[ Sign In | Register ]

•  
      AC/DC rock music: angus1878
    • Mar 25th 2019

Chris will play Comfortably Numb in his TimeLine set list.
    Thats cool footage.
    If only the Youngs had let Slade use the ride cymbal!

#FREETHERIDE
    Posted By: WholelottatobeThats cool footage.

Very cool indeed.
    Nice. Reminds me of the awesome story Chris had of David Gilmour calling him up early morning to join his tour and he of course accepted and the same day in the afternoon Jimmy Page called him to see if he would be interrested to join his new band project - hah talk abouy a weird day but a dream come true.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rikha
    • Mar 26th 2019

The guy only played with legends and yet you hear some people here going as far as saying "he doesn't know how to play drums". I'm a 100% Phil Rudd guy but I have never disrespected the man and I'm grateful for what he did for AC/DC, specially when the weight of the world fell on Angus' shoulders in recent years. Live at Donington is probably the show I watched the most in my life because it was the first VHS of the band I ever owned so I'll always have a soft spot for him. Great video, I love David Gilmour's guitar tone and singing.
    • AC/DC rock music: rideon77
    • Mar 26th 2019

Chris only played with the best
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Mar 26th 2019

Chris played well with all the artists he played with. But with ac/dc it never matched 100%. Not in 90-93 and certainly not in '15-'16. AC/DC need a minimal drummer butbwith enormous swing. And most drummers by nature don't want to be minimal.
    •  
    • Mar 26th 2019

•  
    • Mar 26th 2019

Posted By: ThankassChris played well with all the artists he played with. But with ac/dc it never matched 100%. Not in 90-93 and certainly not in '15-'16. AC/DC need a minimal drummer butbwith enormous swing. And most drummers by nature don't want to be minimal.

Ridiculous. Chris was a beast with the band in 90-93. Perfect fit for the band at that time. He would’ve been horrendous at any time before 83 and after 94.
    Posted By: ThankassChris played well with all the artists he played with. But with ac/dc it never matched 100%. Not in 90-93 and certainly not in '15-'16. AC/DC need a minimal drummer butbwith enormous swing. And most drummers by nature don't want to be minimal.

People tend to think so cause Rudd is the original guy that played on all the classic stuff, had Slade played on that stuff and Rudd on Slades stuff, I'm damn sure people would be convinced he was the real deal.
    Had Chris been allowed to play like Chris instead of being told to play like Rudd, then I think minds may have been changed. There's only one Rudd. There's only one Chris and they have totally different styles.
    •  
    • Mar 26th 2019

Posted By: Spellbound

Ridiculous. Chris was a beast with the band in 90-93. Perfect fit for the band at that time. He would’ve been horrendous at any time before 83 and after 94.
    Exactly what I think. IMO it's in that period that AC/DC had some sort of competition with Metallica and Chris gave a more metal edge to the songs. I remember many friends that were into metal buying TRE & AC/DC Live albums.
    •  
    • Mar 26th 2019

Being a beast, i know, i saw him live in that period. Still doesn't mean that it was a 100% match. Imo at least. This 'sped up metal' like sound during that time sometimes suited the songs and sometimes not. He plays TS way better than Phil btw.
    •  
    • Mar 26th 2019

Posted By: Badlands66

People tend to think so cause Rudd is the original guy that played on all the classic stuff, had Slade played on that stuff and Rudd on Slades stuff, I'm damn sure people would be convinced he was the real deal.
    We'll never know. They both are very different players. The only evidence on studio output is TRE, and he certainly wasn't the real deal on most part of TRE as far as I'm concerned. Big Gun slightly better. Phil's style fits the surrounding music like a glove. Slade on TRE fitted like a glove on O.J. Simpson.
    He played like a demon on the Razors Edge Tour. It was a perfect fit at that time, when it looked like heavy metal sounds were popular. Not that AC/DC ever were heavy metal. But, he gave the band a kick in the butt with his style at that time, pushing the beat more than Rudd. On the other hand, it also felt like a perfect fit when Rudd was back come Ballbreaker. That's the real and traditional AC/DC sound.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Hamps93
    • Mar 26th 2019

AC/DC w/ Slade = Rock band
    AC/DC w/ Rudd = Rock ’n’ Roll band.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Grim177
    • Mar 26th 2019

• AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Mar 26th 2019

LoL Grim, that's freaking me out - where the fuck does it stop and start?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: 42_39_56
    • Mar 26th 2019

I fucking hate that gif so much lmao
    That Gif is golden.
    • Mar 26th 2019

Heatseeeekerrrrr
    Posted By: Thankass

Being a beast, i know, i saw him live in that period. Still doesn't mean that it was a 100% match. Imo at least. This 'sped up metal' like sound during that time sometimes suited the songs and sometimes not. He plays TS way better than Phil btw.

Meanstreak nailed it best. As a band that was showing their age, Chris was the literal swift kick in the ass the band needed to give them edge and speed again.

Shame it was so short lived. You’d think they’d have Rudd go ape shit like he did in 80/81 when he came back.
    •  
    • Mar 27th 2019

^ Giving them a kick in the butt by speeding it up; probably And to match up with the metal sound of that days; maybe.
    But that still doesn't mean that both characteristics were always good for their sound the way it was executed. A '80-82 Phil (or even 75-82) also gave them a kick in the butt by speeding up, but that sounded good. And yeah, i also wished that Phil would have shown a little more of that in his second tenure. Although on a slower tempo it still had a satisfying groove.
    Posted By: ThankassHe plays TS way better than Phil btw.

Come again?

True.
    •  
    • Mar 27th 2019

Phil's version is way more Rock and Roll no doubt about it, but as I witnessed the release of TRE, LIVE and LAD VHS I tend to prefer Chris' metal(ish) version a bit more.
    And before we all go completely loose again on the Simon/Chris/Phil argument. Let Malcolm speak for us;
    Posted By: Thankass
    Posted By: Badlands66

We'll never know. They both are very different players. The only evidence on studio output is TRE, and he certainly wasn't the real deal on most part of TRE as far as I'm concerned. Big Gun slightly better. Phil's style fits the surrounding music like a glove. Slade on TRE fitted like a glove on O.J. Simpson.

Phil had the luxury of being able to mold his style to what the band was lookin' for, Slade never did. But sure...their playing is also an extension of their personalities, Rudd had that natural swing all along probably. Not so with Slade, but then we'll never know.
    •  
    • Mar 27th 2019 edited

Posted By: matirocker
    Posted By: ThankassHe plays TS way better than Phil btw.

Come again?

ps; yeah, the famous fill from Phil going into thunderstruck is nice but doesn't save the total song.
    TS isn't a groovy rock&roll song, it's a rocksong
    •  
    • Mar 27th 2019

The only interest I had in hearing TS in 1996 at my first gig was hearing how Phil would play it. I was not disappointed.
    •  
    • Mar 27th 2019

Also, as far as tempos go they were already way up there on the BUYV tour as has been discussed ad nauseam.
    • Mar 27th 2019

I thought they sounded "groovier" but older when Phil was back. They sounded absolutely fresh on TRE tour...Not as much on BB.
    Posted By: Jack B. NimbleHad Chris been allowed to play like Chris instead of being told to play like Rudd, then I think minds may have been changed

I don't know when this was, but Chris has never played like Phil and it he's been trying to then he's failed miserably at it.

Count me as another that prefers Thunderstruck with Phil. And everything else come to think of it :)
    Posted By: BillyBollocks
    Posted By: Jack B. NimbleHad Chris been allowed to play like Chris instead of being told to play like Rudd, then I think minds may have been changed

I don't know when this was, but Chris has never played like Phil and it he's been trying to then he's failed miserably at it.

Um, the whole tour. If you listen to how Chris plays the songs with his TimeLine Band, then you'd understand a little. I actually saw Chris with the band in 1990. He's a powerful player, who adds an edge to the music that he's playing. He doesn't do lazy, laid back drumming. Chris adds fills here and there to accentuate the music. Is this typical for AC/DC? No. I like it, however. I actually prefer it.

Here's High Voltage done just recently. I'm not sure I am into that little thing where they do a little thing after the line, "why I like to dance", but the rest is top notch to my ears.

Here's Dirty Deeds done recently. Notice the little drum solo thing he does to start the song. I like it. This is Chris's style.

So, yes, Chris was asked to play like the Rudd, or at the very least, to keep it simple, which is not his style. I've heard some people on here speculate that he's too old to cut the fucking mustard anymore because of the way he played so minimally this last go around.

Nope. He still has it. He was asked to play different than what comes natural to him.
    •  
    • Mar 27th 2019

That being your theory Jack, what do you think was different about his first stint with AC/DC? Or do you not hear a difference?

In his own band the shows are about him and his drumming. He's free to improvise, alter and add stuff as he sees fit. In AC/DC he was required to stick to a script of sorts because that's the part he was hired to play. And as has also been said before, playing less "showy" should not be a problem for a professional player. It's hardly like asking Keith Moon to play like Al Jackson is it.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Mar 27th 2019

Posted By: RikhaThe guy only played with legends and yet you hear some people here going as far as saying "he doesn't know how to play drums". I'm a 100% Phil Rudd guy but I have never disrespected the man and I'm grateful for what he did for AC/DC, specially when the weight of the world fell on Angus' shoulders in recent years. Live at Donington is probably the show I watched the most in my life because it was the first VHS of the band I ever owned so I'll always have a soft spot for him. Great video, I love David Gilmour's guitar tone and singing.

I don't think anybody has ever said that Slade doesn't know how to play drums. Some have opined that he doesn't know how to play drums with AC/DC, though. There's a bit of a difference.

I agree that Slade was fantastic with the band in the early 90s. For me, the Donington performance of LTBR remains unsurpassed. Not only does he have the groove down, but his hi-hat work on that performance is insane. The latter point sounds like a minor music nerd detail, but that hi-hat is what lends the song a lot of its urgency, and it's something Phil slacked off on in latter-day performances of the song.
    First, it's not a theory. I don't know why it was different than the first stint. I didn't ask why. I just know that he played the way that he was told. The videos above show that he still has it and could play them much, much, better.

Maybe someday, when Chris releases the book he keeps saying that he'll write, we'll find out a lot of things we aren't privy to right now.....