[ Sign In | Register ]

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Jet1984
    • Jan 11th 2020 edited

...we could have ended up with something like this...

My favorite part starts at 7:20.

brb throwing up
    Oh my god, Dave, man, please. please. Please. PLEASE. STOP.

I'm a pretty big VH fan, and love Dave's work from before he initially left, but this is worse than laughable (and I've been laughing VERY hard) - it's utterly embarrassing and mindblowing how he manages to keep that goofy grin throughout the entirety of this performance. No sane human being would think that this is remotely decent, but I guess the abundance of voice cracks, the sheer inconsistency, the terrible tone, the hilarious screaming, the random noises, and the incredible lack of in tune notes couldn't penetrate his ego bubble to actually reach his brain and say "shit, I'm doing bad!"

But, hey, at least it's the most entertaining thing that any member of VH has released since 1984.

I'm gonna go listen to some fucking Ballbreaker because I have a newfound appreciation of the vocals on that record.
    • AC/DC rock music: Strat54
    • Jan 11th 2020

Oh my god. That is the worst
    • AC/DC rock music: BrennaB
    • Jan 12th 2020

Something about Grandpa in those pants with his frog ass that’s just not doing it for me.
    Grandpa Dave.
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Jan 12th 2020

Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinit's utterly embarrassing and mindblowing how he manages to keep that goofy grin throughout the entirety of this performance. No sane human being would think that this is remotely decent, but I guess the abundance of voice cracks, the sheer inconsistency, the terrible tone, the hilarious screaming, the random noises, and the incredible lack of in tune notes couldn't penetrate his ego bubble to actually reach his brain and say "shit, I'm doing bad!"

LoL, brutal!
    • AC/DC rock music: FLACDC
    • Jan 12th 2020

OMG...I have no words.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: benji
    • Jan 12th 2020

Come on guys, no need to hate on him like that. I think it sounds pretty damn good for a guy his age. Cut him some slack!
    •  
    • Jan 12th 2020

Sorry Benji. Paul Rodgers sounds pretty damn good for a guy his age. Roth sounds like a schizophrenic cat being strangled and aroused at the same time.
    Posted By: Jet1984Sorry Benji. Paul Rodgers sounds pretty damn good for a guy his age. Roth sounds like a schizophrenic cat being strangled and aroused at the same time.
    Benji may have mastered the art of extremely subtle sarcasm. Perhaps I'm wrong.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: BallToucher
    • Jan 12th 2020 edited

Nobody is forcing you to watch that video, much less buy any ticket to see him live. He seems to be having a good time, so why do you care? It's only RNR. Who are you to consider what some other guy should or shouldn't do?

Lots of people say Angus has been pathetic with the suit at least since 2000 and he should just quit. I say leave both men alone and mind your own business.
    Not to mention how shot Brians voice was last go around.
    Posted By: BallToucherNobody is forcing you to watch that video, much less buy any ticket to see him live. He seems to be having a good time, so why do you care? It's only RNR. Who are you to consider what some other guy should or shouldn't do?

Lots of people say Angus has been pathetic with the suit at least since 2000 and he should just quit. I say leave both men alone and mind your own business.
    You're absolutely right - who is anybody to tell someone that they can't do something as harmless as a concert. Contrary to what I initially implied, I don't think he should necessarily stop as long as both he and the crowd are having fun, which they more or less seem to be. He can do whatever he wants, and I have great respect/love for his work in VH (though his ego gets annoying), but I would be lying if I said this was an enjoyable performance to me for any reason other than the sheer ridiculousness of it. Many people seem to agree based on the youtube comments and the simple existence of this thread. The band behind him is actually pretty good, despite the obvious use of backing vocals from the studio recording of the song.

As for Angus' schoolboy outfit, I've personally never had a problem with it and definitely think it should be kept, but regardless of that I'm not gonna judge a performance based on the outfit. The musicianship is obviously what matters, and I think that both Angus and Brian have more than delivered on that side of things up until their respective last shows. Definitely not equal to what they were doing in their prime, but the same can be said for literally ever musician ever.

I'll give Dave this, though - he's certainly not half-assing it, and is trying to give the crowd their money's worth, but the result just isn't that unfortunately. I don't know - when you're in Vegas, drunk as hell, and watching a legendary frontman do his thing up on stage, you probably don't give two shits. The fun of the moment is what matters more than anything, and if it works then it works.
    •  
    • Jan 12th 2020

Posted By: BallToucherI say leave both men alone and mind your own business.

Mind your own business? They are entertainers. Not religious leaders(one might argue apparently) that are not to be questioned. As much as they have been praised for their performance in the past and enjoyed it I'm sorry to say that, if you show up like Dave does in Vegas right now you just have to live with the deserved critique (read: bashing). I think he can take it. He will still do whatever the fuck he wants anyways.
    Roth has never really been a good live singer, young or old. The first four Van Halen studio albums are sweet though. Even when Brian doesn't have his A-game, the phrasing and focus still comes through.
    Brian and Angus did not fuckin’ meet whatever lofty standard is set here for satisfactory delivery last go around, both struggled noticeably on certain aspects of the gig, Riff Raff anyone?

Only reason they don’t cop flak is they are members of yer favorite band. Be a tad honest please.
    Posted By: Badlands66Brian and Angus did not fuckin’ meet whatever lofty standard is set here for satisfactory delivery last go around, both struggled noticeably on certain aspects of the gig, Riff Raff anyone?

Only reason they don’t cop flak is they are members of yer favorite band. Be a tad honest please.

So that performance by Roth, according to how you see it, is comparable to how AC/DC performed on the RoB tour?
    Posted By: Badlands66Brian and Angus did not fuckin’ meet whatever lofty standard is set here for satisfactory delivery last go around, both struggled noticeably on certain aspects of the gig, Riff Raff anyone?

That entire tour is something that can't be looked at as one constant entity, if that makes any sense. I didn't personally see the tour, but what I've seen on youtube is inconsistent in that some tracks from some gigs are played very well, and some aren't. And there's one thing I've noticed about it - it seems that the individual band members are doing fine for the most part (aside from a small example of a mistake here and there), but they don't seem to be working well as a band. It was missing that tightness that ACDC are known for, though I don't think that was due to Mal's absence. Perhaps it was a lack of confidence and a feeling of emptiness at Mal not being there, as well as age related things.

Brian's tone is fine to me, and he hits the notes fine as well, but it is lacking in power and wasn't quite as good as BI, though it's unfair of me to compare cellphone recordings of the ROB tour to the LARP DVD. Angus' playing also sounds fine to me for the majority of the songs, and yeah, his playing of the main Riff on RR was janky because the notes just weren't clear. His soloing was pretty damn good now that I listen, but that's just a particular example and he might have been really struggling at some gigs I simply don't know. Still, I think the ROB tour works marvelously better live than what we're seeing of DLR right now. Brian isn't just doing random high notes that don't work whatsoever, and is actually singing the melody of the songs in a way that's musical. Please correct me if I'm wrong, because I obviously haven't seen each and every phone recording of the tour, so it's hard to get a general overview of just how well the WHOLE thing turned out.

One thing's for certain - I want a glorious return. I want the band to return to the stage with Phil Rudd, Cliff Williams, and Brian Johnson in full force and with lots of confidence. Even at their age I would assume that they have the power to put on a great show. Perhaps if, on a new tour, they were to do gigs less often it would prove much better in the long run, such as one every one or two weeks so there's lots of recuperation in between. Will this happen? Probably not in the way I'm describing, but, if they are to tour again with Brian, I'm curious if they would lessen their load so to speak and take it slower.
    • Jan 12th 2020

Brian had some good moments on the RoB tour. As Penguin said, not as good as the best BI stuff (age has to catch up eventually, some of his BI was absolutely amazing) but still good. I love RoB, STT, BIB (and others) on this one. Only irritation is when he changed the phrasing of STT's 2nd verse when he was singing it so well.

The DLR thing is odd. Sounds like he does have some range and some ability left, but as his singing, pitch and note control is bad, he's scared to sing the normal melodies, so instead does a whole mix of other things, sounding increasingly bizarre. I think he's lost note control / sustain right in the key parts of most of those songs' range. I also think people laugh because the guy's ego is so colossal - prancing about while struggling so much. It's tough on them in the YouTube age though, that's for sure.

I find it ironic that Dave sounds really damn good here.

He's charismatic, and sings the melodies very well with good pitch and consistency. He's not overdoing it, and it's great. Of course the keyboards were not in the same key as what the actual band members were playing, so the whole thing was an absolute mess in that sense.

I truly feel like Dave could sound like this good if he weren't trying so hard to be like he was in the late 70s. Those classic hoarse screams he used to do just don't work with his current voice, and everything that's meant to seem spontaneous and interesting just comes across as completely insane and out of place. If he would stop trying to scream so much and just SING the melodies found on the studio recordings then I think it'd turn out loads better.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DustDevil
    • Jan 13th 2020

He's fucking cringe-worthy.
    Posted By: Meanstreak

So that performance by Roth, according to how you see it, is comparable to how AC/DC performed on the RoB tour?

Nope never implied it either, I’m just tired of people poking fun at other artists while turning a blind eye to ‘DC’s own shortcomings these days.
    Keep it real.
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguin

That entire tour is something that can't be looked at as one constant entity, if that makes any sense. I didn't personally see the tour, but what I've seen on youtube is inconsistent in that some tracks from some gigs are played very well, and some aren't. And there's one thing I've noticed about it - it seems that the individual band members are doing fine for the most part (aside from a small example of a mistake here and there), but they don't seem to be working well as a band. It was missing that tightness that ACDC are known for, though I don't think that was due to Mal's absence. Perhaps it was a lack of confidence and a feeling of emptiness at Mal not being there, as well as age related things.

Fair enough, I attended a gig in ‘15 before Brian left and truth be told the volume is so high you wouldn’t notice much nuance in Brians singing, it’s pretty much a wall of sound. Only when he noticeably botched up his cue you could tell something was off, even then most of the crowd thought it was all part of the song, lol.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Treehorn
    • Jan 13th 2020

Thought they only did Riff Raff when Axl came in? They couldn't play it well, granted, but I felt that was more down to the drums.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Badlands66
    • Jan 13th 2020 edited

Posted By: Treehorn

Thought they only did Riff Raff when Axl came in? They couldn't play it well, granted, but I felt that was more down to the drums.

Indeed, was referring to the way Angus played the intro riff on that one.
    The drums were not good at all, but that pretty much goes without saying.
    • AC/DC rock music: BrennaB
    • Jan 13th 2020 edited

Posted By: BallToucherNobody is forcing you to watch that video, much less buy any ticket to see him live. He seems to be having a good time, so why do you care? It's only RNR. Who are you to consider what some other guy should or shouldn't do?

Except that this is a forum where we post things and offer our opinions and discuss stuff. Just because opinions aren’t always the same you don’t get to tell people to “mind their own business” when it doesn’t match yours. I could say it IS my business because my eyes and ears were assaulted by grandpa wearing tight spandex looking pants and screeching like a dead cat.
    Imagine how boring it would be if everyone just “minded their own business”.
    Grandpa Diamond Dave! Getting all ladies wet!
    Posted By: CalCroonerRoth has never really been a good live singer, young or old. The first four Van Halen studio albums are sweet though. Even when Brian doesn't have his A-game, the phrasing and focus still comes through.

Dave has never been as consistent as Bon or even Brian,no, but he wasn't as terrible live back in the day as he is often attributed.

Sure, the frontman persona and personality carried most of his short comings vocally but really Dave could sing his songs pretty well live up until the last decade or so.

Listen to him on the VH tour in 2007/2008, he was not doing the crazy melody changes and insane pitching up and down, different phrasing shit.

When he sings within his range, he is passable,but when he pushing himself higher than he should he gets in trouble.I love Dave and classic VH,and I feel this criticizim new Vegas gig is totally justified, just think people often are blinded by the Dave of the 2000's, he wasn't this shit in the 70's,80's,90's and early ish '00s.

A character and very odd, but Dave did have "it" once upon a time,and he still has glimpse's here and there.

Hate to see him doing so rough these days though. Looks like he is having a ball though.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Jan 14th 2020

Fucking amazing when I saw him in Florida back in 2013(ish), and played on his age getting in the way of what he used to do on stage. Seen him twice, still one of the best frontmen for me in terms of the showmen I have seen.
    Posted By: BrennaBI could say it IS my business because my eyes and ears were assaulted

You chose to watch that video, nobody forced you. Myself, I saw maybe one minute of it and went off to do something else. My eyes and ears weren´t assaulted. I didn't feel the urge to go online and bash somebody who's just enjoying himself and playing for his audience.
    GRANDPA DAVE....STILL GOY IT GOIIIIING ON.......T
    Jesus Christ almighty.
    • Jan 15th 2020

Dave sounded really good there, though not sure I see the point of a guitar power song like Panama done acoustically.

Feel a bit sorry for Dave, even though he's a narcissistic cretin. Must be difficult trying to do what you used to and just not being able to. Difference with someone like Beano is he had so many tools to start with, he's still got plenty left despite losing some of what he had.

Roth's 65, I guess it's natural he wants to eke out what he can. But he'd sound better doing the songs properly and falling a bit short, than doing all that silly stuff to cover up his anxieties.
    Regardless of what he sounds like now, this is the Roth I’ll always think of when I hear his name. It’s much better to remember the good than the bad, and holy shit is this GOOD.

1:42 is especially wonderful.
    I agree 1:42 in Light Up the Sky is really nice, one of my favorite Van Halen moments, guitar and voice.
    Van Halen II as a whole is a killer record.

One of the best summer time albums, Light Up The Sky smokes.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Jan 16th 2020

Posted By: nitroangus23Van Halen II as a whole is a killer record.

One of the best summer time albums, Light Up The Sky smokes.

Spot on.

Will always be one of my top 4 bands. Their impact when they burst on the scene was the definition of explosive!
    Dave is using a guy on lead guitar from a VH tribute band

• Jan 16th 2020

Looking back at that first clip, it's almost eerie, the guy is trying but he's showing his 65 years. Someone like Steven Tyler has defied age in such an extraordinary manner, he's just an older version of what he always was. Whereas other guys would love to be like that, but they're not genetically wired for it. Someone in the Blabbermouth comments called DLR "Joe Pesci" which was amusing; not an insult, one might argue.

Brian's kind of in-between, he's evolved, he's not "beer and a pie watching the football" like in 1984, but he's not decrepit either, as he's so robust, same with Sammy Hagar.

The answer? Eat lots of king prawn jalfreizi and drink lots of red wine, to stay young.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Meanstreak
    • Jan 16th 2020 edited

I have the impression that DLR did not drink much or do much drugs. I could be wrong. Steven Tyler, he sure consumed drugs corresponding to the whole of Colombia's drug cartel value, in at least a prosperous year. Strangely, Tyler is still in better shape for singing.
    • Jan 16th 2020

Posted By: MeanstreakStrangely, Tyler is still in better shape for singing.

Yeah that's just it, I don't think there are any rules that work for everyone. Genetics.
    Posted By: 900Looking back at that first clip, it's almost eerie, the guy is trying but he's showing his 65 years.
    To my ears, it sounds like DLR has never really strained himself while singing aside from the occasional.... whatever the fuck you could call these:

So if he were to just sing the songs as they were sung on the record, and don't try to randomly change the octave of a particular note as well as a whole bunch of other things, then it'd be fine. He's trying WAY too hard to do even more than he did back in the day, yet his age probably couldn't handle doing an EQUAL amount of things. The screaming is out of the picture IMO, but not in his...
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Jan 16th 2020

Roth era Van Halen is the cream of hard rock. No two ways about it. If you say otherwise, I'm calling you a liar. There is not one bad album from Van Halen I to 1984.

I saw the 2007 reunion tour with Roth and he had become a lounge singer. I swore that was it for me. No more. Done.
    Posted By: InfernoRoth era Van Halen is the cream of hard rock. No two ways about it. If you say otherwise, I'm calling you a liar. There is not one bad album from Van Halen I to 1984.

Amen to that statement.