would be lining up shows right now given the uncertainty. Staging concerts is a business of certainty.
    Posted By: bonlivesThis is actually a REALLY relevant thread. No band management will be wanting to line up tours that could be disrupted/cancelled due to a changing virus situation. This situation will absolutely be factoring into any potential tour planning for any band, including AC/DC.

Whether this is a media beat-up, or a genuine threat to the health of a lot of people, is irrelevant - the reality is governments are clearly closing borders, preventing mass gatherings, shutting down entire cities. That's some serious shit from the point of view of a business that depends on travel, open borders and mass gatherings in the form of concerts.

"Will Coronavirus Impact Rock Tours This Year?" was the thread title. The answer is yes - in a big way. Particularly right now when this situation is constantly changing.

I'm doing some work for a company that is heavily reliant on Chinese students - I've been told to find a way to cut the project's budget by over $1M because right now no Chinese students are permitted into Australia. You cannot plan ahead in situations like this, the uncertainty is too great.

Yes I agree. It's too early to know exactly what's going to happen and how it's all going to pan out. But to respond directly to this thread topic. You can be assured that most certainly any large event that has a mass of people altogether in the same place (and that includes Rock Tours/Concerts) will be cancelled or postponed, and it's already happening. There is even talk that the Olympics is in danger of being cancelled. At this stage they're saying it will go ahead but who knows what could happen over the next few months so that may possibly change. Time will tell...
    •  
    • Feb 28th 2020 edited

Posted By: somawesomeI think the biggest threat of the virus is economical. It's not that a huge proportion of the population will die but many will be down for weeks, unable to work.

Exactly. I think this is going to be the major issue.

Posted By: somawesomeAs always, use common sense don't panic but also don't ridicule the possible effects

Totally agree. Be cautious, not hysterical.
    Posted By: DrBelfordTotally agree. Be cautious, not hysterical.

Exactly, agree 100%. We should be very cautious but not hysterical. If for example AC/DC were planning a tour that included dates in Europe during the months of July to Sept my guess is that unless this Coronavirus is contained quickly they're most likely going to avoid those places until things settle down. No way in the world would any band risk playing to large crowds when there is a huge virus outbreak of this intensity. For numerous reasons that have already been mentioned in this thread it would just be crazy.
    Posted By: somawesomeI think the biggest threat of the virus is economical.
    US stock market is fucking tanking right now, so I’d say you’re right.

In regards to concerts/touring, there could totally be postponements or cancellations due both to public regulations and what the band’s management thinks is gonna happen - if there’s a good chance that a concert will lose many potential attendees because of the virus, as well as a belief that the concert will be a breeding ground for the virus. they might postpone it. The question is when will they postpone it to - there’s no set date that the virus is supposed to end obviously.
    •  
    • Feb 28th 2020 edited

This virus is of course very damaging for the world's economy and businesses. It can potentially stop the world from 'turning'. So yes it will certainly have an effect for the coming months. Measures taken should always be considered against the risk and impact of the infection. In this fairly short situation there is still uncertainty because it is a new corona virus (many of them are already known) and it's not known yet if it will mutate. So in this uncertain period it's maybe logical to take drastic measures although death ratio is not abnormal against Influenza.
    But i cannot remember these kinds of global measures taken during the MERS and SARS outbreaks (that had a higher CFR).
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguin
    Posted By: somawesomeI think the biggest threat of the virus is economical.
    US stock market is fucking tanking right now, so I’d say you’re right.

Not according to Trump. LOL
    Posted By: bonlivesThis is actually a REALLY relevant thread. No band management will be wanting to line up tours that could be disrupted/cancelled due to a changing virus situation. This situation will absolutely be factoring into any potential tour planning for any band, including AC/DC.

Thanks for the props, Bon. I wish this site had emojis, so I could give you a thumbs up.

PS-AC/DC should've toured by now. At least they'd have all this Corona business behind them.