[ Sign In | Register ]

If I'm remembering weren't Mal's demos basically his guitar and a drum machine? If they are working with those, do they have isolated guitar tracks? I'm guessing they would need to be re-amped.
    If Malcolm's riffs and song ideas will be used, Stevie will play the riffs, in Mal's place. I can't see that it will work in any other way.
    There was a lot of talk about a year ago that they would actually try and use Mal's own riffs from his demos. Stupid idea if you ask me. It would surely be a lot better if Ang and Stevie together tried to write som new stuff.
    Does anyone know where the whole “Mal is playing on a new record” rumor came from? Obviously the band hasn’t officially said anything, so it just seems like bs to me. Some of Mal’s ideas will probably be used, but the whole idea of them integrating his raw demos into the rest of a newly recorded song seems far fetched.

Absolutely love to hear whatever ideas he came up with. They’re considered Young family property so we’ll never get to hear them unless parts are put on a new record, but I just really wanna know what the man was up to between SUL and BI. Any experimentation? Anything absolutely killer that they just don’t think of as such?
    To be quite honest, we have no actual insight to the quality of Mal's home demos. They may be a lot further developed than him just jamming to a drum machine. We have no details to really go off of.

Depending on what exactly he did, it may not be as much work to use his guitar parts.
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinDoes anyone know where the whole “Mal is playing on a new record” rumor came from? Obviously the band hasn’t officially said anything, so it just seems like bs to me. Some of Mal’s ideas will probably be used, but the whole idea of them integrating his raw demos into the rest of a newly recorded song seems far fetched.

Absolutely love to hear whatever ideas he came up with. They’re considered Young family property so we’ll never get to hear them unless parts are put on a new record, but I just really wanna know what the man was up to between SUL and BI. Any experimentation? Anything absolutely killer that they just don’t think of as such?

Likely fanboy speculation at best. Any one of us in the forum could say Justin Hawkins is the new lead singer and six hours later Brett Buchanan will be reporting it as fact complete with a clickbait headline. It's gotten that absurd!
    Posted By: micahcarey
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinDoes anyone know where the whole “Mal is playing on a new record” rumor came from? Obviously the band hasn’t officially said anything, so it just seems like bs to me. Some of Mal’s ideas will probably be used, but the whole idea of them integrating his raw demos into the rest of a newly recorded song seems far fetched.

Likely fanboy speculation at best. Any one of us in the forum could say Justin Hawkins is the new lead singer and six hours later Brett Buchanan will be reporting it as fact complete with a clickbait headline. It's gotten that absurd!

I could be wrong about this but I believe the rumor showed up within a month or so after the Vancouver sessions went “public“. I think, if my memory serves me right, that people in Vancouver/people who were close to the studio first were the ones to make that claim. I think that a lot of that is speculation however that was somehow ballooned into what it now is.
    Posted By: IronPatriot
    Posted By: micahcarey

I could be wrong about this but I believe the rumor showed up within a month or so after the Vancouver sessions went “public“. I think, if my memory serves me right, that people in Vancouver/people who were close to the studio first were the ones to make that claim. I think that a lot of that is speculation however that was somehow ballooned into what it now is.
    Yeah, there's really no way to logically come to that conclusion that I can think of. I can just imagine some motherfucker up on the rooftop of another building with binoculars watching Angus open a file on a computer called "Mal's demos to be used on the record" ;)
    One thing's for sure, the Malcolm riffs that have still not been used on any AC/DC record surely ain't of BiB quality.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: benji
    • Jan 15th 2020

Posted By: soulstripper666One thing's for sure, the Malcolm riffs that have still not been used on any AC/DC record surely ain't of BiB quality.

BIB (the album) is in a league of its own, not just by AC/DC standards, but by rock music standards.
    Posted By: soulstripper666One thing's for sure, the Malcolm riffs that have still not been used on any AC/DC record surely ain't of BiB quality.

To be fair. They almost trashed the Back in Black riff. I’m sure there’s killer stuff they think is crap. See: Borderline and Borrowed Time
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Hamps93
    • Jan 15th 2020

Wasn’t the (rumored) tracks from when they were working in the studio in ‘05 but later scratched it?
    • AC/DC rock music: Mike206
    • Jan 15th 2020

Posted By: Spellbound

To be fair. They almost trashed the Back in Black riff. I’m sure there’s killer stuff they think is crap. See: Borderline and Borrowed Time

This ... ACDC hasn't always been the best judge of its own music.

Nothing is for sure,I still don't understand this mindset of "if they have anything good we would have heard it already".

Have seen that from various people over the years, when in reality, we don't know what they have laying in the vaults.

May not be a BIB quality riff, but then again that is an insane expectation anyways, they could still have some good stuff to be used. As stated above, regarding Down On The Borderline and Borrowed Time ect.

This is a common practice among lots of artists and bands, fishing back into the old ideas and seeing if they can polish up an old idea or re-write it a new.

This is certainly not the first time a band has done so,and not the first even AC/DC have done it. They have sat on ideas and riffs for years and years before we ever heard them,I would imagine with every record so far.

Back In Black was written by Mal as a warm up while on tour while Bon was alive,and he wasn't even considering it worthy to keep. It caught Angus's ear and he thought they should develop it further, a few years later we got to hear it.

They could and can still surprise us with some great stuff.
    Posted By: SpellboundI’m sure there’s killer stuff they think is crap. See: Borderline and Borrowed Time

and of course...

These tracks were completely recorded by mal but bootlegs. Let Rudd play drums on these tracks.

Personally I'd replace some BUYV songs with some of these.
    To be fair those two tracks weren’t scrapped because of quality. They were scrapped because they were stolen and bootlegged, so Mal started from scratch.
    Posted By: SpellboundTo be fair those two tracks weren’t scrapped because of quality. They were scrapped because they were stolen and bootlegged, so Mal started from scratch.
    Shit, I didn’t know that. A few questions:

Do they know who did it? Likely not, but I would assume it might be someone that worked in the studio, or perhaps it literally got broken into.

Secondly, why was that decision made? A good way to prevent the sale of ANY of those bootlegs would be to include the songs in a high quality recording on the actual record (insert BUYV production joke here), so it’d be utterly pointless to buy a shit quality version of the song. I suppose if the bootlegs were being made in ‘87 then that wouldn’t really matter as the record was a ways down the line, but I still don’t get how this whole thing merits just completely dropping the songs except out of pure spite.
    Couldn’t tell ya dude. That’s just the story that we all know. I haven’t seen any further details, only that it was stolen.
    if they scrapPed them because they were why did they keep Heatseeker and TTWIWTRNR

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Grim177
    • Jan 16th 2020

Posted By: SpellboundTo be fair those two tracks weren’t scrapped because of quality. They were scrapped because they were stolen and bootlegged, so Mal started from scratch.

I doubt that's true as HS and TTWIWR&R were also leaked on the exact same bootleg.

Those two tracks either just never got past demo stage or were completed (I think 16 songs was the quoted number of tracks recorded) and never released.
    Posted By: Grim177

I doubt that's true as HS and TTWIWR&R were also leaked on the exact same bootleg.

Those two tracks either just never got past demo stage or were completed (I think 16 songs was the quoted number of tracks recorded) and never released.

I completely forgot those were leaked too. I haven’t listened to those demos in almost 11 years. Good catch.

I’ve got no clue then. Lol.
    If Mal had demos with riffs I think it's very plausible they could be used on an album.

If there are timing issues, software today can easily shift timing without changing the pitch. Not saying dramatically but I wouldn't expect "dramatic" timing fixes when Malcolm Young is playing anything.

Don't see why people say his demos can't be used. If they exist, and have good riffing (you just know the playing is great), they can be used.

Remember this: people here (myself included) love the sound of the house band guitars. Guess which vintage Marshall stacks they come from? None. They're all software sounds. People get hung up on "old school" analog and shit like that but the guys here get a better software sound than most band with literally hundreds of thousands of dollars to burn. Playing over nonsense like that to me, any day.
    The idea that Mal's riff ideas could be used for an actual backing track is ludicrous.

For starters, if he used DI, you have to model an amp, which will sound inauthentic. If he actually mic'd an amp, he probably did not do it well because he was just fucking about getting ideas down. Actual producers spend weeks getting the rig set up. You think BOB would settle for some lousy mic'ing of one instrument that stands out like a sore thumb next to all of the other properly mic'd instruments?

But the real reason, if you just use your head, is that we are talking about riff ideas he threw down. That means a few bars at most. Probably not even enough for a single verse. Entire songs would have to be cobbled together by simply looping riffs and pasting it all together. Not to mention, being simple recordings meant to convey an idea and never meant to be released, they will be full of mistakes as well.

And of course, this allows Angus zero room to massage the ideas whatsoever. He is rigidly stuck with the riffs as Mal recorded them in early development stages and all he can do is pick ones that might remotely fit next to each other in a song. That is a recipe for the worst AC/DC album ever.
    • AC/DC rock music: ACDCnut
    • Jan 17th 2020

Anyone else notice any similarities between this track and the leaked Vancouver audio?

Posted By: MyCubiclePenguin

Personally I'd replace some BUYV songs with some of these.
    Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALotThe idea that Mal's riff ideas could be used for an actual backing track is ludicrous.

For starters, if he used DI, you have to model an amp, which will sound inauthentic. If he actually mic'd an amp, he probably did not do it well because he was just fucking about getting ideas down. Actual producers spend weeks getting the rig set up. You think BOB would settle for some lousy mic'ing of one instrument that stands out like a sore thumb next to all of the other properly mic'd instruments?

But the real reason, if you just use your head, is that we are talking about riff ideas he threw down. That means a few bars at most. Probably not even enough for a single verse. Entire songs would have to be cobbled together by simply looping riffs and pasting it all together. Not to mention, being simple recordings meant to convey an idea and never meant to be released, they will be full of mistakes as well.

And of course, this allows Angus zero room to massage the ideas whatsoever. He is rigidly stuck with the riffs as Mal recorded them in early development stages and all he can do is pick ones that might remotely fit next to each other in a song. That is a recipe for the worst AC/DC album ever.

You're not incorrect, but you also still don't know what Mal's demo process is like. How do you know he DIDN'T spend ages and fuck about during all those years of down time?

How do you know he doesn't have fully written songs in instrumental form, we don't.

Until we actually hear something Mal did (we haven't) it's a total mystery,whilst the idea of fully usable guitar parts being recorded is much more unlikely, it is not impossible.

Yes, it limits what they're able to do arrangement wise, but it also allows them to have Mal on the record.

We'll just have to wait and see what if anything they have or don't.
    For the record. Malcolm used Amplitube on Black Ice. There’s nothing stopping any DI demos from being on an album.

Besides Stevie of course.
    I am alright with them using Stevie to re-do Mal's written parts, I am just saying it's not impossible to make a usable track out of a well developed guitar/demo recording.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: benji
    • Jan 18th 2020

The Beatles did it in 1995 with John Lennon’s vocals:

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Treehorn
    • Jan 18th 2020

Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALotEntire songs would have to be cobbled together by simply looping riffs and pasting it all together.

Sounds eerily similar to ROB recording process...
    It absolutely can be done.

Is it ideal? No.

But when you lose the greatest heavy rock rhythm player of all time you bend the rules to get his work out there and playing along to the band with whom his legend was made.

Like anything in life, if they do it and you like it, buy it, listen to it; if you don't, ignore it.
    The Who,The Beatles,Jimi Hendrix,Michael Jackson, Quiet Riot, all have done similar things to varying success.

I am at least open to hearing what they got, it might turn out pretty damn good.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: angus1878
    • Jan 19th 2020 edited

just had my music on shuffle and WHO MADE WHO came on...i remember learning this many years ago, and i dont think ive ever spent so much time hanging on and playing a C chord with that drum beat and having so much fun doing it, ill always say if you learn to play the guitar, if you use Malcolm as inspiration, the one thing you will learn is discipline.
    Posted By: angus1878just had my music on shuffle and WHO MADE WHO came on...i remember learning this many years ago, and i dont think ive ever spent so much time hanging on and playing a C chord with that drum beat and having so much fun doing it, ill always say if you learn to play the guitar, if you use Malcolm as inspiration, the one thing you will learn is discipline.
    LTBR Donington '91 - that's discipline right there for both Slade and Mal.
    That's the same question I posed in the speculation thread not much time ago. I also doubt the whole process would work that well and it might also be some sort of publicity stunt; I suppose they'll use some old Mal ideas as always, but maybe not the original playing he did on the demos.

There's also a chance that they fucked around with some other material during the BI sessions and Brendan O.B. recorded it, so maybe he spoke with Angus and they came up with the idea of editing some of those sessions and cut/paste together new songs out of that. I think it's a fairly reasonable chance, even if I'm not sure why they wouldn't have done that on ROB already if they really had some unreleased Mal's guitar sessions.
    Posted By: nitroangus23
    You're not incorrect, but you also still don't know what Mal's demo process is like. How do you know he DIDN'T spend ages and fuck about during all those years of down time?

How do you know he doesn't have fully written songs in instrumental form, we don't.

Until we actually hear something Mal did (we haven't) it's a total mystery,whilst the idea of fully usable guitar parts being recorded is much more unlikely, it is not impossible.

Yes, it limits what they're able to do arrangement wise, but it also allows them to have Mal on the record.

I'm not saying it's categorically impossible, but highly unlikely. Especially for an entire album. Maybe one song I could believe, but that would also make that song stick out like a sore thumb from the others.
    Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALot
    Posted By: nitroangus23

I'm not saying it's categorically impossible, but highly unlikely. Especially for an entire album. Maybe one song I could believe, but that would also make that song stick out like a sore thumb from the others.
    I would think it would revolve more around the quality of the demos and just how far Mal went in the recording process - was he just doing the mid 2000s equivalent of recording any ideas that pop in your head on your cellphone, or was he sitting down to record these in a properly mic’d home studio? We really have no idea, well, at least I don’t