[ Sign In | Register ]

Aside from a few songs here and here on EPs and DVD collections, it's a crime that the greatest heavy rock band of the early to mid 80s never released a live album/movie to capture that fucking glorious era.

You can like or love the newer stuff, you can prefer the 70s, but you have to admit that for the Brian era of the band that the early 80s were fucking explosive.

Captain Fuckin' Obvious here, just ranting after seeing how threadbare the forum is right now and after a few vodka sodas...

Happy new year, all...
    Totally agree 100%
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: RuddRocks
    • Jan 2nd 2020

Would love to see/hear an official release of the BIB and FTATR tours.
    Agreed, I think they should have released something around the FOTW/WMW tours. There's a bootleg called Flies On The Soundboard that was supposed to be mixed and released as an official album back then but they abandoned the idea. Too bad, cause the performance was very good and those tracklists from that era were great.
    Posted By: Venom InjectorAgreed, I think they should have released something around the FOTW/WMW tours. There's a bootleg called Flies On The Soundboard that was supposed to be mixed and released as an official album back then but they abandoned the idea. Too bad, cause the performance was very good and those tracklists from that era were great.

How did you hear that the band was supposed to release that? Very interesting.

More proof that AC/DC were not (I'll speak in the past tense here) their best judges of their own work, especially later in their career, with regards to set lists and other decisions. Did they not know just how fucking BRILLIANT the entire band sounded then? As much love as the 91 Live release gets here, I think it's a pale shadow of what they did in the early to mid 80s live. Especially Brian's voice.
    Agreed, there are so many great gigs from 1980 to 1985, it's CRIMINAL that we don't have anything from that era outside of the boxset stuff.

Hope they start to mine the well soon.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Jan 2nd 2020 edited

Totally agree.

I have actually just been listening to Def Leppard live at the LA Forum in 1983. Back when they were a rock band. Good stuff! We need some AC/DC from same time!
    Live at Largo represents the beginning of the 1980s excellently.
    • AC/DC rock music: FLACDC
    • Jan 2nd 2020

Mind boggling, isn’t it?
    It's mentioned in one of the AC/DC books that they were planning to release a live album from the FTATR tour, but they decided to shelve it and record a new album instead because they thought Brian didn't have enough of his own songs yet, and it would be too similar to the If You Want Blood live album.

It still would have been worthwhile because the setlist didn't change too much after that tour anyway, with the exception of new songs on each tour. And obviously they lost Phil after that tour as well.
    Posted By: Bedlam_in_Toronto
    As much love as the 91 Live release gets here, I think it's a pale shadow of what they did in the early to mid 80s live. Especially Brian's voice.

LOL, this is some serious revisionism. Brian never sounded as good as he did on Live or Donington because those were supercuts of vocals from multiple shows. To say that he sounded better in an uncut show from 1986 is nonsense. Maybe you don't like his tone in 1991 but he was hitting all the notes on the live releases, which is more than you could say for most live shows at any period. Go ahead and listen for yourself, he was very hit or miss in the '80s as well:

Rough as hell and flat throughout. But again, he's always been hit or miss. I think it's pretty clear that he struggled to have consistency live until arguably 1996. Even in 1981, he was having to find different ways to sing the songs live. By the mid '80s he was dealing with a changing voice as well.
    Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALot
    As much love as the 91 Live release gets here, I think it's a pale shadow of what they did in the early to mid 80s live. Especially Brian's voice.

LOL, this is some serious revisionism. Brian never sounded as good as he did on Live or Donington because those were supercuts of vocals from multiple shows. To say that he sounded better in an uncut show from 1986 is nonsense. Maybe you don't like his tone in 1991 but he was hitting all the notes on the live releases, which is more than you could say for most live shows at any period. Go ahead and listen for yourself, he was very hit or miss in the '80s as well:

Rough as hell and flat throughout. But again, he's always been hit or miss. I think it's pretty clear that he struggled to have consistency live until arguably 1996. Even in 1981, he was having to find different ways to sing the songs live. By the mid '80s he was dealing with a changing voice as well.

I'm a huge Brian fan — he's my fave singer of all time — and I'm not talking about hitting the right notes. Yes, it's nice when he does but I don't look for perfection in music or AC/DC but character. I think Brian's early 80s voice is the best heavy rock voice of all time, flat notes be damned. I'm not a fan of his fuzzy early 90s voice, even if he is, thanks to edits, hitting all the "right notes."

Matter of taste, but I'd be shocked if a poll here would reveal more fans of the Donald Duck Brian vs. the badass early 80s Brian.

To each his own. Cheers.
    One more thing: Do you play guitar, and have you tried a lot of different guitars and amps?

You can play the "right notes" and still not sound great without the right playing feel and set up.

Conversely, you can play in a way that has some mistakes but a ton of feel and the right guitar and amp will just deliver that perfect sound. You'll get certain harmonics from a certain amp that you won't get from others. Think early 80s Marshall vs. a solid state amp that delivers volume and distortion but lacks those harmonics.

That's how I see Brian's voice early on: it has tonal and harmonic qualities his later voice lacked. I'll take those brilliant moments where the confluence of performance and the particular timbre of his voice at that moment in his life over what followed later, even with studio trickery to suggest a perfect take.
    • AC/DC rock music: soda
    • Jan 3rd 2020 edited

I'm 100 % a Bon-era guy, but a live album from BIB-tour would have been great! No doubt.
    A FOTW-live album, not so much.
    • AC/DC rock music: savsav
    • Jan 3rd 2020

I've never left an ACDC gig diappointed with how Brian sounded. This is from the early 80's to now . Bloody YouTube ! pffff
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Jan 3rd 2020

Rock In Rio would be an obvious release for most bands.
    • AC/DC rock music: FLACDC
    • Jan 3rd 2020

Posted By: JemRock In Rio would be an obvious release for most bands.

Yes!
    I think the solution here would be to release Largo 81 complete. Whether or not Lange mixed the whole show.
    I'm a huge Brian fan — he's my fave singer of all time — and I'm not talking about hitting the right notes. Yes, it's nice when he does but I don't look for perfection in music or AC/DC but character. I think Brian's early 80s voice is the best heavy rock voice of all time, flat notes be damned. I'm not a fan of his fuzzy early 90s voice, even if he is, thanks to edits, hitting all the "right notes."

Matter of taste, but I'd be shocked if a poll here would reveal more fans of the Donald Duck Brian vs. the badass early 80s Brian.

I'm a huge Brian fan as well. If you prefer his '80s tone, that's perfectly fair. But when most people listen to music, and judge a performance, it rests more heavily on how well they hit the notes than the tone of their voice.

I don't know that I could say I like one better than the other, unless by "early '80s" you mean his studio performances on BIB and FTATR (which sounded massively different from how he even sounded on the tours supporting those albums). The roughly '84-88 voice was cool because it was very sharp and he seemed to use more soulful inflections in that era. But '90-91 was just so fucking powerful. Like his heart was replaced with a diesel engine! I love them both.

Posted By: Bedlam_in_TorontoOne more thing: Do you play guitar, and have you tried a lot of different guitars and amps?

You can play the "right notes" and still not sound great without the right playing feel and set up.

Conversely, you can play in a way that has some mistakes but a ton of feel and the right guitar and amp will just deliver that perfect sound. You'll get certain harmonics from a certain amp that you won't get from others. Think early 80s Marshall vs. a solid state amp that delivers volume and distortion but lacks those harmonics.

That's how I see Brian's voice early on: it has tonal and harmonic qualities his later voice lacked. I'll take those brilliant moments where the confluence of performance and the particular timbre of his voice at that moment in his life over what followed later, even with studio trickery to suggest a perfect take.

Yes, in fact I just finished leveling the frets on my SG!

Indeed, you can play the right notes and sound bad with lousy tone. But again, I think most people (myself included) would rather hear a great performance with bad tone than somebody playing in the wrong key with great tone! Hitting the right notes is incredibly important (to the point that it shouldn't need to be said). Honestly, this idea you hear from so many rock fans that "it doesn't need to be perfect", or even that rock is not supposed to be accurate, is mind blowing to me. Why then, are great performances lauded by hardcore fans? When you want to show off the band to somebody, why do you pick a great performance? And of course, there's a difference between imperfections like Angus flubbing a note in an otherwise stellar performance like Glasgow '78, and just being flat through a whole song. The Youngs don't just play a guitar that is flat through a whole show, they get a backup from the tech because it does matter, very much. Hell, part of the reason the Mutt albums sound so fantastic is because their guitars are set up very well with great intonation, proper nut height and being very carefully tuned to pitch.

Of course, this is all moot because in all likelihood, were they to release an '80s gig, they would patch it together just like any other. Which reinforces my point that nobody would buy the DVD if Brian were flat the whole show. They would come expecting a performance at least as good as River Plate, with the man 30 years younger. The problem with that is that you don't have any other takes to source material from on those tours. At least, not that could be convincingly patched in without being clearly recorded with entirely different equipment and surviving in a different condition over 40-odd years. That's probably the biggest hurdle to releasing anything if they even did have one '80s show in stellar quality; it would have to be left alone, which they seem reluctant to do.
    Posted By: savsavI've never left an ACDC gig diappointed with how Brian sounded. This is from the early 80's to now . Bloody YouTube ! pffff

Yeah, damn that audio evidence shattering my rose tinted nostalgia shades!

As always, being there in person, you tend to miss things as it all blends together. And of course, vocals often get buried in the mix. However, the soundboard don't lie.

Posted By: JemRock In Rio would be an obvious release for most bands.

Is it known that the band have a quality recording of Rio? I wouldn't think they even have the rights to it; it was recorded by the festival and shown on local TV. Releasing it in the godawful quality we've seen it in would not be obvious.
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocker75
    • Jan 4th 2020

Considering the wealth of soundboard recordings that must surely exist in the archives, it would be amazing if they released a massive box set of live recordings.

Imagine a collection that included a show from every one of their major tours!
    Posted By: Rocker75Considering the wealth of soundboard recordings that must surely exist in the archives, it would be amazing if they released a massive box set of live recordings.

Imagine a collection that included a show from every one of their major tours!

I would become celibate as sex would never give me the orgasm that this release would.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Ian Sane
    • Jan 4th 2020

No official live album from the cannon and bell tour leaves a gaping hole in the bands history, something that really needs to be rectified.
    Posted By: Ian SaneNo official live album from the cannon and bell tour leaves a gaping hole in the bands history, something that really needs to be rectified.

What a shout. Absolutely.
    Posted By: Rocker75Considering the wealth of soundboard recordings that must surely exist in the archives, it would be amazing if they released a massive box set of live recordings.

Again, what makes you think this is the case? They offered nothing or next-to-nothing entirely new with Backtracks, IIRC.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: FreoBoy
    • Jan 5th 2020

There is a treasure trove of stuff locked away, I here and now bet my left nut on it.....
    In my opinion they should follow what a lot of other bands have done with reissues and release a 2nd disc with a live gig of the respective tour that followed.

Imagine it...

Back In Black with say Tokyo or Melbourne '80 or another possibly unheard soundboard of the era.

FTATR with Largo '81

Flick Of The Switch with Detroit '83,or Largo '83 ect.

Fly On The Wall with Dallas or Austin Texas '85

Who Made Who with Irvine CA '86 or another soundboard gig of the era.

BUYV with Melbourne or Johnson City, or Wembley '88

TRE is covered rather well,but they could still add a gig in there I suppose

Ballbreaker with a gig that includes Down Payment Blues and Cover You In Oil, since we're missing them on No Bull or even add Vh-1 studios

SUL with a gig that features Satellite Blues,Meltdown,Get It Hot, stuff not on SUL live ect.

Black Ice could have a gig with High Voltage or Anything Goes (although I could care less about Anything Goes, something different would at least warrant the inclusion.)

Hell, they could include Melbourne 2010 or even Mal's last show.

ROB could toss in Wrigley 2015 I suppose.

And that's just Brian's era...tons of gigs to be chosen, tons of things left out, Rock In Rio '85, Donington '84, Donington '81....

A massive live boxset is needed.
    The gigs mentioned are known to exist due to bootlegs we have, obviously if released the quality would be a massive improvement.

The real question is, do they have all the elements needed for some of these major gigs (Largo '81,Rio '85 ect.) To remix and clean them up properly. All we can do is hope that if and when they get around to trying is that they have what they need to do it right.

LTBR the Movie's re-release was a mess between the Sony/Warner conflict and they apparent loss of the multi tracks. How we went from a stereo mix on Bonfire in '97 to a mono mix in '11 is quite the shame.

Hope that Largo's tapes are stored well and ready for some archival love soon.
    •  
    • Jan 6th 2020

There are heaps of top notch live recordings that could be put out officially.
    Any of the radio performances for a start...
    Baffles me that this band has been going for 40+ years and we have such little live material, extra's, unreleased stuff etc compared to pretty much every other band out there.
    Posted By: nitroangus23A massive live boxset is needed.

Here here. And by the way I like the idea of studio with a live release from the respective eras; especially important for younger generations getting into DC to hear the live material
    Posted By: nitroangus23

TRE is covered rather well,but they could still add a gig in there I suppose

Detroit, if they have a better quality version.

Posted By: nitroangus23The gigs mentioned are known to exist due to bootlegs we have, obviously if released the quality would be a massive improvement.

The real question is, do they have all the elements needed for some of these major gigs (Largo '81,Rio '85 ect.) To remix and clean them up properly. All we can do is hope that if and when they get around to trying is that they have what they need to do it right.

LTBR the Movie's re-release was a mess between the Sony/Warner conflict and they apparent loss of the multi tracks. How we went from a stereo mix on Bonfire in '97 to a mono mix in '11 is quite the shame.

Hope that Largo's tapes are stored well and ready for some archival love soon.

That's just it though; LTBR was literally released cinematically and they couldn't locate the masters. If they would have kept anything at all, logically it would be that. What makes you think they have well stored masters of random shows from an era the band don't want to acknowledge exists?

And wasn't there Largo stuff on Backtracks in the same quality we've already had it in for years?
    •  
    • Jan 7th 2020

I'd rather they release any live stuff separately.
    I'm not a fan of expanded reissues, I have the albums and love them as they are.
    Put out separate live albums or rarities sets.
    Jailbreak from ‘85 on backtracks sounds fucking great. Guess they figured that’s all we wanted from that show.

Agreed with all that’s said here - just take my damn money!

A humungous box set of entire live shows would be great, though I have a feeling that they considered Backtracks to be that and there’s no need for anything else.
    • AC/DC rock music: Strat54
    • Jan 7th 2020

I always thought the excuse there wasn't enough Brian material and it would be unfair to him as pretty bizarre. The guy was in top notch vocal form and did the Bon songs great....LTBR from the Capitol Landover '81 and they could have put 4 or 5 BIB songs and keep LTBR, WLR, HV, BBB from IYWB and do a couple of other Bon songs. Would be a pretty different album and it's not like BIB was a dud album to take songs. from. Hindsight would say they never had a more explosive album or Brian in as great form vocally ever again.

Again, what makes you think this is the case? They offered nothing or next-to-nothing entirely new with Backtracks, IIRC.

Cirkus Krone wasn't new?
    They missed the chance with Pluged in when they didn't release full versions of those FOTS shows and other stuff on there.
    Posted By: soulstripper666

Cirkus Krone wasn't new?

Didn't we have that before Backtracks? Maybe not in as good quality. Either way, I said "next to nothing".
    Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALot
    Posted By: soulstripper666

Cirkus Krone wasn't new?

Didn't we have that before Backtracks? Maybe not in as good quality. Either way, I said "next to nothing".

Not complete, only 2 or 3 tracks on Plug Me In. It was a treat to get the complete concert!
    Posted By: Strat54I always thought the excuse there wasn't enough Brian material and it would be unfair to him as pretty bizarre. The guy was in top notch vocal form and did the Bon songs great....LTBR from the Capitol Landover '81 and they could have put 4 or 5 BIB songs and keep LTBR, WLR, HV, BBB from IYWB and do a couple of other Bon songs. Would be a pretty different album and it's not like BIB was a dud album to take songs. from. Hindsight would say they never had a more explosive album or Brian in as great form vocally ever again.

Agreed. When I brought that up above, I forgot to clarify that I disagree with their decision not to release a live album from the early 80s. They definitely should have released one.

At the time they couldn't have known that the FTATR tour was probably the best tour of the Brian era, but nothing lasts forever so they should have taken the opportunity.
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinJailbreak from ‘85 on backtracks sounds fucking great. Guess they figured that’s all we wanted from that show.

Backing vocals are hilarious though.
    Posted By: tomscotland
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinJailbreak from ‘85 on backtracks sounds fucking great. Guess they figured that’s all we wanted from that show.

I still have a hard time believing that the show isn’t from 88.

That or Malcolm hadn’t had a glass of water in a year whilist playing through a bad hangover.
    This is one of the infinite reasons that we NEED Largo.

I know it's "un-ACDC", but I love spontaneous bits of fun that might take you out of the music and show a sense of humor. Some might be pissed that Brian couldn't even sing the next verse without laughing and having to restart it after the reindeer came by, but I personally love stuff like that sometimes more than if he sang it perfectly because it's unexpected, fun, and shows the sense of humor of the lovable man. Not everything has to go according to plan, because ultimately a concert is for entertainment, and while music is 99% of that, there's still room for frontman interaction with the crowd and for things like this. Such a great moment.

I might even chose a high quality official CD/DVD release of the show over a new record.
    • AC/DC rock music: Strat54
    • Jan 12th 2020

'we didn't think it would be fair to Brian to release a live album so soon after joining' . ..words to cry over
    Posted By: Spellbound

That or Malcolm hadn’t had a glass of water in a year whilist playing through a bad hangover.

Well it was released on the b side of syf...
    Posted By: Spellbound

Well it was released on the b side of syf...

I know. It just blows my mind.
    Gotcha. Aye, it’s strange.
    Posted By: sodaI'm 100 % a Bon-era guy, but a live album from BIB-tour would have been great! No doubt.

Anything live from 80-83 would shred
    Posted By: ianbigmac
    Posted By: sodaI'm 100 % a Bon-era guy, but a live album from BIB-tour would have been great! No doubt.

Anything live from 80-83 would shred

Some of the best boots I’ve heard are from the FOTW tour. Minus the horrific FOTW production, Brian sounded like a demon.
    Exactly. Those two soundboards from Texas in 1985 are fantastic.