[ Sign In | Register ]

Lem spoke a lot about Bon & the boys on the bonus clips of Let There Be Rock bluray.

Posted By: azel
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguin
    Posted By: Jake VitaleBomber- believe it or not this album does get some hate from hardcore fans because it’s sandwiched in between Overkill and Ace of Spades. While it’s not as good as those 2 albums it’s still a great album in its own right and it has some awesome songs on it
    Really? I bought the 2019 40th anniversary version of it just about 2 weeks ago and it's ALL I've been playing in the car. It's not as consistently great as Overkill, and not quite as stylistically phenomenal as Ace of Spades, but I put it right up there with them. Only two weak tracks for me are All the Aces and Talking Head, and even then the musicianship on them is wonderful. Stone Dead Forever might just be their best song IMO. Seems the band didn't think so, as I can't find any live versions of it past the Bomber tour.

In my opinion, Bomber is one of their best. I'm very biased as I lean towards that "classic" lineup over all else, and the Bomber tour was my first live Motorhead experience. But even now, its a turn to album.

For me:

1. Overkill
    2. Ace of spades
    3. Bomber
    Totally agree, though Another Perfect Day and Orgasmatron are excellent as well. Bomber just has a swing/bounce to it that makes it endlessly fun. Philthy might just be my favorite drummer.
    Lemmy quote:

"AC/DC are one of the best things that happened to rock n' roll. Without them it would have a very much normal place and it's not what rock n' roll should be about. Live forever boys. Do whatever fuck you'd like. I'll be behind you."

Taken from video interview on YouTube.
    Resurrecting the thread since during the quarantine I had the time to go again through their entire discography. I have all their albums and most of their live albums. I think commercially they never really got as popular as AC/DC for instance, but they're legendary in their own right. Lemmy was really one of a kind and a fantastic lyricist, and very well-spoken. He was a true rocker but he could also use his brains as opposed to a lot of rockstars.

By the way...

I think their 70s/early 80s phase (the one with the "classic" line-up) was pretty much all flawless. "Overkill" is my favourite (as well as one of the most important albums ever released), followed by "Ace Of Spades", but really they were all classics, even the first s/t album. "Iron Fist" as a whole was a bit lackluster compared to the previous ones but it was still not half bad.

"Another Perfect Day" was one of their most diverse albums due to the presence of Robertson and to the more melodic nature of the songs but I think it was great. It's a bit of an oddity in their discography but it has plenty of great songs.

"Orgasmatron" was a return to form and the then-new line-up with Wurzel and Campbell worked as a charm. Ferocious, sleazy record unfortunately almost ruined by a fucked-up production, still the material was so strong that one can ignore that.

"Rock N Roll" is usually overlooked but I think it was actually pretty good. Several good songs and the right attitude, production was ok too. I think it was a bit like "Iron Fist": not their best material, but still pretty solid.

"1916" was a commercial success and it's usually kept in high regard but I've never been a big fan of it. Sure, it's got a few classics and live favourites on it but the two ballads in the middle kinda break the flow too much for me, especially since there's another one in the end of the record (the title-track, which in itself is a masterpiece, even if totally different from what Motorhead usually do best). Good album but not one that I return to too often.

"March ör Die" is probably the only real misstep of the band. Weak production, the Ted Nugent cover was pretty bad and the original songs weren't too exciting. Also, using different drummers wasn't a great idea and it feels like they tried a more commercial route that didn't really worked for them.

Then it starts the Mikkey Dee era on drums. While I do agree the band here went heavier and close to metal in places, they still retained their rock n roll roots the whole time and the Lemmy/Campbell/Dee line-up over the years did wonders, especially during live-shows which became devastating; the "Everything Louder Than Everyone Else" album from 1998 is as good as the classic "No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith" and should be regarded as a classic in my opinion.

I think "Bastards" was a new beginning for the band, which felt reinvigorated and managed to sound modern (for the 90s) without losing their trademark sound. Best production they ever had up to that point, great songwriting. One of their best albums for sure.

I think "Sacrifice" had a fantastic title-track and many good songs, and it definitely sounded heavier than ever, but it got eclipsed by "Overnight Sensation" which for me stands as their best 90s album together with "Bastards". Really an uplifitng record where you got both scorchers and more melodic songs, as well as anthemic rock n rollers; the production was also fantastic. In my opinion it's a must-have.

"Snake Bite Love" was not as good as "Overnight Sensation" but it was still pretty fucking good. It gets often overlooked but I think it was a good one. Maybe it had 2 or 3 fillers but plenty of awesome songs on there.

"We Are Motörhead" was ok, not overwhelming but quite solid. It had a few very good songs and some fillers, the Sex Pistols cover was also great.

The 2002-2010 albums sound all very similar both in terms of style and production-wise, but I think "Hammered" and "Kiss Of Death" are the weakest (but still rocking) while "Inferno" was a true highlight of the '00s and probably the best album since "Overnight Sensation"; "Motörizer" and "The Wörld Is Yours" are similar in terms of quality but I think the latter is better, a very good one for this era, more rocking and less metalish.

The last two albums they did were very, very good, in particular "Aftershock" was excellent, not a filler on there. "Bad Magic" was also surprisingly good, considering Lemmy was already very ill, I think as a testament it was a nice one. It almost sounds heroic in its delivery and musically it's a varied album with some inspired tunes. I think with these two albums the band went out with a bang.

Their live albums are all pretty much good or great, maybe with "Nö Sleep at All" being a bit underwhelming. "No Sleep 'til Hammersmith" and "Everything Louder than Everyone Else" are must-have. "Clean Your Clock" is a bit sad to listen to since Lemmy was very ill and died shortly afterwards but it's a testament to a true fighter who performed in near-death conditions and pulled it off actually pretty well.

To sum it up, I'm glad to have all their stuff and it's one of those rare bands where you can pick every album and always have a great time. They never really fucked up and only the true greats can achieve that. Next to AC/DC they're my favourite among the classic bands.
    To sum it up, I'm glad to have all their stuff and it's one of those rare bands where you can pick every album and always have a great time. They never really fucked up and only the true greats can achieve that. Next to AC/DC they're my favourite among the classic bands.

Great insight!! And yes i agree on your last words there.
    Posted By: Wholelottatobe

Thanx for reading!
    I'm aware it was a long post but hey, they did 22 albums to talk about :-D
    Posted By: Venom Injector

Thanx for reading!

Surprised you feel Iron Fist is "lacklustre" — I think it has a darkness yet a spirit that I really love. The album feels like a big Fuck You to the world and I love that. (Don't Let 'Em) Grind Ya Down is my fave track of their's right now and such an unknown classic.
    Posted By: Bedlam_in_Toronto

Thanx for reading!

Surprised you feel Iron Fist is "lacklustre" — I think it has a darkness yet a spirit that I really love. The album feels like a big Fuck You to the world and I love that. (Don't Let 'Em) Grind Ya Down is my fave track of their's right now and such an unknown classic.

The title track has one of my favorite moments in music as a whole. 1:29 is just such a "holy shit" moment for me, and it makes me really miss this lineup. Fast Eddie was such a great fucking player it's not even funny.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Apr 21st 2020

Iron Fist is my most favourite Motorhead song. And that part at 1:29m is indeed killer.
    We are Motorhead and we play rock & roll.

The mantra that Lemmy lived by. I was lucky enough to meet him when he did a book signing at Virgin Megastore in Oxford Street, at
    the launch of his autobiography.
    When I got to him, he asked my name and started to sign...……..'So, what do you think of AC/DC?', I asked.
    Well, you couldn't stop Lem then! He waxed lyrically over the music, Bon, the work ethic, Brian, Angus etc. So much so, the security
    intervened and said, 'Lemmy, we need to keep this queue moving.'

Lemmy's reply was priceless. 'I'm fucking talking! About AC/DC!!'
    Great story, beanofire.

The solo at around 3.02 fuckin’ kills.
    In my top 5 Motor tunes without a doubt.
    Posted By: Bedlam_in_TorontoSurprised you feel Iron Fist is "lacklustre" — I think it has a darkness yet a spirit that I really love. The album feels like a big Fuck You to the world and I love that. (Don't Let 'Em) Grind Ya Down is my fave track of their's right now and such an unknown classic.

The title-track of course is a classic tune and there are some cool tracks throughout but the album as a whole feels kinda lacklustre compared to their previous material and the production lacks a bit of punch, especially in the drums. Songwriting has highs and lows, Lemmy himself said they kinda patched the album together. Still, it's not a bad album by any means, but it sounds a bit flat especially since the previous ones were all classics.
    Last night I was watching this one:

Jeez, they were furious here! The twin guitar attack is devastating and stuff like "Mean Machine" is brutal. They must have all been on speed cause the whole set is frantic.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jet1984
    • Apr 21st 2020

Just listened to Inferno and Everthing Louder again. Damn I miss this band. Can't find many songs I'd skip!
    Posted By: Venom InjectorLast night I was watching this one:

Jeez, they were furious here! The twin guitar attack is devastating and stuff like "Mean Machine" is brutal. They must have all been on speed cause the whole set is frantic.
    Phil Lynott appears out of nowhere to play the band's self titled song right at the end. The amount of pure godliness on that stage at that moment is only beaten in immensity by an ACDC show with the classic band members.
    Phil Lynott couldn’t even get arsed to learn the chords to the song beforehand and they had to constantly shout the chords to him during the performance as the tale goes. Their tech made sure his bass was turned waaay up in the mix too, just to embarass him properly....lol.
    Posted By: Badlands66Phil Lynott couldn’t even get arsed to learn the chords to the song beforehand and they had to constantly shout the chords to him during the performance as the tale goes. Their tech made sure his bass was turned waaay up in the mix too, just to embarass him properly....lol.
    Yeah. Still great to see him there, though, and who knows what the circumstances were regarding this appearance. Regardless, he'd been in a bad way for some years by that time, so I'm just glad that something like this happened. Apparently, he couldn't get a record deal for his band Grand Slam due to his bad heroin habit, yet I can only wonder if the habit would have turned around, or at least slowed in some way, had he been out playing shows, making records, and otherwise maintaining a band.
    Posted By: Venom InjectorLast night I was watching this one:

Yeah i often come back to the Birthday party. Fantastic stuff. Great drumming by Pete Gill. Check out at 14:33. "On the road" which later became "Built for speed". Great!!
    Mickey Dee is God
    MDIOG

Got no studio albums, only live.
    Seen them live many times. rock n roll. great live band, never dissapointed. only the last show... Lemmy was to far gone. but still enjoyed it.

We are Motorhead.
    Posted By: Green JagMickey Dee is God
    MDIOG

He's great. Philty Taylor was great in its own right and he was perfect for the 70s material, but afterwards Mikkey was the best drummer for sure. AC/DC should have got him for the ROB tour instead of Slade. He ended up in Scorpions...
    MDIOG

He's great. Philty Taylor was great in its own right and he was perfect for the 70s material, but afterwards Mikkey was the best drummer for sure. AC/DC should have got him for the ROB tour instead of Slade. He ended up in Scorpions...

I guess even God appears in lame hair metal videos from time to time.

Posted By: mutt_langes_perm
    MDIOG

I guess even God appears in lame hair metal videos from time to time.

Haha yeah. There were a lot of great drummers in the hair metal scene though, Tommy Lee is the first who comes to mind, or Rob Affuso of Skid Row.
    MDIOG

I dunno, they really represent two different sounds of the band. Mickey's a good drummer, but Philthy put the "roll" in the sort of rock n roll that Motorhead played. This track really says it all -

That drumming, combined with Fast Eddie's rhythmically "bouncy" riff make for an absolutely phenomenal style, and that style is present throughout most of the "classic" era (though Philthy rarely did straight up shuffle beats like this). That song's a foot tapper if there ever was one, whereas much of the later stuff makes me feel like headbanging. Then you've got songs like Love Me Like a Reptile or their self titled song where's Philthy's just going apeshit on that hi hat, or The Chase Is Better Than the Catch, which is another foot-tapping masterpiece.

For me to denounce everything from a certain time period would be stupid, but those earlier years had a style that for my taste is only beaten by ACDC. Of course, it's not just about the drumming, as the songwriting style changed, too, as well as guitar tones, but that's to be expected once you get new guitarists. That's not to say that they didn't put out good stuff in their later years, just that it was vastly different, and I have my preferences.

Even Orgasmatron had a lot of rhythm and breathing room, and that had nothing to do with the drumming. Songs like Built For Speed really chug along due to the rhythm guitars. Then you've got songs like Mean Machine, which are without that sort of rhythm, that I love just for songwriting reasons. I mean, that song has breakneck verses, and then an almost transcendent chorus. Strange combo, but it works perfectly. Also, the production of that record isn't nearly as "in your face" as some later records, but I guess you could chalk that up to time periods. Then, when Philthy re-joined, they put out one of their most boring records IMO, so it's not just about the drumming.

EDIT: After re-listening to some songs from Bastards, Sacrifice, and Overnight Sensation, I realize how unfair I'm being. I shouldn't compare these records to what I want them to sound like, but rather enjoy them for their own merits. On Your Feet or On Your Knees, Devils, Sacrifice, Make 'em Blind, Overnight Sensation, and Love Can't Buy You Money are all great fucking songs, and I Don't Believe a Word is an outright classic.

"Overnight sensation,
    All mouth and no soul
    The bad boys sold your franchise
    And stole your rock 'n' roll"
    If you yearn for the early Motorhead style, then Aftershock is the album for you.
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinEDIT: After re-listening to some songs from Bastards, Sacrifice, and Overnight Sensation, I realize how unfair I'm being. I shouldn't compare these records to what I want them to sound like, but rather enjoy them for their own merits. On Your Feet or On Your Knees, Devils, Sacrifice, Make 'em Blind, Overnight Sensation, and Love Can't Buy You Money are all great fucking songs, and I Don't Believe a Word is an outright classic.

"Overnight sensation,
    All mouth and no soul

The three albums you mentioned for me are some of their best material, especially OS and Bastards. They were criminally underrated in thei 90s phase, the only album where they missed the mark was March Or Die but everything that followed rocked.

I do agree that the 70s material was special and the classic line-up did wonders, as well as Philty having a fantastic style when he was at his best. During the 80s he kinda lost the plot and it's a pity that they had to fire him, but he couldn't keep up. Pete Gill was ok, but Mikkey Dee really reinvigorated the band.

Posted By: beanofireIf you yearn for the early Motorhead style, then Aftershock is the album for you.

The last three albums they did, The World Is Yours, Aftershock and Bad Magic (plus Inferno from 2004, even if heavier in style) are the best stuff they did in the 2000s. I was impressed at how they closed their career with a triplet of brilliant records, even if Lemmy was already sick. This is the kind of attitude that every rock or metal musician should look up to; they went out still being at the top of their game.
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinEDIT: After re-listening to some songs from Bastards, Sacrifice, and Overnight Sensation, I realize how unfair I'm being. I shouldn't compare these records to what I want them to sound like, but rather enjoy them for their own merits. On Your Feet or On Your Knees, Devils, Sacrifice, Make 'em Blind, Overnight Sensation, and Love Can't Buy You Money are all great fucking songs, and I Don't Believe a Word is an outright classic.

"Overnight sensation,
    All mouth and no soul

The three albums you mentioned for me are some of their best material, especially OS and Bastards. They were criminally underrated in thei 90s phase, the only album where they missed the mark was March Or Die but everything that followed rocked.
    I don't care what Lemmy said, records like Sacrifice are metal. No question about it to me. Not a bad thing by any means, and I do quite like the record, but there's an obvious style shift to be found there. Overnight Sensation is quite a bit lighter, and I like it even more. One thing I noticed about those records is just how good some of the songwriting was. Not referring to riffs/melodies, but to structure. They played around quite a bit with different sections and whatnot, and it worked pretty well.

I do agree that the 70s material was special and the classic line-up did wonders, as well as Philty having a fantastic style when he was at his best. During the 80s he kinda lost the plot and it's a pity that they had to fire him, but he couldn't keep up. Pete Gill was ok, but Mikkey Dee really reinvigorated the band.
    Philthy deserved to get fired in '92 from what I understand, but his initial departure in '83 was his own decision. It's a shame, cause his work on APD was great. One Track Mind just rides along wonderfully, and though he's not mixed as high as he was on previous records, the performance is there. Also, it's not nearly as intense of a record as something like Ace of Spades.
    Also, does anyone know anything about album re-releases? When they announced the Overkill and Bomber re-releases last year, I believe they said it was the beginning of a career spanning set of re-issues or something along those lines. Been holding out on buying physical copies of some of these records so I can get these supposed re-issues instead, hopefully in the same (or similar) format as the 2 CD mediapack releases of Overkill and Bomber with the rare, newly compiled double live albums. Seriously, those live albums are fucking killer, though the one that comes with Bomber has slightly better sound quality.
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinAlso, does anyone know anything about album re-releases? When they announced the Overkill and Bomber re-releases last year, I believe they said it was the beginning of a career spanning set of re-issues or something along those lines. Been holding out on buying physical copies of some of these records so I can get these supposed re-issues instead, hopefully in the same (or similar) format as the 2 CD mediapack releases of Overkill and Bomber with the rare, newly compiled double live albums. Seriously, those live albums are fucking killer, though the one that comes with Bomber has slightly better sound quality.

I'm starting to hope they won't release better editions than the double-album reissues, cause re-buying them all would kill my finances :°D Right now it's the band with most albums in my collection and I still miss two or three live records... Alice Cooper comes close, but I still miss some albums from the second part of his career.
    • AC/DC rock music: goady666
    • Nov 29th 2020

Hey guys check this out for some Motorhead talk.

• AC/DC rock music: Apache
    • Nov 29th 2020

I love (and I have) every album since Overkill to 1916.
    Favorite era: Lemmy/Eddie/Philthy
    Favorite songs: Ace of Spades, Killed by Death, No Class
    Best compilation: No Remorse
    I don't like everything after March or Die.
    • AC/DC rock music: Apache
    • Nov 29th 2020 edited

Posted By: Venom InjectorAlice Cooper comes close, but I still miss some albums from the second part of his career.

Are you Alice Cooper fan too? Very good. :-) I have every album in my collection. Also some compilations - for example 4CD box set The Life and Crimes of Alice Cooper. Many great non-album stuff here. I recommend it.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Nov 30th 2020

Posted By: Apache
    Posted By: Venom InjectorAlice Cooper comes close, but I still miss some albums from the second part of his career.

Are you Alice Cooper fan too? Very good. :-) I have every album in my collection. Also some compilations - for example 4CD box set The Life and Crimes of Alice Cooper. Many great non-album stuff here. I recommend it.
    BallToucher will propose to you.
    Posted By: Apache

Yeah I love AC! Very interesting artist and his discography is so varied. I have all records up to The Last Temptation, I listened to all the others too but I miss the physical copies, I'll need to buy 'em sooner or later, there's some good stuff there too. Looking forward to the new record. Also, his live show is one of the best I ever seen and he can pull it off effortlessly despite his age.
    I know The Life and Crimes of Alice Cooper, cool boxset, it's also got those two songs from the "Monster Dog" soundtrack haha, "Identity Criseses" and "See Me In The Mirror".
    We need a Alice Cooper thread if there isn't one yet :-)
    Bomber mentioned, already.
    Had seen 3 versions of it:

Motörhead Bomber (Live Hammersmith) (HQ)
    832.247 Calls

Motorhead - Bomber
    1,8 Mio. Calls

Motorhead-Bomber Video (controversical)
    4372 Calls

I like it!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Zan
    • Jun 12th 2021

Wow, how come I've never seen this thread before? Motörhead is one of my favorite bands!
    Overkill is easily the best album, do people really challenge this opinion??
    But they do have some great later albums, like Motörizer, Aftershock and Bad Magic. I think their quality albums outnumber the weaker ones, but they do have several I never listen to.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Spellbound
    • Jun 12th 2021 edited

Inferno absolutely gives Overkill a run for it’s money. So does APD.

It’s a toss up for me. Iron Fist as a whole has really been rising up the ranks.
    • AC/DC rock music: St. Looy
    • Jun 12th 2021

Filming the video for Iron Fist, Hammersmith 29.3.82
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Jun 12th 2021 edited

Posted By: ZanWow, how come I've never seen this thread before? Motörhead is one of my favorite bands!

I'll probably get blasted for this, but my problem with Overkill is that the production is a little too "raw" for me. It sounds like a demo almost. It still enjoy it for sure though. I just wish it sounded more like Ace of Spades, which still sounds plenty raw, but is crisper and easier to listen to.
    Posted By: Inferno
    Posted By: ZanWow, how come I've never seen this thread before? Motörhead is one of my favorite bands!

I'll probably get blasted for this, but my problem with Overkill is that the production is a little too "raw" for me. It sounds like a demo almost. It still enjoy it for sure though. I just wish it sounded more like Ace of Spades, which still sounds plenty raw, but is crisper and easier to listen to.

I hear you on that, but I love it all the more for it. I feel the same about Maiden’s debut and Metallica with AJFA. They all have a raw unfinished sound.
    I suppose I love Overkill erm.. warts n’ all.