[ Sign In | Register ]

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

This new line of Gretsch Guitars offers a really nice Malcolm lookalike for $500. A really nice option for those of us who want to spend less than $2300.

Very cool. A Gretsch of some sort is sorely missing from my lineup...
    Damn sweet!
    Nice! Wonder how the quality will be for $500?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DustDevil
    • Feb 17th 2020

Posted By: hirtlockerNice! Wonder how the quality will be for $500?

Probably a bit SHITE. But looks good so who cares!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: acadacauk
    • Feb 17th 2020

wouldnt say it was shite, i got a g5441t and iv modded the bigsby with a biggsfix to lesson the tension on the strings on the bridge and it plays and sounds nice.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: IMadeIt97
    • Feb 17th 2020

I will be picking one up in the next few months. I'm planning on installing my schaller 455 onto it and will slowly convert it to be as close as i can get to Mal's guitar before he put the burns trem back on. Anyone know if broad'tron pickups are good for general MY tone/ sound (irregardless of string gauge and how hard I hit the strings) or should i replace it with a TV Jones?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Treehorn
    • Feb 17th 2020 edited

Posted By: IMadeIt97I will be picking one up in the next few months. I'm planning on installing my schaller 455 onto it and will slowly convert it to be as close as i can get to Mal's guitar before he put the burns trem back on. Anyone know if broad'tron pickups are good for general MY tone/ sound (irregardless of string gauge and how hard I hit the strings) or should i replace it with a TV Jones?

The Mal guitar looks good and didn't he say it is a mahogany body in the review? Do they often use mahogany for the cheaper models?

Don't know about the broad'tron pickups but I took the bridge filtertron out of my Duo Jet for a TV Jones Classic Plus. I don't know that it made loads of difference really. Took the Bigsby off and put a Schaller Signum on, which did increase sustain a lot.

The Grover tuners on mine have always been shite, I never have much spare cash these days but the intention is to get some decent Schaller tuners on there... One day.

I finally tried the Japanese Mal model a few months ago. It was good to play one but I don't understand why they go to all that trouble and then put 10s on there.
    These won’t have a bigsby. So one less thing to worry about
    I mentioned this in a Facebook group before but it looks almost exactly like the first one Jaydee built for Malcolm.
    Has anyone here bought the 2500 Malcolm replica that Gretsch is selling? If so, how is that guitar? Worth it?
    •  
    • Feb 17th 2020

I quite like that V tailpiece, very vaguely reminiscent of the Cadillac tailpiece Mal had on his Falcon

Posted By: SpellboundI mentioned this in a Facebook group before but it looks almost exactly like the first one Jaydee built for Malcolm.

If I ever get another guitar I would love the Jaydee Donington SG. Last time I checked they have a 16 month waiting list...
    Posted By: AngusboomHas anyone here bought the 2500 Malcolm replica that Gretsch is selling? If so, how is that guitar? Worth it?

General consensus is the pickup is a terrible choice, but the guitar is amazing.
    •  
    • Feb 18th 2020

Have to say, I'm extremely tempted by one of these. I haven't bought a new guitar since 1996 lol.
    For $500 at least you won’t be afraid to mod it. I wouldn’t change a thing on the custom one. I’d be afraid to touch it.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Starsky
    • Feb 23rd 2020

Posted By: IMadeIt97Anyone know if broad'tron pickups are good for general MY tone/ sound (irregardless of string gauge and how hard I hit the strings) or should i replace it with a TV Jones?

I'm a bit late, but I've heard multiple times that the Broadtrons, while not bad pickups, sound nothing like Mal's TV Jones'.
    About a year ago, I thought about getting a Gretsch Streamliner and replacing its Broadtrons with TV Jones. I'd get this new MY model, but I've got a handicap that is left-handedness. Bollocks.
    Take the stevie approach. Flip it upside down and move the knobs :)
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Starsky
    • Feb 24th 2020

Not sure if I dare to mess with the axe, converting it to a lefty. There are very few renowned luthiers in Estonia as well. I think I'll have a go at this, if I'm not too tight on money in the summer. Who needs wholesome food as an uni student anyways.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: jonalba
    • Feb 24th 2020

I don't have it, but have played the expensive Mal signature, and it was euphoric.
    Anybody know what Mal's pickups are? I've heard vintage Filtertrons are Alnico II but his tone is so bright...
    I’ve gotten pretty close to Malcolm tone with a standard bridge filtertron 2892371
    • AC/DC rock music: bonny76
    • Feb 26th 2020

he used TV Jones Pick ups later
    •  
    • Feb 26th 2020

Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALotAnybody know what Mal's pickups are? I've heard vintage Filtertrons are Alnico II but his tone is so bright...

I believe it's the TV Jones Classic Plus
    •  
    • Feb 26th 2020

Ordered my new amp this morning. When I get paid on Friday, ordering my new guitar too. My midlife crisis is beginning.
    Just picked up the £400 Malcolm lookalike Gretsch, believe the hype lads, its a phenomenal bit of kit for the money!
    •  
    • Feb 26th 2020

Posted By: backinstokeJust picked up the £400 Malcolm lookalike Gretsch, believe the hype lads, its a phenomenal bit of kit for the money!

That's the one I'm going for! I've played lower end Gretsch stuff before, all felt as good as stuff twice the price!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: benji
    • Feb 26th 2020

Very tempted, but saving my money for other things this year...
    •  
    • Feb 26th 2020

Do it, Benji. Get hell to pay.
    Posted By: DustDevil
    Posted By: backinstokeJust picked up the £400 Malcolm lookalike Gretsch, believe the hype lads, its a phenomenal bit of kit for the money!

That's the one I'm going for! I've played lower end Gretsch stuff before, all felt as good as stuff twice the price!

Agreed, I would genuinely believe it was a £1k plus guitar really, just feels quality
    Also, the added bonus of a hardtail instead of the crappy licensed Bigsby that goes out of tune just by breathing near it is a massive plus point
    •  
    • Feb 26th 2020

Posted By: DustDevilOrdered my new amp this morning. When I get paid on Friday, ordering my new guitar too. My midlife crisis is beginning.

What amp did you go for?
    •  
    • Feb 26th 2020

Posted By: Treehorn
    Posted By: DustDevilOrdered my new amp this morning. When I get paid on Friday, ordering my new guitar too. My midlife crisis is beginning.

What amp did you go for?

Just a little Marshall (this one https://www.musicrad... ). I've actually got a Marshall TSL2000 head with 4x12 cab already, but never use it anymore, now my gigging days are way behind me... It's not really suited to just twiddling in my house, needs to be cranked in a big room haha! So, that little Marshall will do me!
    •  
    • Feb 27th 2020

^ Nice! Haven't tried a Code, but am in a similar boat in that my little amp (Yamaha THR10C) gets way more use than my big amp!
    •  
    • Feb 27th 2020

Amp just arrived! Hopefully it will be paired up with a shiny new Gretsch in a few days!

Hopefully that works /\ just done a quick vid playing the new Gretsch for you all to have a listen, cheers
    ^sounds damn good to me. Complete amateur question here, but is that tone representative of Gretsch’s guitars as a whole, or is that particular model meant to sound more like Mal’s? As said above, it’s only a look-alike, it obviously doesn’t have the empty pickup slots, and of course the amp is a factor in the sound, but that tone is nearly indistinguishable to my ears (particularly when he plays jailbreak).
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Grim177
    • Feb 27th 2020

That does look and sound rather nice. I'm not sure I could justify having a guitar purely to emulate Malcolm with though, as much as I admired him. And to put anything lighter than a set of .12's on there would just seem wrong to me. Be a great shout for a tribute band member on a sensible budget though.
    •  
    • Feb 27th 2020

Posted By: backinstoke

Hopefully that works /\ just done a quick vid playing the new Gretsch for you all to have a listen, cheers

Sounds great. Stupid question time: Did it come with a case? I expect not at that price...
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Feb 27th 2020

Posted By: Grim177That does look and sound rather nice. I'm not sure I could justify having a guitar purely to emulate Malcolm with though, as much as I admired him. And to put anything lighter than a set of .12's on there would just seem wrong to me. Be a great shout for a tribute band member on a sensible budget though.

They are just great to play all round stuff on, even though you do feel like cranking Mal's stuff out all the time.
    Fretboard is an absolute dream.
    •  
    • Feb 27th 2020

Sounds great! You gonna take the pickguard off?