[ Sign In | Register ]

Just awful. Seriously tragic. I know there is a thread somewhere but hey ho. Lots of actors and musicians giving money to fund relief efforts. Maybe Angus could part with some of his millions and do the same
    Absolutely tragic .. Maybe a Sydney benefit gig ..
    • AC/DC rock music: savsav
    • Jan 9th 2020

Angus may have already done so . Not sure he is the sort to want it announcing unlike Elton John who announced it half way through a gig . Not that it matters how the money is pledged . The whole thing is just horrendous the more money they can get the better
    If Angus did/does donate, there’s no way in hell he’d make it public. He doesn’t give two shits about public image, and, if he did/does donate, it was because he genuinely wants to help instead of just making himself look good. Good on him for that mindset I say, though not in every situation. Sometimes I do wanna hear a peep from the man regarding other things.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: angus1878
    • Jan 9th 2020 edited

not if he still has anything scots in him (wink)
    I would like to think he’s donated without any public mention of doing so. We all know it’s not in their interest to do these things for public attention.
    • AC/DC rock music: BrennaB
    • Jan 10th 2020 edited

When he donated money recently to that guy who was running some marathon or race to raise money for Dementia research, that somehow was made public. Maybe the guy who donated the money to let it out. But no, I don’t see Angus (or any of them) doing some self serving announcement of what they have donated. They probably all donate to a lot of things for tax purposes. Who knows.
    I donated to Wires wildlife fund, but my donation was nothing compared to what they can do. Lol. It made me feel better to know I played a small (very small) part in helping. The animals suffering is heartbreaking.
    Yes MCP. Good point. I would like to think he/the band have agreed some sort of donation. It really is absolutely heartbreaking what has happened. Lives lost, wildlife lost, homes destroyed. My heart goes out to everyone in the land of OZ
    • AC/DC rock music: ianbigmac
    • Jan 10th 2020 edited

BrennaB any donation will be welcomed. If everyone pledged a couple of £'s, $'s Tec just think what could be raised. This is a natural disaster of gigantic proportions
    • Jan 11th 2020

Posted By: ianbigmacBrennaB any donation will be welcomed. If everyone pledged a couple of £'s, $'s Tec just think what could be raised. This is a natural disaster of gigantic proportions

I agree. My measly $50 USD isn’t much but if everyone gave just $2 it would add up tremendously. I just couldn’t not give. I think it was the picture of the Kangaroo on the fence that got burned alive that did me in. I probably shouldn’t admit this but the suffering animals hurts me more than humans. I guess because they are defenseless pretty much. I’ve seen so many dead people (mostly pictures that I had to put away in case files lol) that I’ve almost grown desensitized to it, at least if I don’t know them. Pictures anyway. I’m sure if I had to see more in person it would be different. Most of them died because they did something stupid.
    I’m just a sucker for animals.
    I have a stupid question about Koalas. Remember, I live isn the US so don’t laugh at me. We don’t have Kangaroos or Koalas. I have seen so many videos of people holding Koalas in their arms carrying them to safety and they seem so docile. Are they really that unbothered by humans? I saw a video where one guy had like 10 of them in his car that he had picked up to take to a rescue because they all had burned paws. For wild animals they sure seemed tame. I was just wondering if they are always like that. I know Kangaroos can be assholes but I was just wondering about the Koalas.

Sorry for the off topic, but nothing else seems to be happening.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Starsky
    • Jan 11th 2020

Posted By: BrennaB
    I have a stupid question about Koalas. Remember, I live isn the US so don’t laugh at me. We don’t have Kangaroos or Koalas. I have seen so many videos of people holding Koalas in their arms carrying them to safety and they seem so docile. Are they really that unbothered by humans? I saw a video where one guy had like 10 of them in his car that he had picked up to take to a rescue because they all had burned paws. For wild animals they sure seemed tame. I was just wondering if they are always like that.

Animals act like that when in shock, especially the smarter ones. In case of life-threatening situations/injuries, they will let humans help them, even if they would normally avoid them at all costs. Here in Estonia last year, a man saved a wild wolf from freezing that almost drowned in a river, I think it was. The wolf let the man pick him up, wrap in a blanket and put him in a car. They drove to the vet, the wolf sitting in the back like a dog. The wolf got aided at the vet and was let back into the wild in no time.
    • Jan 12th 2020

Posted By: Starsky
    Posted By: BrennaB
    I have a stupid question about Koalas. Remember, I live isn the US so don’t laugh at me. We don’t have Kangaroos or Koalas. I have seen so many videos of people holding Koalas in their arms carrying them to safety and they seem so docile. Are they really that unbothered by humans? I saw a video where one guy had like 10 of them in his car that he had picked up to take to a rescue because they all had burned paws. For wild animals they sure seemed tame. I was just wondering if they are always like that.

Animals act like that when in shock, especially the smarter ones. In case of life-threatening situations/injuries, they will let humans help them, even if they would normally avoid them at all costs. Here in Estonia last year, a man saved a wild wolf from freezing that almost drowned in a river, I think it was. The wolf let the man pick him up, wrap in a blanket and put him in a car. They drove to the vet, the wolf sitting in the back like a dog. The wolf got aided at the vet and was let back into the wild in no time.

Cool. Thanks for answering me. :)
    Apologise for correcting anyone but intelligence certainly isn’t the case with Koalas. They have a brain around the size of a walnut. They sleep for around 20 hours per day & are quite docile. Kangaroos generally stay away from you unless they’re handled by humans regularly. My street is full of Kangaroos most evenings, they’re very afraid of you.

I’m by no means an expert, just an Aussie. It’s very sad what our animals are enduring with these horrific fires.
    Kangaroos are pussy's

• AC/DC rock music: Gavin82
    • Jan 12th 2020

Gutted for everyone effected poor animals as well
    • Jan 13th 2020

Posted By: HighVoltageApologise for correcting anyone but intelligence certainly isn’t the case with Koalas. They have a brain around the size of a walnut. They sleep for around 20 hours per day & are quite docile. Kangaroos generally stay away from you unless they’re handled by humans regularly. My street is full of Kangaroos most evenings, they’re very afraid of you.

I’m by no means an expert, just an Aussie. It’s very sad what our animals are enduring with these horrific fires.

The Koalas seem so sweet. I wish I could take one home. Haha. Stupid it not. I’ve seen where Kangaroos can be assholes but I still think they are cool, I would wish them no harm. I hope there will be some relief soon for you guys. Even after the fires stop it will be a very long time before there is any semblance of normal I’m sure. :(
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Starsky
    • Jan 13th 2020 edited

Posted By: HighVoltageApologise for correcting anyone but intelligence certainly isn’t the case with Koalas. They have a brain around the size of a walnut.

Koalas sure aren't intelligent. I didn't reference to them in my previous comment, but to other animals, canines and felines for example, who have a quite high intelligence level.
    E: By the way, ravens are one of the most intelligent animals there are, they have a developed sense of humor and often seek for entertainment. I have seen them sledge down a snowy roof on a leaf, then pick up the leaf and fly up onto the roof and sledge down again.
    Posted By: ianbigmacKangaroos are pussy's

One of the best videos to ever grace the internet. Never seen a kangaroo in real life - do they often put dogs in chokeholds and look so fucking hilarious/cute while doing it, then proceed to act out the climax to any one of the Rocky movies?

Seriously, that motherfucker looked completely baffled when he got hit, like his entire world was torn down and rebuilt simultaneously before his eyes. It took him a moment to gain a hold on reality and then hop the fuck outta there. Brilliant.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: bonlives
    • Jan 14th 2020

All, thank you for your thoughts.

This truly is a terrible tragedy with no sign of letting up anytime soon. Something like 50mm of rain is needed in a single downpour to get this shit under control - these are regions that haven’t seen 50mm in total for years. This is a fucking nightmare situation.

Homes lost, lives and livelihoods lost and estimates of over half a billion (yes, billion) native Australian animals lost so far.

In Perth, we’ve been lucky so far - we’ve had a handful of relatively small fires break out (including one a couple of kilometers from my house on Friday - watching water bombing helicopters do their thing down the road is not something you see every day). But we’ve known the devastation of catastrophic fires in recent years, and it’s an ever-present threat for a large percentage of Perth’s population, so we feel the pain of our neighbours over east right now.

Thanks to those of you who have donated to help with the various efforts going on to put the fires out, support people who have lost homes and loved ones, and treat injured wildlife. You can be sure your donations will be put to good use so long as you take a little time to make sure you’re sending money to a registered Australian charity. If in doubt, just ask and I’d be happy to do some checking on your behalf. Be a little wary of pop-up Go Fund Me pages and the like. As much as I’d like to believe they’re all legit, there have been some reports of dodgy fundraisers being set up.

As Ian mentioned you may have heard there have been some very large donations made by various artists, celebrities, prominent Australian business folk and Australian companies - thank you Metallica and others.

If anyone is wanting to donate, and like me (and Brenna) feels particularly saddened by the devastation to Australia’s wildlife, there are a couple of groups in South Australia doing amazing rescue work with koalas and other furry critters. I can no longer bare to look at pictures or videos of koalas affected by the fires - the population of one of our iconic animals has been decimated and it’s fucking heartbreaking.

Here’s a link telling more about their work, with links at the bottom to the actual groups and ways to contribute to their rescue work.

https://7news.com.au...

Again, thank you for your thoughts. Australia’s feeling the love.
    •  
    • Jan 14th 2020

And for a bit of light relief... enjoy!

^hilarious. Typical good Aussie humour and good way to raise awareness
    • Jan 15th 2020

I read somewhere today that the estimated loss of wildlife is closer to a billion now. I can’t look at the pictures anymore either. I was just looking at some on IG and had to stop, told myself not to do it anymore.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: marcinha
    • Jan 15th 2020 edited

Posted By: bonlivesAll, thank you for your thoughts.

This truly is a terrible tragedy with no sign of letting up anytime soon. Something like 50mm of rain is needed in a single downpour to get this shit under control - these are regions that haven’t seen 50mm in total for years. This is a fucking nightmare situation.

Homes lost, lives and livelihoods lost and estimates of over half a billion (yes, billion) native Australian animals lost so far.

In Perth, we’ve been lucky so far - we’ve had a handful of relatively small fires break out (including one a couple of kilometers from my house on Friday - watching water bombing helicopters do their thing down the road is not something you see every day). But we’ve known the devastation of catastrophic fires in recent years, and it’s an ever-present threat for a large percentage of Perth’s population, so we feel the pain of our neighbours over east right now.

Thanks to those of you who have donated to help with the various efforts going on to put the fires out, support people who have lost homes and loved ones, and treat injured wildlife. You can be sure your donations will be put to good use so long as you take a little time to make sure you’re sending money to a registered Australian charity. If in doubt, just ask and I’d be happy to do some checking on your behalf. Be a little wary of pop-up Go Fund Me pages and the like. As much as I’d like to believe they’re all legit, there have been some reports of dodgy fundraisers being set up.

As Ian mentioned you may have heard there have been some very large donations made by various artists, celebrities, prominent Australian business folk and Australian companies - thank you Metallica and others.

If anyone is wanting to donate, and like me (and Brenna) feels particularly saddened by the devastation to Australia’s wildlife, there are a couple of groups in South Australia doing amazing rescue work with koalas and other furry critters. I can no longer bare to look at pictures or videos of koalas affected by the fires - the population of one of our iconic animals has been decimated and it’s fucking heartbreaking.

Here’s a link telling more about their work, with links at the bottom to the actual groups and ways to contribute to their rescue work.

Well, if you want to keep getting what you're getting, keep doing what you're doing.
    Posted By: bonlivesAll, thank you for your thoughts.

Well said bonlives. I'm in Brisbane, Australia and there are areas near us such as the Gold Coast Hinterland and Sunshine Coast that have been affected but nothing like what we are seeing in the states of New South Wales, Victoria and South Australia where it is absolutely devastating, catostrophic and horrible to say the least. It's so sad to see this happening to our country, wildlife and people... ;-(
    As Bonlives mentioned there are some great charities doing amazing selfless work but there are dodgy sites popping up online as well, bloody vultures! The Australian Red Cross, Rural Fire Service plus other charities are doing fabulous work.
    •  
    • 5 days ago

https://www.perthnow...

This is awful news. Thank you to our US friends who gave their lives trying to help, and deepest condolences to the families who have lost their loved ones.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: FreoBoy
    • 5 days ago

Terrible news. condolences.
    Wow, that is tragic.
    Very sad ;-(