[ Sign In | Register ]

Hi Gents,

I was reading the 'This place is dying' thread and thought I'd ask a question I've wondered for awhile (seems like a good time to do it when there isn't much going on).

One of the craziest things about Angus is that he can move around the stage like he does whilst playing near perfectly. But do you think there are any songs that he doesn't seem to have his usual stage presence to because of the playing difficulty?
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Dec 28th 2019

I think to be fair there is a trade-off, though in his younger days his accuracy while running about was absolutely amazing. It's still very impressive, but his playing isn't nearly as tight generally so I guess it shows up more now on the trickier songs? I can't think of any specific songs where he moves about less due to song complexity, it's a good question.

In general, I think people underestimate the energy it takes to play a guitar live and do it well, especially if it weighs something. As Angus said, "No wonder Jimmy Page has a slouch!"
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Starsky
    • Dec 28th 2019

Well, after Axl joined, they added Riff Raff back into the setlist. Angus moved less than he used to on the ROB tour, but he still nailed the main Riff Raff... uh, riff, whilst duckwalking! He has slowed down significantly compared to the SUL tour, for example, but his ability to play whilst moving (if not running) around and duckwalking every once in a while is still very impressive. And he still did the "frantically spinning on the floor" stunt during LTBR and his soloing didn't suffer from that either.

Here's Riff Raff from 2016. Axl haters, beware!

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Dec 28th 2019

Good question. Never mind thought about it. Will now.
    Thunderstruck possibly, that one was always difficult to play apparently.
    I enjoyed that Riff Raff clip - thanks for posting.
    How they dropped RR from the setlist but found space for rubbish like RNRT is beyond me.
    Axl had a role in it.
    Posted By: StarskyWell, after Axl joined, they added Riff Raff back into the setlist. Angus moved less than he used to on the ROB tour, but he still nailed the main Riff Raff... uh, riff, whilst duckwalking! He has slowed down significantly compared to the SUL tour, for example, but his ability to play whilst moving (if not running) around and duckwalking every once in a while is still very impressive. And he still did the "frantically spinning on the floor" stunt during LTBR and his soloing didn't suffer from that either.

Music is great. Mickey Mouse dressed as a white pimp from 1988 Toledo is interesting too.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Starsky
    • Jan 11th 2020

Posted By: Bedlam_in_Toronto
    Posted By: StarskyWell, after Axl joined, they added Riff Raff back into the setlist. Angus moved less than he used to on the ROB tour, but he still nailed the main Riff Raff... uh, riff, whilst duckwalking! He has slowed down significantly compared to the SUL tour, for example, but his ability to play whilst moving (if not running) around and duckwalking every once in a while is still very impressive. And he still did the "frantically spinning on the floor" stunt during LTBR and his soloing didn't suffer from that either.

Music is great. Mickey Mouse dressed as a white pimp from 1988 Toledo is interesting too.

I know Axl looks ridiculous, especially when he's next to Cliff and Stevie on stage. He is far from one of my favorite singers, but as a fan of AC/DC, I very much appreciate him helping out the band by stepping in for Brian. He did a good job from the vocal standpoint, hence calling him 'Mickey Mouse' would be unfair and cruel in my opinion.
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Jan 11th 2020

I quite like his look, he's pretty cool. But I thought it was a bit naff to be like that for AC/DC. He could have gone for jeans, t-shirts and cowboy boots, and due to his bad-boy nature, concocted a slight Bon vibe. But still, he's his own man. I've only ever listened to a couple of tracks from that phase, even now.
    The cold truth that upsets many here is that Axl killed it.
    Posted By: MeanstreakThe cold truth that upsets many here is that Axl killed it.

This
    Great voice for gnr, fkin awful for AC/DC but fair play for standing in as the karaoke singer for a few gigs and helping out the band and Angus liked him a lot. Glad that phase is over.
    Posted By: WarMachine73Great voice for gnr, fkin awful for AC/DC but fair play for standing in as the karaoke singer for a few gigs and helping out the band and Angus liked him a lot. Glad that phase is over.

Axl was a karaoke singer? I am not sure you exactly know what karaoke is. Axl sang over already recorded songs, standing by himself on that stage?
    I’ll make it clearer for you. He sounded like a bad karaoke singer when singing with AC/DC.
    Posted By: WarMachine73I’ll make it clearer for you. He sounded like a bad karaoke singer when singing with AC/DC.

If you’re trying to say he was drunk, out of key, and had no technique, you are straight up delusional.

I’m not even happy that he was with the hand, but Christ on bicycle. Give the guy some credit. Any other singer would’ve tried to be Brian or Bon and it would’ve sounded terrible.
    I thought it sounded terrible, like a hyena. Unlistenable. Appallingly bad. Far too high pitched. Like finger nails being scraped down a blackboard. Like a bad karaoke singer. Clear enough now or you want me to keep elaborating.
    The bad karaoke singer:

Posted By: WarMachine73I thought it sounded terrible, like a hyena. Unlistenable. Appallingly bad. Far too high pitched. Like finger nails being scraped down a blackboard. Like a bad karaoke singer. Clear enough now or you want me to keep elaborating.

Funny. Out of context I would of thought you were another person bitching about Brian.
    Axl showed anyone who doubted Brian how good Brian really is. Hells bells - not bad but sounds like he’s shouting too much and in same tone throughout. Good job he was in Hamburg as he almost sounds German. I was at that gig, Good ending.
    • AC/DC rock music: SAU3R
    • Jan 12th 2020

Well that derailed quickly
    Posted By: MeanstreakThe cold truth that upsets many here is that Axl killed it.

I would say he did very well on certain songs and "killed" some of them with his delivery.

The majority of the Brian classics, he did do a great job on. On the softer less screaming Bon tracks I absolutely think he botched it. When he is balls out screaming, Axl was killing it.

So, to me,he didn't do terrible over all,but it wasn't a home run.

I am an Axl GNR fan mind you, I know their are a few here who assume if you say anything to criticize Axl's tenure you're in denial and hate him, figured I should clarify.

I wish he belted it on them all. I hate that cleaner soft "Mickey Mouse" tone he gets when he isn't. That raspy banshee wail of his worked pretty damn good, as evident in Hells Bells above.
    Still would take a half deaf Brian any day though.
    • AC/DC rock music: Big Rab
    • Jan 13th 2020

Posted By: nitroangus23Still would take a half deaf Brian any day though.
    Nuff said.
    Axl gave it his all which I like and did justice to both eras. Did it sound 'right'? No, but when you've grown up playing Bon & Brian for 30 years a new voice is gonna sound off. Axl on the high notes was terrific, he's a pro that way, although Brian's latter years voice has more flavour and character to it.

Why was angus killing the three stabs on the A after the twiddly bit? Like staccato or damping without letting it ring out?
    Posted By: Geordie_boot_boyAxl gave it his all which I like and did justice to both eras. Did it sound 'right'? No, but when you've grown up playing Bon & Brian for 30 years a new voice is gonna sound off. Axl on the high notes was terrific, he's a pro that way, although Brian's latter years voice has more flavour and character to it.

One thing that I did think was cool, is that he exceeded above what was expected of him by pretty much everyone. Was good to see him be professional and push him self again.One thing for sure, is that he didn't phone it in.

He sounded in pain on a lot of Brian's stuff,and that comment about some of the songs being the hardest he's ever had to sing was a cool tip of the hat to Brian imo.

I give him props for giving it a fair go, even if I don't care for the over all sound, it's not Axl's fault he is Axl.
    I've never seen Angus move on the Thunderstruck intro riff. I can play the song well myself, you practically have to stare at the fret board in order to play the intro. The rest of the song is very easy (on lead guitar) and he takes off running after the intro. The intro riff is also repeated in the middle of the song after the solo, and he barely moves during that part as well.
    Posted By: tomscotland

Why was angus killing the three stabs on the A after the twiddly bit? Like staccato or damping without letting it ring out?

That drives me nuts. You can tell he’s trying to let it ring out a couple times but ends up muting it anyways.