[ Sign In | Register ]

RoB. No Mal, no good.
    I can’t see beyond that. If the songs had merited repeated listens maybe I could have tried harder. Production is good and clear. Makes Mal all the more missed.
    DDDC is comparable to Ballbreaker. A solid effort, but didn't reach the height of the other albums. The same can be said for ROB. A solid LP, but didn't reach the heights of Black Ice.
    ROB is a fun album but not what I would consider essential listening. For all the drama that surrounded its release, they did well. It was about what you would realistically hope for from a band 40 years in. It’s fun. It’s a good record.
    Dirty Deeds is fantastic.

Each record holds a place in rotation for me,I can throw on any one of them and have a good time.

Sure I have my favorites...we all do,but I can rock out to There's Gonna Be Some Rockin' just the same as Thunderstruck or Danger.

One band where if I'm out and about it's just good to hear them being played no matter the tune.

Realistically there are 3 songs I absolutely just have no love for, Love Song,Anything Goes,and Emission Control.....

As for Rock Or Bust, I enjoy many of the songs and they are good for where the band is at this moment in time, however I listen to it less frequently than most. When it's on I crank it up, but I end up annoyed that the songs are over before they've totally got going. Play Ball is so catchy,I am always a sucker for those finger picking riffs yet It's so short I end feeling a bit ripped off. I am happy Brian sounds so great on the record also, if it's the last one at least he was represented nicely.

Still, the boys sound good and they do fine trying to fill Mal's absence. The title track is a late era classic in my eyes, sits right beside Ballbreaker,Hard As A Rock,Stiff Upper Lip, and I suppose Rock 'N Roll Train.
    Dirty Deeds is the stinker of its era. There are a couple songs on there that band toured on so much they became classics, but they aren’t by nature.
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Jan 10th 2020

Posted By: nitroangus23I am happy Brian sounds so great on the record also, if it's the last one at least he was represented nicely.

And with the wonders of film and soft lenses, they even looked pretty good for a bunch of old, balding guys.

How on earth did Angus go from those Japanese grandma images to how he looked in Play Ball?!
    • AC/DC rock music: ACDCnut
    • Jan 10th 2020

It’s a fine album, still listen to it regularly.

I think I enjoyed the build up to it as much as the album :)
    ROB is a good album song wise. But the production just don't cut it. I have it on vinyl and cd both don't sound good. when you crank it everything sounds like mush even at low volume it sounds like mush. BI sound alot better. Just listen (it might be how the drums were recorded on ROB)

• Jan 10th 2020

I prefer RoB's sound, the guitars are so much more natural sounding compared to BI. Both sound pretty good, but RoB's got a nice overall feel to its core sounds, and mix.

I think Skies is one of the best-sounding ones on RoB, whereas Miss Adventure is a little cluttered, though I got used to it after a while.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Meanstreak
    • Jan 10th 2020 edited

DDDC the title track is indisputably a very huge hard rock song. The album sounds spontaneous and if as it was put together quickly due to the band being eager touring again.
    Posted By: 900I prefer RoB's sound, the guitars are so much more natural sounding compared to BI. Both sound pretty good, but RoB's got a nice overall feel to its core sounds, and mix.

I think Skies is one of the best-sounding ones on RoB, whereas Miss Adventure is a little cluttered, though I got used to it after a while.
    ROB’s guitars sound much better than BI’s, which occasionally feel somewhat artificial, but vocally BI wins. Brian sounds almost identical on both (though a bit more natural on BI), but I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - what the actual fuck is happening in Miss Adventure’s backing vocals. The grimy gang vocals found on tracks like War Machine are some of the best bits of the record IMO, so that aspect of ROB was disappointing. I wonder how much Mal’s absence affected that, because I would assume he’s louder than Cliff. Whenever I hear “coooome aaaand geeet iiiit” I envision Mal, but I could be wrong. Maybe a bit Angus in there, too, and didn’t Mutt also join in on backing vocals when he was involved?
    DDDDC is comparable to Ballbreaker and is the stinker of its era. Dear oh dear oh dear.
    Regarding Dirty Deeds, I just have the international version but like it a LOT more than my international High Voltage. I think it's a great album with menace, sadness, old time rock n roll and loads of fun.

Regarding BOB as a producer: he got great performances from Brian, so that alone buys him a lot of goodwill in my book. That said, the album is a bit too polished for my tastes. I don't see him at all as being an "executive producer" who guides the vision of an album and sometimes directs a band to step beyond their comfort zone. He "gets sounds," that's it.

I would give the left nut of many a person here to get someone who shook some sense into Angus and demanded that a) song arrangements be fully and properly thought out and b) that the lyrics be improved beyond grade-school cliches that have absolutely zero street edge or sex appeal even though they, ostensibly, cover topics about partying, being a "rocker," and sex.

But won't happen. Many of the lads here can breathe easily.
    Posted By: WarMachine73DDDDC is comparable to Ballbreaker and is the stinker of its era. Dear oh dear oh dear.

Give the dude some slack, he’s a hardcore Brianist and was a bit butthurt over the lack of love for everything post ‘83.
    Ballbreaker is a very solid album, at least musically.
    Posted By: Bedlam_in_TorontoRegarding BOB as a producer: he got great performances from Brian, so that alone buys him a lot of goodwill in my book. That said, the album is a bit too polished for my tastes. I don't see him at all as being an "executive producer" who guides the vision of an album and sometimes directs a band to step beyond their comfort zone. He "gets sounds," that's it.
    Very well said, though the era of ACDC putting out albums consisting of 3 to 3 1/2 minute long songs began with BI, so I suppose his vision as an executive producer was to make things shorter and catchier.

I would give the left nut of many a person here to get someone who shook some sense into Angus and demanded that a) song arrangements be fully and properly thought out and b) that the lyrics be improved beyond grade-school cliches that have absolutely zero street edge or sex appeal even though they, ostensibly, cover topics about partying, being a "rocker," and sex.
    Makes me wonder what kind of record we'd get it someone from this forum - perhaps Mati - produced an actual ACDC record. It must be an interesting experience, cause I wouldn't think that many modern producers wouldn't just walk into the studio with a legendary rock band such as ACDC and say "alright, you need to change this and this and this to get the kind of record I want you to make", but I really don't have a clue. Also, I don't think Angus would like being bossed around.

Posted By: WarMachine73DDDDC is comparable to Ballbreaker and is the stinker of its era. Dear oh dear oh dear.
    I will never understand the copious amounts of shit BB gets. Disregarding lyrics (which I un-ironically find to be occasionally funny), it's a pretty strong record IMO. What exactly is it about that record that a lot of people dislike, because, when it comes to the musical aspect of things the only track I don't substantially enjoy is Love Bomb. There are lots of more unique tracks, like Burnin' Alive, The Furor, Whiskey on the Rocks, and Boogie Man, that were all pretty well done, and HC and the title track are fucking great. Even CWYPD and CYIO are fun as hell for me, and HAAR has one of the most glorious moments in all of ACDC's catalog - the return of God to the drumkit. I love how the song doesn't give you Rudd in full force right off the bat, as he does a bit of pounding before he finally takes off at the one minute mark. Chills.
    Posted By: MeanstreakBallbreaker is a very solid album, at least musically.
    Thank you
    (Half of) DDDDC is shithouse. As said by Bon himself.
    That’s compared to the rest of Bon albums. If Bon heard anything post 80 he would freak. Just like Mal freaked when he heard FTATR. But FTATR has much better songs than anything post 83 so Mal may have been a it hasty.
    6 classics on DDDDC, no album after 80 had 6 classics. Not one. BB had 2 maybe 3. Rob has 2 maybe 3 etc
    Posted By: WarMachine73That’s compared to the rest of Bon albums. If Bon heard anything post 80 he would freak. Just like Mal freaked when he heard FTATR. But FTATR has much better songs than anything post 83 so Mal may have been a it hasty.

Half of Dirty Deeds doesn’t even hold up to BI. Half of DDDDC is awesome, the other half is just filler to add run time.
    Now your just being silly!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Belford74
    • Jan 10th 2020

Dirty Deeds is the sound of a real rocknroll band in the studio letting rip...you can smell the sex, cigarettes and booze....why the hell anyone would even remotely consider Ballbreaker a superior album is frankly beyond me....
    I like it way better now than when it first came out. I rarely listened to the entire album. Just the first three songs. Now I quite enjoy it.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Jan 10th 2020

Posted By: MeanstreakDDDC the title track is indisputably a very huge hard rock song. The album sounds spontaneous and if as it was put together quickly due to the band being eager touring again.

From what I gather, the album was thrown together. The band would roll into Albert studios at all hours after a gig, crank out a few riffs, ask Bon to scribble a few lines into his book of naughty poems and the next thing you know, a song would be born. And even at that, I think there's more verve on TGBSR than the whole of Ballbreaker.
    Posted By: WarMachine73If Bon heard anything post 80 he would freak.

No he wouldn't. Bon was happy to sing Love Song, Big Balls and Little Lover. Those songs are worse than anything post 80.
    Posted By: ShootToThrill
    Posted By: WarMachine73If Bon heard anything post 80 he would freak.

No he wouldn't. Bon was happy to sing Love Song, Big Balls and Little Lover. Those songs are worse than anything post 80.

Wash your mouth out!! LL is great. Big Balls was at least an obvious parody...
    Posted By: MeanstreakBallbreaker is a very solid album, at least musically.

I love BB. The more intimate production really suited some of the bluesier stuff Angus was bringing back to the fore. Forget the lyrics.
    Kick the dust, wipe the crime from the main street
    Await the coming of the lord
    Hangin' round with them low down and dirty
    Bringing order from the boss
    What's the furor 'bout it all
    Leave you pantin' bust your balls
    Kicked around, messed about, get your hands dirty
    On the killin' floor
    I'm your furor
    I'm your furor baby
    Frame of mind, cross the line to a new state
    I can shake the law
    Find a mine, gonna build me a new place
    No knockin' door to door

These are very good lyrics to me. I can't think of better Young & Young words.
    Makes me wonder what kind of record we'd get it someone from this forum - perhaps Mati - produced an actual ACDC record. It must be an interesting experience, cause I wouldn't think that many modern producers wouldn't just walk into the studio with a legendary rock band such as ACDC and say "alright, you need to change this and this and this to get the kind of record I want you to make", but I really don't have a clue. Also, I don't think Angus would like being bossed around.

This would be a cool fantasy: no ones (but huge fans) on a message board telling Angus and the boys, no, that song's not finished: we need an outro. No, no, extend that part and go into a breakdown. Angus, Angus, these words are laughable. Here's a pen, go into that room and don't come out till have you two lines with no cliches in them and do not use the word "rock." I mean it.

I would love it. And, yes, I believe a few of us here could help guide Angus' true musical genius to more ambitious places. He's mailing in the song structures now.
    I can already anticipate the backlash but sometimes icons get their heads so far up their asses they think they are infallible and immune to creative devolution. Is it any wonder most "iconic" bands have their strongest catalogues when they are young, hungry — and have a producer guiding the vision?
    Love ROB the song, best in 20 years for me so that alone makes it worth it, and I love a couple others and like a couple more to boot. Probably 3 I would just prefer to skip, not bad for 65-70+ year old hard rockers. I agree about all the negative DDDDC comments, to me the filler on there is below 1990 and newer filller, though there is only 3 (BB, TGBSR & ANF (WRTBAM) they are WAY worse than any other Bon album filler (American releases). I used to love PC & LAFF but I guess they haven't held up for me really great. Rocker is also way better live..
    Posted By: Spellbound(Half of) DDDDC is shithouse. As said by Bon himself.

Just because Bon said that, doesn't make it true. The sheer amount of quality music recorded in his tenure is just very high.

DDDDC when compared to LTBR,Powerage,and Highway may not stand quite as tall, but it certainly isn't a "bad" record. It's still got plenty of good stuff in it.

John Lennon has famously slagged off quite a few of The Beatles' greatest tunes, however it doesn't automatically make it so.Sure, his thoughts and Bons are valid but they are also opinions, much like our thoughts on them are.

You can bet there are just as many fans of Dirty Deeds out there as there are those who find it inferior to the other Bon records,as evident by this thread. I had never heard it talked of as such until I started posting on this very site actually.

Hell there are people here who find LTBR badly produced.... opinions are all over the place sometimes,but it makes for interesting conversation...to say the least.
    Dirty deeds is a damn dud. Title track rules, big balls is fun, love at first feel is great. The rest of it is pretty generic. The production rules. It’s ass licking music. But it’s the least interesting album then ever made.

On the contrary, ballbreaker is a masterpiece.
    You seem to have masterpiece confused with codpiece.

Ballbreaker is a great only if compared to say... RoB.
    I thought it all stopped after black ice!
    Well it did for me
    Love the furor. It’s a classic for me alongside title track. Love HAAR and burnin alive as well. Rest Of the album I wouldn’t miss if they never made them. HC is nearly there but not quite, bit like SINYC. It’s all about opinions and when you got into the band I guess. But DDDDC is a classic album, songs are great, lyrics are great, love the lyric sheet and pics inner sleeve, and loved getting the Aussie version with 2 new songs. The band were also on fire live.
    Posted By: 900I re-read that Mal interview earlier, where he says they only like FTATR off that album. I really hope they've changed their views later on, with the benefit of time. I listen to Breaking The Rules, Spellbound and a couple of others and enjoy them as much as anything they've ever done.

As early as 1985 or so, I remember Angus saying his favorite song of theirs was Breaking the Rules. So Mal certainly doesn't speak for the whole band.

Posted By: BonneedsPenicillinROB is a good album song wise. But the production just don't cut it. I have it on vinyl and cd both don't sound good. when you crank it everything sounds like mush even at low volume it sounds like mush. BI sound alot better. Just listen (it might be how the drums were recorded on ROB)

Both are brickwalled to shit. BOB should be chased out of the entire recording industry.

Posted By: MeanstreakDDDC the title track is indisputably a very huge hard rock song. The album sounds spontaneous and if as it was put together quickly due to the band being eager touring again.

Didn't they literally record it in at least two different studios or sessions while on tour?

Posted By: Belford74Dirty Deeds is the sound of a real rocknroll band in the studio letting rip...you can smell the sex, cigarettes and booze....why the hell anyone would even remotely consider Ballbreaker a superior album is frankly beyond me....

Yeah, There's Gonna Be Some Rockin' really blows away Burnin Alive... /s
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DrBelford
    • Jan 17th 2020

Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALot
    Yeah, There's Gonna Be Some Rockin' really blows away Burnin Alive... /s

Good point. If that song would be on any later ACDC album, people on here would call it uninspired, boring, filler,
    no energy, tired, etc.

As I already stated, I'm a "Bon fan", but sometimes there's simply too much bias / double standards.

"There's Gonna Be Some Rockin'" is just a nice RnR standard, well executed...but nothing more, nothing less.
    • Jan 17th 2020

Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALotAs early as 1985 or so, I remember Angus saying his favorite song of theirs was Breaking the Rules. So Mal certainly doesn't speak for the whole band.

Indeed, I remember him mentioning it in that 1985 Kerrang interview.
    • AC/DC rock music: jthshark
    • Jan 19th 2020

For me Rock or Bust is underrated and while Black Ice is not perfect it has a couple of songs that I always go back to
    I loved ROB, maybe it won't become a bonafide "classic" but if we want to be honest and put personal taste aside we could say the same for most of the stuff they did after FTATR (speaking about full albums, not singles or such). I prefer it over BI; it sounds better (especially the guitars, the most powerful they had in quite a long time) and it's short and sweet. I can listen to it from start to finish and then play it again and I enjoy it a lot. BI could have done with 10 songs, there were a lot of fillers and it sounded more commercial in my opinion, ROB rocks harder. Brian sings great on both albums. Maybe they added a bit too many backing vocals-layers which make it sound a little over-produced on songs like MA or GSR&RT but I guess it compensates for the very basic song-structures. Solos are short but really nice, the one on DOW is one of the best Angus pulled in the '00 years. I think ROB is the epitome of "less is more", goes straight to the point, rocks hard and it has a few surprises (the "ledzeppelin-esque" RTH being one of them).

On the other topics:

I think it's unfair to compare material from very different eras of the band, like comparing DDDDC to ROB. It doesn't make much sense to me for such a number of obvious reasons that I don't even feel like elaborating on that.

In regards to DDDDC, I do agree it isn't the strongest of the Bon's era but it's one of those albums that I listen to the whole time. It's sleazy, dirty, raw and mean and somehow perfectly represents the hunger of the band during those times. I prefer the aussie version without a doubt but it's a pity it doesn't include LAFF cause it was a great song. The title-track, PC and JB are absolute classics for me but I love dearly most of the songs, maybe with the exception of TGBSR and RIP that are clearly fillers (not terrible ones though).
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: marcinha
    • Jan 20th 2020

Shite
    Posted By: marcinhaShite
    Ah, so this is DustDevil’s second account ;)
    Personally I like the Rock or Bust album. It has an old school Rock feel to it. Simple but affective. The song 'Baptism by Fire' is a fantastic song and one of the best songs I've heard from them in a while. I think they should have released that song as the first single released from the album and I think they made a mistake not releasing it as the main single from the album. The Rock or Bust album is no Highway to Hell but it's very solid and as good if not better than other albums they've released in the past 20 years.
    Posted By: Spellbound
    Posted By: WarMachine73That’s compared to the rest of Bon albums. If Bon heard anything post 80 he would freak. Just like Mal freaked when he heard FTATR. But FTATR has much better songs than anything post 83 so Mal may have been a it hasty.

Half of Dirty Deeds doesn’t even hold up to BI. Half of DDDDC is awesome, the other half is just filler to add run time.

Disagree! Dirty Deeds pisses all over both Black Ice and Ballbreaker, just my opinion of course. Dirty Deeds has got far more character & charisma than those albums and it feels raw, real, bluesy, dirty, genuine and not over produced. Considering that they didn't have the same technology to play with in the studio and in production I think the songs on Dirty Deeds albums absolutely piss all over the Black Ice & Ballbreaker albums.
    There are several classics on the Dirty Deeds album and outside of the AC/DC fans the songs from Black Ice and Ballbreaker are mostly unknown other than a couple of the singles that were released. I think Dirty Deeds is a fantastic album.
    Posted By: marcinhaShite

with shite on top
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: SHOO23L
    • 5 days ago

Posted By: Brads AC/DC
    Posted By: Spellbound

Disagree! Dirty Deeds pisses all over both Black Ice and Ballbreaker, just my opinion of course. Dirty Deeds has got far more character & charisma than those albums and it feels raw, real, bluesy, dirty, genuine and not over produced. Considering that they didn't have the same technology to play with in the studio and in production I think the songs on Dirty Deeds albums absolutely piss all over the Black Ice & Ballbreaker albums.
    There are several classics on the Dirty Deeds album and outside of the AC/DC fans the songs from Black Ice and Ballbreaker are mostly unknown other than a couple of the singles that were released. I think Dirty Deeds is a fantastic album.

Dirty Deeds has a number of similarities to Black Ice, the main one being that it features a number of one idea songs that come across as underdeveloped, especially when pitted against the fleshed-out tracks on the album.

Dirry Deeds, Jailbreak, Problem Child, and Ride On are excellent songs.
    RIP, Love At First Feel, and There's Gonna Be Some Rockin', while each having their own charm, are as generic as AC/DC songs come; they each sound like they were written in about 30 minutes.
    Big Balls, Ain't No Fun, and Squealer come across as completely underdeveloped; they're really one-idea backing tracks for Bon's lyrics. That's especially a shame in the case of Ain't No Fun's main, which should have the potential of becoming another I's A Long Way To The Top.
    For me the Bon era was more raw and had an edge both with lyrics and how the music sounded. Nothing against Mutt--but the rawness of the how the songs were recorded is obvious
    It's 'OK.'
    It sounds 'excited', but not exciting. it lacks Mal's nous, obviously. The songs for the majority lack.......songs.
    Wasn't it Bon that once said, 'We're in the needing stage......we need songs!'
    The ideas are there, but the brevity angle doesn't do it the best of justice.

But for a band who play this type of rock & roll, to get a release at all, was more than could be expected.