[ Sign In | Register ]

It’s been five years. Hard for me to believe, as it was the first record they released in the time that I’ve been a fan. Even more difficult for me to believe is that it was the 2nd Brian-era record I ever listened to.

Looking at it, it’s a bit of an interesting record. I quite like BI despite the fact that some songs should have been cut, and feel that it displays some of the best tracks of their “later” period, but ROB is lacking much of that specialness. If I had to describe it, I’d say that it’s consistently good - not great, but not bad. I really just can’t put my finger on it, because the songs I’m hearing are good, but I have no desire to go back and listen to them. Songs like CSRAR have the exact opposite effect - I have a hard time saying that that song isn’t uninspired, but goddamn I love the feel on it, everything Mal and Rudd do on it is brilliant, and Angus’ solo is just so yummy and natural.

Speaking more positively, Brian sounds great, and though less powerful, has much more wetness and soul in his voice, and he sounds like he’s having fun. Essentially in line with BI, which is a good thing. Rudd sounds good to me, though I think the nature of the songs and the production don’t bring out the groove very well (which I would think is why some question whether it’s actually him or Slade). Angus sounds great, but I wish his solos were less than 20 seconds long (which is a completely different topic). Cliff is louder, and is a key part of GSRNRT for example. Stevie also does great, but it saddens me whenever I envision Mal not being there.

As for the songs, there are a few semi-highlights: Play Ball is pretty damn good, Rock the House is perhaps the best display of rhythm on the whole record, and the melodies of GSRNRT are also a highlight for me (I’m prepared to be tarred and feathered).

All in all, it’s a fun record, but not one I go to that often. I’m pissed that I missed out on the tour, as it might have been my only chance to ever see them, but we’ll see.
    I'm always shocked about people not considering Baptism By Fire one of their bests since Thunderstruck.
    It's raw, savage, bad ass. Hands down the best of the album by far for me.
    It stands out as the best on this really good AC/DC record.
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Jan 7th 2020

Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinAll in all, it’s a fun record

It is. It has some of that FOTW party spirit to it.

Posted By: Pedro HodeckerI'm always shocked about people not considering Baptism By Fire one of their bests since Thunderstruck.

Good song! Jem's initial reaction was best song since Guns For Hire, so it has its fans.

For me, a surprisingly upbeat, enjoyable record. After the nice assortment of good songs on BI, I thought they'd stodge-out a bit, like the weaker parts of SUL. However, the riffs and choruses sound bright and punchy.

Some great songs, plenty of good ones, and Rock n Roll Thunder. Even that's not awful, it just has no place on an AC/DC album.

What might have been? Those songs with Brian writing, less fucking about in the mix, and better arrangements and solos....could have been fantastic (as with BI). But it's still a damn good record to finish with, if that's it.
    Posted By: 900
    What might have been? Those songs with Brian writing, less fucking about in the mix, and better arrangements and solos....could have been fantastic (as with BI). But it's still a damn good record to finish with, if that's it.
    I could totally see that. Make it a bit more natural, add a bit of diversity in the arrangement/length department, and perhaps a few other changes and it might be something I’d go to a lot more often.

BBF used to be my favorite from the record, but it has fallen in with much of the rest of it as something I rarely listen to. Great riff, wonderful guitar punch in the verses, but I just can’t do it that often.

The whole thing seems to appeal to a more specific mood for me, same with BI, whereas SUL and BB are records I can almost always put on and enjoy. I suppose they’re more casual in that sense. Perhaps I’ll try listening to ROB MORE to see if it has a different sort of effect.
    I think ROB is a good album and that's about it. I just wish some tracks had extended solos, or breaks, or change in timing or riff patterns or something to set them apart. It sounds like an album of single 45's from the 1960's. It's an album, put some album tracks on there!
    • AC/DC rock music: nimeta
    • Jan 7th 2020

I liked it...but not listened to it for a few years and too much other great shit in the AC/DC back catalogue which means it might be a few more years before I get round to listening it to it again

Amazing how I always seem to gravitate to Powerage and FOTS when it comes to ACDC studio albums !!!
    • Jan 7th 2020

Posted By: Angus12345It sounds like an album of single 45's from the 1960's

Play Ball really has that feel, you can almost visualise a 45 rotating on an old turntable!

I feel fortunate that I really like ROB, as I know not everyone is so keen. I just like the energy, the riffs, the fact that there are so many sing-along choruses - it's like the old days.
    Play Ball reminds me a little of something akin to a children's song, especially the live version.
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Jan 7th 2020

Posted By: Angus12345 It sounds like an album of single 45's from the 1960's.

More like the b-sides of 45s from the sixties.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Jan 7th 2020

Posted By: Angus12345I think ROB is a good album and that's about it. I just wish some tracks had extended solos, or breaks, or change in timing or riff patterns or something to set them apart. It sounds like an album of single 45's from the 1960's. It's an album, put some album tracks on there!

I agree. The band got so hung up on this idea of brevity of the recording process that it affected their songwriting. It's not like I'm asking for Frank Zappa stuff, but AC/DC songs have had little arrangement touches which add depth. Take 'Damned' on SUL, for example. A lot of people call it a boring song, but it's got more light and shade than the best stuff on RoB. More little brush strokes, so to speak.

That doesn't mean RoB is a bad album by any stretch, but it feels like it went through one too few rounds of creative development.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: jonalba
    • Jan 7th 2020

ROB NYC was the greatest night of my life.

Period.
    The first 3 tracks are solid as a rock, and a fair effort for a band at the tail end of their career.
    Posted By: magpies1990_77a fair effort for a band at the tail end of their career.

That describes the album for me. Other than that, I wouldn't hold it in very high regard. I can still rock to it
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Jan 8th 2020

Very good, all things considered.
    • AC/DC rock music: Big Rab
    • Jan 8th 2020

I still play it regularly it's a fine album.
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinSongs like CSRAR have the exact opposite effect - I have a hard time saying that that song isn’t uninspired, but goddamn I love the feel on it, everything Mal and Rudd do on it is brilliant, and Angus’ solo is just so yummy and natural.

Rudd sounds good to me, though I think the nature of the songs and the production don’t bring out the groove very well (which I would think is why some question whether it’s actually him or Slade). Angus sounds great, but I wish his solos were less than 20 seconds long (which is a completely different topic).

You said it yourself why CSRAR is great; the groove on SUL was sublime. The whole band were locked in and clearly just having more fun than, I think, any album since Powerage or HTH. It's just a party record IMO.

Also, the last album where Angus was allowed to fucking solo! UGH. Especially with the SVDS system making his tone sound awesome on ROB, he really should have let it rip. Like, I know you think of solos as part of the song and everything Angus, but NOBODY would begrudge your for indulging at this point in your career. You have earned the right to solo as much as you fucking want!

On the larger subject of ROB, I dig it, but it also has some duds. About half and half. At least the production isn't as bad as BI. I hardly listen to that one.

Best tracks:

Hard Times has a really '80s era vibe to the chorus, reminds me of WMW or something from BUYV. By far the standout track, and my favorite.

Baptism is just a great riff. 'Nuff said.

Dogs of War. Duh.

Miss Adventure is really underrated, I love that building riff, the Razors Edge style backing vocals, the spaces in the verse riff, and just the word "confidential" being used (a throwback to Backseat Confidential? Probably not, but I like to think so).

Emission Control is also underrated with that awesome funky main riff. I love when Ang goes funky, like in Meanstreak.
    • AC/DC rock music: savsav
    • Jan 8th 2020

I'm a big fan of ROB . To me it sounds fresh and alive . A great effort from the band and miles better that i thought it was going to be . I listen to tracks from it all of the time .
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Ian Sane
    • Jan 8th 2020

I think Rock or Bust is a decent late period release for the band.
    If the rumoured forthcoming new album is as good, I'll be happy.
    Never saw the appeal of this Baptism By Fire track many love. Will give it another listen.

I've played Rock Or Bust a handful of times end to end. Aside from the title track, nothing stood out as possibly top notch. Play Ball is fun but light. I like Sweet Candy for the music but the lyrics are cringe worthy...

My grade would be a C- as I think it's a forgettable album that had its arrangements patched together quickly and incompletely and it's full of lousy lyrics. Some decent moments and Brian sounds great (especially for an old man) but I may never play it again start through finish.

I'm getting old and jaded, perhaps.
    Listened to Baptism again: the verse riff is neat, a bit different but doesn't have emotional "weight" to me; it sounds like something from a weird cartoon action scene. The chorus is tuneless, to me — no hook at all. Lyrics are... Let's not go there. It is "rocking" and has energy. But that's a low bar, for me, to achieve from this once untouchable band.
    Posted By: Bedlam_in_TorontoMy grade would be a C- as I think it's a forgettable album that had its arrangements patched together quickly and incompletely and it's full of lousy lyrics. Some decent moments and Brian sounds great (especially for an old man) but I may never play it again start through finish.
    Dogs of War is great, rest is pretty much as you describe it. If there is another album in the pipeline at this point it has to be better than this. Drop BoB and get a proper producer onboard, but let’s be real....ain’t gonna happen.
    •  
    • Jan 8th 2020

Posted By: Badlands66
    Posted By: Bedlam_in_TorontoMy grade would be a C- as I think it's a forgettable album that had its arrangements patched together quickly and incompletely and it's full of lousy lyrics. Some decent moments and Brian sounds great (especially for an old man) but I may never play it again start through finish.
    Dogs of War is great, rest is pretty much as you describe it. If there is another album in the pipeline at this point it has to be better than this. Drop BoB and get a proper producer onboard, but let’s be real....ain’t gonna happen.

BoB *is* a proper producer. You may not like his style but that has no bearings on his being bona fide. They obviously persist with him for a reason, and it most likely is that they like the results achieved with him at the console.
    Posted By: Briany

BoB *is* a proper producer. You may not like his style but that has no bearings on his being bona fide. They obviously persist with him for a reason, and it most likely is that they like the results achieved with him at the console.

Right, his familiar, easy to please, yes man attitude has probably no bearing on Angus whatsoever. God forbid that he should employ somebody that dares to push him and force him to develop his bits and pieces of riffs into proper, high quality songs. We are well and truly past such bold and daring escapades at this stage of their career right?

Too much hard work, gullible suckers will fork over their hard earned cash anyways.
    • Jan 8th 2020

I really like the sound of Rock Or Bust, I just wish they'd not done all the fannying about, it didn't need it. In fact, the basic sound of the album is great, whack on the first two songs nice and loud, it's a great mid-point between the band's natural sound and a commercial edge.

My thoughts are as per savsav's..

Posted By: savsavI'm a big fan of ROB . To me it sounds fresh and alive . A great effort from the band and miles better that i thought it was going to be . I listen to tracks from it all of the time .
    •  
    • Jan 8th 2020

Right, his familiar, easy to please, yes man attitude has probably no bearing on Angus whatsoever. God forbid that he should employ somebody that dares to push him and force him to develop his bits and pieces of riffs into proper, high quality songs. We are well and truly past such bold and daring escapades at this stage of their career right?

Too much hard work, gullible suckers will fork over their hard earned cash anyways.

The two times where the band were forced to pour over their material (FTATR and Ballbreaker), the experience has always been spoken about negatively by the band. You can't get blood from a stone. If the band rolls into the studio with a song the quality of GSRnRT, which took a few years to come up with, you ain't gonna get anyone to take that and, in a few weeks, have a 'proper, high-quality song'. Same goes for pretty much any filler material. You can tweak things and have a few ideas in the studio, sure, but besides that the songs are what they are. And the idea of BoB being a yes man appears to have no actual basis, given we aren't there to watch how he directs the band. It's not like they're doing a 'Year and a Half in the Life of Metallica' job on the recording process. If you have a problem with the output, you have to blame the band, first and foremost.
    • Jan 8th 2020

The two times where the band were forced to pour over their material (FTATR and Ballbreaker), the experience has always been spoken about negatively by the band.

I re-read that Mal interview earlier, where he says they only like FTATR off that album. I really hope they've changed their views later on, with the benefit of time. I listen to Breaking The Rules, Spellbound and a couple of others and enjoy them as much as anything they've ever done..

And I'd like to sit down with them with booze, blast out FOTS and FTW and say "do you not realise how great these records are?!"
    Posted By: 900

The two times where the band were forced to pour over their material (FTATR and Ballbreaker), the experience has always been spoken about negatively by the band.

I re-read that Mal interview earlier, where he says they only like FTATR off that album. I really hope they've changed their views later on, with the benefit of time. I listen to Breaking The Rules, Spellbound and a couple of others and enjoy them as much as anything they've ever done..

And I'd like to sit down with them with booze, blast out FOTS and FTW and say "do you not realise how great these records are?!"
    That saddens me tbh. I wouldn’t be surprised if Mal let his sour feelings from the recording process flow onto his view of the actual songs, or maybe he was disappointed that the follow-up to BIB had only one real “behemoth” track in comparison to BIB’s 4-5. Still, it’s all a matter of perspective, cause I’d bet that Evil Walks would be considered an all time classic if it became a concert staple.

That brings me to another interesting topic - how much does the band’s own view of their material reflect its popularity? Imagine if they released TRE, and never played TS live - would it be nearly as popular as it is? Would it be another track, like GFH, that the hardcore fans adore yet nobody else seems to know?
    On the topic of the band disregarding much of their catalog, I found this audio clip a few days ago where it’s brought up to Mal.

About the 40 second mark. Don’t get your hopes up for a long answer
    Rock or Bust is a way better album than SUL and BI. Those albums aren’t the band I know. In defense of SUL, I get it’s supposed to be a bluesier album, but if rest of the album was like CSS in that regard it would’ve been awesome. It’s an awkward mix of the band trying to be themselves with SUL and SB, and trying to be laid back and bluesy. Hard Times is a perfect example of the band being bluesy as hell while still maintaining the power they’re known for.

And BI is 5 or 6 tracks too long, with the worst song quality consistency since DDDDC.

If Rock or Bust is their last album, I am 100% okay with that as it is their fuck you to everyone thinking that Stevie and Angus couldn’t cut it. They did. And they did it well, even if RNRThunder made the final thing. I listen to it regularly and will continue to do so until I find more music that will eventually pull me out of AC/DC for a while.
    Solid album.
    • Jan 8th 2020

Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinI wouldn’t be surprised if Mal let his sour feelings from the recording process flow onto his view of the actual songs

I would think so, but I also think that Mal might have, or could have, come to appreciate it. I don't find the album 'bits and pieces' as Mal said, but maybe that was the impression he got from all the studio time. I also don't find it doesn't flow well (whilst totally respecting Mal's view on his own album), I think it flows great.

Posted By: Spellbound
    If Rock or Bust is their last album, I am 100% okay with that as it is their fuck you to everyone thinking that Stevie and Angus couldn’t cut it. They did. And they did it well

Agree.
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinOn the topic of the band disregarding much of their catalog, I found this audio clip a few days ago where it’s brought up to Mal.

About the 40 second mark. Don’t get your hopes up for a long answer

I remember when this came out. Good interview. At the time most of us thought Black Ice would be their last album so it was great to hear Malcolm say there was going to be another one.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: JW147
    • Jan 9th 2020

Posted By: Bedlam_in_TorontoListened to Baptism again: the verse riff is neat, a bit different but doesn't have emotional "weight" to me; it sounds like something from a weird cartoon action scene. The chorus is tuneless, to me — no hook at all. Lyrics are... Let's not go there. It is "rocking" and has energy. But that's a low bar, for me, to achieve from this once untouchable band.

Well said
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rikha
    • Jan 9th 2020 edited

DDDDC is a classic album, period. It has at least 4 timeless classics on it, the title track, Jailbreak, Problem Child and Ride On not to mention other great songs like Squealer, Ain't No Fun and Big Balls. Also there's Love at First Feel on the international version which is pretty good. I don't understand why it's not appreciated here, it's classic AC/DC with Bon Scott. What's wrong with you???

I've lost hope discussing records and songs here. People are too picky on almost everything, always complaining about this and that, specially the younger ones. In my time it didn't even have the "consensus" on the so called 6 pack, which is obviously bullshit because TNT and DDDDC should be included as an 8 pack or even 9 pack if you consider the live masterpiece that is IYWB.

ROB is the BEST record they could have made given the circumstances and that's it. I believe it was supposed to be unanimous but surprisingly it isn't.

I can honestly say that I can enjoy every single song they have recorded. Of course you have masterpieces, great ones and also good ones but in my opinion there's no such thing as a bad AC/DC record. Production quality may vary but all in all they always made records that I can enjoy from start to finish.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DrBelford
    • Jan 9th 2020 edited

Posted By: RikhaDDDDC is a classic album, period. It has at least 4 timeless classics on it, the title track, Jailbreak, Problem Child and Ride On

Agreed, but I still would consider it the "weakest" of early ACDC albums, but that's not saying much given their unbelievable output during that time:)

Posted By: RikhaROB is the BEST record they could have made given the circumstances and that's it. I believe it was supposed to be unanimous but surprisingly it isn't.

Exactly how I feel about that, too. ROB is actually a really impressive achievement ...
    TBH I didn't expect it at all to sound as fresh & have as much drive as it does (from a band 40 years into the game!); That's truly remarkable.

It actually proved once more why ACDC's high reputation is justified.
    @Rihka:

Allow me to defend my opinion.

For the most part, I fully enjoy DDDDC. I love the classics that are on the album. And I like the songs that are not classics. But it is an album that, even for the Bon era, is half killer, and absolutely half filler. Half of the album is 12 bar honky think blues riffs that are only brought higher by Bon’d lyrics. DDDDC is the lowest of the bon era imo, as every album in said era for the most part outshines it by a pretty big extreme. And the Brian era after outshines it a ton as well bar SUL and BI, on which all 3 albums are fairly comparable.

When purring Dirty Deeds against Powerage, LTBR, TNT, and even the debut album, it simply does not hold a candle to them. And when taking into account the development the Brian albums has against it, it really is a weak album overall. I still like to listen to it. But being objective, it is by far the weakest Bon album, and IMO,
    Overall one of the weakest albums they put out. Even Bon called it shithouse.

I rank certain albums lower, but for the most part,
    I still enjoy them. But I can’t rate albums higher just because Bon is on them.
    And I can’t rate albums higher just because Mal is on them. I enjoy SUL, and I enjoy a good chunk of BI, but that doesn’t stop me from rating ROB higher than some albums Mal was on, and it doesn’t stop me from rating DDDDC lower than other albums.

That’s all.
    DDDDC > every AC/DC album post 83 and maybe post 80.
    Posted By: WarMachine73DDDDC > every AC/DC album post 83 and maybe post 80.

That’s a crock of shit. But hey, we’re all entitled to our opinions.
    If you think rob can touch ddddc it’s you who is a crock of sht mate
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DrBelford
    • Jan 9th 2020 edited

DDDDC as an album is the only Bon album that I rarely go back to (in comparison). I wouldn't know how to rate it against Brian era albums, but I think it's quite clearly the weakest Bon album.

In other words: Yes, it's obviously way better than something like TRE, but overall closer to albums like FTATR or FOTS.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DustDevil
    • Jan 9th 2020

I have made a new year's resolution to not say SHITE.
    Posted By: WarMachine73If you think rob can touch ddddc it’s you who is a crock of sht mate

Not sure where you pulled that conclusion from my post but okay.
    Posted By: DrBelfordDDDDC as an album is the only Bon album that I rarely go back to (in comparison). I wouldn't know how to rate it against Brian era albums, but I think it's quite clearly the weakest Bon album.

This.
    Posted By: DrBelfordIn other words: Yes, it's obviously way better than something like TRE, but overall closer to albums like FTATR or FOTS.

Not quite sure I agree with this though.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Jan 9th 2020

Love it. Awesome fun rock and roll album.
    DDDDC isn’t one of my favorites, but I still love it for the most part. It’s got one of my favorite album “vibes” of theirs because of the cheap 70s motel on the international cover art and the general dirty vibe of everything. Everything about it’s feeling and production/performances is perfect IMO, but the songs are inconsistent no doubt. The title track, Jailbreak, PC, Squealer, and Ride On are all fucking amazing to me, while ANF is fun (though a bit long). Big Balls is complete filler, but at least it’s funny and has nice backing vocals, but I can’t say that about TGBSR, which is perhaps my least favorite Bon era song. RIP isn’t far behind that, too. Leaving off LAFF on the Aussie version was a complete tragedy, cause it’s fucking great.

@Spellbound - surprised you don’t like SUL. If I were to look at just it’s songwriting, I’d say it’s weaker than maybe any other record they released, but it’s feeling essentially makes up for that. There’s a reason it’s my most listened ACDC record of the past year and a half, and I can’f seem to get enough of it.

@Rikha - Simply put, it’s fun to talk about the things we think could be better. It’s a sort of display of passion, and while being overly negative is a bad thing, fairly criticizing isn’t. I too enjoy every single song they’ve recorded, even if I would label a particular track as a least favorite of mine. The simple sound of Brian Johnson’s or Bon Scott’s voice, or the guitars of the Young brothers, or the sound of Phil Rudd’s kick drum just make me happy. I do not at all dislike ROB, but I’m being honest in saying that I rarely return to it. I am 100% all for the celebration of the entire catalog that the best band in the world has gifted us, but opinions differ and can’t be taken too seriously. Angus supposedly dislikes BB, but that doesn’t stop me from rocking out to CWYPD or HC.
    Posted By: Spellbound

That’s a crock of shit. But hey, we’re all entitled to our opinions.

Just the presence of Bon Scott elevates DDDC above anything post ‘83 for me.
    Title track, Jailbreak, Problem Child, Rocker and Ride On are bona fide classics,
    they were all pulled out in concert well into Brian’s era of the band which says something given how almost nothing post BiB survives past a tour or 2.

Riffs, lyrics, solos and delivery are top notch, all the ingredients that makes AC/DC shine in every way possible, hence why these tracks have retained staying power and been deemed worthy of setlist rotation (some more than others of course)

Sure half of the record is filler as Spellbound implied, but the great songs on it gives it weight.
    Add Squealer to that list Badlands for me as one of best Angus solos on record and which he continued onto LTBR eg Rosie. Does FTATR or FOTS have 6 better songs than those. Prob not IMO.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rikha
    • Jan 9th 2020 edited

I'm not saying one can't criticize or anything like that but I think since the internet became part of our lives on a daily basis people tend to over criticize things that we wouldn't think of back in the day (I'm 43 btw so most of my childhood and teen years were lived without it).

No band can deliver 10 records with 10 perfect songs on it, it's humanly impossible. With DDDDC they were still developing their sound which culminated on their definitive sound with LTBR.

AC/DC managed to maintain a certain level of high quality even after the golden years whether you love it or not.

Another taboo on this forum is TRE which I think is a great album, it rocked my teen years along with the LIVE album and LAD Vhs tape. I don't know, maybe I have a more open mind when a band try different things. IMO TRE was what the band really needed to make them relevant throughout the 90's and they fucking succeeded, kudos to all involved on that project. All of what I said in this paragraph sums up the reason I play guitar the way that I do. I watched LAD almost every single day for a couple of years at least.

Each era of the band may have a different impact on different people. I have a friend that got hooked during FOTW era, so...
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: jonalba
    • Jan 9th 2020

I'm gonna take a hard no on this one, with all due respect.